The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This was an embarrassment, an utter embarrassment. Howard should have been in this game, as Guzan was shambolic at best in that first half. Playing scared, wuss soccer, falling back and refusing to pressure until the opposition are in the final third, is not just a recipe for disaster--as we clearly saw--but playing negative tactics saps your own team of energy while providing it to the opposition. JK played scared, and it showed.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Have you read about this Fabian Johnson situation? Apparently, Klinsmann sent him home to "evaluate his position with the national team" while saying it was also to prevent injury... Well, Monchengladbach is saying that he actually returned with a thigh injury... What is going on with Klinsmann?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Have you read about this Fabian Johnson situation? Apparently, Klinsmann sent him home to "evaluate his position with the national team" while saying it was also to prevent injury... Well, Monchengladbach is saying that he actually returned with a thigh injury... What is going on with Klinsmann?

From what I read Klinsmann wanted Johnson to gut out the last 8-9 minutes of the match against Mexico and didn't think he was really injured. Johnson felt he was hurt and needed to come off. Then the fact that JK went to the media about it, that is weird. I wonder if he is starting to lose the locker room at all.

Does anyone really care about the friendly against Costa Rica? It is tonight on ESPN, after the disappointment of the weekend I really have a hard time mustering any desire to watch this team.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This team is in shambles. They lose again tonight and were no threat all night.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Not defending or attacking Jurgen, but his choices for the player pool need to change. Immediately.

Any player whose age seriously jeopardizes their chance to play in the next World Cup... OUT
Any player who has recently signed a multi-year deal that will be their last, big payday... OUT
Any player that doesn't like playing out of position so much they fake an injury (allegedly)... OUT
Any player that feels the need to take a sabbatical away from international duty, but not club duties, and doesn't have a good enough reason to make every woman on 'The View' cry... OUT
Any player that gains 20 lbs of muscle, but thinks this is a game of international paddy-cake... OUT
In short, anyone that isn't financially and personally invested in the national team... YOU ARE OUT

I want young players that see this as an opportunity for recognition, veterans wanting to prove they deserve a big contract, and players that act like being one of only 23 people representing their country is a big ****ing deal.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
From what I read Klinsmann wanted Johnson to gut out the last 8-9 minutes of the match against Mexico and didn't think he was really injured. Johnson felt he was hurt and needed to come off. Then the fact that JK went to the media about it, that is weird. I wonder if he is starting to lose the locker room at all.

Does anyone really care about the friendly against Costa Rica? It is tonight on ESPN, after the disappointment of the weekend I really have a hard time mustering any desire to watch this team.

I wasn't going to call for his firing yet, but yeah, this is the last straw for me. I found it a head scratcher that he'd call Johnson out for it in the media. Now it comes to light that he was really injured? Add this to his insane comments that always try to shrug off any and all criticism, and he's a goner to me. I know we won't fire him, but we should.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I wasn't going to call for his firing yet, but yeah, this is the last straw for me. I found it a head scratcher that he'd call Johnson out for it in the media. Now it comes to light that he was really injured? Add this to his insane comments that always try to shrug off any and all criticism, and he's a goner to me. I know we won't fire him, but we should.

I am with you. He made a lot of progress early on, called in a lot of new faces, changed tactics, players seemed to be responding and then BLAM it is like he ran right in to a wall. Maybe national team coaches shouldn't be in charge for more than 1 WC cycle in a row, maybe the players get burnt out on them and their tactics get stale.

Stout

Reaction score
And what's the deal with continuously giving Mexico home games on our soil? Why in the hell would we EVER schedule such a big game so close to Mexico? That play-in game should have been played in Michigan, or New England, or someplace like that.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
And what's the deal with continuously giving Mexico home games on our soil? Why in the hell would we EVER schedule such a big game so close to Mexico? That play-in game should have been played in Michigan, or New England, or someplace like that.

Money. In this case US Soccer didn't pick the venue CONCACAF did, it wasn't technically a "home" match. They picked the venue before the opponent was even set.

Stout

Reaction score
Money. In this case US Soccer didn't pick the venue CONCACAF did, it wasn't technically a "home" match. They picked the venue before the opponent was even set.

The money excuse doesn't hold water; we actually draw nowadays. The CONCACAF reason is solid, of course.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Question:

I have a friend coming in from Australia who said he wants to find a pub/bar to watch a soccer game on Sunday. Good luck with that, during the NFL season. Anyone know of a place where he is most likely to have some luck finding English Premier League?

I thought of:

Tim Finnegans (Jets Bar)
Skeptical Chymist (Seahags Bar)
Buffalo Wild Wings (assigned NFL games on TV's)
Rosie McCaffrey's (far away)
George and Dragon (Far away)

Nevermind. He is looking for Rugby World Cup (Australia vs. Scotland).

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I would have no clue where to send you for Rugby World Cup stuff. I used to go to George & Dragons back in the mid-late 90's, they showed early morning EPL matches with "English breakfast" but back then 7:30 was way too early for me to be out and about.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I would have no clue where to send you for Rugby World Cup stuff. I used to go to George & Dragons back in the mid-late 90's, they showed early morning EPL matches with "English breakfast" but back then 7:30 was way too early for me to be out and about.

Yeah, it is on PPV. I might just let him buy it at my house and pay be back. I doubt he'll find it anywhere in the valley.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Fabian Johnson is in the starting XI for Borussia Monchengladbach. The astonishing recovery to his "injury" has been attributed to three things.

1. Kissing the boo-boo until it was all better.
2. Using his favorite band-aids with the Batman images on them.
3. Playing in the midfield for his club.

Perhaps explaining the difference between pain and injury is in order.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
U.S. Roster By Position:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS (8): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), Tim Ream (Fulham FC), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Miguel Ibarra (Club Leon), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Alan Gordon (LA Galaxy), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Bobby Wood (Union Berlin), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Klinsmann says he left Dempsey at home to give younger strikers a chance but calls in Alan Gordon who is 34 (Dempsey is 32). I think Dempsey's form right now isn't very good but Gordon is a waste of a roster spot.

Nice to see Nagbe get a spot.

Still would like to see Ethan Finlay, Will Trapp and Perry Kitchen get a chance.

The US should cruise against St Vincent & The Grenadines but Trinidad & Tobago on the road could prove difficult.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
To me Dempsey should be in with jozy out. Jozy has done little to earn his keep
With the national side. It must be an Age thing with jk thinking altidore has more yet to prove. but I also think that a jozy Dempsey pairing will never work although at times Dempsey has found the net here and there. They are absolutely garbage together but seem to do better with a pacer next to them. To me that's what this team lacks is speed. Zardes has to be in but they can't make up their minds where to put him or deandre because they lack speed in so many areas. Since Landon left they have no one who really runs at people and makes them pay. Would consider putting deandre up top? We have to do something to change things.

I agree about beckerman and jones. Would rather see someone else. Bradley seem to flourish in Europe without them. And for the love of god please put Howard back in net. If there is one thing to blast JK about it is butchering his GK situation. Howard probably wins us the gold cup certainly wouldn't have done what guzan did against Jamaica. Geez

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Klinsmann says he left Dempsey at home to give younger strikers a chance but calls in Alan Gordon who is 34 (Dempsey is 32). I think Dempsey's form right now isn't very good but Gordon is a waste of a roster spot.

Nice to see Nagbe get a spot.

Still would like to see Ethan Finlay, Will Trapp and Perry Kitchen get a chance.

The US should cruise against St Vincent & The Grenadines but Trinidad & Tobago on the road could prove difficult.

I agree

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
U-23 friendly against Brazil today at 4 on FS1.

It is a decent roster for the US...

GOALKEEPERS: Cody Cropper (MK Dons; Maple Grove, Minn.), Charlie Horton (Leeds United; Cleveland, Ohio), Jon Kempin (Sporting Kansas City; Leawood, Kan.)

DEFENDERS: John Brooks (Hertha BSC; Berlin, Germany), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur; Westcliff on Sea, England), Eric Miller (Montreal Impact; Woodbury, Minn.), Shane O’Neill (Royal Mouscron; Boulder, Colo.), Boyd Okwuonu (Real Salt Lake; Edmund, Okla.), Dave Romney (LA Galaxy; Irvine, Calif.), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS: Fatai Alashe (San Jose Earthquakes; Northville, Mich.), Julian Green (Bayern Munich; Tampa, Fla.), Alejandro Guido (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Matt Polster (Chicago Fire; Milwaukee, Wisc.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.), Gedion Zelalem (Rangers; Bethesda, Md.)

FORWARDS: Jerome Kiesewetter (VfB Stuttgart; Berlin, Germany), Khiry Shelton (New York City FC; Leander, Tex.), Maki Tall (FC Sion; Washington, D.C.)

The only age eligible players not there that will likely be there for the Colombia matches are Deandre Yedlin, Matt Miazga, Jordan Morris, Luis Gil and Emerson Hyndman...and Yedlin, Miazga & Morris are all on the WCQ roster currently. Hyndman is recovering from an injury, not sure what the deal is with Gil.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Fabian Johnson is in the starting XI for Borussia Monchengladbach. The astonishing recovery to his "injury" has been attributed to three things.

I think that was the biggest issue is that it was mexico. so now two memories many people have of him in big games Belgium no fault of his own(Belgium and now this one) is him sitting on the bench. I think that many of the euro players are great and clearly have better quality than the MLS players, but I don't know that they have the grind that is needed to beat a mexico when wearing a USA jersey. I know that Jermaine jones has that and for that reason he keeps getting capped, but does Fabian? we shall see I love Fabian Johnson's game he may be our best player right now.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score

I think that was the biggest issue is that it was mexico. so now two memories many people have of him in big games(Belgium and now this one) is him sitting on the bench. Belgium was a legit injury. I think that Fabian and some of his Bundesliga buddies are great and clearly have better quality in their league than the MLS players do in theirs, but I don't know that they have the grind that is needed to beat a mexico when wearing the national jersey. if he could dial his inner cherundolo or hejduk.... then you look at Jermaine jones who probably is not talented enough, but gets called because of his grit. wish some of that would rub off. we shall see I love Fabian Johnson's game he may be our best player right now. I'm not attacking Johnson's will to be a player because he seems to enjoy every call up and has played a lot of games. I think sometimes people are quick to criticize our german American players... I just wish that JK would play the same card with guys like howard and Dempsey. don't leave your best guys out...

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
What a frustrating match. If asked beforehand, yes, I'd take this result, and we did play better in the 2nd half, but damn. WTF, Bradley? How can you be so good most of the time and completely turn to crap others? Rather than make the position his own, Ream was exposed and even had to be withdrawn, it was that bad. Yedlin certainly isn't ready. We NEED a left back too, because Johnson's so much better up front. Zardes leaks the ball constantly, had a few bright spots, but then absolutely choked on the big one. Frustrating match.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a frustrating match. If asked beforehand, yes, I'd take this result, and we did play better in the 2nd half, but damn. WTF, Bradley? How can you be so good most of the time and completely turn to crap others? Rather than make the position his own, Ream was exposed and even had to be withdrawn, it was that bad. Yedlin certainly isn't ready. We NEED a left back too, because Johnson's so much better up front. Zardes leaks the ball constantly, had a few bright spots, but then absolutely choked on the big one. Frustrating match.

Bradley struggling to string together passes and Zardes choking was the only frustrating parts of the game for me really. T&T is an underrated team. The same team that held Mexico to 2 draws.

Let's beat up on Guatemala in March and qualify for the hex.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake