The Dbacks offseason thread

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I think the Dbacks ideally want a good pitching and catching prospect out of this. The Angels have plenty of legit catching prospects from what I understand, so this would be a definate plus for AZ. The best part about getting rid of Glaus would be to get rid of his contract so we can go and get some FA pitching. If this deal does go down, or something similar, I will be very impressed with Byrnes and love the start to his tenure. I like many of you want to keep our young prospects instead of giving them away. Getting rid of some of these bloated contracts would be a good start - no thanks to Moorad.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
As long as we dont trade for Kotchman....last thing we need is another first baseman....

here the players unlikely to be involved:
Kotchman
McPherson
Hanly Ramirez (red sox ss)
brandon wood
Weavers little brother

most likely included:
Shoppach
Youklis
Palpebon
Santana
Pedroia (now this would make me VERY happy, although i doubt the red sox do it)
angels DP partner with Wood is supposed to be the real deal too

im thinking the upper level prospects would be coming from the Red Sox because of what they are getting back in value.....

Your thinking of Howie Kendrick, a 2nd baseman who is considered "the best contact hitter in the minors" by some scouts. He also has above average power, as proven by his 19 homers and 88 RBIs this season. He also stole 25 bases. I'm not too sure with Drew and hopefully a soon to be signed Justin Upton, he'd have a place on the roster, unless they can talk Upton in to moving to CF. I wouldn't (on a talent perspective) mind seeing either Kendrick or Erick Aybar (a speed demon on the basepaths, something Arizona sorely lacks and has gotten some work as a CF) acquired. It's finding a position for them to play that may be tricky. Kendrick could make a quicker jump to the bigs, so we'll see.

As for Boston, I don't think they'll trade Papelbon. Reportedly, he's high on their charts and pretty close to untouchable, unless the package is damn near unbelievable (which Glaus and Erstad isn't quite on the level of).

Also, Youkalis is on the same level as Kotchman, a player Arizona really wouldn't need. I'm assuming if Glaus is traded Arizona's going in to the season with Jackson and Tracy manning the hot corners.

Packagewise, I'm thinking something along the lines of Stoppach, Anibal Sanchez/Jon Lester, Nick Adenhart (all three pitchers with pretty big potential) and maybe Aybar.

We'll see. It's a matter of seeing how much Anaheim values Manny, and how much Glaus is coveted by the Red Sox. I don't think losing Stoppach would be a move that would limit the Red Sox from making the move with Varitek tied down to a contract. Same with Aybar, where LA has a glutton of talent/potential at the middle IF slots. Either Sanchez or Lester would be great pickups, both have big upsides.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Does anyone see us unloading Scott Hairston (most likely an AL team for the DH) for a possible decent starter, reliever or a pitching prospect?

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Does anyone see us unloading Scott Hairston (most likely an AL team for the DH) for a possible decent starter, reliever or a pitching prospect?

I doubt we'd get much for him. My guess is cash and a Kelly Stinnett type catcher. (Older, on bottom of the ladder career wise, but can backup).

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Did anyone see this?

The Diamondbacks also may make a run at center fielder and steady leadoff man Johnny Damon, who's one of the best in the business.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Espo said:
The Diamondbacks also may make a run at center fielder and steady leadoff man Johnny Damon, who's one of the best in the business.

First, Espo do you post at the Broadcaster Marketing Services message board? Saw someone with a similar name that was from the University of Arizona, and assumed.

Anyhow, as for your post, I'm kind of split on this. On one hand, Damon would fill a huge void at CF (Green played solid out of position, but he's more of a natural Corner OF) and his speed on the basepaths would be a welcome addition. On the flipside however, he's not quite what you'd call young in baseball circles and he's also looking to cash in, and I doubt he'll come cheaply.

AZZenny

Reaction score
If they sign Upton and project him for CF in 2-3 years, AND they trade Shawn Green and don't extend Gonzo, I might tolerate Damon tying up big money for 2-3 years. Otherwise, it's just same old same old - overpaying for already-peaked vets who clog the openings for our top prospects. I truly hope for much, much better planning from JB.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
As long as we dont trade for Kotchman....last thing we need is another first baseman....

here the players unlikely to be involved:
Kotchman
McPherson
Hanly Ramirez (red sox ss)
brandon wood
Weavers little brother

most likely included:
Shoppach
Youklis
Palpebon
Santana
Pedroia (now this would make me VERY happy, although i doubt the red sox do it)
angels DP partner with Wood is supposed to be the real deal too

im thinking the upper level prospects would be coming from the Red Sox because of what they are getting back in value.....

This is a nice list but should we be giving up our best offensive player without getting someone to replace him. Yeah we could put Tracy at third but we are losing 37 HR's and 97 RBI's. But if I had to pick from this list I would ask for Weaver, Santana, and either Papelpon or Pedroia.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
This is a nice list but should we be giving up our best offensive player without getting someone to replace him. Yeah we could put Tracy at third but we are losing 37 HR's and 97 RBI's. But if I had to pick from this list I would ask for Weaver, Santana, and either Papelpon or Pedroia.

For Troy Glaus? Are you insane? There's no change in hell we get 2 of those guys. It seems to me as if Boston and Anaheim don't give us much in a deal because they are doing us a favor in taking Glaus.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Phill11 said:
For Troy Glaus? Are you insane? There's no change in hell we get 2 of those guys. It seems to me as if Boston and Anaheim don't give us much in a deal because they are doing us a favor in taking Glaus.

It's not like the guy is a .200, 2 HR, 21 RBI guy. I don't see how getting hosed in a deal is doing us any favors.

Overseas is right. Glaus IS Arizona's best home run threat. A healthy Troy Glaus hits 30 or more a year, EASILY. Not like we're exactly giving up chopped liver in the deal. I think that Arizona SHOULD be compensated fairly if Glaus is dealt.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Snake said:
Overseas is right. Glaus IS Arizona's best home run threat. A healthy Troy Glaus hits 30 or more a year, EASILY. Not like we're exactly giving up chopped liver in the deal. I think that Arizona SHOULD be compensated fairly if Glaus is dealt.

Right, Glaus is our best HR threat BUT he is not the best hitter in the line-up. Troy proved that he is just a stats guy, who if you watch all year has a handful of great games, but fails to produce in clutch situations.

The people Overseas is asking for are not going to be traded. Period. They all have the potential to be front of the rotation starters and that is too much to get a good offensive third baseman who is decent (at best) defensively. Not to mention how much he is owed during the next few years. Maybe one of them, but not two or three. I most likely see Papelbon being traded to us, but then not getting too much more.

A more realistic view would have Steven Shell, Joe Saunders, or Jon Lester as the pitchers being asked for.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Right, Glaus is our best HR threat BUT he is not the best hitter in the line-up. Troy proved that he is just a stats guy, who if you watch all year has a handful of great games, but fails to produce in clutch situations.

I dont think this is a fair statement. he had a bad year with runners in scoring position. Still he is the 2002 World Series MVP and if you watched him in the playoffs last year, he was there best hitter after missing 80% of the regular season. I dont know if its health related but my feeling is that he would the one vet player i would least like to lose although i acknowledge the benefits of getting Tracy AND Jackson in the line up and saving the money. I'm on board with the idea but i still think he is a good player....

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:

You have a point, but a team looking for someone who's got potential to jack 40 a year is appealing to some. Points are, his average IS crap. In the clutch, he tends to disappear. He also has had some injury issues in the past. But with Troy, you know what you get, and truthfully with Manny being dealt, they're going to look for someone to at worst illeviate the loss of offensive production he brought to the table. Glaus will never be Manny. He's not that kind of player. However, on the flipside, if they're looking for someone to spell Ortiz, you could do farrrrrrrrrrr worse.

The people Overseas is asking for are not going to be traded. Period. They all have the potential to be front of the rotation starters and that is too much to get a good offensive third baseman who is decent (at best) defensively. Not to mention how much he is owed during the next few years. Maybe one of them, but not two or three. I most likely see Papelbon being traded to us, but then not getting too much more.

A more realistic view would have Steven Shell, Joe Saunders, or Jon Lester as the pitchers being asked for.

I'm definately not expecting to land Brewster's Millions in this deal. In fact, I'd be perfectly happy (if Glaus is traded) to land a deal similar to the one Pittsburgh got for Giles. Truth be told, if we got Lester, Aybar and either Mike Napoli or Reggie Willits, I'd be estatic. What I DON'T want is another Schilling/Johnson-esque deal. I'd like to see at least one of those players be Major League ready and the others who project solidly. I think Glaus can at LEAST fetch that.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
After reading the rest of this thread i think many of you are seriously devaluing the worth of Glaus. He is better than Richie Sexson as an all around player and Richie was supposed to be our savior. I think we can get back one big prospect for at the least just facillitating the trade so the Red Sox can unload Manny's contract and attitude.

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:

I would be really happy to see Papelbon come here, but don't hold your breath. The Sox speak of him as their next coming of sorts. He got a LOT of praise in the last couple months of the season.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
After reading the rest of this thread i think many of you are seriously devaluing the worth of Glaus. He is better than Richie Sexson as an all around player and Richie was supposed to be our savior. I think we can get back one big prospect for at the least just facillitating the trade so the Red Sox can unload Manny's contract and attitude.

Exactly my point. In my perfect world, Arizona keeps all three (Conor, Tracy, Glaus).

What I'm saying is this. If Arizona DOES trade Glaus, they should at least be able to net a top prospect for him. Comments like the ones made by Phil11 BADLY underestimate Glaus's ability, and honestly if the team is going to get damaged goods and a sack of crap for him, I'd rather see him stay. Believe me, if the worst case scenario is Glaus sticking around, we're not that bad off.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Troy proved that he is just a stats guy, who if you watch all year has a handful of great games, but fails to produce in clutch situations.

What the **** does "just a stats guy" mean? If you say that, then you must also throw out the piss-poor stat of Batting Average with all the others, which are of equal or better predictive utility than BA.

Oh, didn't think so.

Of regular MLB third basemen with runners on, he was 10th for RBI, 8th for SLG, 9th for OPS. His batting average sucked, but he walked, and a walk is generally better than an out, and when he hit, he hit it pretty well.

Don't sound like that ninny Thom, who said in a Sept game, "In his last 38 opportunities with men on third and one out, (insert horrified tone of dripping disgust here) Glaus has gotten just 17 hits." Yes, that's what he said. I wrote and complained, and a couple games later the graphic pointed out the very high situational BA that resulted in.

He had 40-50 fewer at bats than Green or Gonzo, but approx 20 more RBIs than either of them. His overall OPS was better than either of them. Scoring position, two out, his OPS was dramatically better than either of them.

Keep in mind, he hobbled rather than ran much of the year, and didn't beat out infield balls like he has in past years (his speed stats were down a lot), and that may account for much of his drop in 'clutch' situations.

Glaus is tradeable because he's our only 'big' player with a ratsass of value! Keep him till midseason and see what we've got - he'll be worth more. Right now, not knowing his health status, he's likely to bring less than he's 'worth'. As long as we have Gonzo, Green, and Ortiz, we're not winning anything in the postseason, anyway.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
What the **** does "just a stats guy" mean? If you say that, then you must also throw out the piss-poor stat of Batting Average with all the others, which are of equal or better predictive utility than BA.

What I meant by that was he would have some huge games from time to time and when he got hot, he was very good. However, he was not consistent with the bat (most likely due to the injury). Everyone is talking about him being a serious threat and he is, but the teams will be looking at what he did last year and judge him on that. They will also make the argument that he might not be entirely healthy, and might not return to his 2002 form; thus hurting his trade value.

AZZenny said:
Of regular MLB third basemen with runners on, he was 10th for RBI, 8th for SLG, 9th for OPS. His batting average sucked, but he walked, and a walk is generally better than an out, and when he hit, he hit it pretty well.

Don't sound like that ninny Thom, who said in a Sept game, "In his last 38 opportunities with men on third and one out, (insert horrified tone of dripping disgust here) Glaus has gotten just 17 hits." Yes, that's what he said. I wrote and complained, and a couple games later the graphic pointed out the very high situational BA that resulted in.

I thought that it was in his last 38 attempts, with a runner on third and one out, Glaus got the runner in 17 times. Watch Pujols when he gets to the plate with a runner on third and one out. He will take the pitch he is given and go the other way, hit a sac fly, or have a slow roller to get the run home. He does what he has to and doesn't try to hit a home run. Sometimes it would look as if Glaus wants to hit a crushing shot each time he is up, causing him to strike out, and not make contact to get the runner home.

By no means am I saying that Glaus is a horrible player. I am playing devil's advocate and pointing out the other side of this trade. Think about what is being asked by some of the posters here: Weaver, Santana, and Paplebon for Glaus? Those are some high caliber people there. I know Boston wants to unload Manny, and the Angels want to have another power bat, but they are still teams looking for the best deal. Manny for (essentially) Santana and Weaver would be a horrid deal for them and they would probably seek another power bat, possibly on the free agent market. It would end up being cheaper and allow them to keep their good upcoming talent.

And to further make my point it seems that the Angels are doing just what I said above. A free agent power hitter Although this could mean that they are going to unload Erstad on the Red Sox and sign Konerko to take his place. If that is the case... pitchers are going to dread going to play the Angels.

Last edited:

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
What I find interesting is the negative PR that came out at the end of the season about his work ethics lacking. If the FO was serious about dumping him, why in the world did they release that? Don't they think that might come back to bite them in the butt?

Fannatick

Reaction score
Offseason

We need to do a couple of things this offseason....

1 more solid RP. We have Valverde as our CP and Lyon and Medders as setup men. One more solid RP would be a nice addition.

Get rid of Tony Clark. If he has any trade value than trade him for anything. The guys not bad but he had a great year, he's not going to do that again and I would rather see Conor Jackson there full time.

Gonzo - I love him but if we can trade him to a contender for basically anything than do it. He's too much money and we should give him a shot to win somewhere else. We would open LF for Quentin or Terrero.

Glaus - I would only trade him if we get something good in return, not crap players. He had a good year and next year he'll put up betters numbers when hes healthy. Other than that I love having him on our team.

Russ Ortiz - I would trade him for a bat boy. He'll make an ok 5th starter but hes making too much to do that to him, so I guess we'll be seeing him in the 3 spot.

Brad Halsey - Deffinately our 4th starter. Let him work on his pitches in the winter and he should have a good season.

Vargas/Nippert - Spring training will determine which of these two players will get the 5 spot. I like them both so it should be fun watching spring training.

SS - I want Alex Cintron there! F Royce Clayton, yeah he was good for us deffensively but he offered nothing with the bat. Atleast Cintron can hit a couple HR's and he should be able to bat higher than .275. Plus he's a switch hitter which would help us out.

C - I dont like Snyder. He had a full year and showed that he cant do anything with the bat. His numbers were a joke. I would take my chances with Koyie Hill. I like him. We gave Snyder a shot why not Hill. Hill is also a switch hitter.

Other than that I want to see Green, Counsel, Vazquez, Webb, and Tracy (RF) starting at there respective positions.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
We are stuck with Ortiz... there is no way anyone will take him off our hands. As for Snyder, I like his defense and game calling skills. He is still young, so maybe we can have Hill and Snyder share time next year. I think Chris will have a much better year because of his track record (in his first year od AA he struggled but then the next year he took off).

AZZenny

Reaction score
They CAN'T get rid of Tony Clark! They gave him a two-year contract with total no-trade for the first 18-20 months - basically, they could trade him at the ASB of 2007, not before. excuse me...every time I think of that... :barf:

Snyder is a much better defensive catcher than Hill - his catcher-specific ERA was pretty good when I looked in late summer, Hill and Stinnett's weren't. But Hill has enough upside he should be part of a trade package to maybe move Green or Gonzo. Snyder needs to remember his good OBP from the minors and he'll be OK.

Halsey projects to bullpen eventually, IMO, but let him try for a rotation spot in ST, along with Nippert, Gosling maybe.

Glaus makes a lot more sense to hold until the trade deadline, because if he's healthy then, we'd get a lot more for him - or maybe they'd realize he's the only big-bucks guy we have worth keeping around.

Oh yeah - Ortiz is long-relief as far as I'm concerned. We'd have to give up too much to get anyone to take him in a trade.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Snake said:
Exactly my point. In my perfect world, Arizona keeps all three (Conor, Tracy, Glaus).

What I'm saying is this. If Arizona DOES trade Glaus, they should at least be able to net a top prospect for him. Comments like the ones made by Phil11 BADLY underestimate Glaus's ability, and honestly if the team is going to get damaged goods and a sack of crap for him, I'd rather see him stay. Believe me, if the worst case scenario is Glaus sticking around, we're not that bad off.

I'd rather see Glaus go for a mid-range prospect or someone young rather than keep him at 3B and watching us trade Conor since we'd have nowhere to play him.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Fannatick said:
SS - I want Alex Cintron there! F Royce Clayton, yeah he was good for us deffensively but he offered nothing with the bat. Atleast Cintron can hit a couple HR's and he should be able to bat higher than .275. Plus he's a switch hitter which would help us out.

Finally, someone who agrees with me on Cintron! :notworthy (Prepare for the bashing bud. :( )

But an option I think we should look at to fill the 1-2 year gap for Drew/Upton at SS is Nomar. Sure, he's injury prone but will he get a high dollar deal? I doubt it. Throw him a 2 year deal.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
Finally, someone who agrees with me on Cintron! :notworthy (Prepare for the bashing bud. :( )

But an option I think we should look at to fill the 1-2 year gap for Drew/Upton at SS is Nomar. Sure, he's injury prone but will he get a high dollar deal? I doubt it. Throw him a 2 year deal.

If he can handle it by March, i like Drew with Cintron providing the vet influence. He went from overratted to underratted in one season.....he needs AB's

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05