The OFFICIAL off-season Suns plan thread!!

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With the season over, its time to start an official off-season thread.... The suns have A LOT of decisions to make over the next 4 months, and so this is my thoughts, and prediciton for the suns this off-season

• I don't believe believe there will be a trade for Garrnet this offseason.
  • I am going to opticmistically believe the suns will get the Atlanta Pick at #5.
Assuming the Celtics have the 2nd pick this is how I think we should attack this off-season.

A.) Call Danny and offer him Marion, Jones, #5 pick, and a future #1 to Boston for Theo Ratliff, Allen Ray and the #2 pick.

B.) The Draft- #2- Kevin Durant, Package #24, #29, and future 2nd for the #17 selection (Nets) draft Acie Law.

C.) use part of MLE on one of the following: Posey, Kapono (my pick), Matt Carroll, or Travis Diener (assuming we don't land Acie Law).

Our lineup for Next year would be:

PG: Nash, Law
SG: Bell, Barbosa
SF: Durant, Posey
PF: Diaw, Amare
C: Amare, KT

With Durant in, I would probably start Diaw, and let him set up Durant and Bell, while Nash and Amare did their thing. our bench of Law, barbosa, Posey and KT, could probably compete for a playoff spot in the east, and most importantly could get Nash's Minutes down to 30-32 a game.

With this lineup our future core of Barbosa, Amare, Durant, and Law is a devestating line-up to think about.

The best part is we get under the salery cap, we get a potential superstar, and a potential all-star PG, all in the same off-season, sounds like a lot, but it CAN be done if the suns are smart about it.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

sharkman

Registered
Reaction score
The League would reject your trade since the salaries aren't within 125% + $100,000.

sharkman

Registered
Reaction score
But it worked in ESPN trade machine....:shrug:

Ratliff will make $11,666,666 next year...Allan Ray $687,456 for a total of $12,354,122.

Marion will make $16,440,000 and Jones $2,904,000 for a total of $19,344,000.

And I tried the trade machine and the trade failed.

Last edited:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
We need defense, shotblocking would be nice. KT is pretty old and gets worn out too easily. I'd like us to get a younger big to replace him if we can't get KG somehow.

sharkman

Registered
Reaction score
The Suns are slated to pay out over $76,000,000 in salaries next year to ten players (well over the luxury tax threshold)...and that doesn't count the draft picks or the free agent signings to get to the full roster.

While Sarver may pay the tax if there was an excellent shot at winning a championship...the last couple of seasons may have him unsure. Without question his long term strategy will be to avoid the tax. Unfortunately, salary dumping won't be easy since few teams will be below the cap (Charlotte is the only one I can think of off the top of my head).

There is another way however...since the trades have to be within 125%...we can do a couple of trades where we shed 20% or so from each deal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some trades involving the Suns. I know there is a thread about Kevin Garnett...(I'd love to have him)...but I just don't see Sarver paying one player almost 50% of the cap ($22,000,000)...especially with Amare's max deal, and Nash's near max deal...not to mention that he can opt out next year....and he's 31 years old.

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Heres another possible scerenio that could happend... with no big trades happending and the suns standing pat..

A.) Draft- #5- Corey Brewer, #24- Tiago Splitter, 29- Sean Williams

Use part MLE on James Posey and go into next year with a line-up and rotation of:

PG: Nash, Diener
SF: Brewer, Diaw, Jones
PF: Marion, Splitter, Williams
C: Amare, KT, Williams

With Brewer in the fold, we would have three top defensive players in our starting lineup, plus Amare. We wouldn't lose anything offensivly since brewer, imo a future star in this league, is deadly when he has his feet set. Bringing barbosa, Diaw, Diener, Splitter, and KT, is as solid of a bench as there is in the league!

If we can't land durant, this is the 2nd best scerenio for the suns IMO

Thoughts?

sharkman

Registered
Reaction score
We need defense, shotblocking would be nice. KT is pretty old and gets worn out too easily. I'd like us to get a younger big to replace him if we can't get KG somehow.

I like D'Antoni and unlike many on here I do think his style can win a championship...the Laker's "showtime" was a wide open style. However...he is going to need to change his substitution patterns.

The Spurs have one franchise player in Duncan...and two very good complimentary players in Ginobili and Parker...the rest are situational role players (Barry, Bowen, Horry, Elson, Finley, Oberto, Vaughn, and Udrih)...who are used depending on the matchups.

If a player isn't good enough to play...we shouldn't sign him...free agent dollars for towel waivers isn't the best use of cap space.

sharkman

Registered
Reaction score
Heres another possible scerenio that could happend... with no big trades happending and the suns standing pat..

A.) Draft- #5- Corey Brewer, #24- Tiago Splitter, 29- Sean Williams

Use part MLE on James Posey and go into next year with a line-up and rotation of:

PG: Nash, Diener
SF: Brewer, Diaw, Jones
PF: Marion, Splitter, Williams
C: Amare, KT, Williams

With Brewer in the fold, we would have three top defensive players in our starting lineup, plus Amare. We wouldn't lose anything offensivly since brewer, imo a future star in this league, is deadly when he has his feet set. Bringing barbosa, Diaw, Diener, Splitter, and KT, is as solid of a bench as there is in the league!

If we can't land durant, this is the 2nd best scerenio for the suns IMO

Thoughts?

The luxury tax threshold is $60 some odd mil...we are scheduled to pay out $76mil for ten players...

...you think that Sarver will shell out another $5.8mil for the MLE...plus another $5+ mil for the draft players...for an $87mil payroll? Counting the dollar for dollar tax, it would be around $120 million for player salaries.

I don't see it happening. If the team is kept intact...odds are we do the old Phoenix trick of trading the picks away to save $$$.

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ratliff will make $11,666,666 next year...Allan Ray $687,456 for a total of $12,354,122.

Marion will make $16,440,000 and Jones $2,904,000 for a total of $19,344,000.

And I tried the trade machine and the trade failed.

even though it would suck, I would do this if it would lamd us Durant

Suns Trade:
Shawn Marion
James Jones
#5 pick

Suns Recieve:
Theo Ratliff
Allen Ray
Brian Scalebrine

We would have to take back a bad contract, but to get a superstar in the league, without giving up your two young blue chip prospects, I think it is more than worth it.

Plus I think many people underestimate just how good of rebounder Durant could be in the NBA. I think in the suns system he could average 8+ rebounds a game, add that to his incredible offensive style (and the fact that he has said publicly his desire to come to phoenix) I would do just about anything to get him in a suns Uniform....

UpTempo

Reaction score
What about a sign and trade for Vince Carter? I think he would do well with the Suns.

Oolong

Reaction score
trade

I say that we trade marion, jones, banks and the Hawks pick to Minnesota for Garnett. We have to be aggressive in our pursuit of him or he will end up with the Lakers. Garnett and Kobe would be tough to beat.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I don't think he'll go to the Lakers for a bust, Odom and a project. Chicago is probably his destination if he wants to leave.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Marion/Jones/#4 to BOS?!?!?!?

As great as that sounds, why the hell would BOS want two more 3's on their roster? They have as many 3's as NYK has 1's - if not more. Talk about a glut of 3's!

If BOS is willing to part with #2, either we'll have to give up LB, or we'll have to find a 3rd team who would help facilitate the trade by giving up Bell, Jones or Banks.

I want Durant on this team like crazy, but it will be hard - probably even harder than Garnett to be honest....

Oolong

Reaction score
trade

If you just wanted Durant, why couldn't they give Marion and the pick to the Celtics for the number 2?

sharkman

Registered
Reaction score
If you just wanted Durant, why couldn't they give Marion and the pick to the Celtics for the number 2?

They're both over the cap so the salaries have to be within 125% + $100,000 for the League to approve the trade.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
if the suns can somehow get Durant in the draft (i dont care if we unload all of our picks for it) that would be awesome!!

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
boston in all odds will not want to give up a shot at a player like durant. secondly, the suns probably arent the team he would wind up at considering that there are other teams who could build a better package than the suns could.

very nice thought though

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
in my plan...

1. Promote Iavaroni, D'Antoni remains GM

2. Select a PF in #5

3. Trade #24 and #29 for money (Timberwolves will buy it?)

4. Trade Diaw and Banks for Jason Williams and Kapono(sign and trade)

5. Make a enquiry for Vujanic

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
my deranged explosion:

1. Trade Marion and Barbosa and the 24th and 28th pick for the number 2 and 32 picks, Ratliff, Scalabrine, and West. We get a stud at #2, a future backup pointguard, a salary dump in Ratliff's expiring contract, and a decent shooting big as a towel waiving upgrade to Marks and Burke. Boston gets Rondo/Pierce/Marion/Jefferson/Perkins starting lineup (not half bad for the east), rids themselves of Scalabrine's contract, a pick in the first round and upgrades their bench with Barbosa (I'm just guessing that Rondo can distribute better than Barbosa so he'd get the start.)

2. Trade Banks to Charlotte with $$$ and any picks owed us (help me out here) and our own for the next year or two for Jake Voskuhl to make some salary coming in and a top-notch towel waiver with an expiring contract.

3. Draft Day: Durant at #2, Horford at #4 (dreaming is free folks), and Koponen at #32. Durant provides boards and points in bunches, Horford provides defense and boards, and Koponen (assuming his workouts go well) gets Euro-stashed like some Alaskan salmon in the deep freeze from your prized annual fishing trip.

4. Pick up Matt Carroll on a cheap 2 year type contract.

So, by position:
OUT / IN
Guards Barbosa, Banks, Rose / West, Koponen, Carroll
SF Marion, Jumaine Jones / Durant
PF/C Marks, Burke / Horford, Scalabrine, Voskuhl, Ratliff

Leaving us
Nash/West
Bell/Carroll/Pike
Durant/JR
KT/Diaw/Horford/Scalabrine
Amare/Ratliff/voskuhl

I'm just throwing this out as a scenario. Already I see we remain rather soft, but offensive firepower wouldn't really be a problem. Theoretically Ratliff can still play. We would be throwing Durant to the wolves while Horford might well be riding pine until he proves himself.

My main reasons for this scenario:
- Marion replaced by Durant so we'd have superior offense, excellent rebounding, and the ability to create a shot at that position.

- Banks, Marion come off the books this coming year, while Ratliff, Voskuhl, KT, and likely Carroll come off the books the year after.

- We would have young talent on rookie contracts from one of the best drafts in years (and having Koponen in Europe, I really am excited to see what he's up to in the predraft festivities).

- Our bigs rotation would be upgraded (in my opinion) by the presence of Horford.

The one (to me at least) glaring flaw: We lose defensive strength in Marion (although overrated at times he's still better than Durant would likely be in his rookie year).

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
Only one thing must be done: Get another coach.

Then trade Marion for anything. With Amare, LB, and Diaw's development, we will have a better chance next season already, in particular if we get something with #4/5 pick.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
my deranged explosion:

1. Trade Marion and Barbosa and the 24th and 28th pick for the number 2 and 32 picks, Ratliff, Scalabrine, and West.

Why not include Diaw and Thomas for Pierce while you're at it?

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Why not include Diaw and Thomas for Pierce while you're at it?

I think my reasoning was well explained, if forever flawed:p Diaw is not trade fodder at this point and Pierce isn't either for different reasons, obviously. Please come up with more imaginative criticism next time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05