The Official Star Wars Episode III thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Another thing I don't like about the whole prequel trilogy is how advanced everything seems compared to the original trilogy.

My sentiment exactly. They each got better, but why did he have to put in too much technology just because it's available? That was part of the charm of the old movies.

DS

Ladies Man
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
i will have to see this in the theatres... i have never seen a star wars in a theater. just at home when i did that star wars marathon back a few months ago.

Hey I need a movie theater bud!

How about it? I'll buy the tix and you supply the popcorn? :D

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
************* said:
Hey I need a movie theater bud!

How about it? I'll buy the tix and you supply the popcorn? :D

Sorry but I've already got an internet stalker lined up for this.

Maybe next time!!

Djaughe

Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Sorry but I've already got an internet stalker lined up for this.

Maybe next time!!

Waiting for assface response...

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
Waiting for assface response...

Hah, I won't be baited in to replying just because you posted this. Oh..wait...

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
here is an article I found that best describes how I felt about the film......there are some spoilers

Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Jonathan L. Bowen

With the Clone Wars finally nearing an end as Republic forces throughout the galaxy engage the Separatist armies led by Count Dooku (Christopher Lee) and General Grievous (voiced by Matthew Wood), the promised peace at the end of the war comes at a great price. The Jedi Council, led by Master Windu (Samuel L. Jackson) and Master Yoda (voiced by Frank Oz), suspects that Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) has sinister plans because of his continuing growth of power, through emergency resolutions pushed through the Galactic Senate during war time. Ambitious and powerful young Jedi Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen), the student of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), yearns for more power and grows increasingly frustrated with the mistrust of the Jedi Council. Worse yet, he begins having nightmares about his secret wife, Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman), dying during childbirth, which drives his journey towards the dark side that ultimately leads to the revenge of the Sith.

Revenge of the Sith is a devastating film that makes The Empire Strikes Back look like a comedy. In the darkest film of the Original Trilogy (or “The Holy Trilogy” to Star Wars fans), Luke learns Darth Vader is his father, loses an arm, Han is frozen in carbonite, and the Rebel Alliance loses a battle. Compared to Revenge of the Sith, the events in The Empire Strikes Back seem about as tragic as losing opening day tickets to Gigli. After all, no major characters die, the Rebel Alliance is not completely wiped out, and by now everyone knows that all is well at the end of Return of the Jedi. Unfortunately, for many characters viewers have come to know and admire throughout the prequels, Revenge of the Sith is their tragic ending.

Since 1977, viewers have known the Jedi all die, except for Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi, but watching the tragedy unfold is devastating, sad, and depressing. Fortunately, it also leads to a few of the most powerful moments in any Star Wars film, and thus cinema as a whole. The facial expressions that Yoda has at a few key moments in the film are incredible. The animators at ILM, George Lucas’s effects company, have done such a remarkable job on the digital Yoda that his facial expressions alone are enough to make any hardcore fan want to cry. As the events unfold and the Republic he has protected for hundreds of years begins to crumble, Yoda expresses his sadness without speaking, which is a real strength of the film; much of the film’s emotional depth is expressed through expressions and actions, not through dialogue.

Star Wars movies have always taken a lot of criticisms for their dialogue, which I admit to being completely unable to understand. I review several hundred films per year and am quite aware of bad dialogue when I hear it, but the supposedly “awful” dialogue present in all of the Star Wars films certainly is not present when I see them, at least. Nonetheless, Attack of the Clones contained some intentionally awkward lines from Anakin that were meant to convey his lack of maturity and experience with relationships, none of which is present in Revenge of the Sith. The first thirty minutes of the film in fact may be the funniest segment of the entire prequel trilogy. The dialogue, which deserves a detailed examination, really comes together well in the final prequel. The rest of the review will contain detailed spoilers of the film’s plot, so readers looking to go into the final movie unspoiled should stop reading now.

When Obi-Wan kills General Grievous with a blaster, he quickly remarks to himself how the blaster is such an uncivilized weapon, which is funny because it ties in well with his line in A New Hope when he calls a lightsaber “an elegant weapon for a more civilized age” and remarks how lightsabers are not as “clumsy or as random as a blaster.” An exchange of dialogue early in the film has Obi-Wan recommending that he and Anakin take Count Dooku together, to which Anakin agrees, which is of course a reference to Attack of the Clones and the arm that Anakin lost trying to defeat Dooku alone. Dooku has his own comeback line for Anakin after the young Jedi starts boasting of his powers. Dooku tells him, “Twice the pride, double the fall. I have looked forward to this, Skywalker.”

One surprise of Revenge of the Sith is the abilities of R2-D2, who is even more resourceful and able than usual. R2 is particularly feisty, but he also has a keen sense of what is happening around him, which might make viewers wonder if his unusual behavior throughout the Original Trilogy is partially because he, unlike C-3PO who has his memory wiped at the end of Episode III, knows the history of all of the events in the Skywalker family. Unlike in Attack of the Clones, where he provided quite a bit of comic relief, C-3PO really does not have much of a role in Revenge of the Sith.

For me, one of the most devastating, sad scenes of Revenge of the Sith comes at the end of the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan, where Obi-Wan tells Anakin he loved him like a brother. Watching the two Jedi, who were such close friends throughout the Prequel Trilogy, fight until Anakin is horribly disfigured is very sad and disturbing. The impact is increased by the fact that Anakin followed the path to the Dark Side to save Padme, because he thought she would die during childbirth, but by the end of the film she has forsaken him and Obi-Wan, who Anakin says was like a father to him (in Attack of the Clones), has defeated him in combat and left him a hideous monster.

Lucas has accomplished quite an amazing task in Revenge of the Sith because Darth Vader becomes such a horrible villain that sympathy for him would seem to be difficult to elicit. Even in the course of the film, he commits terrible acts, yet somehow I felt sorry for him nonetheless. Instead of rooting against him in the fight with Obi-Wan, I felt tragically torn and wished that the movie did not have to end in such a sad fashion. Although everyone knows how the story ends, Lucas makes audiences wish that somehow Yoda could just kill Palpatine, Anakin and Obi-Wan could shake hands, and the galaxy could be saved. But the story is set.

Revenge of the Sith, and the Star Wars mythos as a whole, has a lot to say about life and the actions that people take. The Jedi way is one of serenity and calmness in the face of inevitable tragedies, but the Sith way wants to intervene, control, and possess. The Jedi are a mix between stoic sages and Taoist philosophers. They understand that death comes to everyone, and sometimes at inconvenient, tragic times. Anakin cannot accept death. Attack of the Clones proves extremely important in Anakin’s turn towards the Dark Side because of the feelings he has about losing his mother. Anakin is powerful beyond imagination, and beyond his maturity to handle such power, so when he loses his mother, he feels a complete lack of control that he finds intolerable. When he thinks that Padme is going to die, too, he will not accept her fate, but must intervene to stop it because he never wants to feel out of control again.

Anakin actually falls prey to a self-fulfilling prophecy. By becoming obsessed with a vision he has, which is a vision that does not necessarily have to come to fruition, he makes his nightmare occur. His lust for power and control decides his fate, not some pre-determined vision. The message Lucas delivers is clear: Yearning for too much power and control, beyond the realm that any person can reasonably possess, leads to grave tragedy. The Jedi way is not one of passiveness or laziness, but rather decisive action based on the realm of present controllable factors. In The Empire Strikes Back, for instance, Yoda tells Luke not to leave Dagobah because the fate of his friends is not decided, but instead of focusing on the moment, which is the Jedi way, Luke jumps to conclusions and rushes into action. Now we see why Yoda is concerned about Luke’s departure; he has seen a promising young Jedi try to prevent the future from happening already and the results were disastrous. The little connections between Revenge of the Sith and the other Star Wars films are numerous and rich, which makes the final prequel fit into the Saga like a beautiful missing puzzle piece.

Readers will want some sort of bottom line about Revenge of the Sith, which I am prepared to deliver. For any Star Wars fan who has followed the movies for many years, the third prequel will be tragically sad, but powerfully emotional and brilliant. Watching as Lucas ties the film together with not only the Original Trilogy but the first two prequels is an absolute delight. Revenge of the Sith is nothing short of a masterpiece. Looking at the entire six part story, what Lucas has accomplished is forever going to be remembered as one of the greatest epics ever conceived for cinema screens. Watching the credits roll on the final Star Wars film brings mixed emotions. I am excited that Lucas has created such an unbelievably powerful, moving film to end the Saga, but I am sad that I cannot begin counting down the days until the next Star Wars film. As long as the movies continue to entertain and delight audiences worldwide, which I suspect will be indefinitely, the Force will be with us all… always.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Some of his points are valid, but his qualifications of "reviewing hundreds of movies" hardly makes him right when he sees no problem with the dialog.

Nonetheless, Attack of the Clones contained some intentionally awkward lines from Anakin that were meant to convey his lack of maturity and experience with relationships, none of which is present in Revenge of the Sith.

Is he kidding? Take the two love scenes in II and III and neither is better than the other--they are all horrible. The only difference is that in III, the lines are delivered a lot better. They're still bad.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think his assesment of the tragic nature of Anakin's conversion is dead on. I think this movie almost makes you feel sorry for the guy. When Luke says "there is still good in you" it gives it a whole new meaning. It was the type of movie that you did want everything to work out and it didnt. It makes you kind of pity Vader now as opposed to thinking he's some sort of badass. I loved episode III. That may have been the best of the six in my opinion.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
My neighbor's a wookie, and it takes him like 4 hours to dry off after a shower. Luckily, though, Darth Vader works down the street at my mechanic--I get an oil change in like 5 minutes! :p
Damn! That was funny!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Good show. I kept hoping it might turn out different. :D

I am going to have to go back and listen to some of the dialog in the OT now.

I thought Leia said in ROTJ that she remembered her mother. :confused:

SPOILERS:

I guess we know know why they never went looking for the kids. They thought Padme and the baby were dead.

Great scene between OWK and Anakin when Kenobi is leaving to face General Grevious. I had a feeling at the time it was thier last meeting as friends and allies.

I couldn't help but think as Anakin was pledging to Palpatine "Would you follow a guy that looked like that?" LOL

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got back from the theater and I thought this one was way better than the first two. I thought Hayden did a very good job, especially compared to episode II. I agree that the love scenes were week and I thought that Padme's character lacked something, but I suppose Lucas had a lot to cram in there and, since she was gonna die anyway, there really wasn't any point in it.

It bothered me that Padme used to come across as such a strong woman in the first two episodes and in this one she seemed so, well, lame. Perhaps that's just the opinion of me, a rather independent woman myself.

I was pleasantly surprised that Lucas was able to get to all the loose ends in this movie. Now I wanna go home and watch episode 4!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Wars Breaks Box Office Records
Source: ComingSoon.net
May 20, 2005

While Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith was expected to have a big opening, no one expected it to be this big - - George Lucas' third and final prequel in the "Star Wars" saga earned an incredible $50 million from 3,661 theaters on Thursday alone. That's an average of $13,661 per location for just one day.

The $50 million opening, which includes $16.9 million from midnight screenings, blows away the $40.4 million opening day record held previously by Spider-Man 2 from 4,152 theaters, and it also marks the biggest single day at the North American box office ever, beating Shrek 2's $44.8 million from 4,163 theaters.

Released by 20th Century Fox, "Revenge of the Sith" was produced for about $113 million. Stay tuned for more box office updates.

:jedi:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
$50 million in one day??? OMFG

WOW. All they had to do was flash Darth Vader in the previews and you knew everyone INCLUDING THE HATERS would be bum-rushing their way to the theaters - DAMNIT! I WANT TO SEE THIS AND WON'T UNTIUL SUNDAY!!!!!

what's even more impressive is it flew past both Spidey and Shrek 2 on 500 less theaters. This movie - if it's as good - or even decent as you guys say it is - may find itself just crushing the competition for a relatively weak Summer of movies(IMO).

I'm saying it makes 350 - easy. Hell - I want to see it a second time and haven't even seen it once yet!

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen Shrek 2. But if a Stars Wars movie doesn't make more than a Shrek movie, something is wrong somewhere. Right?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
I haven't seen Shrek 2. But if a Stars Wars movie doesn't make more than a Shrek movie, something is wrong somewhere. Right?

kids movie - especially good kids movies (which Shrek 2 was) make a TON of cashola.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw it. A couple of things...

1. I liked it. Not loved it, but I liked it quite a bit.

2. I know fans are clamoring for it, but this movie seemed so much more complex than the original. I think this is what kept me from loving it. The first star wars seemed so pure, with such diliniation between good and evil...and, while it's still appearent who's good and who's bad (especially after the "incident" at the Jedi Temple), the lines were blurred much more in this one, IMO.

3. Stout is right, the "NOOOOOOOOO!" moment was really cheesy.

4. The best actor in this second sortie of SW movies is by far Ewan McGregor. He's really good. :thumbup:

5. I think they did just an okay job of showing Anikan/Vader slipping into insanity but I would have liked to have seen more "wow--he's really going over the deep end" moments as the film progressed.

6. This was the best handling of Yoda I've seen since Empire Strikes Back. His fight scenes were WAY more beliveable to me than in the last one when it looked like they were trying to make Yoda "hip." The scene when he comes into the Emporer's chamber and smashes the guards against the wall with the Force was friggin great.

And, I'll leave you Star Wars nerds with a question: I know there are all sorts of Star Wars books that have been out for a long time...had Episodes 1-3 already been published prior to the release of the movies.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Illegal 'Sith' Copies Leaked Online
Thu, May 19, 2005
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) -

Anakin Skywalker isn't the only one succumbing to the Dark Side. It seems that unscrupulous pirates have leaked a copy of "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" online to be downloaded by fans who didn't have the dedication to wait in line at theaters.

Two copies of the final film in George Lucas' space saga were found on the BitTorrent file-sharing network mere hours after "Sith" opened worldwide during the wee hours of Thursday (May 19), reports Reuters.

One earlier time-stamped copy of the film was available on Wednesday before the film was released, causing speculation that an industry insider leaked the print instead going the other route, camcording it in a theater.

The Motion Picture Association of America has made numerous efforts to curtail piracy, including monitoring "tracker" websites that link people to downloadable copyrighted material at BitTorrent and other high-speed file-sharing networks. As of early Thursday afternoon, more than 16,000 people have downloaded "Sith" from BitTorrent.

The MPAA claims that illegal copies of newly released films cause studios to lose an estimated $3 billion to pirates annually. Recently, President George W. Bush signed a bill that will mean fines, lawsuits and possible jail time for people camcording theatrical films or those who leak copyrighted materials online.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Pariah said:
And, I'll leave you Star Wars nerds with a question: I know there are all sorts of Star Wars books that have been out for a long time...had Episodes 1-3 already been published prior to the release of the movies.

I don't think so. Before Lucas wrote the screenplay it didn't exist except in his mind.

Most of the books (that I know of) took place after ROTJ.