BIM in line tonight:

Attachments

• trooperinline1.jpg
    trooperinline1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 166

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'll give my first few impressions right now, and then get some shuteye.

***SOME SPOILERS***

The bad:

1-Emperor's toad face makeup---he's gaunt and wrinkled, and isn't supposed to be BLOATED and wrinkled

2-Dialogue between Padme and Anakin-buy a clue or hire another writer, Lucas

3-Vader yelling 'Nooooo!' when he learns of Padme's death. Wow, not at all a hokey reaction that happens ALL the time :rolleyes:

The good:

1-Lots of good parallel shots, some of shots from the other 3 movies, some of shots in this movie. Best example of the first was when Anakin and Obi Wan start fighting, they pass in front of the window just like when Luke and Darth Vader are fighting. Good example of the other was when they kept flipping from the birth of the twins to the construction of Vader. Good stuff.

2-Hayden's acting skills-while he still didn't quite capture all he could, Hayden Christensen did a pretty damn good job. No more boy-band whiner. He could have done much better, but methinks Lucas held him back---again.

3-Pauses-Lucas FINALLY realized that sometimes you can eliminate really, REALLY bad dialogue and have poignant pauses. Sometimes a silence says more...especially when it's terrible stuff like, 'hold me'. A few really good pauses in this film.

I know I've only listed three for each, but there are so many more. And, thankfully, the good far outweigh the bad :thumbup:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
That was the point of the prequels. To show how someone so innocent and kind could be turned by the darkside into the galaxy's worst villian. It sounds like you kinda maybe missed that point.

I guess I missed that point because I was preoccupied with how bad the last two were. :) In my opinion, it takes real effort to make a bad Star War movie. But they managed to do it. To each his own I guess.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Episode III was a great movie. Not a good movie, a great movie. And of course there will be some that want to rip it apart because, well thats what they do, but that movie, unlike the first two, was extremely satisfying and was one of the best Star wars movies period.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'll probably bet blasted, but I equate Episode III with Episode VI right now, and most of you know that I like Ep VI more than perhaps popular opinion dictates. I want to see III again to determine whether it actually is better than Jedi, but right now, I liken it to THAT ending chapter.

Stout

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'll probably bet blasted, but I equate Episode III with Episode VI right now, and most of you know that I like Ep VI more than perhaps popular opinion dictates. I want to see III again to determine whether it actually is better than Jedi, but right now, I liken it to THAT ending chapter.

I agree that it's right around there, but I also thought Ep VI was the worst of that trilogy. Empire, by far, is the best movie, and Star Wars, as the original, manages second best, IMO. Ep III was quite good, in my estimation. The positives far outweighed the negatives and I enjoyed myself tremendously.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Stout said:
I agree that it's right around there, but I also thought Ep VI was the worst of that trilogy. Empire, by far, is the best movie, and Star Wars, as the original, manages second best, IMO. Ep III was quite good, in my estimation. The positives far outweighed the negatives and I enjoyed myself tremendously.

Nostalgically, Star Wars is also #2 to me, but filmmaking wise, I don't think Star Wars really is that great of a movie. The gap between Empire and Star Wars is much, much bigger than the gap between Jedi and Star Wars.

My whole opinion of Jedi is kinda like my opinion of LOTR: I love all 3, but I think the first is probably the weakest--even though I still love it. As a film, Jedi actually is technically better than Star Wars--it's the story that suffers a little bit as they tried to expand the story a bit and make it more epic, a complete u-turn to the more personal stories of Empire.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never really understood the bashing of Jedi - the beginning is great when the get Solo and kill Jabba the hut - the middle - Luke and Yoda and Yoda dies - good stuff - the stuff on Endor - well, not sooo great - but okay - and then the end all be all Father versus Son showdown with Dad finally getting it and killing the emperor - all interwined with a pretty good space battle.

Was it the emotional classic character piece that Empire was? No - but it's not supposed to be - it's basicaly the third act of a the three act structure - A New Hope was the first act, Empire the second with the ulitmate 2nd act climax and all of Jedi was resolution. The ewoks were a little hokey and Han was dematicated a bit - but it's still a great movie with a classic finish.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I understand that the Ewoks might be too cuddly for some people's tastes, but I thought Richard Marquand did a terrific job putting together the last third of Jedi, cutting through 3 different storylines: Han/Leia on Endor, Luke in the Death Star, Lando in space. Personally, I think that the Endor battle scene was actually very well made, considering they didn't have the effects they have now.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I never really understood the bashing of Jedi - the beginning is great when the get Solo and kill Jabba the hut - the middle - Luke and Yoda and Yoda dies - good stuff - the stuff on Endor - well, not sooo great - but okay - and then the end all be all Father versus Son showdown with Dad finally getting it and killing the emperor - all interwined with a pretty good space battle.

Was it the emotional classic character piece that Empire was? No - but it's not supposed to be - it's basicaly the third act of a the three act structure - A New Hope was the first act, Empire the second with the ulitmate 2nd act climax and all of Jedi was resolution. The ewoks were a little hokey and Han was dematicated a bit - but it's still a great movie with a classic finish.

I think it was because Lucas must've been smoking out with some of his buddies to come up with ideas like this one:

"You know.... I have the greatest idea for how to take down the empire...are you guys ready... get this....you'll never believe..... teddy bears with sticks and arrows!!!!!"

That's the only problem with Return of the Jedi. Otherwise, a fine film.

Now, onto Episode III. Oh my god. I'm going back again tonight to see it when my fiance gets off work. Unbelieveable. This is the first Star Wars movie that literally had me holding back tears. The jedi temple scene with the kids, the violent death of Mace Windu, and the tremendous performances of Ewan MacGregor and Ian MacDairmid. The emotion in this film was perfect, as was the eb and flow of the dialogue. The only rough dialogue in the entire movie, once again spoken by the series' weakest link, were "Hold me like you did on Naboo" and "Anakin, you're breaking my heart". The rest of the dialogue, the body language, and the overall story was A+, top notch.

I still can't get over the Obi Wan / Darth Vader dialogue as Vader lay dying. Obi Wan is in tears and obvious pain, and all Vader can do is throw hatred his way. It was good symmetry as well that Obi Wan cut Vader down the same way he cut down Maul... basically in half.

The irony of the entire episode, IMO, is that through lust and greed, Anakin trying to save Padme is what doomed them both, the Jedi, and the Republic. Truly a tragedy.

My favorite of the 6 films has been and always will be Empire, but this movie stands head and shoulders above the remaining 4. Flame away, but the best movies are the interpersonal ones, and even better the darker they get because the real emotion comes out.

Best lines in the movie:

"You're either with us, or you're with the enemy."

closely followed by:

"Only a Sith deals in such absolutes."

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What are you talking about? The Ewoks don't "Take down the Empire". In fact, out of the 3 storylines, the Endor one is the least important. Luke vs. Vader and the Emperor, Lando destroying the new Death Star. Endor basically was only there so that the landing team could disable the shield around the Death Star. That's it. Do you think that the entire Empire army was on Endor?

In fact, the Empire still very much exists at the end of Jedi, it just is void of top leadership and it's space station.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Wars Midnight Screenings Reap $17M
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
May 19, 2005

20th Century Fox's Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith shattered records out of the gate with an estimated $16.5 million-to-$17 million in receipts from the midnight shows alone, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

"We'll be counting the grosses for a while. It's an absolutely remarkable number. It seems like the industry got kickstarted last night at midnight," said Bruce Snyder, president of domestic distribution for Fox.

Snyder noted that final numbers will not be available for some time because midnight shows are not usually broken out of a single day's gross at the boxoffice.

:jedi:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
What are you talking about? The Ewoks don't "Take down the Empire". In fact, out of the 3 storylines, the Endor one is the least important. Luke vs. Vader and the Emperor, Lando destroying the new Death Star. Endor basically was only there so that the landing team could disable the shield around the Death Star. That's it. Do you think that the entire Empire army was on Endor?

In fact, the Empire still very much exists at the end of Jedi, it just is void of top leadership and it's space station.

Oh I agree to a point... but re-watch Jedi sometime. The Emperor says "A legion of my best troops awaits your friends on the Endor Moon" to Luke in the throne room. That means, that the Ewoks, with sticks and arrows took down the Empire's best warriors. Come on, you've got to admit that's really stretching it, no?

... and I know all about the Remnant of the Empire, they make for good EU fodder :thumbup:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i will have to see this in the theatres... i have never seen a star wars in a theater. just at home when i did that star wars marathon back a few months ago.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Oh I agree to a point... but re-watch Jedi sometime. The Emperor says "A legion of my best troops awaits your friends on the Endor Moon" to Luke in the throne room. That means, that the Ewoks, with sticks and arrows took down the Empire's best warriors. Come on, you've got to admit that's really stretching it, no?

... and I know all about the Remnant of the Empire, they make for good EU fodder :thumbup:

Of course, Chewbacca taking over an AT-ST Walker also helps. :D

I also think that the Ewoks outnumbered the legion, and I think there was a little bit of a moral in it with these troops that were outfitted in the best gear and technologically superior weaponry getting taken down by a bunch of poorly equipped teddy bears. :p Actually sounds like Afghanistan vs. Russia in the 80s! :D

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I also think that the Ewoks outnumbered the legion, and I think there was a little bit of a moral in it with these troops that were outfitted in the best gear and technologically superior weaponry getting taken down by a bunch of poorly equipped teddy bears.

I watched the Empire of Dreams documentary recently, and they talk quite a bit about that, actually. Did you know the main Ewok in that movie was the guy who played Willow?! Amazing!

To be honest, I love Return of the Jedi, it's just that the whole Ewok thing always bothered me. The moral is cool, though, very cool.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
the main Ewok

Wicket, played by Warwick Davis.

He's also in Ep I as an extra at the pod race.

And he's Marvin in Hitchhiker's Guide...

:cool:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
vince56 said:
I think it was because Lucas must've been smoking out with some of his buddies to come up with ideas like this one:

"You know.... I have the greatest idea for how to take down the empire...are you guys ready... get this....you'll never believe..... teddy bears with sticks and arrows!!!!!"

That's the only problem with Return of the Jedi. Otherwise, a fine film.

You do know those characters were meant to attract KIDS to the movies. The storyline is a bit much for a youngster but he tried to make it so that it was likeable for everyone not just for adults who like sci-fi movies.

I don't know why people don't understand this ... there was a reason that he made all but one of the movies PG. If he would've wanted to just be for adults and teenagers, he would've made it more graphic and appeal to just them.

Was that part of the storyline a bit over the top? Of course but its a movie and since when do we account for how good movies are based on how real it is? Sheesh ... some people just need to let it go

Now, onto Episode III. Oh my god. I'm going back again tonight to see it when my fiance gets off work. Unbelieveable. This is the first Star Wars movie that literally had me holding back tears. The jedi temple scene with the kids, the violent death of Mace Windu, and the tremendous performances of Ewan MacGregor and Ian MacDairmid. The emotion in this film was perfect, as was the eb and flow of the dialogue. The only rough dialogue in the entire movie, once again spoken by the series' weakest link, were "Hold me like you did on Naboo" and "Anakin, you're breaking my heart". The rest of the dialogue, the body language, and the overall story was A+, top notch.

I still can't get over the Obi Wan / Darth Vader dialogue as Vader lay dying. Obi Wan is in tears and obvious pain, and all Vader can do is throw hatred his way. It was good symmetry as well that Obi Wan cut Vader down the same way he cut down Maul... basically in half.

The irony of the entire episode, IMO, is that through lust and greed, Anakin trying to save Padme is what doomed them both, the Jedi, and the Republic. Truly a tragedy.

My favorite of the 6 films has been and always will be Empire, but this movie stands head and shoulders above the remaining 4. Flame away, but the best movies are the interpersonal ones, and even better the darker they get because the real emotion comes out.

Best lines in the movie:

"You're either with us, or you're with the enemy."

closely followed by:

"Only a Sith deals in such absolutes."

Agreed on all accounts. The storyline was solid, the dialogue was good enough (George Lucas can't write a romantic scene to save his life), and there was plenty of action throughout (all done very well BTW). Not to mention some damn good comedic parts.

This reminds you of the magic that the original trilogy had. Som much for me in fact that I haven't been able to stop humming the theme song since I've seen the movie.

2 thumbs up from me for this one :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Another thing I don't like about the whole prequel trilogy is how advanced everything seems compared to the original trilogy. Luckily, he tempered that with all the space vehicles looking like they COULD evolve into the ships we saw in Ep 4. I ESPECIALLY loved Bail Organa's ship--the exact replica of the ship Princess Leia is captured by Darth Vader on.

But Artoo flying? :shrug:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Was that part of the storyline a bit over the top? Of course but its a movie and since when do we account for how good movies are based on how real it is? Sheesh ... some people just need to let it go

lol, yeah. Death Star, Darth Vader, the force, wookies, etc...all reallistic. Ewoks beating the storm troopers, no way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Assface said:
lol, yeah. Death Star, Darth Vader, the force, wookies, etc...all reallistic.

My neighbor's a wookie, and it takes him like 4 hours to dry off after a shower. Luckily, though, Darth Vader works down the street at my mechanic--I get an oil change in like 5 minutes! :p

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
My neighbor's a wookie, and it takes him like 4 hours to dry off after a shower. Luckily, though, Darth Vader works down the street at my mechanic--I get an oil change in like 5 minutes! :p

:lmao:

Stout

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Nostalgically, Star Wars is also #2 to me, but filmmaking wise, I don't think Star Wars really is that great of a movie. The gap between Empire and Star Wars is much, much bigger than the gap between Jedi and Star Wars.

My whole opinion of Jedi is kinda like my opinion of LOTR: I love all 3, but I think the first is probably the weakest--even though I still love it. As a film, Jedi actually is technically better than Star Wars--it's the story that suffers a little bit as they tried to expand the story a bit and make it more epic, a complete u-turn to the more personal stories of Empire.

And here I felt LOTR #1 was the best. With the 3rd being second and the 2nd absolutely last.

I dunno. It's all relative.