The New Direction-----My Take:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
It's Wednesday evening, and so far things are going OK in Cardinal's Land, at least to my liking. While everyone has been going on and on and on about Andy Reid for the past 24 hours or so, I am beginning to believe that much of all that is just a lot of hoopla about Andy Reid promoting Andy Reid. I had previously said that I hoped that the Andy Reid thing was merely a pipe dream of Michael Bidwill's, and that it would remain that way. The more I see of all the stories out there in cyberland and the media, the more convinced I am that this is Andy getting people exited in order to promote Andy, (however it may be). I hope it ends in Kansas City, or somewhere other than Arizona.

Meanwhile, as sold as I was on Ray Horton becoming our HC as the season wound down, I am even more so believing in Horton today. This is a bright man, (very bright), and very driven. He is definitely his own man, who thinks for himself, and never misses an opportunity to learn, or to act on his ideas and principles. I really like this man.

Where Andy Reid comes to Arizona touting his successful system and his successful staff, Ray Horton is already here, dealing with people, and selling only the idea that he wants this team to improve, and to have a chance to make it be so. He is really sold on this franchise and the players, the remaining coaches, and the fans of the Cardinal's Nation. You can see that in his every act and dealing with the people he works with here, and with every action he takes with the fans and the media. He is already here, already wholly invested in this team, already prepared to take the next step in his evolution become the best teacher of football that he can be. He has studied the players and coaches, and has conveyed his beliefs to Ownership and the Front Office. There is no need to get involved in promoting a scheme, because he is the kind of man who reacts to each new stimulus in a manner that makes him, (and his team), successful. That is why he is such a successful game manager. He does not waste his time living in a scheme, he lives in the moment, reacting to what is right in front of him, right now, with what he believes to be his very best game-changing move. That is why he will become a very successful Head Coach in the NFL. It would be a shame not to keep that talent right here in Cardinals land.

Ray Horton is a man who works, and deals with people. He is not interested in selling systems or programs, other than striving to learn his trade, and learn about his players, and then teach each of his deciples how to become better, so that they are as enthusiastic and committed about excelling as he is. THAT is why he will be successful, and it is why he has been successful in the past. He totally believes in himself, and he believes that he can instill this belief and confidence in those who work with and for him. He exudes hard work, and study, and a commitment to learn and to excell. He will not ask anyone to work any harder than he does, but he will require a hard work ethic. He will show, (by his own example), how to do things. He will not preach one thing, then do another. He is a natural leader, not a personnel manager. Men and women will follow him, because they can see how hard he himself works, and how learned, and how committed he is to the same end that they are, (becoming the best that they can be), because that is where the REAL reward is.

Most of all, Ray Horton is a fair man, who will not berate anyone for making an honest mistake, so long as they tend not to repeat those mistakes. He will not force his players to be afraid to fail, or to make a mistake, but will encourage them to try their very best to contribute what they are able to do as individuals, in an honest effort to help the total team effort. He will give his players the freedom to play hard without fear of reprisal for honest effort, even if it comes up short. He will help them to learn as they go, and he will be supportive of them, not deriding or belittling in any way. He will hold each man accountable for his actions, but will also make them feel good about their contributions and efforts toward the total success of the program.

Ray Horton is not likely to envision himself to be an offensive guru, but he will be confident in his ability to find the kind of coaches that are needed to develop a solid and improving offense to go with his defense. He will strive to bring in coaches who are of the same mentality that he is, coaches who are willing to instill knowledge of that part of the game, and who will develop confident players who really work to achieve good results. Ray Horton will not be afraid to delegate responsibility to his coaches, OR to his players on the field who show him that they are knowledgeable and committed to the same end as he is.

Michael Bidwill strikes me as the same type of person that Ray Horton is. I believe that along with Steve Keim, Bidwill and Horton would make a great leadership team under which to fix what has been missing in this franchise.
I really hope that Michael and Ray are seeing the possibilities that lie just ahead of them should they end up collaborating in this effort. This could be the creation of a no-nonsense, yet fun leadership group for all in the organization to follow. It could also become a VERY successful one.

I wish Andy Reid all the success he can manage. I wish him the ability to find a positive way to deal with the loss of his son, and the comfort of a future that suits him. I just hope that he finds it elsewhere.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I agree Fish, Horton is the man to lead the Cards back to a SB.

IMO hiring Reid would be just like rehiring Wiz...Most of Reid's downfalls in the end in Philly were many of the same that got Wiz ousted in Az.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I agree Fish, Horton is the man to lead the Cards back to a SB.

IMO hiring Reid would be just like rehiring Wiz...Most of Reid's downfalls in the end in Philly were many of the same that got Wiz ousted in Az.

