The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. I didn't get to see the match, but I don't care that they're saying we played really well. It is inexcusable to lose at the semifinal level of the Gold Cup to Jamaica, especially after the idiotic tinkering JK was doing in actual tournament games. I'm not (quite) calling for his firing like some media outlets, but his job has to be in doubt moving forward.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. I didn't get to see the match, but I don't care that they're saying we played really well. It is inexcusable to lose at the semifinal level of the Gold Cup to Jamaica, especially after the idiotic tinkering JK was doing in actual tournament games. I'm not (quite) calling for his firing like some media outlets, but his job has to be in doubt moving forward.

If they lose the playoff in October, he should probably get fired.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I agree it backfired and what do we really know moving forward as far as who the best players are? aside from one or two positions. I'm not calling for him to be fired but clearly now he is under pressure. I think he underestimated Jamaica. Overall I still think the U.S. were the better side and even had a good method of attack, but the first goal was weak. Bad on brooks and everyone else who should not have let a Jamaican touch the ball. I really think Gonzalez needs to be out there with or for brooks. After that point the team basically lost their composure. Guzan made critical errors one with the handball and his pass was terrible anyway. He is good at turning over clean outlet balls. The second half was all us but the last 15 mins of exclusive long ball was baffling when they had been dominating the midfield play but lacked the striker finish all game long.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree it backfired and what do we really know moving forward as far as who the best players are? aside from one or two positions. I'm not calling for him to be fired but clearly now he is under pressure. I think he underestimated Jamaica. Overall I still think the U.S. were the better side and even had a good method of attack, but the first goal was weak. Bad on brooks and everyone else who should not have let a Jamaican touch the ball. I really think Gonzalez needs to be out there with or for brooks. After that point the team basically lost their composure. Guzan made critical errors one with the handball and his pass was terrible anyway. He is good at turning over clean outlet balls. The second half was all us but the last 15 mins of exclusive long ball was baffling when they had been dominating the midfield play but lacked the striker finish all game long.

I think we know a lot more about some of our players than we did going into the tournament. Fabian Johnson is without a doubt our best LB. Bedoya's defensive skills shows that he belongs as well. Brooks is bound to make one or two defensive lapses in the game. Johannson definitely belongs up front and starting. Guzan was ok, but Howard is clearly our #1 keeper. We win that game with him in the net.

With that said, we still have a lot to see about the midfield pairing with Bradley. We still need to figure out if Zardes is the right guy up front to go with or besides Altidore.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't think I get Fox Sports 2 to watch the third place match. It is a useless match anyway. Who cares about third place in the Gold Cup?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Whatever corner we turned before this tournament is now a great big uturn. What a collection of misfits.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I wish someone from US Soccer would explain how Chris Wondolowski is one of the 23 best for US soccer and gets time in major tournaments.

Brooks and Ream were both dumpster fires yesterday and Corona was playing out of position and it showed.

Gulati already announced JK is safe even if he loses the one game playoff in October.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think we know a lot more about some of our players than we did going into the tournament. Fabian Johnson is without a doubt our best LB. Bedoya's defensive skills shows that he belongs as well. Brooks is bound to make one or two defensive lapses in the game. Johannson definitely belongs up front and starting. Guzan was ok, but Howard is clearly our #1 keeper. We win that game with him in the net.

With that said, we still have a lot to see about the midfield pairing with Bradley. We still need to figure out if Zardes is the right guy up front to go with or besides Altidore.

Good post! I wish I saw it sooner. I agree totally. Honestly I think zardes has surpassed jozy. Jozy is lazy and is more into lifting Weights than he is running. Someone needs to intervene. Zardes is a true runner and is clever with his first touch. I think AJ also belongs up front. Dempsey for me looked as good as ever but how many years does he have. Bradley needs to be behind the play and pick his spots to get forward. He is not a true #10. Honestly that is what we lack. I think our youth on the back four is not solid currently but they are young and could be good. And a lot of the inconsistency has to be blamed on JK for not pairing the same guys. He has got to change that. There is hope there. I agree Howard is our keeper. But who is going to be our number 10? Dempsey? No. Hopefully we will find one.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I wish someone from US Soccer would explain how Chris Wondolowski is one of the 23 best for US soccer and gets time in major tournaments.

Brooks and Ream were both dumpster fires yesterday and Corona was playing out of position and it showed.

Gulati already announced JK is safe even if he loses the one game playoff in October.

