The Dbacks offseason thread

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Terrence Long is the most appealing to me. Cedeno is horrible defensively and is like Terrero with less power. Then Grissom has power, but is okay defensively and like you said, lacks plate discipline. Long would probably be one of the cheapest and has a lot to prove, another low-risk, high reward type. While I don't think he would lead-off for us, he can be a decent #8 (if there is such a thing). I have never liked Wilson because of his low average and high strikeout numbers. I would much rather just see what Terrero can do in a full season.

Ishii lacks control, but at this point we really just need another starting pitcher.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Preston Wilson actually might be way out of the Dbacks price-range since he may be demanding around a $5+ mil contract..also..it appears he also wants a multi-year deal which is something the Dbacks wont be inclined to do....

Other possibilities that I overlooked are Ben Grieve and Jeromy Burnitz, however, none of those 2 obviously fill the Dbacks biggest needs.. A 'legit lead-off hitter who could play CF....

I do agree that Terrence Long would be interesting, however, he's more of a corner OF and would defeat the purpose of the Dbacks signing him...Unless if Green is willing to play CF and insert Long in RF....

I believe though it will come down to if/when the Dbacks trade Glaus (who they ultimately get in exchange for him) because that would obviously free-up the Dbacks in several regards quite a bit.....

Edit: There's also the rather familiar Raul Mondesi that is available, but again not the proto-typical lead-off hitter that the Dbacks are in such dire need of and of course he's best years are way behind him....

Edit 2: Disregard Ishii... I just found-out that he had signed a contract to return back to his native Japan....

Ryan Franklin (if not tendered by the Mariners) could be a decent back-end rotation type, however, he's been rather horrid the past cpl yrs, but knows both Melvin and Price..so I wouldnt be shocked to soon see his name linked to the Dbacks....

Last edited:

Arby

Rookie
Reaction score
According to Gambo on 910, Jeff DeVanon is in town taking a physical, and if everything works out he will be signed to a 2-year deal to play centerfield.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arby said:
According to Gambo on 910, Jeff DeVanon is in town taking a physical, and if everything works out he will be signed to a 2-year deal to play centerfield.

Thanks for that info Arby... I just hope Gambo and his sources are credible for once....

I didnt notice that the Angels had released DaVanon last Thursday and he would be definitely head-and-shoulders above any of the alternatives that I mentioned... He can hit lead-off, has excellent speed, and plays a pretty sound CF..... Only drawback is that he doesnt hit for average, but has some decent power to compensate for that... That would be a welcomed addition and another brilliant move chalked-up by Byrnes and co....

You must be registered for see images attach

Jeff DaVanon

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
If they're a 70 win team on paper, does that make us a 50 win team?

With what we have now that sounds pretty accurate. Our ace is Webb. I love Webb, but he's a #2 at best.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far as saying signing DaVanon is brilliant. He's a good OBP guy, but his speed seemed to go down considerably last season and his defense is unsteady. There was also some talk around Orange County about steroids. But I guess he works as a nice stopgap to the Chris Young era.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I believe the D'backs tried to aquire DaVanon last off season. I casually follow the Angels and the only thing I can say about him is that he is a VERY streaky hitter. He can go off for a few games and then be totally quiet for 3 weeks

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
I really like this signing, if true. Terrero would then get a good amount of PT along with Jeff in CF.

We can then see what Terrero really has.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
Maybe it's just me but I think he has some potential. He's still very raw.

I just don't see focus in his game. He plays sort of lazy... This is just my opinion of course, but you don't see the good or great players in the game dog it. Believe it or not there was a time when Barry Bonds played hard

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
I really like this signing, if true. Terrero would then get a good amount of PT along with Jeff in CF.

We can then see what Terrero really has.

I think that can be decent. Jeff really doesn't seem to be an everyday player. Also, the rumored deal is for 2-years at $3.4 million. Not a great signing, but normal with this years market. Certainly better than having Terrero platoon with Q (McCracken) in CF.

Edit: By the way, what has Hairston done to be so neglected by the organization? He was a decent young bat but poor defensively. However, he is a cheaper option (and possibly more sound) than some of the players we have signed so far. Why don't we try to find a place for him while we have openings? It would increase his trade value.

Last edited:

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Edit: By the way, what has Hairston done to be so neglected by the organization? He was a decent young bat but poor defensively. However, he is a cheaper option (and possibly more sound) than some of the players we have signed so far. Why don't we try to find a place for him while we have openings? It would increase his trade value.
The injury down here in Tucson last season may be a big part of it. There is no guarentee he can come back plus he wasn't a proven outfielder. He played outfield, mostly left, for the Sidewinders and was average.

Arby

Rookie
Reaction score
From Rotoworld...

Chris Young - OF - Diamondbacks

Diamondbacks acquired outfield Chris Young, RHP Orlando Hernandez and RHP Luis Vizcaino from the White Sox for RHP Javier Vazquez and cash.
That Arizona is getting one of the game's best outfield prospects makes this a very good trade for new Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes. After losing out on Kenny Lofton, the Diamondbacks haven't ruled out starting Young in center field on Opening Day. However, rumor has it that they're close to signing Jeff DaVanon, and they'll keep looking for center fielders. Dec. 20 - 7:03 pm et

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
I think that can be decent. Jeff really doesn't seem to be an everyday player. Also, the rumored deal is for 2-years at $3.4 million. Not a great signing, but normal with this years market. Certainly better than having Terrero platoon with Q (McCracken) in CF.

1.7 million per for DaVanon isn't too bad of a signing. He's not an every day guy, but if Young turns out to be as good as we think, he won't need to be.

By the way, what has Hairston done to be so neglected by the organization? He was a decent young bat but poor defensively. However, he is a cheaper option (and possibly more sound) than some of the players we have signed so far. Why don't we try to find a place for him while we have openings? It would increase his trade value.

I'm a pretty big Scott Hairston fan, but his lax attitude tends to piss many off. Granted, no one expects him to spazz out after an error, but to smile and laugh about it is a pile of crap.

Once he puts it all together, his bat will be at worst above average, however he really needs to put in the extra work on defense.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind this signing. I don't know much about DaVanon but he's a better option than Terrance Long or Brian Jordan. Is he a leadoff hitter? He sounds like a Counsell type of player yet streaky like Finley. As for Terrero and Hairston being viewed as lazy, that can be placed squarely on Melvin's shoulders. Nearly everyone on that team looks that way. Glaus and Green look the same way on the field too. You don't think if they were playing for a guy like Ozzie Guillen that their performance would be better? A Guillen type manager would jump all over their ass for their demeanor and a very apparent lack of effort. I'm not saying their lazy but the way those guys carry themselves on the field makes it hard to prove otherwise. This post probably belongs on the other thread but Melvins really pisses me off. He needs to send these guys a clear message and catering to the veterans needs is most definetly not one of them.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com...t_id=1285153&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari

The Diamondbacks made a run at free agent center fielder Kenny Lofton, hoping that he could provide a one-year stop-gap solution while Young continues to develop. Lofton, though, signed with the Dodgers, and Arizona has reportedly turned its interest to free agent Jeff DaVanon.

The switch-hitter was designated for assignment by the Angels on Dec. 7 after hitting .231 with 10 doubles, two homers and 15 RBIs in 108 games last season.

Byrnes called the report of DaVanon's signing "premature" and declined to say whether the 32-year-old had taken a physical for Arizona.

"We've been talking to him and some others, but we haven't reached an agreement with anyone," Byrnes said. "We're talking with him and other players."

Without saying who, Byrnes said the Diamondbacks were still looking at a free agent reliever to increase the team's depth there.

"It's a long season, so what seems like enough in December never turns out to be that way," he said.

The team will sort through the list of arbitration-eligible players who were not tendered contracts to see if it finds anyone of interest. Arizona tendered all five of it's salary arbitration players -- Alex Cintron, Johnny Estrada, Claudio Vargas, Vizcaino and Brandon Lyon.

If DaVanon doesnt sign, then perhaps they'll wait and see regarding the status of Endy Chavez, who probably would be the 2nd pure lead-off hitter to be available at a bargain-basement price.. However, he hasnt been released by the Phillies yet, but may shortly....

Byrnes didnt specifically mention starting pitching, but I hope they pursue Tony Armas and perhaps Ryan Franklin (once he becomes available)...

Reliever.. the best on the market is Tavarez, but again he might be too expensive......

In regards to Terrero and Hairston... They're both at the stage in which they cannot be considered prospects, however, they are essentially AAAA type players... Perhaps both require a change of scenery... And you cannot really blame Melvin for their lackadaisical, but it seems to be their nature.. It appears that everything came natural to them initially, so they became complacent and non-chalant...and have taken dramastic steps backwards... I dont see either of them in a Dbacks uniform come Spring Training.....

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks get hteir centerfielder

I don't know if this is a great signing but Gambo has reported on the ASR tonight that the D'Backs have signed Jeff DaVanon to two years.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
I don't mind this signing. I don't know much about DaVanon but he's a better option than Terrance Long or Brian Jordan. Is he a leadoff hitter? He sounds like a Counsell type of player yet streaky like Finley. As for Terrero and Hairston being viewed as lazy, that can be placed squarely on Melvin's shoulders. Nearly everyone on that team looks that way. Glaus and Green look the same way on the field too. You don't think if they were playing for a guy like Ozzie Guillen that their performance would be better? A Guillen type manager would jump all over their ass for their demeanor and a very apparent lack of effort. I'm not saying their lazy but the way those guys carry themselves on the field makes it hard to prove otherwise. This post probably belongs on the other thread but Melvins really pisses me off. He needs to send these guys a clear message and catering to the veterans needs is most definetly not one of them.
Terrero and Hairston were thought of as "lazy" long before Melvin became manager. In fact, Hairston barely played for Melvin last year.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Are we still talking about Luis Terrero and Scott Hairston? We might as well debate where Andrew Good will fit into the rotation or how Robbie Hammock's ability to play 3B and catcher while constantly grinning like an idiot will impact the 2006 season.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:

How is DaVanon better? I don't know much about him but his stats are not good. I would rather see Terrero and that is not saying much.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
How is DaVanon better? I don't know much about him but his stats are not good. I would rather see Terrero and that is not saying much.

Because we're trying to find a CF and none of the other options KLL listed are true CF's and/or leadoff hitters. DeVanon, while very streaky, is a better short term fit in CF but I'm still not sure about him leading off. I don't know much about him myself. I like having DeVanon because it means Green will stay in RF. If we kept only Terrero as our CF, I'm not sure how much he would play anyways as Green would play CF a mojority of the time.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Terrero and Hairston were thought of as "lazy" long before Melvin became manager. In fact, Hairston barely played for Melvin last year.

I was making a point. Someone else viewed Hairston and Terrero as lazy and I put the blame on Melvin. To me it doesn't matter that Hairston was in the minors most of the year. If he was in the bigs, his attitude would not have changed one bit. While some players attitudes are lazy in the first place, it's up to the manager to make sure they don't look like that on gameday (especially the younger guys). As I've said before, if Ozzie Guillen was the manager of this team, don't you think he'd get more production then what we get now? If Tererro acted the way he does for 2 weeks with Guillen as manager, he'd be on the next AAA bus out of AZ.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
He has a significantly higher OBP for one and much better plate discipline. Terrero has just never got better both in the field or at the plate and continues to make mental mistakes all over the place. I'm not that high on the DaVanon signing, but going into next season with Terrero as our starter would have been foolish. As it stands right now all three of these guys will have a shot to start in CF so I'm not too concerned with the DaVanon signing as he came dirt cheap.