The Official Anti Danny Bautista Rant Thread!

Desert Fox

I give girls the Big O
Reaction score
I've been waiting a while now for Danny to get and stay healthy. 4 RBI's thus far today, 2 HR's. He's the greatest offensive threat for us up to this point in the season.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This thread just goes to show all of us how pathetic we are at prognosticating.

D.B. was the one player we all wanted to get rid of and now he's the only guy showing up day in and day out.

Ironically, if he keeps this up and the Dbacks keep losing he may be our best trade bait at the deadline.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Well, let's hope they don't move him around in the lineup or otherwise jinx him. And hope he doesn't slam into a wall and break something or pull a hammy stretching for an extra base. Really like to keep this thing going. ;) I plan to keep my #29 shirt packed away - no need to introduce new wavelets in the cosmos.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Of course this is too good to last - but it does make those of us who always felt Danny had it in him feel a little better. Just have to see if he can sustain it a little longer this time. Do like his arm in RF.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Danny extended his hitting-streak, however, he nearly decapitated Finley on a routine fly-ball out to center... I wonder why it seems he constantly has communication problems out there.....

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Well, Danny extended his hitting-streak, however, he nearly decapitated Finley on a routine fly-ball out to center... I wonder why it seems he constantly has communication problems out there.....
Try playing the outfield with cheering fans around...

Yesterday, there was a similar play but Danny avoided coming too close to Finley this time.

Djaughe

Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Maybe finley should learn spanish to say "I got it!".....

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moviegeekjn said:
Try playing the outfield with cheering fans around...

Yesterday, there was a similar play but Danny avoided coming too close to Finley this time.
I played OF in the Little Leagues, so I feel I'm qualified to judge Major League OFs...:D...Just Kidding!

Seriously though..... Several OFs have played under the same elements (with cheering fans surrounding them), however, they don't have the tendency to collide all that time that it seems Bautista does....

Even though what Djaughe said was sarcastic...He's right though...The fundamental approach is to say "I got it!"....Perhaps Finley must become more animated whenever there's a fly-ball to Right-Center....Who knows?

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
I played OF in the Little Leagues, so I feel I'm qualified to judge Major League OFs...:D...Just Kidding!

Seriously though..... Several OFs have played under the same elements (with cheering fans surrounding them), however, they don't have the tendency to collide all that time that it seems Bautista does....

Even though what Djaughe said was sarcastic...He's right though...The fundamental approach is to say "I got it!"....Perhaps Finley must become more animated whenever there's a fly-ball to Right-Center....Who knows?
This reminded me of a funny story that Phillies phans tell about the late great Richie Ashburn who, god rest his soul, finished his career with the 1962 Mets, possibly a team even more hapless than the 2003 Tigers. You know the team that inspired many a Casey Stengel joke as in "What do you think of your team's execution?" to which he responded "Sounds like a good idea".

Well the Whitey Ashburn joke goes as follows:

Ashburn played center most of the time with Elio Chacon the shortstop and Felix Mantilla at second. Whenever a fly ball was hit into short center, Ashburn would call, "I've got it" which fazed neither Chacon nor Mantilla who invariably ran into Ashburn.

Whitey was discussing the problem with one of the Met coaches and they decided it must be the language barrier, so Ashburn learned the Spanish translation, "Yo la tengo."

Next game there's a ball hit into short left center and the now bilingual Whitey comes running in calling "Yo la tengo. Yo la tengo." for all he's worth. Chacon pulls up. And Whitey got flattened by Gus Bell steamrolling in from left.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Does D. Bautista wear ear plugs? :shrug:

I notice some batters do to help them focus......

AZZenny

Reaction score
Well, I heard someone talk about moving Danny to the #5 spot, so look for him to go into a slide. Speaking of which, he seems much less prone so far this year to try to stretch an extra base out of a hit - maybe that's a side effect of the streak, but that was one of his real non-tools in the past - not the smartest baserunner. ;)

AZZenny

Reaction score
I guess with Sexson out for a month all things must be tinkered with mightily - but they are talking about putting Fins or more likely Danny in the clean-up slot. I think that would be really bad for Danny, and sure would have liked to see Finley to get his patented hot streak a little firmer before something like that. Why not put Tracy batting third and Gonzo clean-up, then Fins, then Danny?

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I guess with Sexson out for a month all things must be tinkered with mightily - but they are talking about putting Fins or more likely Danny in the clean-up slot. I think that would be really bad for Danny, and sure would have liked to see Finley to get his patented hot streak a little firmer before something like that. Why not put Tracy batting third and Gonzo clean-up, then Fins, then Danny?
you do realize that Tracy, Gonzo and Fins would be three left handers in a row?

Come the 8th inning or so the obligatory left-handed reliever will be brought in to pitch to the 3 lefties and then a righty will pitch to the rest of the line-up. I'm not big on lefty/righty matchups but you don't want to make it too easy on the opposing manager.

Of course that's why Sexson is such a loss. With him following Gonzo he could break up the two lefties and if they bring a lefty in to pitch to Gonzo, he'll have to pitch to Sexson or they'll burn him for only one batter.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Heck what difference does it make - R or L handed, we're so bad against lefties anyhow...
But it looks like BB agrees with not moving Danny for now - he is putting Shea, or whoever covers first base, in the fourth spot for the time being. ALMOST makes me feel sorry for Shea, because the contrast with Sexson in clean-up likely won't be favorable. I hope he hits very well, in any case.

Meanwhile, Danny somehow keeps getting a solid (or sometimes, like last night, lucky) peck or two every game and hasn't injured himself yet -- not hitting for power, but back to being a solid gap hitter. Maybe he fell apart last year becaue everyone -teamates and fans - thought he'd be the slugger, when really, his power hits have always been more incidental.
Still a lousy baserunner, though. LOL. Thom was all over him for not getting to third last night - used to be, he'd have tried for home (and failed) on that play. Pedrique is being somewhat conservative, and I approve.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can't neglect this thread whatsoever...Yeah, Bautista's hitting streak ended at 21-games, but he still drove in 2 pivotal runs during Saturday's game that proved to be the difference in the outcome and then today collected 3 hits and drove in 2 more RBIs..... I just hope he continues to prove me wrong......

Cland

Veteran
Reaction score
This is exactly what we need while Sexson is out. Will Danny ever cool off?

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Haven't heard tonight's line-up yet - hope they haven't bounced people around. Of course, if Danny gets hurt, at least we do have a real back-up OF now in DeVore - if he ever gets a chance to hit - he was fairly hot in Tucson, but that was several days ago. Hope DB can keep it going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05