The Official "Don't Waste the #6 Pick on Terrell Suggs" Thread

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila came out weighing about 240 and did 18 reps at the combine. And let's not forget how everyone talked themselves out of drafting Jevon Kearse for the same reason.

Was it a great workout? No, it sucked. Does a workout mean more than a 3 year college career on the field? No.

If you look at tape of Suggs running people down on the field, you would have to be forced to assume that the 4.8 time does not accurately reflect his playing speed.

But of course most people don't know $hit, they've seen the guy play once or twice and read some workout numbers and assume they know if he's going to be a bust or not.

That's right on Ed. And the comparison to Thomas Burke is ludicrous. Burke was NEVER even rated as a first rounder the year he was drafted. We took him in the third round. The scouts had it right on Burke, there's a good chance they've got it right on Suggs as well. At least better than guys who learn 95% of what they know about a player from internet message boards.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Woo! Zinger!!

I should have known better than to think you'd give a substantive reply.

All you talk about it workout numbers. That's the only thing you've ever mentioned regarding Long and Suggs. What are we supposed to assume?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila came out weighing about 240 and did 18 reps at the combine. And let's not forget how everyone talked themselves out of drafting Jevon Kearse for the same reason.

Was it a great workout? No, it sucked. Does a workout mean more than a 3 year college career on the field? No.

If you look at tape of Suggs running people down on the field, you would have to be forced to assume that the 4.8 time does not accurately reflect his playing speed.

But of course most people don't know $hit, they've seen the guy play once or twice and read some workout numbers and assume they know if he's going to be a bust or not.

Hey, I'm not saying that Suggs is going to be a bust or not - but KGB wasn't drafted with the sixth pick for a reason AND isn't KGB used primarily as a situational pass rusher because he can't play the run? Look, I would love to have KGB, don't get me wrong, he gets after the QB something fierce, but first I would love to have him because he has PROVED he can do it at this level, having said that - KGB is not a complete player in any stretch of the imagination. Personally I'm not sure when he was drafted either, do you have that info?

As far as telling people they don't know sh*t, I know you are a moderator, but people are entitled to their own opinions and personally, I find you being extremely heavy handed with people trying to make arguments you personally dislike. You're acting like a foul-mouthed Tango. You know I don't remember anyone coming on to the site and blasting you a moron after your iron-clad locks that Colvin wouldn't get out of town without being signed to a contract. Ease up man.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef

As far as telling people they don't know sh*t, I know you are a moderator, but people are entitled to their own opinions and personally, I find you being extremely heavy handed with people trying to make arguments you personally dislike. You're acting like a foul-mouthed Tango. You know I don't remember anyone coming on to the site and blasting you a moron after your iron-clad locks that Colvin wouldn't get out of town without being signed to a contract. Ease up man.

I'm only a moderator so I can post articles without bugging Mike, I've never moderated anyone's posts in any way.

I said the Colvin thing was a hunch 1000000 times. Go back and read the threads.

I draw a distinction between people's opinions and people stating opinions as facts. If people can't back up an argument, that's not my problem. It has nothing to do with personal dislike. Simply stating "Terrell Suggs is a bust because he had a bad workout" makes no sense and while you can hold that opinion, you can't expect other people to say it's logical.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
In my opinion, I can't get involved with this discussion, because it would mean agreeing with Mr. Ed, and the Beef.

THAT...just won't work.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex
In my opinion, I can't get involved with this discussion, because it would mean agreeing with Mr. Ed, and the Beef.

THAT...just won't work.

Oh, come on, it's not so bad. Try it.

Also, FYI, a lot of people used to call me "Mr Ed", but then they turned 10.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is there to back up?

His workout blew, and we have the sixth pick overall.

Finally I get a chance to say this - AND THEY'RE OFF!

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What is there to back up?

His workout blew, and we have the sixth pick overall.

Well, a well supported argument would back up why a bad workout means he's not worth the 6th pick, but I guess I'm the idiot for expecting any sort of support for an opinion on here. People just say things and that makes them true and I'm the cornholio for questioning it.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I said the Colvin thing was a hunch 1000000 times. Go back and read the threads.

