Free Agency
Target PF Amir Johnson, re-sign Leuer, Teletovic if the price is right
Target PG Jeremy Lin, Ish Smith

Len/Chandler/Leuer
Simmons/Johnson/Teletovic
Warren/Valentine/Tucker
Booker/Bogdanovic/Allen
Bledsoe/Lin/Price

Move Goodwin, Knight and #33 (or draft and stash) maybe future picks somewhere in the process to ensure the previous steps.

Coach: Do the unthinkable and re-hire D'Antoni. The roster is made for fast pace run and gun. Alternatively Luke Walton.

Get Steve Nash as part-time player development coach.

You lost me at D'Antoni.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You were not wrong. I thought Sarver had a good interview as well. He may not be the best speaker in the world but he said what I wanted to hear him say. The main thing I liked, Sarver has faith in Ryan McDonough. IMO, he is the GM to build this team up. Of course McDonough will make mistakes, as does any GM, but he has the team on the right course to be successful.
As a long-time Suns fan, I want everyone in the Front Office to be very good at their job. With a background in management, I don't want to have to post that I feel the team is being mis-managed. But, when I do feel it, I can't look the other way.

Far worse than Sarver not being the best speaker in the world (as you said) and making himself the most visible team representative (which is an egotistical mistake) . . .

He admitted that McDonough is still inexperienced as GM. Sarver saying that he is a good scout does not give me hope.

As I've posted, my evaluation of Sarver is that as CEO/COO, he is incompetent. Certainly not up to the standard of the best basketball league in the world. He hires inexperienced people so he can continue to hog the role of face of the organization.

Look at the D-backs. Managing General Partner Ken Kendrick (who made previous blunders representing the team to the Press) stepped back, brought in Tony La Russa and said, "Run the baseball operation".

As long as Sarver considers himself to be Chief Operating Officer, our Suns are not going to take their turn to be among the elite teams in the NBA.

No, I do not consider his interview to be a good one. If anyone, it should have been McDonough. But that shows us the little confidence Sarver has in his basketball people running the basketball side of the operation.

Sarver is not a buffoon, but he is an incompetent owner.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At one time, I had 100% faith in McDonough. Since then, my faith has eroded dramatically. Great at finding talent, terrible people skills working with that talent.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
At one time, I had 100% faith in McDonough. Since then, my faith has eroded dramatically. Great at finding talent, terrible people skills working with that talent.

I believed in Ryan and still do. But I have more questions about him today than I did two years ago. I think he showed immaturity in the way he dealt with the Goran exit. Goran did too but I expect much more in that regard from McDonough than I would of Dragic. And I don't like the way he handled the Morris twins exit. He didn't need their permission but he should have been upfront once the season ended. A simple "this isn't working out, we think it's better for all of us in the long run if you're not playing together" is all it would have required.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He admitted that McDonough is still inexperienced as GM. Sarver saying that he is a good scout does not give me hope.

He said he's learning on the job but that he's done some great things for the organization and he has a good eye for talent. That's quite a bit different than calling him a scout.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Main, I hope you aren't putting that on Kerr. I don't think Kerr was a great GM by any means, but that trade certainly was an owner move and not a GM move. Even Sarver has admitted years later that it was a bad decision to do sell picks like that and he's learned since. A GM doesn't gain anything from cap relief, the owner does.

I think you are talking about two different things

Selling draft picks had nothing to do with the Kurt Thomas trade. I've never read where Kerr was forced to do this trade. It did provide some cap relief but there were other ways to do it.

However, the Suns have sold some draft picks which I put on Sarver and D'Antoni. IMO, this was just as abhorrent. If my memory serves me correct the Suns even sold the Gortat pick. It was ironic because he game back to the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a long-time Suns fan, I want everyone in the Front Office to be very good at their job. With a background in management, I don't want to have to post that I feel the team is being mis-managed. But, when I do feel it, I can't look the other way.

Far worse than Sarver not being the best speaker in the world (as you said) and making himself the most visible team representative (which is an egotistical mistake) . . .

As I've posted, my evaluation of Sarver is that as CEO/COO, he is incompetent. Certainly not up to the standard of the best basketball league in the world. He hires inexperienced people so he can continue to hog the role of face of the organization.

Look at the D-backs. Managing General Partner Ken Kendrick (who made previous blunders representing the team to the Press) stepped back, brought in Tony La Russa and said, "Run the baseball operation".

As long as Sarver considers himself to be Chief Operating Officer, our Suns are not going to take their turn to be among the elite teams in the NBA.

No, I do not consider his interview to be a good one. If anyone, it should have been McDonough. But that shows us the little confidence Sarver has in his basketball people running the basketball side of the operation.

Sarver is not a buffoon, but he is an incompetent owner.

McDonough was hired as the Suns GM in 2013 after working for the Celtics for 10 years as an international scout and as an assistant GM to Danny Ainge. He may be relatively new as a GM but I think he is doing an excellent job with the Suns. I do not see why you feel a need to knock him for being "inexperienced." He is growing on the job but that is to be expected. Actually, I think McDonough would have given a better interview than Sarver but Sarver was trying to make things right with the fans. It's great the Suns have a very intelligent GM in Ryan McDonough. I'm looking forward to the Suns future under his leadership.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I do not see why you feel a need to knock him for being "inexperienced."
The only reason the Suns scrapped the two (or three) starting and finishing tweener Guard concept was not because of all the different combinations they tried and the roster upheavals that resulted.

It was scrapped because of injuries. Without the injuries, Booker would still be sitting on the bench instead of becoming the face of the franchise.

So it wasn't McDonough's insight that opened the door for better things. That is why I knock him. The improvement we've seen on the Suns recently was based on dumb luck -- injuries.

For that, I fault him and his inexperience. And maybe, just maybe, an experienced GM could have landed us Cousins.

That is why I fault him. Just as Hornacek and his inexperience, plus the assistant coaches they fired, I don't see McDonough having the skill to outmaneuver most of the GM's in the NBA.

To succeed, it is not whether he is good or bad. Just, is he better than a lot of the rest. Based on McDonough's performance, I just don't see him being in the upper tier of G.M.'s, now or in the future.

Just as Hornacek was good as the #2 man in Utah, so it was with McDonough as the #2 man in Boston.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree and see what happens as the Suns try to move up one, then a second, echelon in the NBA hierarchy.

P.S.: I also don't see McDonough standing up to Sarver and saying, "You hired me to be the G.M. Do your job and let me do mine."

As I posted, obviously Sarver didn't have the confidence in McDonough to let him handle the AzCentral interview. All of these factors come into play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason the Suns scrapped the two (or three) starting and finishing tweener Guard concept was not because of all the different combinations they tried and the roster upheavals that resulted.

It was scrapped because of injuries. Without the injuries, Booker would still be sitting on the bench instead of becoming the face of the franchise.

So it wasn't McDonough's insight that opened the door for better things. That is why I knock him. The improvement we've seen on the Suns recently was based on dumb luck -- injuries.

For that, I fault him and his inexperience. And maybe, just maybe, an experienced GM could have landed us Cousins.

That is why I fault him. Just as Hornacek and his inexperience, plus the assistant coaches they fired, I don't see McDonough having the skill to outmaneuver most of the GM's in the NBA.

To succeed, it is not whether he is good or bad. Just, is he better than a lot of the rest. Based on McDonough's performance, I just don't see him being in the upper tier of G.M.'s, now or in the future.

Just as Hornacek was good as the #2 man in Utah, so it was with McDonough as the #2 man in Boston.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree and see what happens as the Suns try to move up one, then a second, echelon in the NBA hierarchy.

P.S.: I also don't see McDonough standing up to Sarver and saying, "You hired me to be the G.M. Do your job and let me do mine."

As I posted, obviously Sarver didn't have the confidence in McDonough to let him handle the AzCentral interview. All of these factors come into play.

Maybe the Suns can bring back Lance Blanks back since you are so unhappy.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns can bring back Lance Blanks back since you are so unhappy.
You consider McDonough is advancing to a better than average NBA GM because he is not as bad as Lance Blanks?

C'mon now. That's setting the bar pretty low, isn't it? I don't understand how a Suns fan can condone mediocrity. I expect better.

I haven't been a red-hot Suns fan for four decades to be stressed. I hope to see success.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You consider McDonough is advancing to a better than average NBA GM because he is not as bad as Lance Blanks?

C'mon now. That's setting the bar pretty low, isn't it? I don't understand how a Suns fan can condone mediocrity. I expect better.

I haven't been a red-hot Suns fan for four decades to be stressed. I hope to see success.

The Suns previous GMs over the years were Jerry Colangelo, Bryan Colangelo, Mike D'Antoni, Steve Kerr, Lance Blanks and Ryan McDonough. I remember you often criticizing Jerry Colangelo so I suspect you have never been happy with a Suns GM.

I used Lance Blanks as an example of how bad some of the Suns GMs have been including Mike D'Antoni and perhaps Steve Kerr. I'm looking for Ryan McDonough to bring the Suns success. Although Ryan McDonough has a great basketball mind, he is still learning how players and coaches fit together. My bet is he gets it right if fans are patient.

Errntknght

Reaction score

The root cause of the plan to use two combo guards as our backcourt was McD selecting Hornacek as the head coach. For all we know that could have one of the reasons he selected Jeff because from the beginning they both said they saw eye-to-eye on the general direction. I interpreted that to mean they wanted to play fastbreak basketball - that was the first thing they mentioned, IIRC. After McD snatched up Bledsoe then Hornacek started saying a two PG backcourt was a plus because they'd have two outlet targets for the fast break. (Personally, I think it all started because McD got Bled at a bargain price and then they got the idea to play him and Dragic together.)

McD looked like a genius that summer getting Plumlee, Ish, Gerald Green and Kravtsov for essentially nothing. Drafting Len and Goodwin was not hailed as genius but it wasn't a bad for draft class that was considered very poor.
I'm wondering if you blame McD for Plumlee deciding not to play and Green not being controllable? I see that as being Hornacek's job - figuring out how to get the best out of players talents and McD's job as bringing in guys with talent. In these two cases there were obvious question marks from day one - they were available for a reason. I guess you could say that McD erred in overestimating Jeff's ability to coach them.

IT was a bargain McD couldn't resist, which he called building on our strength. I still think it was a good move and I fault Hornacek for not keeping in tune with his players - if he couldn't keep them all content to be part of the team, he should have known who we had to trade away to make the best of the situation.
Now I fault McD for giving in to Bledsoe's demands after he missed a half season with a second knee problem and also demonstrating that he could not keep up his great defense and play starters minutes. With Thomas in the fold he was not that crucial.
I also fault McD for the Brandon Knight trade and subsequent overpay which locked us into a dual combo guard backcourt and a high turnover rate. Also quite an injury prone backcourt.
I doubt anyone else would do it, but I fault him for overlooking Ed Davis, too - twice!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Suns previous GMs over the years were Jerry Colangelo, Bryan Colangelo, Mike D'Antoni, Steve Kerr, Lance Blanks and Ryan McDonough. I remember you often criticizing Jerry Colangelo so I suspect you have never been happy with a Suns GM.

I used Lance Blanks as an example of how bad some of the Suns GMs have been including Mike D'Antoni and perhaps Steve Kerr. I'm looking for Ryan McDonough to bring the Suns success. Although Ryan McDonough has a great basketball mind, he is still learning how players and coaches fit together. My bet is he gets it right if fans are patient.
JC developed into an excellent promoter and a strong politician. He was an important member of the Phoenix 40, the group with more power than any Mayor. I respect how Jerry helped turn Phoenix into a major city.

But as a GM, he was mediocre with a ceiling of 50-and-fade -- put on a good show at home, don't embarrass yourself on the road and make an appearance in the playoffs. That evaluation is nothing new.

It wasn't until he had a second chance with the D-backs that he saw the light and took the next step. That summarizes my feelings over the decades, which is a lot more detailed than "You have never been happy with a Suns GM".

I am certainly not happy with the here-and-now with a meddling owner hiring inexperienced executives to keep under his thumb. Are you?

As far as patience, Suns fans have shown patience for the past 5+years and 5 decades. Jeez, we'd like to see our day in the Sun. The Phoenix Sun. And as far as Bryan, the Phoenix Son, are you giving him high grades, or to Jerry for handing the job to him? History proves he hadn't earned either.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JC developed into an excellent promoter and a strong politician. He was an important member of the Phoenix 40, the group with more power than any Mayor. I respect how Jerry helped turn Phoenix into a major city.

But as a GM, he was mediocre with a ceiling of 50-and-fade -- put on a good show at home, don't embarrass yourself on the road and make an appearance in the playoffs. That evaluation is nothing new.

It wasn't until he had a second chance with the D-backs that he saw the light and took the next step. That summarizes my feelings over the decades, which is a lot more detailed than "You have never been happy with a Suns GM".

I am certainly not happy with the here-and-now with a meddling owner hiring inexperienced executives to keep under his thumb. Are you?

As far as patience, Suns fans have shown patience for the past 5+years and 5 decades. Jeez, we'd like to see our day in the Sun. The Phoenix Sun. And as far as Bryan, the Phoenix Son, are you giving him high grades, or to Jerry for handing the job to him? History proves he hadn't earned either.

Yeah, firing the GM who has proven to be very successful at drafting, a thing we've been horrible at for over a decade and is the absolute most important thing in building a winning roster. Yep, can that guy and BOOM, instant contender!

And Jerry did the same thing with the Dbacks that he had been doing with the Suns, only baseball has different rules that allow for massively exploding your payroll for short term gain.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And Jerry did the same thing with the Dbacks that he had been doing with the Suns, only baseball has different rules that allow for massively exploding your payroll for short term gain.
Does that really condone four and half decades of being, at best, the bridesmaid a couple of times -- one Cinderella and one legit?

Are Suns fans so brainwashed into thinking that alibis are the end-all? 'Sorry, but this fan doesn't buy it.

Would you invest in a banner, to save for our better days, which says, "We're number 5, we're number 5."? Think about that. :)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does that really condone four and half decades of being, at best, the bridesmaid a couple of times -- one Cinderella and one legit?

Are Suns fans so brainwashed into thinking that alibis are the end-all? 'Sorry, but this fan doesn't buy it.

Would you invest in a banner, to save for our better days, which says, "We're number 5, we're number 5."? Think about that. :)

I was countering your misplaced notion that Jerry applied some new notion of running a franchise between the Suns and Dbacks.

Furthermore, if not for some 9th inning magic the Dbacks would too have been forever bridesmaids, and you'd be saying Colangelo never learned anything and he was a loser everywhere. Just as if not for multiple bouts of terrible luck the Suns would likely have a title or titles and you'd probably be lamenting the departure of an owner you thought was brilliant.

I know we've had this debate... endlessly, but your notion that Colangelo was content with merely being a playoff team is laughable and I'm sure he and anyone who was associated with those teams (and many who went against them) would find it insulting.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was countering your misplaced notion that Jerry applied some new notion of running a franchise between the Suns and Dbacks.

Furthermore, if not for some 9th inning magic the Dbacks would too have been forever bridesmaids, and you'd be saying Colangelo never learned anything and he was a loser everywhere. Just as if not for multiple bouts of terrible luck the Suns would likely have a title or titles and you'd probably be lamenting the departure of an owner you thought was brilliant.

I know we've had this debate... endlessly, but your notion that Colangelo was content with merely being a playoff team is laughable and I'm sure he and anyone who was associated with those teams (and many who went against them) would find it insulting.

I find it insulting, but I have just not responded on this matter for quite a while now.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I believed in Ryan and still do. But I have more questions about him today than I did two years ago. I think he showed immaturity in the way he dealt with the Goran exit. Goran did too but I expect much more in that regard from McDonough than I would of Dragic. And I don't like the way he handled the Morris twins exit. He didn't need their permission but he should have been upfront once the season ended. A simple "this isn't working out, we think it's better for all of us in the long run if you're not playing together" is all it would have required.

Totally agree. Would not have taken much from McD to prevent the situation. A phone call or 5 minute meeting in his office with the players. I am really surprised he didn't foresee the bad blood before splitting up the brothers. Their reaction seems obvious to me. His not seeing it, or disregarding it, concerns me the most.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Totally agree. Would not have taken much from McD to prevent the situation. A phone call or 5 minute meeting in his office with the players. I am really surprised he didn't foresee the bad blood before splitting up the brothers. Their reaction seems obvious to me. His not seeing it, or disregarding it, concerns me the most.

Here is the thing- McD is a basketball genius. There aren't many people who I trust with evaluating talent. He grabbed Warren and Booker with #13 and #14, for example. That said, he is relatively young, and this is his first GM gig. Yes, I realize he was Ainge's assistant for years, and while being an assistant GM does give you some experience, being an actual GM is different.

I remember my first management job- I thought I was completely ready, and quickly realized there was so much to learn. It probably took me a couple of years to get to the point where I was a complete leader. I knew what I was managing, but I didn't understand that managing human needs was far more important (and difficult) that managing a budget, product, etc. I think McD is having a similar issue- he screwed up with Dragic big time, as well as the twins. He told Gerald Green that he was coming back, and then never called his agent, according to Green.

This is not unusual for a new leader. There is a learning curve, and there is a reason management jobs typically require three years of actual management experience.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Acquiring 3 players of roughly equal ability that all play the same position was ludicrous.
Thank god they have Booker now.

I think part of the problem was that the Suns didn't have an alpha dog. When you have a legit Star you acquire pieces that compliment their talent. When you don't have that player you're just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

If Booker and Len continue their current rise they are the pieces to build around. (+ possibly another star from this draft) Then McDonough can fill out the roster with players that compliment their talent.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
If Booker and Len continue their current rise they are the pieces to build around. (+ possibly another star from this draft) Then McDonough can fill out the roster with players that compliment their talent.

I'll dream to that. Go Suns!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I know we've had this debate... endlessly, but your notion that Colangelo was content with merely being a playoff team is laughable.
It wasn't about laughs. It was about business. The Suns, as the only Pro game in town, were very successful being Guard oriented with a light Center who played like a Guard.

But the Valley ultimately grew and the Suns didn't. That is why it is so gratifying to see our Twin Towers after all these years.

I'm sure he and anyone who was associated with those teams (and many who went against them) would find it insulting.
Why would players or fans find it insulting? It was the ownership/Front Office who staffed for the 50-and-fade rosters. As a fan in the '80's and '90's, I wasn't insulted. I was disappointed that we never grew.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Im hoping we don't re-sign Mirza but bring back Lauer because he doesn't jack up terrible shots. Next summer (17') there will be some big time FA's potentially available (Westbrook/Griffin) and not being terrible next season would improve our chances at looking like an attractive destination. For example the Blazers aren't great but they're having a nice season. I think a healthy Suns team can be like that next year but the Suns have more assets while Portland has the best player.

Hell even a nice season like the Jazz are having would have us looking like we're on the cusp heading into the 17-18' season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't about laughs. It was about business. The Suns, as the only Pro game in town, were very successful being Guard oriented with a light Center who played like a Guard.

But the Valley ultimately grew and the Suns didn't. That is why it is so gratifying to see our Twin Towers after all these years.

Why would players or fans find it insulting? It was the ownership/Front Office who staffed for the 50-and-fade rosters. As a fan in the '80's and '90's, I wasn't insulted. I was disappointed that we never grew.

you probably danced when we drafted Willian Beford, applauded the trade for Hot Rod which destroyed a title contender and then celebrated to high heaven when we signed Luc Longley. Simply getting a C doesn't = titles. You act like if we had won the coin flips for Kareem and David Robinson we still would have drafted Neal Walk and Armon Gilliam. Truth is, getting great Centers is a once in a generation occurrence for the most part in the NBA... and we got screwed TWICE when that happened. And all attempts to get the ever elusive Center almost always blew up in our faces (Hot Rod, Bedford, Longley) or the league blocked (Mutombo).

But hey, it's just much easier to write 50 and fade and the twin towers combo now who is losing 70% of their games is SO MUCH BETTER!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
you probably danced when we drafted Willian Beford, applauded the trade for Hot Rod which destroyed a title contender and then celebrated to high heaven when we signed Luc Longley. Simply getting a C doesn't = titles.
Your "probably's" about the Suns history missed my point. An obsession with a 212 lb. Center who played for the Suns coach in college, which laid the foundation with their obsession for small ball. Right through this decade with three small Guards on the court, all clamoring to be Number 1.

There is a big gap between a solid role playing Center and a lightweight with the skinniest arms on the court playing 18 feet from the basket. That was the decade of Alvan Adams.

I felt for all of the Suns Power Forwards during that time whose games were diminished having to cover Center. Weakness at both power positions.

That is a guarantee of a team's foundation of no championships. One legitimate Finals appearance in close to half a century. Because of one Cinderella appearance with a skinny Center, which the league caught up with by the following season.

There is a huge gap between Lou Alcindor and Alvan Adams. The most reasonable expectation is far greater than either/or.

Just look at the current Suns. Playing their best basketball in years with twin towers. One in the twilight of his career and one still inexperienced. And it took the Suns almost a half century to experience it. Not because they planned it, but due to injuries.

So if you want to predict what I am probably feeling, it would be, "Finally!" As well as no more 2- or 3-"Point" Guard lineups. There is joy in Suns-ville. :)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22