The Dbacks offseason thread

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Q is a more solid prospect than Young. True Young has more potential but Q is a much surer bet to succeed. I think trading him for Clement is a serious mistake. I think a couple of our pitching prospects will work out. Perhaps Nippert, Mock, Owings, or Torra (not to mention Chico) can solidify the rotation around Webb. We have to lock up Webby for a few years and move on from there.

We have the next few years to spend on free agent pitchers, we just have to be patient.

Oh and I wouldn't mind helping to start a radio station sports talk show. I got this hot rumor that LeBron is following Michael's footsteps and going to be our center fielder next year!!

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention that I doubt Boston will trade any of their pitching unless it is to rid them of Manny's contract. They need pitching almost as much as they need to rid themselves of Manny. However, they might trade a prospect like Papelbon, but again, I still doubt it.

Last edited:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Q is a more solid prospect than Young. True Young has more potential but Q is a much surer bet to succeed. I think trading him for Clement is a serious mistake. I think a couple of our pitching prospects will work out. Perhaps Nippert, Mock, Owings, or Torra (not to mention Chico) can solidify the rotation around Webb. We have to lock up Webby for a few years and move on from there.

We have the next few years to spend on free agent pitchers, we just have to be patient.

Oh and I wouldn't mind helping to start a radio station sports talk show. I got this hot rumor that LeBron is following Michael's footsteps and going to be our center fielder next year!!

IMO, I'd rather hang onto Young. It seems that Q is somewhat of a headcase and Young has enormous potential. Q will most likely be solid but Young seems to be a can't miss. Young is already MLB ready defensively (which is HUGE at BOB) and when his offense comes around can provide pop and speed. I don't think trading Q for Clement would be a mistake for a couple reasons. If we had Clement I honestly think we could contend for the NL West, Clement is still fairly young and not too expensive, and pitching is way more important than a LF prospect. While I agree that we should stay patient regarding pitching, I don't think that our pitching prospects, besides maybe Nippert, are near close to ready. Owings and Torra are far from ready and their probably our 2nd and 3rd best pitching prospects. Plus, Torra has serious arm problems due to overuse in college. I think we need to bolster our staff through trades in the short term. Guys like Armas and Johnson are not the solution, just short term fill ins

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
He'll accept to go to CHI. It's hard to turn down playing in Chicago at Wrigley plus, if their rotation is healthy, they will be a better team than us next year.

Perhaps, if we sign Lofton, we can trade them Green and some cash for Jerome Williams. That would give us a decent starter who is young and has some upside. If we don't get Lofton, then I can see us trading Green for Patterson and use him as a CF for a year and a half or so.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
IMO, I'd rather hang onto Young. It seems that Q is somewhat of a headcase and Young has enormous potential. Q will most likely be solid but Young seems to be a can't miss. Young is already MLB ready defensively (which is HUGE at BOB) and when his offense comes around can provide pop and speed. I don't think trading Q for Clement would be a mistake for a couple reasons. If we had Clement I honestly think we could contend for the NL West, Clement is still fairly young and not too expensive, and pitching is way more important than a LF prospect. While I agree that we should stay patient regarding pitching, I don't think that our pitching prospects, besides maybe Nippert, are near close to ready. Owings and Torra are far from ready and their probably our 2nd and 3rd best pitching prospects. Plus, Torra has serious arm problems due to overuse in college. I think we need to bolster our staff through trades in the short term. Guys like Armas and Johnson are not the solution, just short term fill ins
Quentin is somewhat of a headcase? What the heck are you basing that on? Secondly, Young is not already MLB ready defensively, one of the biggest knocks on him is his overaggressive approach in the field. Third, Quentin is not a LF prospect. His skills scream prototypical right fielder, where he has spent most of his minor league career and is noted as a solid defender at the position.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention that I doubt Boston will trade any of their pitching unless it is to rid them of Manny's contract. They need pitching almost as much as they need to rid themselves of Manny. However, they might trade a prospect like Papelbon, but again, I still doubt it.

They won't trade Clement unless two things happen (which would occur in one deal)- Manny to Angels, Clement here, Glaus to Boston. I only brought up this issue because Boston is reportedly interested in Jeremy Reed and would give up Clement for him. I think it is pure speculation because I don't see that happening until Damon makes his decision. Is Jeremy Reed the one who was packaged with others from the Chi Sox to the Mariners for Freddy Garcia??

As for Bostons pitching, I disagree that their trying to add pitching. Their trying to get rid off Wells and Clement. They added Beckett and are putting Lester or Papelbon in their rotation.

Beckett
Schilling
Arroyo
Wakefield
Papelbon/Lester
-They have Wade Miller has well

Lets get on that radio show- BS 910

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
IMO, I'd rather hang onto Young. It seems that Q is somewhat of a headcase and Young has enormous potential.

Where did you hear that Q was a headcase? I honestly haven't heard that arguement against him.

While I agree that we should stay patient regarding pitching, I don't think that our pitching prospects, besides maybe Nippert, are near close to ready. Owings and Torra are far from ready and their probably our 2nd and 3rd best pitching prospects. Plus, Torra has serious arm problems due to overuse in college. I think we need to bolster our staff through trades in the short term. Guys like Armas and Johnson are not the solution, just short term fill ins

I know our pitching prospects are not ready yet, but I think 2 or 3 seasons will be enough for us to have a solid staff of homegrown pitchers. Torra only had that problem this year and is expected to rebound. I agree that Armas and Johnson are not a solution (although if Armas does return to form then he might be a part of it). I don't expect us to compete next year. We will be decent in the NL West, but with the improvements the other teams have made, I don't see us winning it.

I am crossing my fingers that Ortiz can pull it together and be a 4.30 era pitcher with a .500 record. I expect Webb and Halsey to have similar years next season and Nippert will be a decent #4. El Duque can fill in and be a Miguel Batista sort of pitcher.

However, like I said in my edit, I think that Boston is looking to improve their staff; and with Wells wanting out I doubt that they will trade Clement. Also, with Schilling's status up in the air, Clement might be the number 2 pitcher there. Plus, they have been said to like Conor a lot more because of his strikezone judgement.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
They won't trade Clement unless two things happen (which would occur in one deal)- Manny to Angels, Clement here, Glaus to Boston. I only brought up this issue because Boston is reportedly interested in Jeremy Reed and would give up Clement for him. I think it is pure speculation because I don't see that happening until Damon makes his decision. Is Jeremy Reed the one who was packaged with others from the Chi Sox to the Mariners for Freddy Garcia??

Yes he was the centerpiece for that deal. I doubt Seattle bites on that because they have been rumored to be the number one choice for both Millwood and Wasburn.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Quentin is somewhat of a headcase? What the heck are you basing that on? Secondly, Young is not already MLB ready defensively, one of the biggest knocks on him is his overaggressive approach in the field. Third, Quentin is not a LF prospect. His skills scream prototypical right fielder, where he has spent most of his minor league career and is noted as a solid defender at the position.

One of Youngs biggest knocks is his overaggressive approach at the plate- too many K's. Every scouting report I've read on him says his defense in CF is his best aspect- Mike Cameronesque. I would say Q is a LF prospect considering nearly everyone lists him as replacing Gonzo when he's gone. Some people on this board like him in CF. Is their really that big of a difference between Q playing RF or LF (especially at BOB)?????? As for Q being somewhat of a headcase, I'm going off what a regular poter on this board says because he lives in Tucson and watches several Sidewinders games. He didn't use the term "headcase" but he did say that he goes in big slumps and it takes a while for him to come out. Didn't know I would hit your sensitive button

Last edited:

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
One of Youngs biggest knocks is his overaggressive approach at the plate- too many K's. Every scouting report I've read on him says his defense in CF is his best aspect- Mike Cameronesque. I would say Q is a LF prospect considering nearly everyone lists him as replacing Gonzo when he's gone. Some people on this board like him in CF. Is their really that big of a difference between Q playing RF or LF (especially at BOB)?????? As for Q being somewhat of a headcase, I'm going off what Espo says because he watches several Sidewinders games. He didn't use the term "headcase" but he did say that he goes in big slumps and it takes a while for him to come out. Didn't know I would hit your sensitive button

He is a young guy and will have slumps. However, he has a cannon for an arm so he is listed as an ideal RF. They were trying him in center, but I don't think everyone on this board lists him as a CF. Our future outfield is incredible strong with Q and Young BOTH in it. Both will cover a lot of ground and greatly help out pitchers in the spacious alley ways.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
He is a young guy and will have slumps. However, he has a cannon for an arm so he is listed as an ideal RF. They were trying him in center, but I don't think everyone on this board lists him as a CF. Our future outfield is incredible strong with Q and Young BOTH in it. Both will cover a lot of ground and greatly help out pitchers in the spacious alley ways.

I apologize for using the term "headcase." I used it because one of the only knocks on him is what I said before- he goes in prolonged slumps. I didn't mean to make him out like Mark Wholers. To me, his slupms mean that he is not MLB ready yet (even though no one said he was). Look at Jackson last year, he tore through AAA and then struggled when he got to the bigs. While Q has been very sucessful at the AAA level, I still think he may not be ready till a Sept call up or 2007.

As for defense, my point was that Q has been listed as potentially playing every outfield position (by this board). I don't think he belongs in CF at all. If Glaus and Green don't get traded it means that Tracy will be in RF everyday or platoon there with Green. Gonzo will be gone after next year which makes it logical that Q would start his career in LF. Thats all I was trying to say. Our OF lineup for the future does seem to be strong but I would willing to part with Q in order to get Clement. Its not going to happen anyways

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
One of Youngs biggest knocks is his overaggressive approach at the plate- too many K's. Every scouting report I've read on him says his defense in CF is his best aspect- Mike Cameronesque.
Many reports have stated that his approach both at the dish and on defense are overaggressive. He is said to rely far too heavily on his speed rather than taking a good approach to the ball.
I would say Q is a LF prospect considering nearly everyone lists him as replacing Gonzo when he's gone. Some people on this board like him in CF. Is their really that big of a difference between Q playing RF or LF (especially at BOB)??????
LF prospects are guys that actually play left field. Quentin has extremely little experience in left field. Theres a possibility he could move, but he is projected as a well above average defender in right.
As for Q being somewhat of a headcase, I'm going off what a regular poter on this board says because he lives in Tucson and watches several Sidewinders games. He didn't use the term "headcase" but he did say that he goes in big slumps and it takes a while for him to come out. Didn't know I would hit your sensitive button
Steve Finley would go on cold streaks too. Anybody willing to call Finley a "headcase?"

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Big difference between Q and Finley going through slumps- Finley did it against the best in the world and still found a way to hit 25-35 HR's a year. I find it hard to compare their struggles. My point is that if he slumps like that he's not MLB ready for maybe a year and would be worth a pitcher like Clement. I'm sure Q can adjust just fine to LF, which is prob where he'll be needed anyways. Once again, sorry for using the word headcase. I'll be more careful next time

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we are to trade Glaus the only real scenario I would like to see is him for Clement and Lester. Or how about trading him to the Yankees for Pavano, Henn, and Hughes? He could be the DH since they have A-Rod and Giambi in the corners.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
If we are to trade Glaus the only real scenario I would like to see is him for Clement and Lester. Or how about trading him to the Yankees for Pavano, Henn, and Hughes? He could be the DH since they have A-Rod and Giambi in the corners.

No thanks. Pavano is trash and neither Henn or Hughes overwhelm me.

Pass.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Nomar signed with the Dodgers. Up to 8 mill a year???? No thanks. Lets go get Lofton before the Dodgers do. Does anyone know if Lofton still lives here? I heard he's living in L.A. which could be a major downfall for us.

Garciaparra, who still needs to take a physical and finalize contract details, will likely play first base for the Dodgers. The deal has a base salary of $6 million and could be worth as much as $8 million, the New York Post reported.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Garciaparra, who still needs to take a physical and finalize contract details, will likely play first base for the Dodgers. The deal has a base salary of $6 million and could be worth as much as $8 million, the New York Post reported.

What the hell is LA doing? I thought they were going to stick Kent at first? Well whatever, they can have Nomaaaah.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Nomar signed with the Dodgers. Up to 8 mill a year???? No thanks. Lets go get Lofton before the Dodgers do. Does anyone know if Lofton still lives here? I heard he's living in L.A. which could be a major downfall for us.

Good news for us, because LA said if they signed Nomar they wouldn't sign Lofton. So he is most likely to come here, since he wants to play on the East Coast. However, the Indians are said to have offered him a contract. Plus, I wouldn't exactly hold LA to their word.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Good news for us, because LA said if they signed Nomar they wouldn't sign Lofton. So he is most likely to come here, since he wants to play on the East Coast. However, the Indians are said to have offered him a contract. Plus, I wouldn't exactly hold LA to their word.

Did he say he does or does not want to play on the east coast? I'm assuming not. Since the dodgers have Mueller at 3rd, Choi at 1B, and Furcaholic at SS you would assume they would keep Kent at 2B. I might be wrong but I thought Kent would go to 1B if they were to acquire Soriano. They still have Izturis and Guzman who could play 2nd, put Kent with Choi at 1B, and put Nomar in CF. I have a feeling Nomar might be their CF'er, but if not their going to have one hell of a log jam in the infield.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Did he say he does or does not want to play on the east coast? I'm assuming not. Since the dodgers have Mueller at 3rd, Choi at 1B, and Furcaholic at SS you would assume they would keep Kent at 2B. I might be wrong but I thought Kent would go to 1B if they were to acquire Soriano. They still have Izturis and Guzman who could play 2nd, put Kent with Choi at 1B, and put Nomar in CF. I have a feeling Nomar might be their CF'er, but if not their going to have one hell of a log jam in the infield.

Unless the Dodgers want to have the worst outfield defense in the history of the game, they will not put Nomar in CF. and thats accounting for a pretty good Jayson Werth...

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Unless the Dodgers want to have the worst outfield defense in the history of the game, they will not put Nomar in CF. and thats accounting for a pretty good Jayson Werth...

Then you would think they will be trading away some parts of their infield cause as of know it's an expensive cluster f

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Then you would think they will be trading away some parts of their infield cause as of know it's an expensive cluster f

I imagine they figure him for RF or LF with spot duty at 1st with Choi. Choi has not produced enought to be considered an everyday starter and do you think LA is counting on full seasons from Drew and Werth....?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Intersting tidbit from Rosenthal:

Speaking of trades that didn't happen, the Diamondbacks offered right-handed starter Javier Vazquez and reliever Jose Valverde to the Astros for closer Brad Lidge and second baseman/outfielder Chris Burke. The talks went nowhere. ...

I love our new GM so far....Its seems like he is the winner in every propsed trade i read about....

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Did he say he does or does not want to play on the east coast? I'm assuming not.

Sorry that was a mistype. Lofton wants to play on the West Coast.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05