It's all a freaking hunch.

Based on all the games you saw Suggs play in person, your take on him is a hunch as well, is it not?

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Well, a well supported argument would back up why a bad workout means he's not worth the 6th pick, but I guess I'm the idiot for expecting any sort of support for an opinion on here. People just say things and that makes them true and I'm the cornholio for questioning it.

Bro, make no mistake. If I wanted to call you an idiot, I would most definately call you an idiot. But notice that I'm not... or don't. Whatever.

You think Suggs is a good pick at 6.
I have my doubts.

Where's the need for drama here?

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's all a freaking hunch.

Based on all the games you saw Suggs play in person, your take on him is a hunch as well, is it not?

Absolutely. 100%. He might suck royally.

But I think someone (like a scout) who watches a guy play 35 times and has an understanding of all the little things a player can do and knows everything about them on the field is in a much better spot to say a player is or isn't good than someone who just sees workout numbers.

Scouts are pretty unanimous about this guy. I don't like to believe other people's opinions on a guy so I watch quite a bit of game myself and I think the dude can play. Now, I have been quite wrong a whole bunch of times (I thought Leonard Davis sucked) but I've been right a few too and I think having seen him play a dozen times gives me a little more to guess on than just workout numbers.

But once again, you're right, it's just an opinion and I may be totally wrong.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, I have been quite wrong a whole bunch of times (I thought Leonard Davis sucked)

Also lets not forget last year when you went ripped off my head when I said there was no way we would draft Kalimba Edwards with the #12 overall pick. Then he proceeded to fall into the second round. :D

Although this year I think the Cards will take Suggs if he is there.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ed, you basically proclaim to be a couch potato sitting around all day Saturday watching college football games. My queston is, if you have such an eye for talent and everyone else....how did you put it...."don't know $hit"....Why hasn't an NFL team locked you up to a long term deal? With your superior football knowledge you could single handedly take the Cardinals to the promise land. I also can't figure out why your opinion is good enough and others are required to "back it up"

I bet you are a football coach, showing all the young kids how to work out, there is no way you are sitting in some office wasting your talents away!

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
no single work out can tell how good suggs will be.
what matters is what he does when placed in front of an o lineman that is standing in the way of a qb he wants to eat for lunch and last i checked he has proven to excel when given that test.
if suggs is available at 6 we would be stupid not to take him.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suggs is the man. If he is not there then take Lefty. If not then Kennedy or Newman. If none of the above...trade down and bank an extra pick or two.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
first, all the arguments presented raising QUESTIONS as to suggs at 6 are salient points. i don't think anyone here actually thinks he's gonna be a bust, but they're questioning whether or not he's worth the 6th selection in the draft.

next, while i agree that on-the-field performance is the most important factor the tests and workouts are done for a reason. if they meant nothing and the scouts' opinions were the only important ingredient the combine and pro-days wouldn't occur. a bad workout combined with being undersized DO raise legit concerns. remember, when you compare suggs to someone like kearse the freak had an outrageous workout. there are just major concerns with suggs. now i'm not saying that he's a bust. i'll repeat that I AM NOT SAYING TERRELL SUGGS IS GONNA BE A BUST. i am saying that there have been other leading sackmasters that have not lived up to their college billing (corey moore, burke, etc.) and that suggs' poor workout does raise some eyebrows. draft leftwich!!!! (but i'll be happy with suggs) but draft leftwich but suggs is okay too wheeEEEEEEEE!

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
Suggs is the man. If he is not there then take Lefty. If not then Kennedy or Newman. If none of the above...trade down and bank an extra pick or two.

The draft rules. Especially this year.
It's one of the best days in sports.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
For the record;

1) I don't think Suggs is going to be a bust.
2) I'm not sure whether or not I'd draft Leftwich at 6 if Suggs was gone.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I would say we draft someone at 6 or trade that pick for something. NOW THAT IS A STONE COLD LOCK!!!!!!!!

Young Gun

rebel without a cause
Reaction score
I really do think that one of the best steps to obtain a good pass rush is to aquire no one other than Suggs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05