The official Dave Ramsey thread

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As of today.....

Since beginning the FPU class (dec 06), my wife and I have paid off roughly 17.5 K worth of debt.....Spending plans really work! We went from having no money at the end of the month to this!!!! I have to admit, 8 K was a bonus which we used, but the other 9.5 was simply $$ discovered through an accountable spending plan. It worked for us everyone...and it's worth considering no matter your financial situation.:cheers:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since beginning the FPU class (dec 06), my wife and I have paid off roughly 17.5 K worth of debt.....Spending plans really work! We went from having no money at the end of the month to this!!!! I have to admit, 8 K was a bonus which we used, but the other 9.5 was simply $$ discovered through an accountable spending plan. It worked for us everyone...and it's worth considering no matter your financial situation.:cheers:
Congrats! I'm so glad I've always been too poor to have debt :)

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Poor is nothing more than a state of mind....I've been as material poor as one can get, but at the same time, richer than anyone can be. Poor is a word that was thrown out badly for me....I hope the same for you:)
I hope that makes sense...it's rather hard for me to articulate.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor is nothing more than a state of mind....I've been as material poor as one can get, but at the same time, richer than anyone can be. Poor is a word that was thrown out badly for me....I hope the same for you:)
I hope that makes sense...it's rather hard for me to articulate.
I only view myself as poor in the strictest monetary definition of the word. I have everything I need, and much, much more. :D

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

awesome man - welcome to the club! not having any debt is a wonderful feeling.

shawn

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We're not out of the woods yet...but it sure is nice to see the clearing ahead!!:D

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So I haven't used a credit card in over 2 years. I pay everything cash or on my debit card. So I went to rent a car.......

Screw the car rental world, they wouldn't let me rent a car on my debit card because I was an in state resident. The only place that would do it was Enterprise and I had to put down a $250.00 deposit and have them run a credit check.

Luckily I had a Capital One card for emergencies. Stupid world

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of lame debit card do you have?

Most debit cards have a Visa or Mastercard symbol on them.

Retailers run them like a credit card but the money is still debited from your checking account.

Never had an issue with it. :shrug:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Retailers run them like a credit card but the money is still debited from your checking account.

I have a Platinum Visa Debit Card from Wells Fargo. I think it was because I rented from the Airport, I don't know. They wanted proof of a return ticket. They suck okay

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Platinum Visa Debit Card from Wells Fargo. I think it was because I rented from the Airport, I don't know. They wanted proof of a return ticket. They suck okay

Some policies make no sense. :doi:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are still people without good credit or can't get a visa/master card checking card and just have a checking account debit card.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screw Dave Ramsey :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are still people without good credit or can't get a visa/master card checking card and just have a checking account debit card.

Gotcha. Seems like mine has always had the Visa symbol. Maybe it's because I've banked with the same bank (basically) for over 20 years...

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I think the key is really understanding your spending habits and making committed change in behavior based off the numbers. I just don't think people have a great understanding a lot of time of what they really spend their money on, so they just keep accumulating debts all while not having any cash to pay them off.

So the plan I used:
Step 1: Stop living like a millionare until you are actually a millionare.
Step 2: Stop using credit cards, unless it's an emergency.
Step 3: Make a detailed budget, one that categories all your spending
Step 4: Find areas to cut, I found eating out anywhere is a huge one that accumulates daily. Cutting that out alone often saves hundreds each month you can put to debts.
Step 5: Live frugal for a while. I found that saving for everything over $250 is a good way to make sure I really want it and I bypass the whole implusive feeling I get at the store or online.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All I have is a debit card with a Visa (no credit) and on occasion I run into places that only accept straight credit and can't debit it out. I haven't quite figured out the rhyme or reason for it, but its pretty rare anyways. :shrug:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I only view myself as poor in the strictest monetary definition of the word. I have everything I need, and much, much more. :D

I totally agree with this. I try to live 50% under my means, so that I can save 50% of our income. But the thing is I have everything I need and more. Everyone keeps telling me to ditch my paid off beloved 2000 civic w/87000 miles because I should own a nice car to reflect on my career and enjoy some of the success.
I think it's often this artifical image people try to put off that keeps them from getting their heads above water.

The nice thing about saving is the F off attitude I can bring to work each day. It really is fun not having to depend on a paycheck.

Last edited:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

You're right, but they are not credit cards, eventhough they "run as credit" it's not credit. From clarkhoward.com

Jul 13, 2007 -- Ditch the Debit, Use the Credit
The Wall Street Journal isn't usually known for protecting the consumer. Yet the paper recently ran an article explaining how dangerous the use of debit cards can be for the average person. That's no secret around here at Clarkhoward.com, where Clark routinely refers to debit cards as a "piece of trash fake Visa or fake Mastercard." Sure it looks like a credit card, and it works similarly to one, but it can really foul you up in ways that a traditional credit card can not.

Say for example you buy a knife set that's being advertised on TV. If you pay for it with your debit card and it never arrives in the mail, you have no recourse. Had you paid with your credit card, all you have to do is dispute the charge. The same pitfalls can occur anytime you use your credit card to pay for something now that you'll be receiving later, such as airline tickets, cruises reservations and more. Other areas of danger with debit cards include the difficulty of refuting charges if your card is stolen, and the practice of hotels and some car-rental agencies that put a large hold on your account in advance of a transaction. Did you know that the latter practice can cause you to bounce checks even though the money is there in your account? The bottom line is that Clark believes the same protections enjoyed by credit-card users should be afforded to debit-card users. But the banks are making a fortune off debit cards, so there's no real incentive for them to change their ways. As Clark says, it used be that bank robbery involved a thief going to a bank and saying "Stick 'em up!" But today it's you that's getting robbed by the bank when you use a debit card.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clark Howard has some good advice but I am with Dave Ramsey when it comes to absolutely no credit cards.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's something that might make some of you guys crazy.

In the last year I've signed up for five credit cards (for $575 in cash and $400 in gift cards in signup bonuses). I use one rewards card for everyday purchases (gas/groceries) and don't buy much else with it or any of the others. I'd have to be spending another 800-1000 per month anyways to not be able to pay off the balance.

BTW, I know too many inquiries can affect my credit score. However those effects are short term (six months). I'm not going to buying a condo/house or anything else big for at least two years, so it's not a big deal IMO.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's something that might make some of you guys crazy.

In the last year I've signed up for five credit cards (for $575 in cash and $400 in gift cards in signup bonuses). I use one rewards card for everyday purchases (gas/groceries) and don't buy much else with it or any of the others. I'd have to be spending another 800-1000 per month anyways to not be able to pay off the balance.

BTW, I know too many inquiries can affect my credit score. However those effects are short term (six months). I'm not going to buying a condo/house or anything else big for at least two years, so it's not a big deal IMO.

Doesn't make us crazy. Makes you normal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky