The Official Discuss Coach D'Antoni Thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be ******* at all. I just think D'Antoni is a pretty damn good coach, and I do get a bit tired of people complaining about 50+ win seasons and deep playoff runs.

Honestly, I was 'working' during the game, so I was only able to catch clips of it, so I can't give a great analysis of why D'Antoni did what he did or if it was a good idea. All I know is, he's using his bench more, and still winning, so I'm a happy camper.

Have I complained about it before this thread? No, so don't jump my case about it. Don't lump me in with others. Take your sarcasm elsewhere.

I don't get to watch the Suns much, but now it looks like I will get to for the rest of the season. I just don't want coaching decisions in the playoffs like I saw last night. I'm sure he probably wouldn't do that in the playoffs, but coming down the stretch, I don't want to see him jeopardizing big games like that, banking on the fact that the other team isn't currently shooting well to save his rear.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Have I complained about it before this thread? No, so don't jump my case about it. Don't lump me in with others. Take your sarcasm elsewhere.

I don't get to watch the Suns much, but now it looks like I will get to for the rest of the season. I just don't want coaching decisions in the playoffs like I saw last night. I'm sure he probably wouldn't do that in the playoffs, but coming down the stretch, I don't want to see him jeopardizing big games like that, banking on the fact that the other team isn't currently shooting well to save his rear.

You're being a bit touchy. I don't have a database of who said what when. I didn't realize you hadn't been in the very large group who complained about D'Antoni's bench use. It is a very large group, so I don't have everyone who's ever done it memorized, sorry.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Now now, Hoover Dam and green machine, don't act douchy on the guy who hardly ever posts here. I haven't been a part of what has obviously been some petty arguing going on in this forum. I've never made a comment one way or another on the issue. I think it's great he went to his bench with the kid who played well in practice. Just don't do it when you sit your other stars too. It's one thing to insert the kid into the lineup, but it's another to make the entire lineup a second-tier lineup. Just because we get a 10 or a 12 point lead doesn't mean you put in your entire second team, you know. And you especially don't keep on doing it, after the other team comes back and the quarter changes.

No douchyness here, but when someone comes up with a post that I disagree with, no matter who it is or how often they post here, I'll respond with my opinion. And, like Hoover, I also get tired off all the D'Antoni bashing because, well, it seems like he can do no right in the eyes of many of the fans here. And to me that's awful.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
No douchyness here, but when someone comes up with a post that I disagree with, no matter who it is or how often they post here, I'll respond with my opinion. And, like Hoover, I also get tired off all the D'Antoni bashing because, well, it seems like he can do no right in the eyes of many of the fans here. And to me that's awful.

Just saying, to you and Hoover, to not come with sarcasm, angry smilies, and condescension at me. That won't fly, I don't appreciate it, and instead of making excuses for it, sack up and own it. I'm not being touchy--I don't like being attacked for no cause. Now let's carry on and talk about the issue.

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score
everybody wanted to get Shaq more involved in things as a sort of welcoming present. It's primarily what led to all of those first half turnovers.

yeah, i really didn't like how they tried to forcefeed shaq in traffic. maybe the guys want to see that trademark monster slam, i don't know...

as for mike D, i really can't complain with his rotation tonight as opposed to the lakers game. anyway if you want to experiment on the lineup with shaq, it's better to do it as early as possible obviously. bench depth plays a huge role in the playoffs, if we wish to utilize them, we need to know what works. remember that the guys like marks seem useless before, is now playing on a different system now....

as for diaw, i haven't been here long enough to relate to people's grudge towards him, so i can only say this in a regular spectator's point of view. and what i saw last night, boris was the least of our problems. his defense was decent at the least, the energy is there, just what i expect for a role player...

overall, the turnovers are mostly unforced, and as i've seen time and time again, it goes down as chemistry gets better. i'm positive about what our chemistry will be like. kinda scary if you think about it, 2 good games and we haven't even gelled yet :shock:...

gotta do something about our spacing though...

HooverDam

Reaction score
Just saying, to you and Hoover, to not come with sarcasm, angry smilies, and condescension at me. That won't fly, I don't appreciate it, and instead of making excuses for it, sack up and own it. I'm not being touchy--I don't like being attacked for no cause. Now let's carry on and talk about the issue.

I'm sorry, but this is an insane post. You come across as some macho meat head here, which I hope you don't mean to.

No one is being condescending. I was merely pointing out that Suns fans seem to complain about D'Antoni no matter what he does. You are making yourself feel overly important if you think anything was overtly directed at you or was meant as an attack on you.

Like I said, it would be near impossible to note who said what when for all of time on this board, so I didn't realize you hadn't complained about D'Antoni before.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this is an insane post. You come across as some macho meat head here, which I hope you don't mean to.

No one is being condescending. I was merely pointing out that Suns fans seem to complain about D'Antoni no matter what he does. You are making yourself feel overly important if you think anything was overtly directed at you or was meant as an attack on you.

Like I said, it would be near impossible to note who said what when for all of time on this board, so I didn't realize you hadn't complained about D'Antoni before.

Sorry if you feel that way, but you and green came across as idiots, and then simply fired back when called on it. If you weren't directing it at me, who were you directing it at? And, as a person who posts mostly on the Cards forum, I have absolutely no problem picking out people who don't normally post there. Again, it was simply rude, and then you were rude on top of it. You haven't been civil yet. Instead of 'sorry for jumping you' it is me supposedly making myself look important. That's not the case. I simply reacted to being badmouthed, and got badmouthed for that. Sorry, but that's simple truth.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I'm NOT a fan of Mr Mike D'Antoni.
There are those here who believe he is genius.
Then there are those here who don't get caught up in this.
I can't stand those who are enamored with D'Antoni's coaching.
Those same people can't stand those who can't stand him.
It is what it is...but it's nothing personal to be sure.

Last edited:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Sorry if you feel that way, but you and green came across as idiots, and then simply fired back when called on it. If you weren't directing it at me, who were you directing it at? And, as a person who posts mostly on the Cards forum, I have absolutely no problem picking out people who don't normally post there. Again, it was simply rude, and then you were rude on top of it. You haven't been civil yet. Instead of 'sorry for jumping you' it is me supposedly making myself look important. That's not the case. I simply reacted to being badmouthed, and got badmouthed for that. Sorry, but that's simple truth.

I don't think either of us came across as idiots, but man, none of this was personal. None at all.

Sorry neither of us realized you don't post her often, honestly though, I read the post and reply, sometimes not even paying attention to who the original poster is.

But again, nobody was badmouthing you, just your opinion that D'Antoni is bad and that you can coach better then him. You wrote that, I believe. I think you're wrong and I called you on it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I'm NOT a fan of Mr Mike D'Antoni.
There are those here who believe he is genius.
Then there are those here who don't get caught up in this.
I can't stand those who are enamored with D'Antoni's coaching.
Those same people can't stand those who can't stand him.
It is what it is...but it's nothing personal to be sure.

LOL

There is NOBODY here that thinks D'Antoni is a genius. 95% of the posters here think he's an idiot.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
LOL

There is NOBODY here that thinks D'Antoni is a genius. 95% of the posters here think he's an idiot.

I think he's a pretty good basketball coach. Sure, there are better coaches out there, but I don't think there are that many and I don't see the need to can D'Antoni just so the team can bring in a Van Gundy, or an Adelman, or a Carlisle, or whoever everyone says would get this team over the top.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Sorry neither of us realized you don't post her often, honestly though, I read the post and reply, sometimes not even paying attention to who the original poster is.

Exactly. Stout if you can't realize that a post using SMILEYS isn't meant to be an attack, I don't know what to tell you. I don't imagine someone who's actually trying to attack someone thinks "I should use emoticons to really slam this guy"

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
2 issues with the dantonis, actually it's 1 bigone and a small one, his philosophy is Bell and Diaw should shoot a long jumpers over feeding amare kills me.

The other is his nepotism, which is borderline criminal considering we killed the best GM the suns had because of that fact.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Lets take a Poll.
D'Antoni:
Genius?
Satisfactory?
In over his stubborn,arrogant head?

genius with bringing run n gun back when he did, the league was totally not ready for it.

satisfactory as a coach.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The other is his nepotism, which is borderline criminal considering we killed the best GM the suns had because of that fact.

huh? Mike hiring his brother Dan lead to Bryan Colangelo leaving? I am not at all following what you are trying to get at here.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate D'Antoni? This thread is for you. Post your complaints here!

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everyone here is a better coach than D'Antoni.

Screw him and his 65.1% winning percentage. If you aren't topping 70% then get the heck out of here.

Coach of the year you say? So two years ago.

Semifinals or conference finals every year he has had a full season to coach? If it isn't a championship who cares!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think everyone here is a better coach than D'Antoni.

Screw him and his 65.1% winning percentage.

Remind me what Westphal's winning percentage was after his first three years with the Suns?

The question isn't whether D'Antoni's a better coach than I am. It's whether he's among the small handful of very best coaches in the world.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Remind me what Westphal's winning percentage was after his first three years with the Suns?

The question isn't whether D'Antoni's a better coach than I am. It's whether he's among the small handful of very best coaches in the world.

Westphal lost control of that Suns team, you can't deny that. D'Antoni, for better or worse, definitely hasn't lost control of this team. That's a pretty major difference.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score

Ha! The original title of this thread and the tone herein was hardly that genteel. If D'Antoni isn't one of the very best coaches in the world then he should be subject to ignorant criticism? Dude, you're no Zubin Mehta but I wouldn't start a thread with "WTF Lindholm!!!!?!??!?!!"

HooverDam

Reaction score

Personally, I'm a big fan of the way the Utah Jazz have kept Jerry Sloan around. Sure, he hasn't won the title, but thats a very hard thing to do, especially in the NBA, a league thats prone to dynasties. If D'Antoni keeps his winning percentage where it is, he can stay as long as he wants as far as I'm concerned. Coaches learn and grow over time and get better, you aren't going to make a coach better by firing him just because he won every game except the last one.

GorrilaLips

Registered
Reaction score
Westphal didn't have the lineup that D'antoni has now. Although Westphal didn't have a bunch of degenerates either....but a very well rounded team back than....like I said though, comparing that team with the Suns team a few years back to now...is a whole new ballgame. I'm one of those who defended D'antoni for a few years, when everyone I've grown with who are die-hard Phoenix fans along with my brother have revolted against D'antoni; they absolutely hate him and think it's all smoke and mirrors thinking why others don't see past this.

It was game after game last year and this year....that I couldn't really defend D'Antoni as much because.....everything that everyone said, started to make more sense and come true. D'Antoni is like a little kid throwing a tantrum and acting like a total stubborn tool....riding on the coat-tails of his team and not even fully utilizing them, but over utilizing one player to carry most of the team.
Run N' Gun doesn't take Genius! Just run with the ball and keep doing that, his press conferences explained a lot about his mental image of the game...as it's the same old broken record. It explains a lot when we played Los Angelas early in the season and D'Antoni was yelling and crying because of Phil Jackson's time out call.....Phil jackson was like...."Shut the hell up, you don't even know how to coach right....idiot"
Just that look on his face and putting D'antoni in his place...was priceless.

I couldn't defend his action because it's exactly what everyone was trying to tell me about D'Antoni.....
I think though, for what it is.....realistically thinking though, with everything aside, D'Antoni despite what others and I believe about him, is good for the Suns RIGHT NOW, because there is no other coach that will go for the Suns as they are either retired or they are coaching another team and he's our best bet right now.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
By the way, I think D'Antoni is #10 or so now on the NBA coaches all-time by winning percentage.