I agree about wondo. Good lord.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good post! I wish I saw it sooner. I agree totally. Honestly I think zardes has surpassed jozy. Jozy is lazy and is more into lifting Weights than he is running. Someone needs to intervene. Zardes is a true runner and is clever with his first touch. I think AJ also belongs up front. Dempsey for me looked as good as ever but how many years does he have. Bradley needs to be behind the play and pick his spots to get forward. He is not a true #10. Honestly that is what we lack. I think our youth on the back four is not solid currently but they are young and could be good. And a lot of the inconsistency has to be blamed on JK for not pairing the same guys. He has got to change that. There is hope there. I agree Howard is our keeper. But who is going to be our number 10? Dempsey? No. Hopefully we will find one.

Our lack of a true 10 is a big big problem I agree.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Klinsmann puts Guzan in goal instead of Howard for the Mexico match. If Guzan has a bad game and the US lose, a LOT of pressure will be on him.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Klinsmann puts Guzan in goal instead of Howard for the Mexico match. If Guzan has a bad game and the US lose, a LOT of pressure will be on him.

To be honest it doesn't matter who is in goal if the back line looks like garbage again (particularly the center backs).

Stout

Reaction score
WTF? What the eff kind of lineup is this? And Jozy Altidore captaining the team tonight? Not happy about this, although I did find out that Bradley's not with the team, so that mitigates things just a teensy bit.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I'm gonna miss the game tonight. Heard joZy looks more fit?

Lucky you. We're garbage as a team right now. JK apparently has fallen in love with a few players and is convinced, against all reason, they're the ones who should start. If he doesn't park Besler and Cameron in central defense for the Mexico game, I might lose faith in him.

And, you know what? I don't want to see Yedlin near the field until he develops even an iota of smarts and maturity out there. Two times last night, I went, "Man, that's a bad giveaway by Yedlin", only to see Brazil score on the counter. TWO GOALS AGAINST that idiot kid was directly responsible for instigating. All the speed in the world isn't going to do him any good if he craps the bed with it.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just an ugly, ugly match. The US back line has never been full of attacking talent but they always defended fairly well, now it is just a hot mess back there.

JK has 1 game to convince me he should still be the USMNT coach--he fails versus Mexico and he should be fired.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The back line struggled, but it was central MF that caused the biggest issues. Brazil did whatever they wanted in that area. Bradley is infuriating to watch, along with Jozy. Workrate looked terrible, little to no pressure, and poor tactical awareness. I know Brazil is good and they have a ton of talent, but I saw very little fight from a number of players out there. Who was Jones yelling at when he got subbed off? Bradley? Jozy hardly moves out there, and there's no pressing from the forward players. Is that by design?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Lucky you. We're garbage as a team right now. JK apparently has fallen in love with a few players and is convinced, against all reason, they're the ones who should start. If he doesn't park Besler and Cameron in central defense for the Mexico game, I might lose faith in him.

And, you know what? I don't want to see Yedlin near the field until he develops even an iota of smarts and maturity out there. Two times last night, I went, "Man, that's a bad giveaway by Yedlin", only to see Brazil score on the counter. TWO GOALS AGAINST that idiot kid was directly responsible for instigating. All the speed in the world isn't going to do him any good if he craps the bed with it.

ha I saw a replay of the first half on AFN and it was hard to watch. the beginning was ok, but I fell asleep before I could bear to watch the rest after the first goal by brazil. I just hope they find some type of magic vs mexico that isn't there currently. for whatever reason historically they seem to find a way vs. mexico, but this game is in northern mexico a place where they have a lot of confidence as opposed to other more pro usa places. I do have faith the outlaws will show up and be loud, but there are so many questions right now and klinsmann who I have historically backed has really struggled to find any type of consistency with his lineups especially in the back. I see the talent with brooks and gonzo, but he needs to find his two best guys and stick with them. give them a chance to get some confidence and chemistry. right now there is no continuity and they clearly lack confidence or direction.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
to me this is a mistake unless howard has expressed that he does not want to return. if howard is willing to play and JK opted otherwise then he is taking an unnecessary gamble. I know he did this before in Germany and it worked out or whatever...but why leave off a guy who is possibly your best player. a guy who showed against Belgium at clear top 5 team in the world that he can win you a game in spite of a weak central pairing in front of him. I wish howard would play in this one because he could win this game for them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake