The Official US Soccer thread

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
on a crap team in a crap division

Nils Petersen also scored nearly 30 goals in 2nd division in Germany which is considered the strongest 2nd division in Europe, he is 3 years younger than Ross and has moved from Bayern to Bremen in the meantime and plays first division and is rated 4.500.000. So I'd say Ross is in line with that.
Also he is not a regular for Scotland and the players infront of him are rated barely higher.

If the offers for Ross McCormack are confirmed than he will likely be uprated after the world cup.

Rated the best 2nd division by you.

The offers for Ross were already made. Leeds made it clear were not selling.

Another amazing one I just saw. Andy Carroll is apparently still worth about £15m. Not entirely sure why. Whilst Jon Flanagan is worth less than £1m. Hmmmm

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Flanagan played his first season, before he was a youth player.

His market value will obviously rise after the world cup when the new values will be released.

And of course Andy Carroll is still worth that, he just transfered a year ago for 17.500.000 Euros to West Ham.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Shrewd business move! I assume the MU fans went crazy when he was sold?

Uh no, not really.

Bayern could have sold Franck Ribery for 82.000.000 to Real Madrid a few years ago but declined.
Bayern does not care about how much profit they make, they have no depth, they always generate a profit not needing to sell players, they want to win titles not make money.

Manchester United is a little different since they are on the stock market and owned by the Tampa Bay Bucs owner but their fans were not happy about Ronaldo leaving.

First of all you have to pay taxes on the transfer before you can make a profit from it and 2nd its hard to get value replacements when everyone knows you just got 90 million in your transfer budget.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Switzerland is the last team that beat Spain in a competition for example?

They also beat Brazil this season.

Spain result was 4 years ago. Switzerland have lost to the mighty Wales more recently than that. In fact, the US beat Spain just a year before Switzerland did.

The US beat Germany and Italy in the last couple of years. I guess that means they're better than them?

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Flanagan played his first season, before he was a youth player.

His market value will obviously rise after the world cup when the new values will be released.

And of course Andy Carroll is still worth that, he just transfered a year ago for 17.500.000 Euros to West Ham.

My point exactly. It just goes by whatever a team pays. If you have watched Andy Carroll at all, you'd know he wasn't worth that. He couldn't get the goals McCormack could in that crap division, yet Ross isn't worth anything near that according to you.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Spain result was 4 years ago. Switzerland have lost to the mighty Wales more recently than that. In fact, the US beat Spain just a year before Switzerland did.

The US beat Germany and Italy in the last couple of years. I guess that means they're better than them?

Except that Germany played with a 3rd string team.

We will talk again if the USA beats a worthy team in a game that is not a friendly match.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Except that Germany played with a 3rd string team.

We will talk again if the USA beats a worthy team in a game that is not a friendly match.

If you don't like friendly results then don't thrown in the Switzerland v Brazil game. Did Italy also drop all their players. You were probably finding a way to belittle the US team in 2002 as well. Even though it took cheating to see Germany through to the quarters.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
By the by. I think it will be unlikely the US gets out of the group. It's the hardest group there. I'm also not trying to say they're better than Switzerland or Croatia. Just that they're in a large group of teams that could all beat each other depending on the day.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
By the by. I think it will be unlikely the US gets out of the group. It's the hardest group there. I'm also not trying to say they're better than Switzerland or Croatia. Just that they're in a large group of teams that could all beat each other depending on the day.

Uruguay Italy England and Costa Rica is a tougher group. England is better than US hands down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bradley is poised to be the talisman. You can't miss him. Great big shiny head. Dempsey has all the talent, just rarely uses it all.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Uruguay Italy England and Costa Rica is a tougher group. England is better than US hands down.

Who the hell said they weren't?

I'd argue that Germany and Portugal are better than Uruguay and Italy though. Ghana better than Costa Rica too.

Last edited:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Who the hell said they weren't?

I'd argue that Germany and Portugal are better than Uruguay and Italy though. Ghana better than Costa Rica too.

I would say the top two are close to equal and Ghana is better than CR but they are both bottom feeders.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Germany and Portugal are better than England and Italy, easily.

But Uruaguay is far better than either USA or Ghana. That makes that group harder. Costa Rica does not matter they will finish 4th anyway.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

But Uruaguay is far better than either USA or Ghana. That makes that group harder. Costa Rica does not matter they will finish 4th anyway.

You don't think the US could get any points off of Germany and Portugal? Not saying they will, but that was the attitude of -

Portugal in 2002
Italy in 2006
England in 2010

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

The question is whether Uruguay and Italy better than Portugal and Germany. I think its close england and the US are the 3rd best team FIFA ranking wise in each group

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a teams market value would be like saying the Redskins are #1 because they bought up all of the best players in Free Agency?
Basically, yes. The folly of judging teams in such a matter in any sport should be obvious.

FIFA calculates world rankings (updated monthly) based on match results, this is used for seeding in tournaments such as the World Cup. But it leads to oddities, so others have come up with other statistical rankings which are considered more realistic, for instance the Elo ratings (based on the system used in chess). In both systems, the US is currently ranked 13th in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/world_football_elo_ratings

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Even if your best athletes choose soccer first you would not stand a chance.

1. the sport is way more skill based and stamina based, raw athleticism is relatively useless

2. the US development system, youth setup and college is horrid compared to european pro clubs where kids start at a young age and go to a club funded school that is focused on education while also training every day.

3. You don't have the coaching expertise and know-how to develop these players

I don't think these is a single knowledgable person who thinks the USA can win in 2014 or 2018 or 2022 for that matter.

Klinsmann openly saying this is just to prepare for the media when the USA drop out after the group stages which is likely.

Bwahahahahahahahah, please! This is a huge hypothetical, because it's never going to happen in the course of the U.S.'s future history, but IF soccer suddenly became the top choice of the best U.S. athletes, we would end up utterly dominating the sport. Not overnight, but within a generation or two.

1. We have the best of the best of the best in pretty much all levels of non-sport specific athletic development and talent pools. Unlike many of the top countries, we have a population able to spend money to help their kids along.

2. The best coaches and administrators in the world would flock to here, because they know the truth of #1. MLS would become the top league in the world within a generation or two, and a new crop of coaches, developmental leagues, and so forth would sprout.

3. Of course we can't win, now or in 2018, because it isn't the top sport. Or the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or probably even fifth sport either.

4. To further bury the ludicrousness of your statement, we have managed to pull upsets and advance fairly well in the WC at stages in the past. We gave Germany a run for their money, your beloved Germany, and almost made them crap their pants. For a sport our country by and large doesn't give a damn about. If soccer suddenly became the top sport in the U.S., we would eventually dominate the sport. Period.

5. To your continued hate and vitriol? :biglaugh:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
3. Of course we can't win, now or in 2018, because it isn't the top sport. Or the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or probably even fifth sport either.

MLS has an average attendance higher than that of NBA and NHL so they rank 3rd in attendance and are growing. MLS is currently the 7th ranked league globally which isnt too shabby given the short amount of time they have been around in comparison to the other leagues. I could see MLS being a top 5 ranked league globally by 2018. That said most the players that will grow the popularity with not be from the US.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
This is by far the best the US has looked sloppy early in the 1st half but have looked good on the counter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake