The Dbacks offseason thread

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would rather see them trade Shawn Green. Maybe they can package Gonzo with him.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Snake said:
Am I the only one who doesn't want to see the Diamondbacks trade Glaus?? :shrug:

Also, I find it funny that Arizona's "interested in Konerko" when last post-season they shot down a deal that would have landed them Konerko AND Jon Garland (as well as minor league OF Brian Anderson) for Johnson..

What a difference a year makes huh?

Wasn't it Randy who turned down a deal to the ChiSox?

AZZenny

Reaction score
I saw a brief TV interview with Kendricks tonight.

When the reporter said, "It would be a shame to lose Gonzo - Fans would be very upset - tell me he'll be in left field for a really long time to come" Kendricks refused to bite. He talked about how Gonzo is under contract one more year - but he's in his late 30's, and it's much harder to consistently put up the kind of performance that is necessary to play at the highest level, at that age.

That cheered me up a little. He said stabilizing the bullpen is the top off-season priority (I'd worry about the starting pitching, too, Ken). Refused to even acknowledge questions about 'big trades' or any specifics.

He also said that the players were very motivated and competitive this year, but agrees it didn't show up as a 'fiery' or energetic attitude on the field -- he understands that fans appreciate and enjoy having the kind of team where some players really show their enthusiasm and intensity.

My God. If I'm pinning my off-season hopes on Kendricks, we're really in deep goop.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Today's update - they are interviewing Al Avila (assistant to Dombrowski at Marlins and Tigers) for GM; reportedly NOT made contact with Pads about Kevin Towers; have interviewed a couple people reportedly. Why so close-mouthed?

Moorad offered a 1-year, reportedly $1.5 M or so contract to Clayton, saying 'he'd earned the right to come back for another year.' (what a weird thing to say.) Clayton wants a much bigger-paying, multi-year contract - bye bye, Royster.

Stinnett and McCracken outrighted and chose free agency to open a couple 40-man roster spots.
You must be registered for see images

I imagine a few more names will be moved off the 40-man in the next couple weeks.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:

Stinnett and McCracken outrighted and chose free agency to open a couple 40-man roster spots.
You must be registered for see images

I imagine a few more names will be moved off the 40-man in the next couple weeks.
Id like to see Stinnett brought back, unless management is having ideas of upgrading our starting catching all together. Stinnett played real well for a backup.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
When the reporter said, "It would be a shame to lose Gonzo - Fans would be very upset - tell me he'll be in left field for a really long time to come"

What kind of a reporter says that? Geez.

AZZenny

Reaction score
The weird-looking dude on Ch. 10 - Is that Jude LaCava? Maybe 'reporter' was the wrong word.

As to Stinnett - Moorad has said upgrade at catcher is one position player the team is definitely looking to invest in.

Bengie Molina will be way out of our price range, unfortunately, if he decides to push FA at all. Oh, let's see - what aging, overpriced slugging catchers with mediocre defense will be available... Ummm - Piazza?

Other potential removals from the 40-man - Buddy Groom (he may already be off) Clayton, and some of these guys likely will be traded or rule-fived - Cintron (if they keep Clayton), Koyie Hill, Jerry Gil, Josh Kroeger, Marland Williams, Scott Hairston.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:

Bengie Molina will be way out of our price range, unfortunately, if he decides to push FA at all. Oh, let's see - what aging, overpriced slugging catchers with mediocre defense will be available... Ummm - Piazza?
The funny thing is, that would still be an upgrade.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope they go after Ramon Hernandez, Jeff Weaver, BJ Ryan, Kyle Farnsworth and trade for Barry Zito. I think the only way we trade Tracy is for Zito.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Jeff Weaver?!

The only way Beane will give us Zito is for Conor and Carlos Quentin or Drew and Montero, or the equivalent. Tracy wouldn't figure in the mix.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Yikes - now Jim Bowden's name comes up for GM. Beisbol Gods preserve us!!

On a happier note, 'Digger' is gone. He might be a decent hitting coach or minor league coach, but he was hell on the ears:

New color man
The Diamondbacks announced Friday the hiring of Tom Candiotti as the new radio color analyst.

Candiotti replaces Ken Phelps, whose contract expired.

Candiotti, who has been a Scottsdale resident since he retired in 2000, is excited for the opportunity.

"The nice thing about it is it's right at home," he said.

Candiotti, who was represented by Moorad, (uh-oh! :bang: Eventually the guy HAS to run out of former clients -- right?) then an agent, in the final four seasons of his 16-year playing career, has done broadcast work for ESPN and part-time work for the Blue Jays since 2001.

"With ESPN, you never really know where you're going to go," he said. "You're all over the place . . . I'm excited to be able to come and stay home and feel like you're a part of the team."

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Wasn't Digger only here for this year? Either way, he was bad.

I've just gotta wait it out until they hire me for color commentary :)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Jeff Weaver?!

The only way Beane will give us Zito is for Conor and Carlos Quentin or Drew and Montero, or the equivalent. Tracy wouldn't figure in the mix.

Weaver won like 7 of his last 8 decisions and would be a a good innings eater, he'd be an upgrade over Ortiz.

Beane gave up Hudson for Dan Meyer and Juan Cruz and Mulder for Dan Haren, none of those guys are as talented as Tracy, we could even throw in Gosling or Pena. Tracy is a .300 hitter with 25- 30 HR potential, he can play first or left field and is still under contract for a couple of years where Zito is due to make 8.5 million and is a free agent at the end of the year.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Weaver... would be a a good innings eater, he'd be an upgrade over Ortiz.

WE DON'T NEED A FREAKING INNINGS EATER!! WE NEED A PITCHER!!

Heck, Elmer Dessens would be an upgrade over Ortiz, so that's hardly a ringing endorsement. Plus, Weaver's making over $9M a year - I don't see them adding that kind of salary for a mid-rotation guy unless they move Javy (since Ortiz is immobile). Oh yeah - and Boras is his agent.

I like Tracy, but I think people are a little over the top about his ranking in the grand scheme of young players. His mediocre defense, lack of speed, so-so arm all make him a solid but not really exceptional young player. Here, he stands out, but on a lot of teams, he'd be regarded as adequate - that says more about this team than him, but in reality, he's not blue-chip trade bait.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Worrell Return in Question

Link

Diamondbacks General Partner Jeff Moorad spoke with the agent for reliever Tim Worrell last week to begin discussions about bringing back the potential free agent.

Paul Cohen, Worrell's agent, said his client has interest in returning. Cohen added that Worrell isn't sure his family will remain in Glendale and may move to the Midwest, which could play a part in Worrell's decision.

Cohen said no offer was made and expects to speak again with Moorad this week.

Vince Coleman interviewing for 1B Coach Job?

Same Link As Above

The Diamondbacks still need a first base coach to replace Brett Butler. Lee Tinsley and Chip Hale are two internal possibilities, and Vince Coleman and Dwayne Murphy have also surfaced as possible candidates. Another might be Rob Picciolo, who was let go last week after spending 20 years in the Padres organization.

As long as he isn't throwing firecrackers at fans in the parking lot at Chase Field, I'm happy.

AZZenny

Reaction score
The Diamondbacks don't think Tracy has reached his full potential yet, and are now thinking they might be able to get at least as much, if not more, if they put young first base prospect Conor Jackson on the trade block. Because Jackson has just debuted in the bigs, small market teams like the Royals and Devil Rays might be more interested in him, because they'll be able to hold onto him longer without having to give him a long term, high dollar contract. Sources have confirmed to FutureBacks that the Diamondbacks have talked with the Minnesota Twins about a deal that could feature Gold Glove center fielder Tori Hunter coming to the desert in a deal that would include Jackson.

If they do this, I'm gone. Period. This front office is flat-out terrifying.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Hunter for Jackson?? No ****ing thanks.

If Tampa wants in, Crawford may be appealing, but even that's stretching it.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
I highly doubt they take on Hunter's contract.
I'm sure the Twins would chip in some cash to get if a prospect of Jackson's caliber was included in the deal. This organization has become an absolute joke, plain and simple.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I'm sure the Twins would chip in some cash to get if a prospect of Jackson's caliber was included in the deal. This organization has become an absolute joke, plain and simple.
You make it sound like he's already been traded. The Dbacks have resisted the urge to trade him for this long, why does everybody think they are going to do it now? :shrug:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05