The Official US Soccer thread

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What a frustrating match. If asked beforehand, yes, I'd take this result, and we did play better in the 2nd half, but damn. WTF, Bradley? How can you be so good most of the time and completely turn to crap others? Rather than make the position his own, Ream was exposed and even had to be withdrawn, it was that bad. Yedlin certainly isn't ready. We NEED a left back too, because Johnson's so much better up front. Zardes leaks the ball constantly, had a few bright spots, but then absolutely choked on the big one. Frustrating match.

With many of our big name players in MLS and not challenging themselves to play at the top leagues of their ability, it's not particularly surprising that they aren't especially sharp.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Bradley struggling to string together passes and Zardes choking was the only frustrating parts of the game for me really. T&T is an underrated team. The same team that held Mexico to 2 draws.

Let's beat up on Guatemala in March and qualify for the hex.

They're tough, yes, and the result is fine, but we have a tough test ahead of us. We're on 4 points and Guatemala is on 3. The next game is away to Guatemala, and a misstep there puts them on 6 and us on 4, needing the final win to possibly advance to the hex. Ugh.

With many of our big name players in MLS and not challenging themselves to play at the top leagues of their ability, it's not particularly surprising that they aren't especially sharp.

TRUTH.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

I honestly don't know what to make of MLS growth. I see a lot of people saying it is hurting US Soccer especially JK. but I think that is a crutch to grab during a tough spell. the fact is growth of our domestic league should be encouraged and it should help us not hurt us. Many of our players would not be featured on their clubs overseas anyway. Now Dempsey was an exception and we see Fabian Johnson featuring for his team as well as brooks and a few others. but those guys haven't played so great for the USA either...aside from Dempsey. at times Johnson has done well, but the heat seems to where on the euro based players. and jozy(perhaps our most promising young striker) didn't do much of anything in the EPL or La Liga. I think much of our struggles aren't the fact that are players are being hurt by playing in MLS. A lot of our struggles are that Concacaf has grown because of MLS. it has been a double edged sword for us because many of these players from our region are getting playing time in MLS. now we see Mexican and other internationals coming over. even if they are past their prime they are still quality guys and it is growing the game in our region causing higher competition that our guys did not have once. now we have to worry about teams beating us that we did not have to before. I mean when was the last time that we were worried about losing a coach if we lost to Trinidad and Tobago which I have little doubt if we did he would be gone.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Personally, I still find MLS soccer to be an absolute joke. None of these teams could hack it in the third division of the BPL IMO. Heck, the Spanish second division would be an embarrassment as well. And I believe it is mostly due to the horribly inferior defensive talent and coaching in the MLS.

No relegation, not on the international schedule, sub par talent, & turf.

I try to check in from time to time but , I haven't been able to watch a full game on TV for years.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I honestly don't know what to make of MLS growth. I see a lot of people saying it is hurting US Soccer especially JK. but I think that is a crutch to grab during a tough spell. the fact is growth of our domestic league should be encouraged and it should help us not hurt us. Many of our players would not be featured on their clubs overseas anyway. Now Dempsey was an exception and we see Fabian Johnson featuring for his team as well as brooks and a few others. but those guys haven't played so great for the USA either...aside from Dempsey. at times Johnson has done well, but the heat seems to where on the euro based players. and jozy(perhaps our most promising young striker) didn't do much of anything in the EPL or La Liga. I think much of our struggles aren't the fact that are players are being hurt by playing in MLS. A lot of our struggles are that Concacaf has grown because of MLS. it has been a double edged sword for us because many of these players from our region are getting playing time in MLS. now we see Mexican and other internationals coming over. even if they are past their prime they are still quality guys and it is growing the game in our region causing higher competition that our guys did not have once. now we have to worry about teams beating us that we did not have to before. I mean when was the last time that we were worried about losing a coach if we lost to Trinidad and Tobago which I have little doubt if we did he would be gone.

This is exactly why they need to be over there. Being a star in a putrid league does nothing to help you grow as a player. All it does is inflate egos and eliminate competition.

I believe that Bradley, Dempsey, & Jozy have all gotten worse (Richer, but worse) since they came back home. I don't blame them (money talks) but it certainly isn't doing our national team any favors.

Stout

Reaction score
This is exactly why they need to be over there. Being a star in a putrid league does nothing to help you grow as a player. All it does is inflate egos and eliminate competition.

I believe that Bradley, Dempsey, & Jozy have all gotten worse (Richer, but worse) since they came back home. I don't blame them (money talks) but it certainly isn't doing our national team any favors.

I agree 100 percent. One of the things I really agree with JK on.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Personally, I still find MLS soccer to be an absolute joke. None of these teams could hack it in the third division of the BPL IMO. Heck, the Spanish second division would be an embarrassment as well. And I believe it is mostly due to the horribly inferior defensive talent and coaching in the MLS.

No relegation, not on the international schedule, sub par talent, & turf.

I try to check in from time to time but , I haven't been able to watch a full game on TV for years.
What absolute nonsense. Utter utter nonsense.

I don't even know what the 3rd division of the BPL is, so I can imagine you haven't ever watched much of it.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
What absolute nonsense. Utter utter nonsense.

I don't even know what the 3rd division of the BPL is, so I can imagine you haven't ever watched much of it.
I think it is called league one. And yes.... I think Burton, Coventry, Millwall, and Wigan could all compete in the MLS.

I definitely wouldn't consider it nonsense after that ugly final filled with crappy officiating and even crappier goalkeeping.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is called league one. And yes.... I think Burton, Coventry, Millwall, and Wigan could all compete in the MLS.

I definitely wouldn't consider it nonsense after that ugly final filled with crappy officiating and even crappier goalkeeping.

+1

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Yeah, I just disagree. Practicing and playing everyday against top competition is what makes you a better player. Even if not featured, I feel like these players are more likely to improve by playing with the best.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah, I just disagree. Practicing and playing everyday against top competition is what makes you a better player. Even if not featured, I feel like these players are more likely to improve by playing with the best.

Not just practicing though, they have to play consistently. I'd much rather have our players play in MLS than sit on the bench in Europe...and not just anywhere in Europe, because playing in Finland, Norway etc is not any better than playing here.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

So you are telling me you watch Burton, Coventry, Millwall and Wigan enough to be able to compare them to MLS? Seriously?

Not gonna argue about officiating though, CONCACAF officials are notoriously bad, not just in MLS but throughout the region.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Not just practicing though, they have to play consistently. I'd much rather have our players play in MLS than sit on the bench in Europe...and not just anywhere in Europe, because playing in Finland, Norway etc is not any better than playing here.

Agreed...it has to be the right situation/fit. But the goal of every player in the system should be to start on as good a team as possible.

Guys like Bradley/Jozy are not doing it, and the results are obvious.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Agreed...it has to be the right situation/fit. But the goal of every player in the system should be to start on as good a team as possible.

Guys like Bradley/Jozy are not doing it, and the results are obvious.

In Jozy's case it isn't like his international career went downhill when he signed back with Toronto FC, it was already on a downward trajectory. He was having success in Holland but that isn't a league known for their defensive prowess then he was a disaster in England (both stints) and his confidence had to have taken a hit, MLS offered him big money--can't blame the guy for thinking it would help him get his club career back on track.

I am not sure what the deal was with Bradley, he was playing fairly regularly in Italy for a big club. I know MLS offered him a larger contract but I would have thought he would have been able to get something comparable in Europe.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So you are telling me you watch Burton, Coventry, Millwall and Wigan enough to be able to compare them to MLS? Seriously?

Not gonna argue about officiating though, CONCACAF officials are notoriously bad, not just in MLS but throughout the region.

They play in the FA Cup. I also watch a bit online. Wigan was one of my teams when they were up in the BPL. And of course Fulham is down there as well. Dempsey probably gave them a few new US fans.

The point is..... YES. I believe they can definitely compete in the MLS. I have seen way too much damn soccer in my life to know what good, bad, & ugly team play looks like. Especially since I moved to the east coast in 2007.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
In Jozy's case it isn't like his international career went downhill when he signed back with Toronto FC, it was already on a downward trajectory. He was having success in Holland but that isn't a league known for their defensive prowess then he was a disaster in England (both stints) and his confidence had to have taken a hit, MLS offered him big money--can't blame the guy for thinking it would help him get his club career back on track.

I am not sure what the deal was with Bradley, he was playing fairly regularly in Italy for a big club. I know MLS offered him a larger contract but I would have thought he would have been able to get something comparable in Europe.

I don't blame either for the decisions they've made - they were quite practical. That still doesn't change the fact that both of them have been in worse form since they came back to MLS. If you're focus is to be at your best, you need to play with and against the best. That's not possible in MLS.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't blame either for the decisions they've made - they were quite practical. That still doesn't change the fact that both of them have been in worse form since they came back to MLS. If you're focus is to be at your best, you need to play with and against the best. That's not possible in MLS.

I disagree that Jozys form got worse once he came back, it had already dropped significantly while he embarrassed himself in England. He hasn't been the same player since his confidence was sky high while playing in Holland. He came back to MLS hoping to regain his confidence and form and that didn't happen.

Bradley yes though...His quality of play has fallen since he went to Toronto FC

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They play in the FA Cup. I also watch a bit online. Wigan was one of my teams when they were up in the BPL. And of course Fulham is down there as well. Dempsey probably gave them a few new US fans.

The point is..... YES. I believe they can definitely compete in the MLS. I have seen way too much damn soccer in my life to know what good, bad, & ugly team play looks like. Especially since I moved to the east coast in 2007.

Take it from somebody who has been to watch all of those teams in person, they would be at the bottom of the MLS.

Fulham are light years away from where they were when Dempsey was with them. Wigan had back to back relegations, so I'm not sure what their Prem days mean.

Also, the FA cup? What on earth does that have to do with being able to compete in a league over a season? Burton lost to my local team, Peterborough in the first round. If you're trying to say Peterborough could be at the MLS level?! Millwall and Coventry also didn't make the third round.

It seems to me that you have watched a few games of the lower leagues and have decided you're an expert on that level. Try sticking it out year on year and you'll see what the standard is.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that MLS is the problem, at least as far as those three players are concerned. Dempsey's 32 and has been injured some, and the last time he played with the US he's been his usual self. Altidore has always been a hot and cold player for the US, whether in MLS or Europe (England obviously didn't go well for him). He's one who's taken too much flak from the US fanbase anyhow, considering he's 4th all time (soon to be 3rd) in goals. Bradley however is a hard one to figure out. Maybe he's just been miscast by Klinsmann, maybe it's MLS, maybe he's starting to age.

I think a bigger concern is how long it's been since the US has found a new guaranteed, unequivocal starter. I.e. a Donovan or Bradley where you know they're playing without thinking about it. Nobody has cemented themselves as a mainstay since perhaps Fabian Johnson. The closest recently has been Zardes who has been decent but not one to change games.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Agreed it can't be all hung on MLS.

Dempsey is on the decline due to age.

Until Jozy stops believing he is a creative, finesse player and realizes he should be a physical, target forward... it will always be more of the same.

Bradley has probably reached his peak. There is nothing wrong with being a very good player, but when Michael is seen as one of the US best the mediocre talent of others is reflected poorly toward him.

Also agree with the US talent pool. There are a number of youngsters (Wood, Morris, etc.) that are exciting, but other then Yedlin there have been no roster "locks" for many years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that MLS is the problem, at least as far as those three players are concerned. Dempsey's 32 and has been injured some, and the last time he played with the US he's been his usual self. Altidore has always been a hot and cold player for the US, whether in MLS or Europe (England obviously didn't go well for him). He's one who's taken too much flak from the US fanbase anyhow, considering he's 4th all time (soon to be 3rd) in goals. Bradley however is a hard one to figure out. Maybe he's just been miscast by Klinsmann, maybe it's MLS, maybe he's starting to age.

I think a bigger concern is how long it's been since the US has found a new guaranteed, unequivocal starter. I.e. a Donovan or Bradley where you know they're playing without thinking about it. Nobody has cemented themselves as a mainstay since perhaps Fabian Johnson. The closest recently has been Zardes who has been decent but not one to change games.

Hard to argue any of this, especially the last paragraph. No one even Johnson or Zardes fits the bill. Johnson was recently kicked off of the team and Zardes as good as he was early to mid 2015, faltered at the end. This is why I want to see someone like Zelalem or Morris start early and often with this team, as those are the two that I could see holding their respective positions for 8-10 years.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diskerud's response regarding Wambach's comments on "foreign born players." Good for Mix.

Wow Abby,

I guess there are pros and cons in limiting the base for selection.

You have just singled out a few of us. But why? Why are we your single oddballs?

Think about who you try to disenfranchise. Because if you see us as the group to disenfranchise, then at least let it be known who we are.

Stats and history will show - "our group" has more than others produced volunteer and defending soldiers for what, by us, is willingly chosen and gathered to be worth protecting: Your nation.
Wish you would accept it as ours too.
I know we're not quite equal. From "your group of people" the country's Commander in Chief need to be selected. However, other than that - you and I share something not unique, but constitutionally earned, a birthright to defend this nation as an American. Wherever we go. Led by whoever has earned, by democratic process, his/her right to lead, on or off the field, in peace, in war, in practice, or in any other kind of pursuit of your happiness.

Enjoy your retirement. But stay active. We all need you. Oddballs or not.
Mix
http://www.espnfc.com/united-states/story/2761033/us-mix-diskerud-responds-to-abby-wambachs-comments

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
24 hours... all she had to do was stay silent or quote the "Athlete's Guide to Cliches" for 24 hours and everyone would have remembered Abby Wambach as one of the greatest players in the game. She has meant so much to her sport, to her national team, and to women around the world. That is how she should have been remembered.

Abby decided the attention focused on her would be better used to attack the Men's team, and all those dirty half-breed foreigners on their squad. Instead of everyone remembering the retirement of a great icon, some will now only think of the stereotype image of a man-hating dyke with an agenda of rage.

Stout

Reaction score
24 hours... all she had to do was stay silent or quote the "Athlete's Guide to Cliches" for 24 hours and everyone would have remembered Abby Wambach as one of the greatest players in the game. She has meant so much to her sport, to her national team, and to women around the world. That is how she should have been remembered.

Abby decided the attention focused on her would be better used to attack the Men's team, and all those dirty half-breed foreigners on their squad. Instead of everyone remembering the retirement of a great icon, some will now only think of the stereotype image of a man-hating dyke with an agenda of rage.

Yep. What a moron.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

I think you can make a case both ways. I agree with JK and others that say that USA players should strive to play in Europe. because the quality is clearly better there...that is no question. but at what point do guys get in over their head? is it better to not play on a team in Europe or to start on a team in the MLS? I think that could be argued both ways, but what side of the argument is going to prove that the USA national team is better off either way? We've had a ton of guys over the years play in Europe and what difference has it made compared to the way things are today? maybe the 2002 team was an exception because they did have a lot of euro based guys. but so did 2006 and that team fell on its face.

what's the point of a young guy like deandre Yedlin not playing in matches? look at landon Donovan...he finally realized that he was at his best in California regardless of what others said about him. it was not until he was older and mature enough to play on a everton team and he finally had success in europe. I'm not saying that US players should just stay home at all costs...just saying that they need to be realistic with their opportunities and go somewhere that they will push themselves, but also play minutes. I do not agree with players like Bradley, Dempsey, and altiodore coming back to the US when they actually could have played in Europe somewhere if they wanted to. But the MLS landscape is changing very fast and I don't blame those guys for chasing money because it is their once chance to make it for their family. the MLS is slowly becoming an international destination especially for CONCACAF that is getting much stronger outside of MEX/USA. I still think our guys need to strive to be on the best teams in the world, we just are not there yet as far as having guys that are capable of that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake