The Official 2014 World Cup Thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Battle for 2nd place in Group A between Croatia and Mexico should be interesting. If Mexico gets back to 2011-2012 level, they should have no problem advancing.

Spain will win group B, and Chile might give overrated Netherlands a scare, maybe even upset them.

Colombia will cruise to top spot in group C, Japan should get the runner up. Ivory coast has a chance, but Japan is more technically sound.

Group D, the REAL group of death features 3 world cup champions. Has this ever happened before?? England has sucked recently, but they are still very talented. Italy and Uruguay will advance.

Group E, Switzerland will cruise, and either Honduras or Ecuador should advance overrated France.

Group F, Argentina will cruise, Bosnia should handle Iran and Nigeria.

Group G, Both Germany and Portugal will cruise through the group. They'll finish 1 and 2, order is a tossup. No chance for the Yanks.

Group H, Belgium and Russia move on.

And this is why people laugh at you for being a Mexico homer and a nonsensical U.S. hater. What possible reason do you have to think Mexico can recapture great form? What have they shown to make you believe that? Beating up on a crap team? Relying on the U.S. to get them through? Wow.

The Yanks have no chance, eh? Portugal's been such a powerhouse through qualification that we should be trembling in our boots, right? Puh-lease. I'm not saying we're going through, but saying Portugal will simply cruise is a joke.

Heh, joke. How applicable.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And this is why people laugh at you for being a Mexico homer and a nonsensical U.S. hater. What possible reason do you have to think Mexico can recapture great form? What have they shown to make you believe that? Beating up on a crap team? Relying on the U.S. to get them through?

Yeah, and I care a lot about what this usmnt homers board think about me.
You must be registered for see images

I don't think you're genuinely interested in wanting to know why Mex will recover 2011 level, you are just salty that you didn't like my prediction. But in case you are, the change in coaching will have a lot to do with it. Instead of having 34yr olds Torrado and Salcido in our midfield as Mex did in the Chepo era, we now have 23yr old Pena and 27yr old Montes. Possibly even Hector Herrera, who is slowly working his way in the Champions/Portuguese league at Porto. Not to mention there is a chance we will have Vela, who has been one of the Top 5 players in Spain the past year.

The talent is there, it just wasn't being used properly. Thanks for beating Panama, i'd probably quit hanging my hat on that one...as you can see, all the hard work in qualifiers, did nothing but land the US in the 2nd toughest group in the cup.

The Yanks have no chance, eh? Portugal's been such a powerhouse through qualification that we should be trembling in our boots, right? Puh-lease. I'm not saying we're going through, but saying Portugal will simply cruise is a joke.

Heh, joke. How applicable.

They were only one point away from qualifying directly. They didn't exactly have a bad qualifier, just underwhelming for a team with the best player in the world... He was phenomenal in the playoff vs Sweden, and he will have an absolute field day w/ Brad Evans/any US defender. If the US had landed in any of the other groups that CONCACAF got (except CR's) I would choose them to move on. They didn't, and I won't. Don't let it ruin your day.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, and I care a lot about what this usmnt homers board think about me.

Other than the fact that you haven't posted during Mexico's down year--NOW we're supposed to think it's not a big deal? Heh. Hilarious.

I don't think you're genuinely interested in wanting to know why Mex will recover 2011 level, you are just salty that you didn't like my prediction. But in case you are, the change in coaching will have a lot to do with it. Instead of having 34yr olds Torrado and Salcido in our midfield as Mex did in the Chepo era, we now have 23yr old Pena and 27yr old Montes. Possibly even Hector Herrera, who is slowly working his way in the Champions/Portuguese league at Porto. Not to mention there is a chance we will have Vela, who has been one of the Top 5 players in Spain the past year.

You have the same team now as you did two months ago. "Salty" because he didn't like your prediction? Your "prediction" is nothing but homerism. You know it and we know it. How you try to justify it is hilarious.

The talent is there, it just wasn't being used properly. Thanks for beating Panama, i'd probably quit hanging my hat on that one...as you can see, all the hard work in qualifiers, did nothing but land the US in the 2nd toughest group in the cup.

So? We didn't have any control over that. Your "team" is in the World Cup when it by all rights shouldn't be. To think that all of a sudden they're going to turn it on is ridiculous.

And never forget--you are where you are solely because of the United States. No ifs, ands or buts. There is NO disputing that, however much you cry into your cheerios about it.

They were only one point away from qualifying directly. They didn't exactly have a bad qualifier, just underwhelming for a team with the best player in the world... He was phenomenal in the playoff vs Sweden, and he will have an absolute field day w/ Brad Evans/any US defender. If the US had landed in any of the other groups that CONCACAF got (except CR's) I would choose them to move on. They didn't, and I won't. Don't let it ruin your day.

Don't worry, you not picking the US to advance (not surprisingly) won't ruin anyone's day. In fact, anybody could always use a good laugh.

So thank you.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What a small memory some of us have. Uruguay barely qualified last World Cup, and went on to have a very good run. Even went on and defeated US' daddy, Ghana.

Of course Uruguay has more offensive talent than Mexico, but much like Uruguay in 2010, Mexico 2014 faces a favorable group. One of the (if not THE) best chance to advance of any concacaf team.

FWIW, it wasn't me who brought Mexico into this.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a small memory some of us have. Uruguay barely qualified last World Cup, and went on to have a very good run. Even went on and defeated US' daddy, Ghana.

Of course Uruguay has more offensive talent than Mexico, but much like Uruguay in 2010, Mexico 2014 faces a favorable group. One of the (if not THE) best chance to advance of any concacaf team.

FWIW, it wasn't me who brought Mexico into this.

Are you going to come back and post when Mexico doesn't advance?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think we can too, but we don't have any room for error. We had a great 2002, but people forget that we screwed it up after seizing control, and needed a different team to help us advance. That won't cut it this time around. We have to come out prepared and all guns blazing against Ghana, and we have to play stout (no pun intended) against Portugal. We need to sew it up before the Germany game, because if we wait until then and need to get a result, we're screwed.

My Hope.....

We beat Ghana while Germany beats Portugal.
We tie Portugal while Germany beats Ghana
We tie Germany because they sit everyone since they already clinched the group. Portugal vs. Ghana won't matter.

GER - 7pts
USA - 5pts
Por - 1 to 4 pts
Ghana - 0 to 3pts

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
My Hope.....

We beat Ghana while Germany beats Portugal.
We tie Portugal while Germany beats Ghana
We tie Germany because they sit everyone since they already clinched the group. Portugal vs. Ghana won't matter.

GER - 7pts
USA - 5pts
Por - 1 to 4 pts
Ghana - 0 to 3pts

Even if Germany sits about 4 of their starters they still beat US easily.

In your scenario Germany would be at 6 and the US at 4 going into the last game so a loss to the US would drop Germany to 2nd. No way they sit someone or try for a 0-0 game. But who knows maybe the fix will be in and both teams would agree to a draw to advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Flattered you'd remember.

Anyone else have WC predictions?
My prediction -

Mexico does alright/US gets knocked out - you won't shut up for months.

Mexico doesn't get through group - we won't hear from you until the US has a poor patch of form, when you will return as if you haven't been avoiding this place like the plague.

It really does make me laugh how your team have been so poor and we hear nothing from, nothing. Yet because the US got a tough group (which I relish as a fan BTW) you have turned up again, spouting you usual hate.

Has slinslin appeared on the thread? I've missed reading his valuable thoughts.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So I have to pick the US to advance, despite being in the 2nd toughest group, otherwise I'm "hating" on them...?

Is that what you're saying, ol' Milly?

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So I have to pick the US to advance, despite being in the 2nd toughest group, otherwise I'm "hating" on them...?

Is that what you're saying, ol' Milly?

Err, no. Quite clearly I wasn't.

I was saying that you have been oddly absent as Mexico has slumped and all of a sudden have re-appeared now that the US has a tough draw.

It just makes me laugh.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Meh, I didn't miss much, there was nothing worth commenting on til the WCQs were done.

Kinda crappy how the WCQ finishing position is absolutely meaningless in the long run.. It's Mex and Hon who should have the tougher groups. Had the US been placed in one of their groups, I would've picked them to advance. Just too tough in that group.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
World Cup 2014

You must be registered for see images attach

Kicks off June 12.

US plays on June 16.

My stating the obvious prediction is Brazil wins. Home soil + great team = tough to beat.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a feeling either Brazil or Germany will be holding the cup at the end.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had forgotten how exciting Group D (along with Group G) matches would be.

Indeed. Everyone talks about our group as the group of death, but D has the toughest group by a pretty big margin if you ask me.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the US can somehow get out of their group, they will have to likely face Belgium/Russia in the quarterfinals. I can see them beating Russia if they can score 2 goals.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
my italians have a tough road, the latest they can play brazil is the qtrs and thats if italy finishes group 1st ahead of uruguay. In the end I think Spain will be hoisting the cup. They could have the easiest road of all the top contenders.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a feeling either Brazil or Germany will be holding the cup at the end.
I like germany the most overall, bad losing reus, but if anyone can recover from an injury they can.

but with brazil being the host I just feel like it is their world cup to lose. my mind tells me germany, my gut tells me brasil. those are the two teams i like the most to win it. I have no loyalty to any other team other than the USA and I really feel they are playing about as well as i've ever seen them play. the good news is they will get to face 3 teams that are all on different levels if you ask me and that should give us a pretty darn good idea of where we stand compared to the other teams. ghana I feel is a must win but is at best level with us or ahead if you consider they have knocked us out the last 2. portugal would be a huge upset if we could draw or win. and of corse it would be a dream to get a result against germany.

spain obviously is capable and france is a team that could surprise some folks even without ribery. belgium is a good team as well. there are a lot of good teams too many to list. I also like costa rica to turn some heads because I feel they are really at or near the USA level and above mexico to this point. but they are in the other group of death. you also have to consider that the south american teams could get a jolt out of playing on their continent uraguay and argentina need a good showing...even the teams like mexico and portugal could get extra support from fans. mexico have always faired well in south america, but I don't feel they are a legit contender based on their underperformance over the last 2 years.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky