The future of the Phoenix Suns

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If I were Nicolas Batum's agent, I would probably advise him against going to the Suns, on account of the nachos and all.

Just a long time Suns fan hoping they can turn it around.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This summer is the time to commit to a competitive core for the future. It looks like Len and Booker can be a big part of that. They then have to decide on Bledsoe.

We have never really seen a Bledsoe/Booker backcourt, but I would think it has promise. It is a more balanced look that Bledsoe/Knight and is probably better defensively. Booker is better distributor than Knight.

If Len can play the pf role going forward, then the draft is now wide open. We can draft the bpa and hope that its not a sg. Am I crazy for thinking that Nerlens Noel at center and Alex Len at pf would be interesting?

Knight, Archie, PJ, even Warren and future picks are available to trade for that final piece.

Once the core is together, you just keep them together and let them develop chemistry. That's how San Antonio or GS would do it.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This summer is the time to commit to a competitive core for the future. It looks like Len and Booker can be a big part of that. They then have to decide on Bledsoe.

We have never really seen a Bledsoe/Booker backcourt, but I would think it has promise. It is a more balanced look that Bledsoe/Knight and is probably better defensively. Booker is better distributor than Knight.

If Len can play the pf role going forward, then the draft is now wide open. We can draft the bpa and hope that its not a sg. Am I crazy for thinking that Nerlens Noel at center and Alex Len at pf would be interesting?

Knight, Archie, PJ, even Warren and future picks are available to trade for that final piece.

Once the core is together, you just keep them together and let them develop chemistry. That's how San Antonio or GS would do it.

I agree and Booker is clearly our future but we really haven't seen a Bledsoe/Knight backcourt either. I know it's now popular to say that our front court was so inept because of our guards but I challenge anyone to go back and watch those early games and still make that case. Perhaps a better pair of guards might have made us better but it would have been a very marginal improvement IMO.

Our guards weren't perfect but they'd pass to a wide open PJ who would hesitate, dribble once or twice, and then pass it away forcing a reset. Same thing with Markieff except he was just as likely to pound the ball for 10 seconds and then force up a bad shot as the clock ticked down. Knight and even Bledsoe really went south (poor decisions and poor play) when our opponents realized how little of a threat our front court was but prior to that they were both playing pretty well.

I think it's unreasonable to judge our two starting guards when they were the only ones out there interested in playing offense. Maybe they won't work well together or maybe they won't work well with the rest of the lineup. But until we have a legitimate scoring option or two in the front court, it makes little sense to write them off.

And if you want to do it the San Antonio way, you don't write off players until you're sure you know what you have in them. It's quite possible that Pop would watch them play or interview them and decide he wanted nothing to do with Eric or Brandon. But if he went to the trouble to acquire either of them I'm also pretty sure he'd invest far more time developing them than most fans here would like to see. Remember how many times Spurs fans (and the NBA media) speculated about getting rid of Parker? His reputation was probably as bad as Knight's was.

Regardless, I think any move we make with Bledsoe and Knight will involve us selling them short and I don't believe we are close enough to the next level to pay that kind of price. Unless Knight comes back fully healthy and puts up 20 and 8 for the rest of this season, which night give us some nice options. But I think there's also a chance to work a deal with Minnesota that would land us their pick too as the last thing they need is another teenager. Maybe something like Chandler and Tucker for Shabazz and Pekovic plus their pick.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree and Booker is clearly our future but we really haven't seen a Bledsoe/Knight backcourt either. I know it's now popular to say that our front court was so inept because of our guards but I challenge anyone to go back and watch those early games and still make that case. Perhaps a better pair of guards might have made us better but it would have been a very marginal improvement IMO.

Our guards weren't perfect but they'd pass to a wide open PJ who would hesitate, dribble once or twice, and then pass it away forcing a reset. Same thing with Markieff except he was just as likely to pound the ball for 10 seconds and then force up a bad shot as the clock ticked down. Knight and even Bledsoe really went south (poor decisions and poor play) when our opponents realized how little of a threat our front court was but prior to that they were both playing pretty well.

I think it's unreasonable to judge our two starting guards when they were the only ones out there interested in playing offense. Maybe they won't work well together or maybe they won't work well with the rest of the lineup. But until we have a legitimate scoring option or two in the front court, it makes little sense to write them off.

And if you want to do it the San Antonio way, you don't write off players until you're sure you know what you have in them. It's quite possible that Pop would watch them play or interview them and decide he wanted nothing to do with Eric or Brandon. But if he went to the trouble to acquire either of them I'm also pretty sure he'd invest far more time developing them than most fans here would like to see. Remember how many times Spurs fans (and the NBA media) speculated about getting rid of Parker? His reputation was probably as bad as Knight's was.

no. just no. The only time there was even any legit talk about getting rid of Parker was when he was 20 years old... and that was ONLY to replace him with a 1st Team NBA future HOFer Jason Kidd. Those guys are nothing alike, whatsoever at this point in their respective careers.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yea it's actually insulting to compare a guy like Parker to Knight.

And Knight is a guy that's been in this league for a while now and continues to make the very same bone headed mistakes he did since entering the league. His basketball IQ is so low that even his talent can't make up for it. The issues that he had when he got drafted by the Pistons like dribbling with his head down, taking long twos etc are all the very same problems he has today. And sorry I love the Suns but I have no hope that the Suns can fix something that the Pistons coaching staff and Kidd couldn't fix about this kid. Knight is poor man version of Carmelo Anthony as a SG...in other words, a black hole and ball stopper.

And I hate blaming the front court for Knight's inept play. The Suns didn't have some good front court back when Dragic/Bledsoe were having career years. The Raptors haven't had a good front court yet Lowry/DeRozan hasn't had much of a problem. The Blazers currently have no one recognizable in their front court and yet Lillard/McCollum has been pretty damn good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea it's actually insulting to compare a guy like Parker to Knight.

And Knight is a guy that's been in this league for a while now and continues to make the very same bone headed mistakes he did since entering the league. His basketball IQ is so low that even his talent can't make up for it. The issues that he had when he got drafted by the Pistons like dribbling with his head down, taking long twos etc are all the very same problems he has today. And sorry I love the Suns but I have no hope that the Suns can fix something that the Pistons coaching staff and Kidd couldn't fix about this kid. Knight is poor man version of Carmelo Anthony as a SG...in other words, a black hole and ball stopper.

And I hate blaming the front court for Knight's inept play. The Suns didn't have some good front court back when Dragic/Bledsoe were having career years. The Raptors haven't had a good front court yet Lowry/DeRozan hasn't had much of a problem. The Blazers currently have no one recognizable in their front court and yet Lillard/McCollum has been pretty damn good.

He does exactly as he has been coached to do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some news about Brandon Knight.

Paul Coro ‏@paulcoro 6h6 hours ago

Brandon Knight had his first practice today since his injury. Chase Budinger and Alan Williams joined the team.

So it looks like the Suns plan to bring Knight back in the not too distant future. It will be interesting to see how Earl Watson gives these players playing time. Although they could possibly help the Suns, there is also a distinct possibility it disrupts team chemistry.

https://twitter.com/paulcoro

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
If they pass the Nets and Minny to lose the #3 spot... it's just so frustrating being a Suns fan.

To make matters worse my favourite football team is Buffalo.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If they pass the Nets and Minny to lose the #3 spot... it's just so frustrating being a Suns fan.

To make matters worse my favourite football team is Buffalo.

Don't feel so bad, I'm a Chargers fan.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Robert Sarver interview

This AzCentral.com interview with Robert Sarver was posted today. I assume it is recent.

I tried to look at it with an open mind, hoping to see a strong presentation from the man with the money.

Although some of his words are right, I came away singing Dusty Springfield's old song to myself, "Wishin' and Hopin'".

The man does not have an aura of strength of leadership. And it all runs downhill.

He said that McDonough is staying, even while referring to his still learning the job of GM and mentioning that his skill is evaluating talent. A good job description for a Head Scout, not for a GM.

Still wishin' and hopin'.

http://www.nba.com/suns/blog/sarver-talks-azcentral-sports-about-franchise

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This AzCentral.com interview with Robert Sarver was posted today. I assume it is recent.

I tried to look at it with an open mind, hoping to see a strong presentation from the man with the money.

Although some of his words are right, I came away singing Dusty Springfield's old song to myself, "Wishin' and Hopin'".

The man does not have an aura of strength of leadership. And it all runs downhill.

He said that McDonough is staying, even while referring to his still learning the job of GM and mentioning that his skill is evaluating talent. A good job description for a Head Scout, not for a GM.

Still wishin' and hopin'.

http://www.nba.com/suns/blog/sarver-talks-azcentral-sports-about-franchise

Every time Sarver opens his mouth, he says something insanely stupid.

I don't get it, why doesn't a guy that rich take some PR classes or maybe have a PR guy around everytime he does an interview?

People are still making jokes about his millineum comments. Just the other day, Steve Kerr, his former GM, took a dig at it.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought it was a good interview. Nothing special but nothing out of line and he said mostly the things you'd want him to say. When I watched it I thought, finally, an interview that no reasonable person will complain about other than the obvious complaint that always follows (talk is useless, show us results). I guess I was wrong.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a good interview. Nothing special but nothing out of line and he said mostly the things you'd want him to say. When I watched it I thought, finally, an interview that no reasonable person will complain about other than the obvious complaint that always follows (talk is useless, show us results). I guess I was wrong.

You were not wrong. I thought Sarver had a good interview as well. He may not be the best speaker in the world but he said what I wanted to hear him say. The main thing I liked, Sarver has faith in Ryan McDonough. IMO, he is the GM to build this team up. Of course McDonough will make mistakes, as does any GM, but he has the team on the right course to be successful.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time Sarver opens his mouth, he says something insanely stupid.

I don't get it, why doesn't a guy that rich take some PR classes or maybe have a PR guy around everytime he does an interview?

People are still making jokes about his millineum comments. Just the other day, Steve Kerr, his former GM, took a dig at it.

Wasn't Steve Kerr the Suns GM who traded Kurt Thomas and two first round picks for salary cap relief of only $12 million dollars?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wasn't Steve Kerr the Suns GM who traded Kurt Thomas and two first round picks for salary cap relief of only $12 million dollars?

Main, I hope you aren't putting that on Kerr. I don't think Kerr was a great GM by any means, but that trade certainly was an owner move and not a GM move. Even Sarver has admitted years later that it was a bad decision to do sell picks like that and he's learned since. A GM doesn't gain anything from cap relief, the owner does.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Main, I hope you aren't putting that on Kerr. I don't think Kerr was a great GM by any means, but that trade certainly was an owner move and not a GM move. Even Sarver has admitted years later that it was a bad decision to do sell picks like that and he's learned since. A GM doesn't gain anything from cap relief, the owner does.

Quite true, but getting cap relief doesn't necessarily mean trading a player we could use. And it doesn't mean giving up assets in order to move a player that still has value. Maybe it was the best that could be done given the constraints Sarver placed upon Steve but I doubt it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It usually is. I'd expect the owner to say "cut expenses" and the GM to decide how to accomplish it. Is there a reason to expect something else other than the anti-Sarver rhetoric?

Kurt Thomas was an important player for the Suns. How in the world does trading a good player help Steve Kerr who's trying to win?

That move had Sarver written all over it and I'm not even a Sarver hater.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kurt Thomas was an important player for the Suns. How in the world does trading a good player help Steve Kerr who's trying to win?

That move had Sarver written all over it and I'm not even a Sarver hater.

As I recall, we weren't using him much for some reason. I know we were near the highest payroll in the league and still up there even after getting rid of Thomas. Maybe Sarver really did tell him to give up multiple picks and send Thomas to Seattle but, with all the Sarver hatred, I think we'd have had that leak out long before now if that were the case. Until someone shows evidence to the contrary I'm going to believe Kerr when he said "I made a bad trade", not "we made a bad trade".

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
As I recall, we weren't using him much for some reason. I know we were near the highest payroll in the league and still up there even after getting rid of Thomas. Maybe Sarver really did tell him to give up multiple picks and send Thomas to Seattle but, with all the Sarver hatred, I think we'd have had that leak out long before now if that were the case. Until someone shows evidence to the contrary I'm going to believe Kerr when he said "I made a bad trade", not "we made a bad trade".

Kerr is a standup guy. He's not putting it on anyone publicly.

As for Thomas he was playing well in game 5 without Amare/Diaw and I remember D'Antoni replacing him with James Jones in the final minutes and the choke ensued.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kerr is a standup guy. He's not putting it on anyone publicly.

As for Thomas he was playing well in game 5 without Amare/Diaw and I remember D'Antoni replacing him with James Jones in the final minutes and the choke ensued.

Well, he was no longer with us and he was no longer a GM and saying "we" wouldn't have exactly been the same thing as throwing Sarver under the bus. And I'm a Kerr fan but he's never been very diplomatic. He's usually fairly outspoken (and a little sarcastic at times) and history says he's not above airing things in public, just read his initial comments about the Curry deal that didn't go through. He lightened up on that later on but he was pretty harsh about it the first couple of times he discussed it after leaving the Suns.

As for Thomas, are you talking about the game in Phoenix where all the starters played huge minutes? If so, I think it's understandable if your 35 (34?) year old center can't handle the 40+ minutes we needed him for. When I said he wasn't being used much, I was talking about regular season. I don't know why but Mike seemed to refuse to use him. He sat out unnecessarily and when he did play he rarely played even 20 minutes a game.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It usually is. I'd expect the owner to say "cut expenses" and the GM to decide how to accomplish it. Is there a reason to expect something else other than the anti-Sarver rhetoric?

Correct. Steve Kerr has since owned that move as his own. There were other ways to cut expenses.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This season and team reminds me of how things were the year before Nash returned for quite a few reasons. Major difference being the positions of the players are all switched around but the team is in a similar position to improve a good bit if they add the right sort of star player, like Nash was then. Adding anything less than an All-Star though would just put the team back into mediocrity, maybe making the playoffs but not able to make a dent there. I'm not saying whoever is brought in needs to be an MVP contender but bringing in someone as an overall leader would be the best thing possible for almost everyone involved. That is what Nash was viewed as at the time, no one expected him to be a 2 time MVP or fit as well as he did. In addition to what the team has locked in as far as current players they also have a good amount of future draft picks plus financial flexibility. They desperately need to add a star though, it's imperative they spend their assets the right way to bring in the right sort of player. If they don't add an established star they need to get a rookie who can be a star like Simmons. Growing into a contending is much more likely than bringing in a free agent to make them a contender right away.

We have a young talent with an incredibly high ceiling in Booker, like Amare back then. There is another promising young talent who is still putting the pieces together in Len, like Joe Johnson was. We have one player is somewhat proven in Bledsoe who's good at almost all aspects of the game but doesn't excel at any single thing. His skill set should compliment those around him because he's capable of doing a bit of everything. Good perimeter defense, great rebounding for his position, good enough shooter to keep defenses honest, can create his own shot, capable of setting up others but not quite as good as the position calls for. That's kind of like Marion's role was except you could say he was a bit too reliant on other to get him going offensively compared to others at his position around the league. So they each have a drawback that keeps them from being a great player but they're too good and versatile to cut loose and risk upgrading through free agency or the draft. The team also has a new coach who seems to be getting through to his players, like D'Antoni after taking over for Frank Johnson.