Right on Bucky-----so why should anyone expect him to come in and fix an O-line that doesn't work, and a QB situation that can't deliver the ball OR stay healthy, when all he has to rely on is scheme, a ready made cast of lame duck coaches, and a old worn-out work record of failure to nurture QB's, and that went from good to terrible in about 2 1/2 years, and no SB wins though he was knocking on the door 5 times in 14 years. This is not a way to win SB's. Looks to me like he is more interested in selling his image than winning the big one.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like Horton and Reid. However, from what I'm reading just about all the teams looking for a HC, seem to be looking for one with an offensive background.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The thing I like most about Horton is he seems to be willing to fit the scheme to play to the strengths of the players and not force them into roles they can't be successful at.

Look at how far Rashad Johnson has come in the last two years. We were ready to give up on him and now he is becoming a more integral part of the defense. Dwash has blossomed under Horton. CC has become more of a force than ever. Williams has stepped up his game. Rhodes may have had his best season ever.

I would hope that Horton will select coaches that fit his mold. Maybe even more important is he seems to be able to evaluate talent.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing I like most about Horton is he seems to be willing to fit the scheme to play to the strengths of the players and not force them into roles they can't be successful at.

Look at how far Rashad Johnson has come in the last two years. We were ready to give up on him and now he is becoming a more integral part of the defense. Dwash has blossomed under Horton. CC has become more of a force than ever. Williams has stepped up his game. Rhodes may have had his best season ever.

I would hope that Horton will select coaches that fit his mold. Maybe even more important is he seems to be able to evaluate talent.

Quite the opposite to my mind. These players excelled after they tailored themselves to Horton's scheme, not the other way around. The 1-6 start of last season and the vast improvement after they understood his approach in detail strikes me as clear evidence.

If Whisenhunt was married to an 'O' scheme and surrounded himself with subordinates to implement, you can be fairly certain that Horton is as convinced that 'his system works' on the 'D' side and will want someone who buys into his template.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Quite the opposite to my mind. These players excelled after they tailored themselves to Horton's scheme, not the other way around. The 1-6 start of last season and the vast improvement after they understood his approach in detail strikes me as clear evidence.

If Whisenhunt was married to an 'O' scheme and surrounded himself with subordinates to implement, you can be fairly certain that Horton is as convinced that 'his system works' on the 'D' side and will want someone who buys into his template.

Disagree with that-----Horton's system is that he thinks on the fly. He is successful because he in 'in the moment', not stuck with a script. Yes he plays out of a base defense, but he is the master of movement, constantly changing where he brings the heat from, and who each of his defenders covers. No one, since I have watched Cardinals Football has been better at in-game, (snap by snap), decisions and corrections than Ray Horton. THAT is what makes his 'system' great. You really can't game plan against him, because he doesn't have a planned out system that you can rely on the next time you play him. Each game, and each play, things can be different. He is unpredictable like a slot machine. That is why Paris Lenin is so important to him. Lenin is his on-field director of personnel placement, play by play. Yes there is a system, but the system is constant change and different looks.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Right on Bucky-----so why should anyone expect him to come in and fix an O-line that doesn't work, and a QB situation that can't deliver the ball OR stay healthy, when all he has to rely on is scheme, a ready made cast of lame duck coaches, and a old worn-out work record of failure to nurture QB's, and that went from good to terrible in about 2 1/2 years, and no SB wins though he was knocking on the door 5 times in 14 years. This is not a way to win SB's. Looks to me like he is more interested in selling his image than winning the big one.

Reid had his time.

Time to make room for a fresh outlook.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Interesting take. You should come on here more often. We have a couple other UK :newcards: fans on here. One came out here for the NFC Championship game and we had a blast. :koolaid:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In my opinion, Wiz (& Graves) were at their best when they were operating "on the edge" and at their worst when they were content to play it safe.

One thing I like about Horton is that he's out there on the edge 90% of the time and for each time things blow up in his face, there are twice as many instances where amazing things happen.

I suspect Michael is arriving at the conclusion that he needs his guys to be more aggressive.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion, Wiz (& Graves) were at their best when they were operating "on the edge" and at their worst when they were content to play it safe.

One thing I like about Horton is that he's out there on the edge 90% of the time and for each time things blow up in his face, there are twice as many instances where amazing things happen.

I suspect Michael is arriving at the conclusion that he needs his guys to be more aggressive.

Yup

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting take. You should come on here more often. We have a couple other UK :newcards: fans on here. One came out here for the NFC Championship game and we had a blast. :koolaid:

Thank you.

This minor passion allows me to kill time while I check overnight markets.