The Official US Soccer thread

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Then, were I in charge of the UK national team, you wouldn't be on it. Protesting in the NFL or other leagues is one thing; disrespecting the national anthem while playing for that team is quite another.
Why? It's a song. It's not the country.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Right, but it's still just a piece of music. It doesn't make you love your country more by singing it or liking it.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
US Roster for upcoming friendlies....

GOALKEEPERS: David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Ethan Horvath (Molde FK), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

DEFENDERS: Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle)

MIDFIELDERS: Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Lynden ***** (Sunderland), Perry Kitchen (Hearts), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Danny Williams (Reading)

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Hamburg SV)

Why on Earth is Wondolowski getting called in?

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Liked what I saw during the Olympic qualifiers in Horvath. Big kid with solid fundamentals. Was afraid Yarbrough had fallen out of favor; he has amazing feet for a shot stopper. Like to see more of Arriola, and hope Kitchen or Danny Williams can take the Jermaine Jones role. Never heard of ***** and would love to hear the opinions of Sunderland fans. Hopefully, Morris and Wood will be paired together for the majority of the time. Pulisic and Green on the Wings would be exciting to watch.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
US 2 (Wondoboner, Green) - Cuba 0. You will never see a more dispassionate walk-thru of players not wanting to get injured on a Third World cow pasture, ever.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
Why on Earth is Wondolowski getting called in?
With the exception of Green (knowing he had to show reasons for future call-ups) and Horvath (wanting to prove he deserves to be in the mix of the top 3 Keepers) Wondo was the only one on the pitch that displayed any pride representing the National team. I will never be able to forget his Belgium *****, but after yesterday, I can appreciate why a manager would want Wondo in the locker room and on the training field.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
With the exception of Green (knowing he had to show reasons for future call-ups) and Horvath (wanting to prove he deserves to be in the mix of the top 3 Keepers) Wondo was the only one on the pitch that displayed any pride representing the National team. I will never be able to forget his Belgium *****, but after yesterday, I can appreciate why a manager would want Wondo in the locker room and on the training field.

He also knew he's in the last hurrah stages of his career, so of course he played all-out. Look, I get that he's good in the locker room and on the training pitch, but that shouldn't mean he gets to suck up a roster spot when it's time for the real games.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I really like what I've seen from klejstan. Of all the players I've seen lately he has looked the most impressive just because I thought he was done for the us side. and with Clint out and jozy/wood/or Morris likely to pair up top in some manner I imagine he has a role in the attacking midfield. Pulisic also fits on either wing or center and I was impressed with ***** today on the right. but I doubt it was enough for him to play vs mex if JK has the full arsenal of his mainstays.

On a side note I heard on the telecast today that nagbe asked to stay home with family during this camp. So that means he is probably done for a while if not for good...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HUGE blow for the US--Geoff Cameron is out for our two upcoming qualifiers. Ouch.

I thought the exact same thing. He is by far our best defender and passer out of the back. Huge blow.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WCQ roster

Goalkeepers (4): Brad Guzan (Middlesbrough), Ethan Horvath (Molde), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

Defenders (9): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca),Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United)

Midfielders (9): Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Lynden ***** (Sunderland), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Caleb Stanko (FC Vaduz), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Aron Johannsson (Werder Bremen), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Bobby Wood (Hamburg)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Can't wait for Friday. I will be on the 3rd row behind the goal. My friends and I leave Thurs morning.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dang it! Cameron and Morris injuries are going to hurt.
I think the Cameron injury sucks the most, but you can make the case that morris could have started with how much wood has struggled of late(suspended etc). but I do like wood paired with jozy. interested to see if Yedlin starts or not. some are saying chandler will start in his normal place and he could move up in the midfield. I would rather see Bedoya in the midfield and Yedlin come in later for him or chandler.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
man that was a kick in the nuts. got complacent. I thought they really came out strong in the second half and sent off one of our better players (at least in the 2nd)chandler for Yedlin who did nothing. chandler started slow but he and Johnson really had it going there for a while. then we went with orosco instead of going for the win so we get the loss for playing for the draw. I felt like you should bring off jones or Bradley and bring in Bedoya or klejstan. beesler was solid, but he looked over matched and I felt like JK brought him off because all of his fouling.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
US vs Costa Rica on some channel nobody gets thanks to the most powerful people in global soccer also being the stupidest.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
Tim Chandler was so incredibly out of position, Gonzalez and Brooks seemed more interested in being exasperated then covering the attack. Costa Rica 1 - 0 at Half. 45 minutes of little effort, and less skill.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
Tim Chandler unable to mark his man on the cross. Costa Rica 2 - 0. Have I mentioned how much I dislike Chandler?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake