The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I have to say i'm pretty happy with the final 23. I'm not gonna lie, Ching not being there made me have a little sex wee.
Anyway, not too bothered about the Czech result. Let's see how we do with a stronger team out.

Turkey and especially Australia(as it is against a fellow WC team on a neutral field) will be a much better measure of our team's progress. Now that the final 23 is settled it is not about roster spots and trying out guys its about settling on who the best 11 are & where to put them on the field. My guess is the starting lineup we see against Australia will be pretty much the same on we see against the English(1 or 2 changes at most--based on effectiveness).

I am curious whether Gomez or Buddle starts with Altidore or if Dempsey or Donovan is forced from their more comfortable roles in the MF to play striker, how the defense lines up (Spector or Bocanegra on the left? Demerit or Bocanegra in the center?) and who plays in the central MF with Bradley (Edu? Clark? Feilhaber? Torres?).

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
One of the biggest things it has going for this thus far that the green of the field makes it one of the best looking HD sports broadcasts.

I am making it a point to watch all of the US matches in the WC this year. If this can't get me into soccer permanently, not much will.

I'm trying to talk my dad into it as well. Other major advantages of soccer, the crowds are nuts, and it's constant action...no commercial breaks is just glorious. In addition, as opposed to college football games, and really most sporting events these days, soccer matches are over in 2 hours.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to talk my dad into it as well. Other major advantages of soccer, the crowds are nuts, and it's constant action...no commercial breaks is just glorious. In addition, as opposed to college football games, and really most sporting events these days, soccer matches are over in 2 hours.

That is big. Being over in 2 hours is a big plus, although it's halftime and commercials that make other sports (other than baseball) more than 2 hours. NFL, NBA etc. is all DVR'd so I can skip those commercials, halftime.

I wouldn't agree that it is constant action though. Lots of passing around midfield to setup opportunities to advance.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't agree that it is constant action though. Lots of passing around midfield to setup opportunities to advance.

Yeah, but it's more like hockey, where every move is so important, because that one goal can be the difference between winning and losing. Especially in world cup matches, the intensity is off the charts.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So, realistically, what should I expect out of our team in South Africa? What would be considered a good showing?
Getting out of the group stages and into the round of 16. That should be considered success IMO.

With our key injuries on offense (Davies) and defense (Onyewu) I don't think we could expect anything more.

If we somehow beat the Brits, I still believe our team will lose to the #2 in group D.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man if we are #2 in Group and Serbia is #1 in D Serbia vs US will be very interesting in my half US half Serbian household.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man if we are #2 in Group and Serbia is #1 in D Serbia vs US will be very interesting in my half US half Serbian household.

Even with Ballack out, I dont see Serbia taking first place in the group.

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
If we somehow beat the Brits, I still believe our team will lose to the #2 in group D.

If we beat the Brits it would be a great boost for our squad. If we win that game it will do a lot for us to have the confidence beat ANY team this WC.

I hope for a draw, dream of a win vs.eng!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I like the 23 man roster. ching and johnson have had great opportunities and have not taken advantage. if something doesn't work several times, don't keep trying it. klejstan showed no consistency. I'm the other guys were clearly all bubble at best. I'm ok with keeping beasley eventhough I think he could have been cut. But he provides experience and some quality if depth becomes a factor. I'm not overly concerned with the loss to czechs. for the most part that was the same type of team that we fielded against mexico in the gold cup and the USA got worked then too. when you field a B team that is the type of result you are going to get sometimes.

I like the youth we have a striker. they are hungry guys that have proven that they can score and most importantly of all they don't lack confidence in the biggest moments. especially jozy...and who knows maybe these guys will provide a much needed spark. then you have dempsey and donovan who will play midfield no doubt because of the lack of quality in that regard, but they will have the freedom to slide up top at any point. so don't put too much stock into whether or not landon and clint play up front or not because they will get their chances in key moments.

I think our biggest fault though is not finding the world class striker. I think we have guys who can close the deal all over the field. the biggest fear I have the defense. we have no idea what's happening in the left back. we know bornstein is not ready. bocanegra has done it, but it hasn't necessarily been a great success. spector has never done it for the National Team. cherrundolo on the right is promising getting in the attack at times, but often gets worked by other midfielders on quality teams. I would rather see spector on the right. then you have ***** who won't be 100%. Our defense is in shambles and howard will have to be out of his mind. Then our midfield....this is the key to our goalscoring. You have to create a chance before you can score, or we will just be relying on pure luck. and we know where that will get us...one and done. If the USA scores only 2 or 3 goals in the group stages we are doomed. the opportunities will start at the feet of the midfield. this midfield currently, outside of landon, doesn't appear to have the ability to both control the ball and provide quality service. holden shows some promise in the service dept, but does't show control on the ball necessarily. it just seems like donovan is the only guy that has the type of skill to excel at the WC level against other top quality players. I hope i'm wrong.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Even with Ballack out, I dont see Serbia taking first place in the group.
Germany seems to play strong no matter what their "REAL" expectations are going in. they have a lot of quality and can beat teams without their captain. I think germany could be the dark horse of the big power teams. so much pressure is on brazil, spain, and argentina. I feel like a team like germany, holland, england, can slay one or more of the giants. If the USA draws germany, they will just have to pull one out. the US did awesome against germany in 2002, but didn't get the hops to go their way.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'd really like someone to explain what the fascination is with Ricardo Clark? He can't distribute with any kind of accuracy, he tends to grab and flail as the opponent runs by (more often than not being called for a foul) and he stands around and watches way too often.

Bradley has been breaking up play after play and his midfield partner (Clark should immediately be available as an option and he rarely is.

Jozy and Feilhaber had about a moment a piece but haven't done much otherwise.

If it were me I'd bring in Edu for Clark, Holden for Feilhaber and Cherundolo for Spector...then I'd bring Onyewu in for Goodson around minute 60 and Gomez or Buddle for Altidore around the same point.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just saw the first half and Turkey just dominated it. I missed all but the last five minutes of the match, but it seemed that (shockingly) Bradley made some changes at the half (Torres) and really got the offense flowing.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bob Bradley's 1st half formation was a joke. Just keep it as a 4-4-2 and let the guys play. Findley showed why he belongs. Great pass to Donovan on the goal. He also stretched the defense.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I plan on going to NYC for that game!

The 4-4-2 is our game.... Put Findley & Jozy up there and let Landon and Dempsey make the smart decisions they usually do.

Landon & Clint were the best players on the pitch today. We will probably have that happen a lot over the next couple of months.

Findley really played that pitch shot perfectly forward. Great poise from him.

That first half was craptastic by the way.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I plan on going to NYC for that game!

The 4-4-2 is our game.... Put Findley & Jozy up there and let Landon and Dempsey make the smart decisions they usually do.

Landon & Clint were the best players on the pitch today. We will probably have that happen a lot over the next couple of months.

Findley really played that pitch shot perfectly forward. Great poise from him.

That first half was craptastic by the way.

Don't discount the play of Michael Bradley, he had a very good game and was more involved than Dempsey(yes I know Dempsey scored but for the full game Bradley played well--esp. when you consider he played against terrible Clark for a half).

I also still want to see Buddle or Gomez play with Altidore..hopefully we will see that against the Aussies. Findley played well but he is the weakest of our forward group.

I doubt Bradley starts Torres against the English--but he should.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Bob Bradley can start Torres with just how badly the defense is in disarray, I wouldn't be surprised to see Edu play next to Michael Bradley given how much better of a defensive player he is (although Torres played much better defensively today than he is usually known for). Or perhaps if Dempsey gets pushed up along side Altidore, see Torres start in center and have Beasley play left to help give cover for one of our glaringly overmatched outside backs.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Bob Bradley can start Torres with just how badly the defense is in disarray, I wouldn't be surprised to see Edu play next to Michael Bradley given how much better of a defensive player he is (although Torres played much better defensively today than he is usually known for). Or perhaps if Dempsey gets pushed up along side Altidore, see Torres start in center and have Beasley play left to help give cover for one of our glaringly overmatched outside backs.

I didn't see "glaringly overmatched outside backs"(aside from Bornstein), both Bocanegra & Cherundolo played well...Spector was not completely to blame on the Turkish goal he should have had cover when he made a forward run, it was likely Clark or Feilhaber's fault for being out of position(give Spector credit for the effort to get back there and attempt to win the ball), but Cherundolo is a better right back than Spector right now IMO.

Sometimes the best way to play defense is by controlling the ball. Torres was calm on the ball and distributed very well--the less our opponent has the ball the less our defense will be on it's heels. Bradley can continue being what he is, a disruptor(a role he plays quite well, when he isn't reckless). But if Edu starts next to Bradley I can live with that, I just don't want to see Clark unless he is in a late substitute role.

If they are going to push Dempsey up top, I think either Holden or Beasley needs to start (my preference is Holden), Feilhaber just isn't good enough. I think we'd be better served with Dempsey staying in the MF though as it seems he is more comfortable (and effective) there.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I've always had the opinion that Edu and Bradley should be the combo in the middle, but Torres' play yesterday has changed my mind. The tenacity and energy shown by Torres disrupted the possesion of the Turks. This type of play would allow Bradley the choice to fall back defensively, roam the passing lanes or confindently make forward runs. Having someone in the middle who constantly frustrates the opposition midfield can allow the backline to be more aggresive and gives the wings time to fall back and help defend.

Edu could then be a perfect late substitution for a forward, to protect a lead.

FAILhaber and Casper the friendly ghost Clark proved they should only be on the pitch if we cant find anyone in the stands who is better.

Very excited how the inexperienced forwards have stepped up. Gomez's goal and Findley's aggresiveness gives me hope. Would like to see Buddle paired with Altidore for 45 minutes against the Socceroos.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I've always had the opinion that Edu and Bradley should be the combo in the middle, but Torres' play yesterday has changed my mind. The tenacity and energy shown by Torres disrupted the possesion of the Turks. This type of play would allow Bradley the choice to fall back defensively, roam the passing lanes or confindently make forward runs. Having someone in the middle who constantly frustrates the opposition midfield can allow the backline to be more aggresive and gives the wings time to fall back and help defend.

Edu could then be a perfect late substitution for a forward, to protect a lead.

FAILhaber and Casper the friendly ghost Clark proved they should only be on the pitch if we cant find anyone in the stands who is better.

Very excited how the inexperienced forwards have stepped up. Gomez's goal and Findley's aggresiveness gives me hope. Would like to see Buddle paired with Altidore for 45 minutes against the Socceroos.
I was surprised to see feilhaber starting on the left. I think feilhaber may have missed on a opportunity to be in the starting lineup, but to his defense it is asking a lot of a guy to come in off injury and perform great right away. A year ago in the confed cup he was definitely in the mix to start or at least play a vital role off the bench. I think bradley was hoping to see that same performance, but at this point he is better served to come off the bench in the WC. He does bring some skill to the pitch, but I don't think I'd start him over stuart holden.. I think the USA needs more pace at the top. Jozy and Dempsey are a good pair, but I like how having a guy like findley(gomez or buddle) up top brings some good pace and can strech a defense. things seemed to open up a lot when findley came in the game. also clint can make his runs into the box and still be effective. so he still has that ability to play like a striker from the midfield. I thought cherrundolo played great as well. I know bradley needs to get mins for bocanegra, but I would like to see spector play on the left at some point to see how he fits there.

Last edited: