The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I get so excited about the possibility of Bradley and Zelalem in the midfield creating chances for these young guys or even the older guys Dempsey/Altidore.

edit. I'm pretty shocked Zelalem isn't on the Gold Cup roster.

Zelalem hasn't even practiced with the senior team yet and it isn't like he is dominating with the U20's, I think we need to temper our expectations with him. Let's wait for him to be out of his teens and get regular minutes with his club before we expect him to make a contribution. I would like to see him and a couple of other U20's be on the Olympic Qual roster though.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Zelalem hasn't even practiced with the senior team yet and it isn't like he is dominating with the U20's, I think we need to temper our expectations with him. Let's wait for him to be out of his teens and get regular minutes with his club before we expect him to make a contribution. I would like to see him and a couple of other U20's be on the Olympic Qual roster though.

I think it's great that he wanted to play for the usa when he had other options. The fact that he gets to develop with his peers is even better. He has looked good so far.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it's great that he wanted to play for the usa when he had other options. The fact that he gets to develop with his peers is even better. He has looked good so far.

He needs a left foot. Highlights I watched were all mostly with his right.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think he is probably already there to make contributions with the Senior team. Apparently so does Klinsmann. (at least he has publically said as much) That's why it is weird that he didn't even make the 35 man roster.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think he is probably already there to make contributions with the Senior team. Apparently so does Klinsmann. (at least he has publically said as much) That's why it is weird that he didn't even make the 35 man roster.

I don't think he is anywhere close to making contributions to the senior team yet, he isn't getting first team club minutes. I think maybe we need to remember Julian Green, who had unrealistic expectations as well and it is pretty clear he isn't ready for senior team time (which is why he wasn't on the roster either). I have only seen Zelalem in U20 matches and while good he does not look any better than say Luis Gil for instance (U23). To be honest he does not look as good as Adu did as a U20, no need to be burned by expectation and rushing a kid too soon again.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Hard to believe he just finished up his sophomore year in college. He has a little bit of the young Landon Donovan in him.

I've rewatched the Jordan Morris dummy run and Bobby Wood goal about 50 times, now. Watching it live I thought, that was a world-class move by an experienced forward. Afterwards, I wanted to go back and see if it was as impressive slowed down, frame-by-frame. Doing this, I'm even more impressed.

If you get a chance to watch the replay, the first thing you notice is Morris' body placement in regards to his defender. THAT German defender was the only one that wasn't fooled (more on that later) but can't intercept the pass without going through Jordan. Without the perfect timing of placing himself between the ball and the defender, the winning goal ends up looking like just a bad pass from Brad Evans.

Second thing you notice is Wood's defender. For almost a full second he takes his eyes off of Bobby and is tracking Jordan. By the time the German realizes his mistake, Bobby Wood has turned with a clear, unchallenged shot. The defender wasn't watching the ball or marking his man, he was watching and moving toward where he thought the play was heading.

Finally (and it took about 30 replays to notice) watch the German keeper. He too is tracking Morris with his eyes, and moving to the near post, even after Brad Evans makes the pass. Following Jordan's run he believed that side of the net needed covering. By the time Wood turns and shoots, the net minder's new position has caused an inability to cover the far post.

It doesn't make sense for an experienced squad to give so much respect to an amature that probably only has to shave once a week. Why did it happen, then? Best guess is the Germans just did not expect such a world class move from the Yanks and it took a second to comprehend an American (in college) just pulled it off to perfection.

My new favorite young player, Jordan Morris.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I've rewatched the Jordan Morris dummy run and Bobby Wood goal about 50 times, now. Watching it live I thought, that was a world-class move by an experienced forward. Afterwards, I wanted to go back and see if it was as impressive slowed down, frame-by-frame. Doing this, I'm even more impressed.

If you get a chance to watch the replay, the first thing you notice is Morris' body placement in regards to his defender. THAT German defender was the only one that wasn't fooled (more on that later) but can't intercept the pass without going through Jordan. Without the perfect timing of placing himself between the ball and the defender, the winning goal ends up looking like just a bad pass from Brad Evans.

Second thing you notice is Wood's defender. For almost a full second he takes his eyes off of Bobby and is tracking Jordan. By the time the German realizes his mistake, Bobby Wood has turned with a clear, unchallenged shot. The defender wasn't watching the ball or marking his man, he was watching and moving toward where he thought the play was heading.

Finally (and it took about 30 replays to notice) watch the German keeper. He too is tracking Morris with his eyes, and moving to the near post, even after Brad Evans makes the pass. Following Jordan's run he believed that side of the net needed covering. By the time Wood turns and shoots, the net minder's new position has caused an inability to cover the far post.

It doesn't make sense for an experienced squad to give so much respect to an amature that probably only has to shave once a week. Why did it happen, then? Best guess is the Germans just did not expect such a world class move from the Yanks and it took a second to comprehend an American (in college) just pulled it off to perfection.

Good analysis. Clearly this is a bigger win for the USA than it is a loss for germany. Other than a shot to their ego I don't see it as any problem for them. At least that's the way it seems. The story seems to be that germany didn't have their best players but aside from their back four and keeper they did have a lot of World Cup champions and Hermann looks like a next great as he got the better of mix and Fabian. For me the biggest story is the usa players. Some of us complained about the inexperience level before the trip. Klinnsmann got a brilliant result with many younger players. No Howard no dempsey no jozy. And more
Than just those being out. He also played just about everyone he called. He is putting his confidence in younger guys and forcing then to embrace their opportunity to win not just show up. This win is different. The ignorant football fans that just assume the USA are going all in on friendly matches are now wrong. Those days are over and now the USA fans that chastised klinnsmann for leaving off the bigger name players in friendly matches can see that this is how you conduct business if you want to succeed.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Good analysis. Clearly this is a bigger win for the USA than it is a loss for germany. Other than a shot to their ego I don't see it as any problem for them. At least that's the way it seems. The story seems to be that germany didn't have their best players but aside from their back four and keeper they did have a lot of World Cup champions and Hermann looks like a next great as he got the better of mix and Fabian. For me the biggest story is the usa players. Some of us complained about the inexperience level before the trip. Klinnsmann got a brilliant result with many younger players. No Howard no dempsey no jozy. And more
Than just those being out. He also played just about everyone he called. He is putting his confidence in younger guys and forcing then to embrace their opportunity to win not just show up. This win is different. The ignorant football fans that just assume the USA are going all in on friendly matches are now wrong. Those days are over and now the USA fans that chastised klinnsmann for leaving off the bigger name players in friendly matches can see that this is how you conduct business if you want to succeed.

Again as I said before the ONLY reason Dempsey, Altidore and Gonzalez (I don't count Howard as he is on a break from intl duty by his choice) were left off the roster was because of injury, not because the coach wanted to give the younger guys a run out. He made it very clear he considered these 2 matches preparation for the Gold Cup and part of that preparation was building team chemistry. Morris was only called in AFTER another injury hit the team (and he was available because he was close by--already in France with the U23's- and since he is a college kid they did not have to ask for a club to release him).

Nobody chastised him for who he left off, if anything it was more people questioning who he brought (I am still not a Beckerman fan).

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I was thinking yesterday of style of play and to me he plays a bit like Michael Owen. Now before anyone jumps on me I don't think he is that talented but that who his style is reminiscent of.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

our season ended weeks ago, the players were already on vacation and most of them are annoyed at these pointless national team games at this time of the year. A majority of the players playing would not be in our team in a normal game.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't think he is anywhere close to making contributions to the senior team yet, he isn't getting first team club minutes. I think maybe we need to remember Julian Green, who had unrealistic expectations as well and it is pretty clear he isn't ready for senior team time (which is why he wasn't on the roster either). I have only seen Zelalem in U20 matches and while good he does not look any better than say Luis Gil for instance (U23). To be honest he does not look as good as Adu did as a U20, no need to be burned by expectation and rushing a kid too soon again.

It is the same tactic as with Green. Everyone knew this kid was not remotely close to ready yet Klinsmann took him to the World Cup just to lock him up.

It's shady business.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
our season ended weeks ago, the players were already on vacation and most of them are annoyed at these pointless national team games at this time of the year. A majority of the players playing would not be in our team in a normal game.

Blah blah blah. Excuses, excuses.

This was a friendly and not important in the state of world football but you are ridiculously predictable.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It is the same tactic as with Green. Everyone knew this kid was not remotely close to ready yet Klinsmann took him to the World Cup just to lock him up.

It's shady business.

The difference is Zelalem identifies as himself an American kid, he lived in the US from 9 years old until he went to back to Europe at 16. His father wanted him to rep the US because he loves the country that gave him opportunity. He was going to play for the US as long as he was legally allowed to...no shady business there.

Green had no cultural ties to the US but legally was a citizen via jus sanguinis. Green IMO was secured with the promise of a spot on the WC roster that he really didn't deserve.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Blah blah blah. Excuses, excuses.

This was a friendly and not important in the state of world football but you are ridiculously predictable.

Indeed. The problem here, SlinSlin, is that WE fielded a B team too, and even your B team fielded a lot of stars. We came to Germany and won there for the first time, and you absolutely hate it. We know how you really feel. Go ahead and cry in your Orangina, bud.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

Yeah that's pretty much what many have said and most of us knew that going in. Germany's b side should still beat any American team friendly or not especially in Germany.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Again as I said before the ONLY reason Dempsey, Altidore and Gonzalez (I don't count Howard as he is on a break from intl duty by his choice) were left off the roster was because of injury, not because the coach wanted to give the younger guys a run out. He made it very clear he considered these 2 matches preparation for the Gold Cup and part of that preparation was building team chemistry. Morris was only called in AFTER another injury hit the team (and he was available because he was close by--already in France with the U23's- and since he is a college kid they did not have to ask for a club to release him).

Nobody chastised him for who he left off, if anything it was more people questioning who he brought (I am still not a Beckerman fan).

Yeah I remember your post and that wasn't meant for you or anyone else on these boards. Also I'm just going off of his reputation to take risks with younger players and expecting them to yield results. I don't think it is necessarily out of the question for one of those big named guys to be left off the gold cup in favor of a younger player. I would expect to see brooks and Gonzalez in the back though. I would also wonder if he would consider dropping dempsey to the midfield?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah I remember your post and that wasn't meant for you or anyone else on these boards. Also I'm just going off of his reputation to take risks with younger players and expecting them to yield results. I don't think it is necessarily out of the question for one of those big named guys to be left off the gold cup in favor of a younger player. I would expect to see brooks and Gonzalez in the back though. I would also wonder if he would consider dropping dempsey to the midfield?

I am guessing Dempsey will be more of a withdrawn striker than anything, playing just behind whoever starts up top. Although to me some of his best moments with the US come when he is out wide (goal versus Ghana springs to mind).

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Indeed. The problem here, SlinSlin, is that WE fielded a B team too, and even your B team fielded a lot of stars. We came to Germany and won there for the first time, and you absolutely hate it. We know how you really feel. Go ahead and cry in your Orangina, bud.

This is where we won't get a fair shake until we win a World Cup or at least get to a final. People don't respect our "a" squad so when the quote on quote "a" players are missing from our unit and we win or lose it won't matter to anyone else. Had we been thrashed 5-2 which is what it looked like it could be early people would be calling us minnows. On the flip side winning doesnt mean anything because germany doesn't care about a gilbralter tune up.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I am guessing Dempsey will be more of a withdrawn striker than anything, playing just behind whoever starts up top. Although to me some of his best moments with the US come when he is out wide (goal versus Ghana springs to mind).

I feel like he did that late in the Belgium game too? I can't recall.

What do you think his starting 9 will be and what would be yours? Reserves too?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I feel like he did that late in the Belgium game too? I can't recall.

What do you think his starting 9 will be and what would be yours? Reserves too?

Lets see my starting 11 based on who is available right now...

F Altidore--Morris

MF Johnson--Bradley-Kitchen--Dempsey

D Garza-Gonzalez-Brooks-Chandler

Guzan

Morris may not be ready to start yet but I really would like to see how he would operate with Altidore who is pretty good at hold up play. I think they would complement each other quite well.

I really like how Perry Kitchen plays and I think he would be an upgrade over Beckerman, at the very least his first pass would not be backwards.

I am not a fan of Brek Shea as a starter--he fills a good role off the bench though, Garza has his flaws but I think he can grow in to a decent outside back...the toughest decision to me would be Brooks over Besler, I think Besler is better RIGHT NOW but Brooks is the future going forward.

I could also see Fabian Johnson dropping back to left back and Bedoya playing in the midfield.

July 3rd is the last warm up against Guatemala, I expect the team to rotate players through the lineup quite a bit to keep them fresh during the tourney--they play the 3rd (friendly) 7th, 10th & 13th...then either the 18th or 19th for the first knockout game.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

:D

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Lets see my starting 11 based on who is available right now...

F Altidore--Morris

MF Johnson--Bradley-Kitchen--Dempsey

D Garza-Gonzalez-Brooks-Chandler

Guzan

Morris may not be ready to start yet but I really would like to see how he would operate with Altidore who is pretty good at hold up play. I think they would complement each other quite well.

I really like how Perry Kitchen plays and I think he would be an upgrade over Beckerman, at the very least his first pass would not be backwards.

I am not a fan of Brek Shea as a starter--he fills a good role off the bench though, Garza has his flaws but I think he can grow in to a decent outside back...the toughest decision to me would be Brooks over Besler, I think Besler is better RIGHT NOW but Brooks is the future going forward.

I could also see Fabian Johnson dropping back to left back and Bedoya playing in the midfield.

July 3rd is the last warm up against Guatemala, I expect the team to rotate players through the lineup quite a bit to keep them fresh during the tourney--they play the 3rd (friendly) 7th, 10th & 13th...then either the 18th or 19th for the first knockout game.

I like Johnson at left back and Bedoya in better. I also would prefer Yedlin to Chandler - no matter who Yedlin plays against, his pace is a game changer.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

I like it. I too like Morris. The dude is consistent so far and it's not just scoring goals he's a playmaker.

I like jozy and Morris with johanssen and zardes backup. I'm also ok with jozy and johanssen because they have played together.

I like mix dempsey Bradley and jones

I like Johnson brooks Gonzalez and yedlin.

I really like chandler in the left back and Evans or Cameron in the right back and you could push Johnson and yedlin up. It's tough he has choices.

Brooks really does well playing the ball out of the back moving fwd. besler is probably a safer bet to consistently mark his assignment.

The good thing I like about this team and what I saw in the germany game is that all of these players are sort of interchangeable and can play different positions.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Here's what I think klinnsmann will do.

Jozy dempsey

Johnson Bradley jones yedlin

Chandler brooks Gonzalez Evans/Cameron

Guzan

Last edited:

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Not sure what everyone sees in Timmy Chandler that I'm missing. Believe he was consistently bad in the last two friendlies, continuing his form when playing for country. I have no doubt he is a fine club player, but some don't make the transition. As far as guessing what Jurgen will do for the final roster and starting XI, I give up. The guy is a mad scientist that I can't figure out, but like the results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake