The Dbacks offseason thread

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Great article in todays Republic. I really like how Byrnes is going about this offseason :thumbup: . I think these deals are ready to get done as there are subtle hints that Byrnes is setting up this trade behind the scenes (Marte to Boston then to us in a Glaus deal). Also, Tavarez for Javy is interesting. He'd be a great pickup in the field and in the leadoff spot but we have to get pitching out of one of these trades.

DALLAS - Maybe the infield dirt is different in the National League, or maybe designated hitters rip more screaming ground balls to short than anybody else.

Whatever it is, for some reason, Atlanta General Manager John Schuerholz is convinced veteran shortstop Edgar Renteria will be a better ballplayer now that he's headed back to the National League.

Schuerholz sent one of Atlanta's top prospects, a player the Diamondbacks may covet, to Boston on Thursday for Renteria in one of the last big trades of baseball's annual winter meetings.
You must be registered for see images
OAS_AD('BoxAd')

The deal gives the Braves a desperately needed replacement for longtime shortstop Rafael Furcal, who left for a three-year, $40 million free-agent contract with the rebuilding Los Angeles Dodgers.

Renteria, a World Series hero with the Marlins in 1997 and a four-time National League All-Star with Florida and St. Louis, had the worst defensive season of his career in 2005 after signing a four-year, $40 million contract with the Red Sox. He made a major league-leading 30 errors.

"We looked at his time in the National League and we believe that when he gets back to the National League in Atlanta, he will return to the Renteria of old," Schuerholz said.

The Red Sox agreed to pay $8 million of the $26 million Renteria still is owed on his contract in return for Andy Marte, a 22-year-old third baseman rated Atlanta's top prospect by Baseball America. The magazine put Marte ahead of heralded catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who is so good the Braves felt comfortable trading All-Star Johnny Estrada to the Diamondbacks this week.

Marte is exactly the kind of player Diamondbacks General Manager Josh Byrnes is looking to bring to Arizona. But when asked whether there was any possibility Marte might be stopping in Boston briefly on his way to Arizona as part of another trade, Byrnes refused to be drawn.

"Without addressing the particular player, every team is looking for good prospects, especially ones close to playing in the major leagues," Byrnes said.

The Red Sox are known to be interested in Diamondbacks ace Javier Vazquez, who has asked to be traded. And they almost certainly would have keen interest in Arizona slugger Troy Glaus if they manage to arrange the trade that their big hitter, Manny Ramirez, has requested.

Byrnes came to the winter meetings hoping, and expecting, to trade Vazquez, but never got an offer tempting enough to part with the top-line starting pitcher.

"It was kind of a roller-coaster ride," Byrnes said of his first winter meetings as general manager. "So much preparation goes into a deal. When you're close and it falls apart, you're frustrated."

Byrnes said this week that eight to 10 teams expressed serious interest in Vazquez, who is due $24 million on the final two years of his current contract. By late Thursday, that number was down to "four or five," not counting the Houston Astros, who are looking for a starting pitcher now that Roger Clemens is out of the picture until at least May.

The Astros refused to offer Clemens salary arbitration, meaning he cannot re-sign with Houston before May 1.

"There is a definite ripple effect as far as us and others are concerned," Byrnes said of the Clemens decision.

Byrnes said he hoped to talk with Houston General Manager Tim Purpura to see whether the Astros had any interest in considering a trade for Vazquez, but the two "missed connections" on the busy last day of the winter meetings.

The Diamondbacks are looking for a center fielder and Houston has one of the best. Rookie Willy Taveras, who turns 24 on Christmas Day, hit leadoff for the Astros and batted .291 with 82 runs scored and 34 stolen bases. He made just three errors and had 10 outfield assists.:thumbup:

Byrnes said all week that a Vazquez trade would be key to how the 2006 roster shapes up.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
What would the Astros want for Tavarez though? My guess is a good amount.

My guess is that they are rebuilding too, with Clemens most likely not returning.

A lineup like this would sweet though:

1B- Jackson
2B- Drew
SS- Upton
3B- Tracy
LF- Quentin
CF- Tavarez
RF- Possibly Millege? If we can trade Javy somehow?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
If Arizona somehow manages to get Tavares from Houston, I'll personally be the first to call Josh Byrnes at Diamondback Headquarters and sing a freaking Christmas Carole.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
If we trade him to the Nat's what major league pitching prospects do they have to go along w/ Church?

The rumor that circulated around the Winter Meetings was that the Dbacks had a deal on table, however, Byrnes demanded that either their '04 Minor League Player of the Year, Mike Hinckley, (who I mentioned earlier in this thread as a must to be included in any Vazquez trade package) who is an explosive LH starting pitching prospect or Collin Balester (who is another prized pitching prospect in their organization), however, the Nationals immediately declined....

Phill11 said:
What would the Astros want for Tavarez though? My guess is a good amount.

The Arizona Republic article cited earlier in this thread mentioned how the Dbacks would probably acquire Tavarez in exchange for Vazquez, however, that doesnt make sense because using Elementary School geography, Texas isnt on the East Coast...so I dont believe that Vazquez would accept a trade there....

I'm predicting this now and I hope it comes to the fruition.... the Dbacks will trade Vazquez to the Mets for Milledge, Kaz Matsui, and probably a pitching prospect... Matsui still has some upside, but I know all of that is a major "pipe-dream" though... Oh well.. no one can fault me for that.. but those are the types of players that Byrnes must get back for Vazquez and I'm glad he has stood his ground thus far....

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
The Arizona Republic article cited earlier in this thread mentioned how the Dbacks would probably acquire Tavarez in exchange for Vazquez, however, that doesnt make sense because using Elementary School geography, Texas isnt on the East Coast...so I dont believe that Vazquez would accept a trade there....
Vazquez only has a partial trade clause. Houston isnt on Javy's list of 6 teams he can't be traded to, so if he is traded there he can't block it.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Vazquez only has a partial trade clause. Houston isnt on Javy's list of 6 teams he can't be traded to, so if he is traded there he can't block it.

This is true, however, I wonder if he would refuse to report to the Astros in a form of protest.... The logic that he didnt include any of the other of the NL West teams was that Vazquez and his agent figured that the Dbacks obviously wouldnt trade him w/in their own division....

I read where now the list of teams still interested in dealing for Vazquez has since dwindled to 4-5....I guess that would include the Red Sox, Mets, Nationals, and I'm trying to figure out the other team... I guess the Cardinals have dropped-out of their pursuit since they insist that the Dbacks cover a large sum of Vazquez's contract....

The 6 teams.... Werent they... Mariners, Tigers, Phillies, Rangers, Blue Jays, and the Royals? For some odd reason... it has completely escaped me at the moment.....

I still love would love a 3-team deal involving the Marlins, however, they wont give-up on Scott Olsen..... The White Sox and Cubs I guess are both out of the running.... I'm not sure regarding the Orioles, so it appears it will come down to the Nationals, Mets, or Red Sox.....

I'm confused as to why the Dbacks would be interested in Marte... He's a 3B, so why would they want another corner IF...Unless they have plans in place to deal Glaus and Gonzo...or would Marte be converted into a CF?

I guess we will all have to stay tuned.....

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
The list is Toronto (for airport customs purposes), Mariners, Baltimore (hitter friendly park), Texas (hitter friendly park), Detroit (because his agent found out about the Ganderson trade and quickly added the tigers to the list), and Philly (hitter friendly park). Thats according to Javy and his agent.... I would assume we'd acquire Marte and stick him at 3rd. I still think the Dbacks are weary of moving chad back to 3B. Or they could put him in LF once Gonzo is gone as I think the Dbacks will end up trading Quentin. It seems like Byrnes is making moves behind the scenes, setting up a blockbuster deal. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Glaus and Marte be involve in the 3-way trade for Manny. As for Taveras, if we could get him that would be unbelievable. a 24 year old CF who has great speed and also plays very good defense..... It seems too good to be true but you never know. Isn't Kaz Matsui making a rediculous amount of money??? I don't want him but it sounds like he has to be part of the deal. You guys still don't think Milledge is untouchable. It seems from all indications that he is. Hopefully the Mets get desperate

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I propose we do a Vazquez for Milledge and Humber and a Glaus for Lester and Marte. Or trade both to the Nat's for Church, Hinckley and Ballester. One question what position does Church play?

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
I propose we do a Vazquez for Milledge and Humber and a Glaus for Lester and Marte. Or trade both to the Nat's for Church, Hinckley and Ballester. One question what position does Church play?

Church is a 27 year old CF who has career averages of 10 Hr, 48 RBI, 3 SB, .266 BA and .335 OBP.

As for the rumored deal, I'd rather see them get Jerry Owens instead of Church. Also, being the Nats are high on Ryan Zimmerman, I doubt they'd have any need for Glaus.

Also, the Marte side wouldn't make too much sense because the main reason Arizona's shopping Glaus to begin with (besides the "work habits" crap that's been reported a few dozen times) is their depth in the Corner IF positions.

I COULD see Marte being involved in a three way with Pittsburgh, who desperately needs help at 3B and doesn't normally like to absorb contracts like Glaus's.

Here's a deal I'd be all over..

Glaus to Boston, Marte to Pittsburgh, Chris Duffy (CF from Scottsdale and an ASU grad, fast as hell. Good on the basepaths, has stole 20 or more every season he's been in organized baseball) and Tom Gorzalenny (SP with a good repitoire, solid curve and fastball, great mechanics but lost in a deep pitching shuffle) and David Pauley (Boston prospect who has great stuff, slight control issues that can be fixed) or Abe Alvarez to Arizona.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Snake said:
Church is a 27 year old CF who has career averages of 10 Hr, 48 RBI, 3 SB, .266 BA and .335 OBP.

As for the rumored deal, I'd rather see them get Jerry Owens instead of Church. Also, being the Nats are high on Ryan Zimmerman, I doubt they'd have any need for Glaus.

Also, the Marte side wouldn't make too much sense because the main reason Arizona's shopping Glaus to begin with (besides the "work habits" crap that's been reported a few dozen times) is their depth in the Corner IF positions.

I COULD see Marte being involved in a three way with Pittsburgh, who desperately needs help at 3B and doesn't normally like to absorb contracts like Glaus's.

Here's a deal I'd be all over..

Glaus to Boston, Marte to Pittsburgh, Chris Duffy (CF from Scottsdale, fast as hell) and Tom Gorzalenny (SP with a good repitoire, solid curve and fastball, great mechanics but lost in a deep pitching shuffle) to Arizona.

I think we need to get more for Glaus. If Manny is going to net Boston two or three high level prospects and Overbay netted the Brewers that heavy ransom we should be getting more in return. With Konerko and Burnett off the market we have two commodities that are in demand, a young, power hitting 3rd baseman and former all star and a top of the rotation pitcher who is also young and a former all star. They are our top pitcher and position player so we should be netting future all stars not players that show potential, meaning organizations top prospects just like every team is asking for our top prospects.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
I think we need to get more for Glaus. If Manny is going to net Boston two or three high level prospects and Overbay netted the Brewers that heavy ransom we should be getting more in return. With Konerko and Burnett off the market we have two commodities that are in demand, a young, power hitting 3rd baseman and former all star and a top of the rotation pitcher who is also young and a former all star. They are our top pitcher and position player so we should be netting future all stars not players that show potential, meaning organizations top prospects just like every team is asking for our top prospects.

At the start of 2005, Gorzelanny was listed as Pittsburgh's #4 prospect. Many scouts think Gorzalenny has front of the rotation potential.

Duffy spent some time in the bigs, enough to where he's no longer considered a "prospect" however he's still young and has raw upside (he's capable of stealing 35-40). Other publications had him listed in the Pirate top 10 as well.

Believe me, the guys I mentioned are far from scrubs. If I had a choice between Duffy or Church, I'd go with Duffy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
Nats have no use for Glaus, and I highly doubt either the Mets or the Red Sox are anywhere near desperate enough to accept either of those deals.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Diamondbacks sign Damion Easley to a one-year deal. He will most likely be the backup for the middle infield positions.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=55010

I used to be a huge California Angels fan.... I remember when Easley had his one great season everyone thought he was going to be the next big thing. He fizzled

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I used to be a huge California Angels fan.... I remember when Easley had his one great season everyone thought he was going to be the next big thing. He fizzled

I didnt even realize the guy was still around. However, i must mention the dbacks however awful they have been at times have a knack for picking up washed up veterans and turning them into perenial off the bench wonders. It will be interesting to see if he turns out to be of any use.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather have Easly than give into the demands of Strikeout Clayton. Another reason why Byrnes is doing a good job...... so far.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
The signing of Easley reminds me a whole lot of the Tony Clark signing last year. Let's hope he has the same immediate impact that TC had.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What about Jacque Jones? I know he played LF but I think he could handle CF. He may be expensive but it doesn't look like we would be going after any other high priced players anyway.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont mean to :self:, however, I predicted this signing on 11/9:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?p=847700&highlight=easley#post847700

KLL said:
I won't be shocked if the Dbacks acquire Damion Easley at a minimal contract (a deal similar to when they initially signed Tony Clark last season) or perhaps as a non-roster invitee... He still has some decent power/speed and his versatility would be ideal since he can play all 4 IF positions. Also, he became Tony Clark's best friend when both were teammates in Detroit and he too makes the Phoenix suburbs his offseason home... I'm obviously not anticipating Easley to have a resurgence, however, he would be a cheap stop-gap until Drew is fully ready to become an every day SS and could spell both Counsell and Glaus at 2B and 3B respectively....
I honestly still envision Cintron being traded between now and Spring Training..

I mainly quoted this because I didnt want to repeat the same comments....

Anyways, as many of you know (which I have repeatedly stated on here) that I initially grew-up as a Tigers fan, but, immediately completely switchted all my allegiances to the Dbacks (and all the other AZ/Phoenix sports teams)....

Easley had some All-Star calibre years while with the Tigers (especially in '98 when he hit 27 HR, drove in 100 RBI, and the year before he hit 22 HR, 72 RBI, and managed 28 SBs.... Obviously, that was during his prime years and he had a cpl other seasons of double figures in HRs and played Gold Glove calibre defense, but of course he since become a utility player who can play all 4 IF spots and also CF/RF on an emergency basis..... He was released from the Tigers just before the start of the '03 season because he still felt that he could be a regular day-2-day 2B, but he gradually began to accept that over the past few seasons he spent w/both the Devil Rays and Marlins...

Otherwise, he's a solid clubhouse presence and you'll probably see several segments during Dbacks broadcasts of his close friendship w/Tony Clark.....

It's a solid signing to acquire someone to a 1-yr contract that he can prove himself and at the same time be an inexpensive stopgap.....

So, now the Dbacks have gotten the catcher, and veteran middle-IF, now of course they'll trade Vazquez and hopefully net a lead-off CF, a veteran starter(s), and a few relievers via FA in the process and then they've certainly accomplished all their offseason goals.....

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I know Easley is an all around good player but how do you think his defense and offense racks up against Clayton? Hopefully he's better/more disciplined with the bat than Clayton. I'm assuming his defense is just as good since he can play so many positions but how is his range and arm at SS? The Giants just wasted 27 million on a 3 year deal for Morris :eek: . Vincent Padilla just got traded to the Rangers for a PTBNL. I thought he was better than that but it must be a prospect who was recently drafted or has yet to sign.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
PHOENIX -- The Diamondbacks added a pitcher on Friday as they signed Kevin Jarvis to a Minor League contract.

The right-hander was with the Cardinals organization in 2005 and appeared in 26 games (25 starts) for Triple-A Memphis in the Pacific Coast League where he was 11-6 with a 3.38 ERA.

Jarvis, 36, made four relief appearances for the Cardinals last year and was 0-1 with a 13.50 ERA.

Over 11 years in the Major Leagues, Jarvis has a 34-47 record with a 5.97 ERA in 178 appearances (114 starts).

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to today's Tribune, Easley's contract is for one year, and $700k. Not bad, it also mentioned that he also had offers with more money as well.

Kolo

Reaction score
From Baseball America, under today's Winter Wonders section--

• Miguel Montero is hitting .313-4-14 in 99 at-bats for Pastora in the Venezuelan League. "He is an intelligent hitter with power," Pastora manager Carlos Acosta said. "He'll be another Pastora big leaguer in the short term, 2007 at the latest." Montero was added to the Diamondbacks' 40-man roster, surpassing Phil Avlas on Arizona's depth chart, who was left off and eligible for the Rule 5 draft.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05