The Official US Soccer thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
For all of the bragging about the quality of mexico(after the Azteca match) that the Mexican supporters were doing...and I will be the first to say I thought they had a point....I'd also say now that the Mexican fans should be humbled by their showing in the confed cup. Honestly I think Bruce Arena, while I don't agree with his tactics 100%, he knows to let his players frustrate them and play for the counter. JK did the same thing at times it just went under the radar.

I would imagine with an even weaker team in this tournament he would go a step farther in that regard. with that said it's not beyond the relm that those two won't even meet in this tournament. the USA or Mexico could both fall to other opponents with the form both are in.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight's match against El Salvador featured two instances of biting, one nipple twisting, and zero red cards. Just bizarre.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
We won. The ref/refs sucked, El Salvador played well but were a bunch of asshats, and we're still not very good.
What are your thoughts on Costa Rica. I still think we should beat them at home. But should and will...

What about the pitch? The last match at that stadium the Mexicans were very upset and lost a player to injury.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Costa Rica. I still think we should beat them at home. But should and will...

What about the pitch? The last match at that stadium the Mexicans were very upset and lost a player to injury.

I'm not sure how they've been playing at the Gold Cup. Based on how we've been playing, I'm not holding out a ton of hope.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They looked quite a bit better with Nagbe in the middle, but the team was still often missing that final pass.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I'm going to try to watch the match tonight. But a 3am kickoff is rough.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Clint Dempsey. Bad ass.
That was a clever free kick. He's really got something going with that aspect. I actually think Clint can be an asset if he accepts dropping back. That through ball to jozy is what he needs to do to keep getting mins.

Stout

Reaction score
By far our best performance. Nagbe is nails. We were still often missing that critical touch (I'm really looking at you, Arreola), but much, much better.

Go Jamaica!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
It's too hard to watch USA soccer here unless they come on early in the day Over there. And my AFN is out so I can't see the replays either. Such a shame to miss the last two matches.

Glad to see altidore and others step up when needed. Jozy had some beastly efforts on goal. This is the way our team should be performing. Let the European based players recover and compete for their club roster spots in the summer and rely on the MLS players for the national side. Bottom line they out performed their concacaf foes on home soil as they should. Maybe one day Mexico should offer to host the tournament so that everyone can get acclimated to their friendly environment...

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's too hard to watch USA soccer here unless they come on early in the day Over there. And my AFN is out so I can't see the replays either. Such a shame to miss the last two matches.

Glad to see altidore and others step up when needed. Jozy had some beastly efforts on goal. This is the way our team should be performing. Let the European based players recover and compete for their club roster spots in the summer and rely on the MLS players for the national side. Bottom line they out performed their concacaf foes on home soil as they should. Maybe one day Mexico should offer to host the tournament so that everyone can get acclimated to their friendly environment...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Browse that subreddit for other replays as well.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

Browse that subreddit for other replays as well.
Thanks!

I got to see the replay and it was a good match for the USA. Not too many chances for Jamaica as they sat back much of the time. A slow start hard to watch until the second half the USA finally broke the Jamaican defense. Dempsey unlucky to break Landon's record. It might have to come from the penalty spot in a qualifier ;)

I thought the pitch was poor or at least looked that way to me. USA surrender another set piece goal due to poor marking by Morris.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the FIFA rankings but this is one of the more accurate ones to be fair. I see the USA at about 20 with the potential to break top 15 legitimately in the next 10 years. Now they have broken into the top 10 once before believe it or not(garbage stat) but as we all know they had an engine flameout upon takeoff in he 2006 WC.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
So a huge pairing of qualifying matches upcoming. They need 3 points at home vs Costa Rica to take the edge off. Anything can happen at Honduras but a result should be expected there as well... The boys come in with some top players out or unfit. The back line is the worry and Fabian as a make shift defender is off the table it seems. So maybe chandler needs to step in and step up to his potential. A lot of pressure on Cameron/Bradley and nagbe/Pulisic to hold possession. Also maybe need Dempsey and altidore to drop deeper at times like they both did well in the gold cup.

Maybe the loss of brooks and Gonzalez will give Cameron a chance to really prove his worth to this squad. I've really been pleased with Cameron's play at stoke and he is sometimes on the attack. For me he has to be one of our top players to get Pts out of these games.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Stout

Reaction score
Really, REALLY wish Yedlin was fit, both for club and country. It's killing Newcastle not to have him right now, and Zusi is AWFUL at right back.

Also not a fan of Ream getting the start, but no idea what the injury situation is like, so that's probably the reason. No Besler?

The rest of the lineup looks good to me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake