The Official US Soccer thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Wow a surprising victory. I have to give this team credit. They aren't perfect but they earned some respect today. I wish I could have seen the game.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch (damn work) but I followed on a couple of sites. From what I gather Brooks, Alvarado, Orozco and Shea were pretty bad defensively, is that correct?

Yeah the defense was shaky at best. Got lucky a couple of times. It seemed like Guzan spent the entire game with his hands in the air looking at his defenders with a WTF look on his face.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yet another game I at stuck at work for.

At least next month all the USMNT Gold Cup matches are at a reasonable start time

Oh the U23's ended up taking 3rd place in the Toulon tourney and the U20's just made it to the Quarterfinals where they will play Serbia.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet another game I at stuck at work for.

At least next month all the USMNT Gold Cup matches are at a reasonable start time

Oh the U23's ended up taking 3rd place in the Toulon tourney and the U20's just made it to the Quarterfinals where they will play Serbia.

So sad these tournaments are no longer on ESPN. I used to stream/delay watch most of them and now it is nearly impossible to not get spoiled.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Provisional Gold Cup Roster...
Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club León)

Defenders: Ventura Alvarado (Club América), DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Michael Orozco (Pubela), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers), Brek Shea (Orlando City), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards: Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Alan Gordon (LA Galaxy), Aron Jóhannsson (AZ), Jordan Morris (Stanford University), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Brad Davis, Alan Gordon and Chris Wondolowski? Ugh.

EDIT: I just noticed Beasley, I thought he retired from INTL play!? I guess that says a lot for the sad state of affairs at outside back

Last edited:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tie game! Nice pass from Michael Bradley to setup the goal.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
The game plan of letting the Germans hold 70% possession, stringing 20 -30 passes together, then counter attacking when they get overconfident is working perfectly.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The game plan of letting the Germans hold 70% possession, stringing 20 -30 passes together, then counter attacking when they get overconfident is working perfectly.

:thumbup:

This is a different US team in the second half, playing much more confidently.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Nice week in Europe, a win at Holland and a win at Germany with what is honestly an understrength squad.

Is there anyway they can swap out Wondo or Gordon on that 30 man roster for Bobby Wood? Please.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Just wow.

A LOT of credit needs to be given to Klinsmann here. Germany was in complete control for the first 35-40 minutes of the game. The gulf in class was more than apparent.

The substitutions in the second half, putting Zardes up front and subbing in Morris/Wood has been money. They were the better team in the second half. Wow.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The dummy run by Jordan Morris to set up Wood's goal was amazing. These guys up top are exciting.

Hard to believe he just finished up his sophomore year in college. He has a little bit of the young Landon Donovan in him.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
What a second half for our boys. I'm very proud of them. Both teams made changes and we were much more competitive after intermission.

I agree the first 30 mins were all Germany. It was ball watching at times and at times we just couldn't get the ball. The goal was too easy for them. I thought when we did get possession we were more calm and patient than I've seen playing the ball out of the back and making them chase. The pass from Bradley on mix's goal was world class and capped a great build up by the team. The counter attacking run and pass he made to zardes right before the half should have been a better result. It's hard to believe mix got 0 minutes in the World Cup he has been a factor in just about every game he's played.

It's clear to me Bradley is our best player period and should be captain. He commanded the teams midfield and led his team brilliantly against quality opposition. The younger players give us options and put more pressure on older players that maybe have to look over their shoulder now. This is exactly what you want from a friendly. Now the usa have more options.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Provisional Gold Cup Roster...

Brad Davis, Alan Gordon and Chris Wondolowski? Ugh.

EDIT: I just noticed Beasley, I thought he retired from INTL play!? I guess that says a lot for the sad state of affairs at outside back
With the way things look now I'd be stunned if wondo or Beasley are in the final roster. I think Morris zardes and johanssen who played very well today Make it tough for wondo especially when you consider their youth. And Beasley really it depends on how he wants to use yedlin and Johnson. If he wants to use them at midfield then Beasley might have an outside shot. I do like the way Evans played and chandler played better on the left in the second half.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
If the USMNT only defeated Netherlands, you could say the Dutch defense was poor. If the boys in blue only defeated Germany, you could say it was not the world champion squad. Winning both, on European soil, with kids most of us never heard of two years ago, is huge.

Pace is what exposed the weakness in Holland's back line. Speed and aggression put two inside Germany's net. The matches this week displayed fast attacking players can negate and defeat technically superior teams.

The formula for the USMNT is pretty clear - speed kills.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
If the USMNT only defeated Netherlands, you could say the Dutch defense was poor. If the boys in blue only defeated Germany, you could say it was not the world champion squad. Winning both, on European soil, with kids most of us never heard of two years ago, is huge.

Pace is what exposed the weakness in Holland's back line. Speed and aggression put two inside Germany's net. The matches this week displayed fast attacking players can negate and defeat technically superior teams.

I would have been happy with a draw against either team. But winning both was not foreseen.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I get so excited about the possibility of Bradley and Zelalem in the midfield creating chances for these young guys or even the older guys Dempsey/Altidore.

edit. I'm pretty shocked Zelalem isn't on the Gold Cup roster.

Last edited:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Couldn't watch any of it at work, so followed what I could on a match thread on another site while getting the highlights. That 2nd goal was a thing of beauty.

http://gfycat.com/PolishedPartialCougar

Wish I could embed it since it's gorgeous quality BTW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake