Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Here's what I think klinnsmann will do.

Jozy dempsey

Johnson Bradley jones yedlin

Chandler brooks Gonzalez Evans/Cameron

Guzan

Neither Jones or Cameron will be in the Gold Cup and IMO Evans doesn't belong on the roster let alone on the field.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I like Johnson at left back and Bedoya in better. I also would prefer Yedlin to Chandler - no matter who Yedlin plays against, his pace is a game changer.

I think at this point Yedlin is at his best coming off the bench, his pace wears out tired legs in the second half. He is still young though and has a promising future.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Not sure what everyone sees in Timmy Chandler that I'm missing. Believe he was consistently bad in the last two friendlies, continuing his form when playing for country. I have no doubt he is a fine club player, but some don't make the transition. As far as guessing what Jurgen will do for the final roster and starting XI, I give up. The guy is a mad scientist that I can't figure out, but like the results.

I am not a huge Chandler fan myself I see both outside back spots as a weakness right now. I think Fabian Johnson plays well at left back but is a better player in the MF, I think Brek Shea is pretty much a trainwreck at left back but can be a super sub in the MF, Yedlin is still learning to play right back and Jurgen plays him more in the MF than he does on the backline, Chandler and Garza are about the best of a weak group IMO.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Not sure what everyone sees in Timmy Chandler that I'm missing. Believe he was consistently bad in the last two friendlies, continuing his form when playing for country. I have no doubt he is a fine club player, but some don't make the transition. As far as guessing what Jurgen will do for the final roster and starting XI, I give up. The guy is a mad scientist that I can't figure out, but like the results.
I like chandlers ability to get fwd and play the ball out of the back. Same with brooks Johnson and yedlin. They all are offensive minded. The downside is they all can get caught out of position. At times chandler and brooks also relax mentally. I think if you want to play 0-0 type or 1-0 type games then playing these guys in the back might not be the best option.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like chandlers ability to get fwd and play the ball out of the back. Same with brooks Johnson and yedlin. They all are offensive minded. The downside is they all can get caught out of position. At times chandler and brooks also relax mentally. I think if you want to play 0-0 type or 1-0 type games then playing these guys in the back might not be the best option.

I think this team might be better suited to play 3 in the back. Allow Yedlin or Chandler/Johnson to play LWB/RWB to be more defensive when needed and also push forward when needed. People automatically have a connotation that playing with the in the back 3 or a back 5, whatever you want to call it is playing negatively. It doesn't have to be. Also, having someone like Jones as one of those 3 when he can push forward and link play up in the midfield when needed could work.

Chandler -- Brooks -- Jones -- Gonzales/Besler -- Yedlin
Bradley -- Diskerud/Kitchen
Dempsey -- Altidore -- Johannson/Johnson

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think at this point Yedlin is at his best coming off the bench, his pace wears out tired legs in the second half. He is still young though and has a promising future.

That's a good point. I love yedlins energy and most of his best games have been off the bench. I just don't see someone else better than him on that right side in the midfield or back. But he is a weapon if fresh running at tired legs. I guess there are a number of guys that he could replace off the bench. Dempsey to name one could start in the middle right and move up late in the game.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Neither Jones or Cameron will be in the Gold Cup and IMO Evans doesn't belong on the roster let alone on the field.

Well Cameron I could see not being there but jones? Do you just not like his game or is there a reason klinnsmann will leave him off. Jurgen is bringing him if he's healthy. I did hear was injured. I have to admit I don't watch much MLS so I have not kept up with jones of late.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think this team might be better suited to play 3 in the back. Allow Yedlin or Chandler/Johnson to play LWB/RWB to be more defensive when needed and also push forward when needed. People automatically have a connotation that playing with the in the back 3 or a back 5, whatever you want to call it is playing negatively. It doesn't have to be. Also, having someone like Jones as one of those 3 when he can push forward and link play up in the midfield when needed could work.

Chandler -- Brooks -- Jones -- Gonzales/Besler -- Yedlin
Bradley -- Diskerud/Kitchen
Dempsey -- Altidore -- Johannson/Johnson

That's an interesting lineup. Johnson really could play anywhere. He is a huge weapon for this team. If yedlin keeps being a sub then my guess is Johnson will be effected by that.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I am not a huge Chandler fan myself I see both outside back spots as a weakness right now. I think Fabian Johnson plays well at left back but is a better player in the MF, I think Brek Shea is pretty much a trainwreck at left back but can be a super sub in the MF, Yedlin is still learning to play right back and Jurgen plays him more in the MF than he does on the backline, Chandler and Garza are about the best of a weak group IMO.
I would have to agree and this is a problem for us. Finding that happy medium moving up and staying back is hard for them. Yedlin and Johnson both get caught in just about every game but the key is whoever plays midfield on their side needs to be on point with them. Would you consider playing them both on the same side?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
What about this lineup

Jozy johannssen/Morris

BEdoya Bradley kitchen/jones Dempsey

Chandler brooks gonzo Johnson

Guzan

Subs yedlin mix Shea/johannsen/morris or zardes(and move others accordingly).

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Another lineup

Jozy Morris

Bedoya lmf dempsey fwd mf Bradley back mf Johnson rmf

Garza brooks gonzo chandler

Guzan

Subs

yedlin then a choice of Johannsen zardes mix and Shea

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I've never seen it with Chandler either. He lacks the pace to get back on defense after foraying runs, is terrible in defense, and, IMO, doesn't show much on offense either.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Decided to cave and come up with MY 23 man squad for the Gold Cup and starting XI.

Keepers (3):

Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)
Bill Hamid (D.C. United)
William Yarbrough (Club León)

Nick Rimando is a veteran and a great locker-room guy. Jurgen will probably include Nick on HIS team, but this is MINE. Yarbrough or Hamid could very well be the US #1 in a few years, and I would not want one to think the other has the inside track. Keep them competing, together. Net minders are being asked to play more of a sweeper position, Yarbrough has the feet and might be a perfect fit for the new evolution of Keepers.

Defenders (8):

Ventura Alvarado (Club América)
Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City)
John Brooks (Hertha Berlin)
Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders)
Greg Garza (Club Tijuana)
Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy)
Brek Shea (Orlando City)
DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)

Eliminating Defender names from the preliminary roster was tougher than expected. These eight have the best (position specific) combination of youth and experience.

Midfielders (8):
Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake)
Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes)
Michael Bradley (Toronto FC)
Mix Diskerud (New York City FC)
Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach)
Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)
Perry Kitchen (D.C. United)
Joe Corona (Club Tijuana)

With six players being virtual locks for the final roster, the decision came down to including two names from the choices of Joe Corona, Lee Nguyen and Perry Kitchen. I believe Corona is a fine young distributer and have always thought Nguyen possessed natural talent. Kitchen brings a toughness in the center that could be necessary to spell or replace Beckerman's role.

Forwards (4):
Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC)
Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders)
Alan Gordon (LA Galaxy)
Jordan Morris (Stanford University)

When Jozy pulled his hamstring in the World Cup, the USMNT hopes of winning another game were gone. Alan Gordon is the only other forward with the size and aerial ability to take Altidore's role, if needed. Jordan Morris off the bench, when defender's legs are heavier, can change the game with his speed. He has to be on the roster, and you have to find reasons for him to see the pitch.

Starting XI:

Goal: Guzan
*He is the #1 this Summer.

Back Line: Yedlin, Gonzalez, Brooks, Shea
*Honestly, switch any of them with the guys on the bench - I'm just as happy, and nervous.

Diamond: Beckerman, Diskerud, Johnson, Bradley
*Bedoya and Zardes will see time during the tournament. Bradley and Beckerman seem to have a chemistry and understanding of the other's game. Kitchen will help keep Kyle's legs fresh.

Up Top: Dempsey, Altidore
*On MY team, I have a word in private with both of them. "That college kid is taking one of your spots on the National Team, very soon. Up to you which one gets replaced."

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Good grief, could we just get rid of Beckerman, please? He's too negative a player who often stifles the offense. I understand he's a defensive midfielder, but you cannot automatically just pass the ball backwards. Beckerman just doesn't seem to be able to see the field around him while receiving the ball.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
Good grief, could we just get rid of Beckerman, please? He's too negative a player who often stifles the offense. I understand he's a defensive midfielder, but you cannot automatically just pass the ball backwards. Beckerman just doesn't seem to be able to see the field around him while receiving the ball.

haha. Maybe I'm just still juiced off the Kool-Aid of last week. Ten days ago I would have agreed with every sentiment about Medusa hair. But after the last two Friendlies, there is a noticeable confidence in Bradley (and the other Mids) knowing there is always someone that will always protect the back. Beckerman knows his role and seems content to just do it and allows those around him grab the spotlight.

Stout

Reaction score
haha. Maybe I'm just still juiced off the Kool-Aid of last week. Ten days ago I would have agreed with every sentiment about Medusa hair. But after the last two Friendlies, there is a noticeable confidence in Bradley (and the other Mids) knowing there is always someone that will always protect the back. Beckerman knows his role and seems content to just do it and allows those around him grab the spotlight.

All fine and dandy, but he kills a lot of plays that way. If he could manage to do that while still seeing the field and making the right pass a majority of the time, rather than ALWAYS just making a back pass, he'd be better. Given how old he is, he doesn't have the time (or the inclination, it seems) to improve. He won't be going to the World Cup, so why bother trying to bring him along?

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
Agreed. Very immature, especially for a so called leader.

And that is the problem. When a young man in his late teens/early twenties shows behavior like this, it can be excused. If you are 30+ years old, still trying to show-up referees, throwing elbows, playing the "hold me back" act, etc., you're just a punk.

His absence will hurt in the Gold Cup, but I hope he gets suspended for three months.

I wish I could find the video of Jurgen speaking to the USMNT players, immediately after the World Cup roster of 23 was chosen. Klinsmann addressed and gave thanks to those not on the roster, then said its time to move forward. The next part of his speech was an attempt to get the squad fired up and ended it with, "Captain, do want to say anything?" "Captain?" He then walked over to Dempsey, who spent the entire time looking at a mobile device in his hands, touched Clint on the shoulder and asked, "Captain, you want to say something?" Duece, not looking up, just shook his head. I stopped justifying his immaturity after that.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
And that is the problem. When a young man in his late teens/early twenties shows behavior like this, it can be excused. If you are 30+ years old, still trying to show-up referees, throwing elbows, playing the "hold me back" act, etc., you're just a punk.

His absence will hurt in the Gold Cup, but I hope he gets suspended for three months.

I wish I could find the video of Jurgen speaking to the USMNT players, immediately after the World Cup roster of 23 was chosen. Klinsmann addressed and gave thanks to those not on the roster, then said its time to move forward. The next part of his speech was an attempt to get the squad fired up and ended it with, "Captain, do want to say anything?" "Captain?" He then walked over to Dempsey, who spent the entire time looking at a mobile device in his hands, touched Clint on the shoulder and asked, "Captain, you want to say something?" Duece, not looking up, just shook his head. I stopped justifying his immaturity after that.

I never saw that but that really doesn't surprise me.

Bradley was an immature player in his younger days but has obviously grown up, he displays the character on and off th field you want of a captain. Dempsey is obviously a talented player but he doesn't act the way a captain should.