The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Aside from the idiotic starting lineup (just trying to mail it in, coach?) and the ass ref--oh, and the ass park-the-bus tactics for most of the second half--that was an awesome game. A great result for the USMNT, and it might just be a crucial point by the end of qualifying.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Aside from the idiotic starting lineup (just trying to mail it in, coach?) and the ass ref--oh, and the ass park-the-bus tactics for most of the second half--that was an awesome game. A great result for the USMNT, and it might just be a crucial point by the end of qualifying.
I agree. But I think that was always the plan. Get ahead early and defend late and play only to counter. It's just unfortunate that our easiest chance to score in the game led to a brilliant counter strike by vela. And I always knew Beasley would be assisting on a goal for them.

Arena said in post game that they planned this for weeks and that he went with guzan over Howard because he knew he would need to kick the ball a lot more than normal. So he always wanted to park the bus in the second half. Maybe a return to the past and a vintage performance if you will. But not much different Than when JK was here. For all of his talk of attacking football you only have to look to the belgium, Germany WC games or even the last game at Azteca with the 0-0 draw where we parked the bus even earlier. What is frustrating is there were attacking players on the bench and this US team have the quality to attack more than they did. I think it was just the quick turnaround and lack of fitness by some players that led to the result.

Stout

Reaction score
The starting lineup was not idiotic, it was strategic.

Strategically BAD, yes. Not the whole line-up, but there were some really confusing and justifiably wrong choices in there. I actually think we were lucky to be playing there, because fan impatience pretty much saved our bacon. Well, that and a terrible hiccup that gifted us a goal. Negative tactics and negative lineup selections are NOT the way forward.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I agree with stout. In particular with GuzAn and Beasley. He left better quality on the bench. You changed the formation to defend but put a weak defender on the left that helped give up a goal.

The 2 day turnaround hurts but does not excuse some of his choices for me. arena planned to play long ball in the second half. I personally hope that is not a long term or common tactic for him and was a one off due to the short turnaround.

Last edited:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
United States
The Americans got exactly the two results they wanted. Panama and Honduras are fourth and fifth in the table, making them the two challengers to the U.S. for the final automatic World Cup qualifying spot. Their draw meant that both teams dropped points and now the Americans have a one-point lead on Panama, with the remaining match between the two teams in the U.S., and a three-point lead on Honduras, who have a brutal finishing schedule with matches against the U.S., Costa Rica and Panama.
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/gallery/world-cup-qualifying-concacaf-usmnt-mexico-061417

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, they came so close to having an all time great. All of the stars make it really busy.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Gold cup roster just released. I like it
I wish Cameron carter vickers were called but he did just do the under 21 World Cup. What happened to Julian green and Gideon zelalem...I think both should consider a move to MLS assuming they could make a roster.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The U.S. roster for the upcoming Gold Cup contains some older elements but a whole lot of new as well. That's exactly how as it should be, too: Manager Bruce Arena named a 23-man roster for the biennial event with 16 players hailing from MLS clubs.

The edition of the Gold Cup just a year prior to the World Cup has historically been a time when U.S. managers have looked to experiment a bit and give opportunities to players with minimal national team experience. That is largely the case here. The team's Europe-based regulars are being given a deserved rest after lengthy club seasons, which has opened the door for 10 players who are working with Arena for the first time. Thirteen players picked have fewer than 10 caps.

There are some experienced players on the team as well, with a dozen who can boast prior World Cup qualifying experience. But the fact that four players -- a group that includes Gent midfielder Kenny Saief, New England Revolution midfielder Kelyn Rowe, Seattle Sounders midfielder Cristian Roldan and Sporting Kansas City forward Dom Dwyer -- will be taking part in their first U.S. national team camp shows the extent to which Arena is willing to mine the deeper regions of the U.S. player pool.
http://www.espnfc.com/team/united-s...lled-with-players-who-have-something-to-prove

Stout

Reaction score
We MUST do well at the GC. Looking at that roster, WILL we do well? Only if other teams send watered-down rosters too. While I understand that this is a "prove it" tournament for unproven young players, we've gone a bit overboard on them, IMO. We'd damn well better make it out of the group stage so we can expand and bring in some more experience, or this roster decision will blow up in Arenas' face.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gold cup roster just released. I like it
I wish Cameron carter vickers were called but he did just do the under 21 World Cup. What happened to Julian green and Gideon zelalem...I think both should consider a move to MLS assuming they could make a roster.

Pretty sure I saw somewhere that Gideon is hurt and not able to play.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
USA frustrated in sluggish draw with stingy Panama in Gold Cup opener

Last modified on Saturday 8 July 2017 19.36 EDT

Dom Dwyer scored for the second straight game but Miguel Camarago’s goal gave Panama a 1-1 tie Saturday against the United States, the first time the Americans failed to win their opener in the Concacaf Gold Cup.

After scoring in his US debut last weekend against Ghana, the England-born Dwyer put the Americans ahead in the 50th minute with a left-footed shot from 9 yards that went in off the far post. Dwyer, the husband of US women’s team forward Sydney Leroux, ran onto a cross from Kelyn Rowe following a throw-in by Jorge Villafana.

Panama put on immediate pressure, and Camargo sent a rebound past the outstretched right hand of Brad Guzan in the 60th minute after the goalkeeper saved an initial shot by Gabriel Torres that followed Edgar Barcenas’ cross.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/08/usa-panama-gold-cup-report

Stout

Reaction score
Really poor. Porous defense, fragile mentality, and not enough of a team to win the tourney. At this point, Mexico would crush us with one eyelash. We'll get out of the group, because the rest are minnows, but meh after that.

Stout

Reaction score
BA better get his crap together, pull his head out of his rear, and field a good team on Saturday. I get that you tinker with the lineup in the group stages at the Gold Cup, and give some youngsters a chance, but he damn near tinkered us to a draw--or a loss--last night. Idiotic. Unacceptable effort, and lucky to win--against frickin' Martinique.

If you're coming in at halftime and tell the sideline reporter you hope to wear Martinique--MARTINIQUE--down in the 2nd half, you are doing something massively wrong.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
wow I cannot watch the matches but 3-2 over Martinique? WTF...our womens team would beat them 3-2 ;)

Stout

Reaction score
Didn't get to see the game. Read that it was wholly underwhelming, but adequate. BA called in reinforcements, even before the game. Thankfully we did enough to win the group and avoid Mexico.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They avoided Costa Rica. Played ok I guess, except for having two penalties saved. Oof.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake