OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From StarWars.com -

An ancient order of Force-practitioners devoted to the dark side and determined to destroy the Jedi, the Sith were a menace long thought extinct. The current incarnation of the Sith is the result of a rogue Jedi dissident from the order. Two thousand years ago, this Jedi had come to the understanding that the true power of the Force lay not through contemplation and passivity. Only by tapping its dark side could its true potential be gained. The Jedi Council at the time balked at this new direction. The Dark Jedi was outcast, but he eventually gained followers to his new order. Awakening beliefs from the dark past, the new Sith cult continued to grow. With the promise of new powers attainable by tapping into the hateful energies of the dark side, it was only a matter of time before the order self-destructed. Internecine struggle by power-hungry Sith practioners dwindled their numbers.

One Sith had the cunning to survive. Darth Bane restructured the cult, so that there could only be two -- no more, no less -- a master, and an apprentice. Bane adopted cunning, subterfuge, and stealth as the fundamental tenets of the Sith order. Bane took an apprentice. When that apprentice succeeded him, that new Sith Lord would take an apprentice.

Thus, the Sith quietly continued for centuries, until the time of Darth Sidious and his apprentice, Darth Maul. By that time, the galaxy at large had believed the Sith to be extinct, a fabled threat from the past. Qui-Gon Jinn's report of a Sith attack on Tatooine was met by the Jedi Council with hesitation and skepticism. Surely if the Sith had returned, the Jedi would have detected it, they reasoned.

The dark side, for all its power, is ultimately hard to detect when required. A shadowy master like Darth Sidious was able to keep his presence a secret, even when sharing a world with the Jedi Temple.

With the death of Darth Maul at Naboo, the Jedi Council realized that the Sith menace was true. What they hadn't puzzled was whether Maul was the master, or the apprentice. Years would pass before the Sith menace arose once more, a menace that would eventually come to engulf the entire galaxy.

---------------------------------------------

Basically, the Sith started from a Jedi who embraced the dark side and was cast out. The Sith grew in number but then dwindled due to infighting (power struggles, etc) and battles against the Jedi. The Sith were thought to be extinct, but instead were living by the rule of two, waiting for their moment to extract their revenge on the Jedi.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI: DVD News

George Lucas has indicated that he expects the Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith DVD to be released at Christmas time this year (2005). Lucas made the comment in an interview with MTV.com, which reported that the DVD will offer five or six deleted scenes. Rick McCallum (producer) told the website: "They were great scenes, but they just had nothing to do with getting straight and cutting to the chase of the story. They were more plot-orientated and more setting up of Coruscant, more setting up of the war and kind of understanding where all the politics were."

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Watched Star Wars, think I may have seen Empire Strikes Back... And it ended there for me... Long report this weekend on the phenomenon and Lucas has sold 6 Billion in goods, not related to actual ticket sales, DVD or movie related income... AMAZING...

The Quilt
:jedi:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
I sort of think Return of the Jedi means that they are once again back in control of things...the Sith are gone.

I agree with you, but I never thought the Sith were "gone", just their leaders. I mean, the Ewoks didn't destroy the entire Imperial Army! :D

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I agree with you, but I never thought the Sith were "gone", just their leaders. I mean, the Ewoks didn't destroy the entire Imperial Army! :D

Well, the Sith are gone, but there are remnants of the Empire still around. Two different animals altogether.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Stout said:
Well, the Sith are gone, but there are remnants of the Empire still around. Two different animals altogether.

The question is what do you consider the Sith? Are the Sith basically just Darth Vader and Darth Sidious? Or do the "Sith" encompass all the StormTroopers? Was Peter Cushing considered a Sith? I would argue that he was.

Hate to bring up a video game, but in Knights of the Old Republic, the Sith were an entire group of people, not just dark Jedis.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
The question is what do you consider the Sith? Are the Sith basically just Darth Vader and Darth Sidious? Or do the "Sith" encompass all the StormTroopers? Was Peter Cushing considered a Sith? I would argue that he was.
In Episode IV, Grand Moff Tarkin (Peter Cushing) tells Vader, basically, that he is all that's left of the Jedi "religion". To me, that would imply that the Empire and the Sith/Jedi are seperate entities.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

The Sith are like Jedi's...when the Emperor and Vader are dead, as far as we know it, there are no Sith anymore.

Sure, the empire is still there...but no Sith.

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
The Sith are like Jedi's...when the Emperor and Vader are dead, as far as we know it, there are no Sith anymore.

Sure, the empire is still there...but no Sith.

Mike

And again, I point to KOTOR, where there were tons of "Sith", most of which did NOT have force powers.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Powerful, moving, most excellent movie..... Visually so stunning that it was sometimes difficult to comprehend everything you were seeing. I will see it again and I will own it. I thought Jonathan Bowen's review was very much on target.

IMHO, none of the six films were bad..... But only 2 were great; this one and the Empire Strikes Back. Clearly, some are better than others and some had powerful moments (I think of the battle/exchange between Vader and Luke under the platform in ROTJ where Vader is saying ".... if you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will.").

Show me a movie you think is perfect and I'll show you that it isn't. Look gang... None of the SWs movies are The Sound of Music or Macbeth, and they're not supposed to be. The styling was supposed to be modeled after Saturday movie serials, as I recall. Anyway, the bald guy here votes for Episode 3 as the overall best of the six. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: out of 5

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
And again, I point to KOTOR, where there were tons of "Sith", most of which did NOT have force powers.

That was the Sith army. What you're forgetting Chaplin is that takes place 4,000 years before the Galactic Empire. 4,000 years. Tons of history. The Sith were an army led by a small group of Sith Lords (think Revan and Malak, then in KOTOR II, Darth Traya, Sion, and Nihilus). Those "sith armies" will be completely eradicated either in Kotor III or the following years after. The sith stay in the sight of the republic until roughly 1000 years before the Galactic Empire (reference Jedi Master Ki-Adi Mundi in The Phantom Menace, "The Sith have been extinct for a millenium."). At that time, they decided to wait in the shadows, following the rule of two; a master and an apprentice.

The Sith of Episodes IV, V, and VI are Darth Sidious and Darth Vader, make no mistake about it. They are SITH LORDS and the head of the Galactic Empire, not the Sith Army. Big difference. They are darkside users (Sith) first, military leaders second. Heck, I don't think the generals of the empire even know they are sith. I'm paraphrasing, but one general in ANH says something like this to Vader in regards to the Jedi: "Their glimmer has gone from the galaxy, you are all that's left of their dying religion." Does he even know the Emperor is a force user? Interesting stuff.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Hate to bring up a video game, but in Knights of the Old Republic, the Sith were an entire group of people, not just dark Jedis.

Sorry, but you're way off base. Are the ewoks jedi? What about Wedge and Biggs? If not, then the storm troopers and Grand Moff Tarkin aren't sith either.

I guess Vince knows the history, and cleared up your confusion, hopefully, but assuming everyone that's part of the Empire is a Sith lord is an incorrect leap in logic.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
found this online and thought it was histerical... :D

You must be registered for see images

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/sith15.htm

Name Change
In early drafts of the Star Wars script the Emperor was named Cos Dashit (I'm not kidding). Dashit ruled from the Imperial throne world of Alderaan. In later drafts, he was simply referred to as the Emperor.

I wonder if his middle name is He's ... why does he rule, Cos He's Dashit!!

:biglaugh:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Episode III Earns Record $158.5M in 4 Days
Source: Box Office Mojo
May 23, 2005

George Lucas' Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith earned an estimated $108.5 million over the three day weekend, which is the second-best opening weekend of all-time, surpassing Shrek 2's $108 million (if estimates hold) and trailing just Spider-Man 2's $114.8 million. The third and final prequel, budgeted at about $113 million, pulled in $158.5 million in its first four days, easily beating The Matrix Reloaded's $134.3 million for the four-day record.

The Fox release also has the third-biggest Saturday ever with $40.9 million, behind Shrek 2 ($44.8 million) and Spider-Man ($43.6 million). It marks the second-best opening for a movie in May, trailing only Spider-Man's $114.8 million from May, 2002. On Thursday, "Revenge of the Sith" already claimed the top opening day and single day records with $50 million. The film tied Spider-Man and The Matrix Reloaded for the fastest movies to cross the $100 million mark in three days.

Released day-and-date by 20th Century Fox in 115 countries, "Sith" has already taken in $303 million worldwide.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the thoughts of someone who LOVED the OT and thought the prequels up until this point were beyond awful pieces of absolute crap - it was good. That's saying A TON to me - was it great? No - did it have some REALLY nice moments? Yes. The most important thing to me is I believed for the first time that Anakin could become Darth Vader and even though I thought the switched was flipped rather abruptly, I bought WHY ultimately he would do it so I won't nitpick there. It just felt so much more of a movie - a good movie - a good action movie - just from the beginning. No more scrawls about TAXES or Imperial Senate Votes - this was finally STAR WARS. It wasn't as good as any of the OT IMO - but it wiped the floor with the first two prequels. In fact, if I ever have kids, I'll sit them down and make them watch the OT and then skip right to Sith - why? Bceause ultimately - who gives a crap as to how Palpatine gets to where he gets to? Is it a somewhat interesting ploy by him? Yeah - it is, but I don't need to see 2 movies worth of it - nor do I need to see Count Dooku - who is pretty worthless, nor Darth Maul who is REALLY worthless, nor Qui Gon nor the cardboard cutout of Sam Jackson.

My only real complaint was this - SPOILER********* - The Jedis just go donw like a sack of potatoes - aren't they supposed to be able to feel something amidst - shouldn't the force have allowed at east ONE of them not to be shot in the freaking back by a bunch of CGI stormtroopers? Well - that and (I might be wrong here) but didn't Obi-One tell Luke that Vader hunted down and killed ALL the Jedi? When in reality - all he did was kill a bunch of kids and the stormtroopers did the rest of the dirty work.

But - I walked out happy - I got chills in some places - liked the links made between the two movies and basically finally got what I wanted to see.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
didn't Obi-Wan tell Luke that Vader hunted down and killed ALL the Jedi?

Luke: How did my father die?

Obi-Wan: A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights. He betrayed and murdered your father.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Luke: How did my father die?

Obi-Wan: A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights. He betrayed and murdered your father.

ah - okay - that makes sense and lessens my criticism - BIM - have you seen it yet?

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Episode III Earns Record $158.5M in 4 Days
Source: Box Office Mojo
May 23, 2005

George Lucas' Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith earned an estimated $108.5 million over the three day weekend, which is the second-best opening weekend of all-time, surpassing Shrek 2's $108 million (if estimates hold) and trailing just Spider-Man 2's $114.8 million. The third and final prequel, budgeted at about $113 million, pulled in $158.5 million in its first four days, easily beating The Matrix Reloaded's $134.3 million for the four-day record.

The Fox release also has the third-biggest Saturday ever with $40.9 million, behind Shrek 2 ($44.8 million) and Spider-Man ($43.6 million). It marks the second-best opening for a movie in May, trailing only Spider-Man's $114.8 million from May, 2002. On Thursday, "Revenge of the Sith" already claimed the top opening day and single day records with $50 million. The film tied Spider-Man and The Matrix Reloaded for the fastest movies to cross the $100 million mark in three days.

Released day-and-date by 20th Century Fox in 115 countries, "Sith" has already taken in $303 million worldwide.

Dollars are up but ticket sales were down... This was the highest price per ticket face value of a Lucas Release... Dollars are coming in but the sales have not reached what they expected, not even matching some takes for movies a few years old that has lesser face values. They are estimating that ticket sales are down 10% from last years blockbusters and even more than that for the last 5...

I am kind of surprised, especially due to all the hype... With the individual cost at it's highest and this being the final episode released, I really expected it to shatter some records.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Translation: single :D

:runstohidefromjerseygirl:

BIM

Why you little ... :)

I'm not independent because I am single ... I am single because I am independent. :D

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheese,

I agree with you on showing the movies to my kids someday.

It will definitely be the original trilogy first, then we watch this one. That is, unless my kids want to watch them all...

But for myself, I will watch them that way I think...the first two new ones just plain suck and don't do much for the story.

Mike