The Official US Soccer thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I've always had the opinion that Edu and Bradley should be the combo in the middle, but Torres' play yesterday has changed my mind. The tenacity and energy shown by Torres disrupted the possesion of the Turks. This type of play would allow Bradley the choice to fall back defensively, roam the passing lanes or confindently make forward runs. Having someone in the middle who constantly frustrates the opposition midfield can allow the backline to be more aggresive and gives the wings time to fall back and help defend.

Edu could then be a perfect late substitution for a forward, to protect a lead.

FAILhaber and Casper the friendly ghost Clark proved they should only be on the pitch if we cant find anyone in the stands who is better.

Very excited how the inexperienced forwards have stepped up. Gomez's goal and Findley's aggresiveness gives me hope. Would like to see Buddle paired with Altidore for 45 minutes against the Socceroos.
I think torres deserves the start right now. I have been very impressed by him everytime he has been on the pitch. While he has often been called, this was the first time I can recall that he had the opportunity to play with a top selection. Not only did he look like he belonged, the guy looked like he was the best player on the field. The midfield is the foundation of football...posession and defense is huge. Torres showed both of those qualities. He was tackling guys, winning one on one challenges, breaking guys ankles, and most importantly of all he looked calm on the ball(a rare quality for this team at times). You also can't ignore the play of bradley once torres got there. I agree about the clark lovefest. What has he done other than disappear when he's on the field? Seriously you never see the guy unless he's giving something up like bornstein. Connor Casey and frankie hejduk scored qualifying goals too...but where are they at? clark needs to be on the bench in favor of torres.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see "glaringly overmatched outside backs"(aside from Bornstein), both Bocanegra & Cherundolo played well...Spector was not completely to blame on the Turkish goal he should have had cover when he made a forward run, it was likely Clark or Feilhaber's fault for being out of position(give Spector credit for the effort to get back there and attempt to win the ball), but Cherundolo is a better right back than Spector right now IMO.

Sometimes the best way to play defense is by controlling the ball. Torres was calm on the ball and distributed very well--the less our opponent has the ball the less our defense will be on it's heels. Bradley can continue being what he is, a disruptor(a role he plays quite well, when he isn't reckless). But if Edu starts next to Bradley I can live with that, I just don't want to see Clark unless he is in a late substitute role.

If they are going to push Dempsey up top, I think either Holden or Beasley needs to start (my preference is Holden), Feilhaber just isn't good enough. I think we'd be better served with Dempsey staying in the MF though as it seems he is more comfortable (and effective) there.
Indeed. My comment on the outside backs was more towards recent play than just yesterday. Bocanegra and Cherundolo were fine, so hopefully that's who we will see against Australia. Completely agree with Cherundolo over Spector. If Torres can continue to play the way he did yesterday then the US probably doesn't need to add anymore defensive help to the midfield. I don't know how much stock to put into one performance, but he is sure picking the right time to find another level in his game.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I agree about the clark lovefest. What has he done other than disappear when he's on the field? Seriously you never see the guy unless he's giving something up like bornstein. Connor Casey and frankie hejduk scored qualifying goals too...but where are they at? clark needs to be on the bench in favor of torres.

Clark should be behind Torres & Edu on the depth chart. The guys is ineffective and reckless...plus I can't forget the red card in the Confed Cup or when he stomped on Carlos Ruiz' face in an MLS match. That WCQ where he did score he was terrible right up to when he hit that long distance beauty but that can't erase the rest of his match.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Indeed. My comment on the outside backs was more towards recent play than just yesterday. Bocanegra and Cherundolo were fine, so hopefully that's who we will see against Australia. Completely agree with Cherundolo over Spector. If Torres can continue to play the way he did yesterday then the US probably doesn't need to add anymore defensive help to the midfield. I don't know how much stock to put into one performance, but he is sure picking the right time to find another level in his game.

Torres is more than one performance though, off hand I can only think of one terrible game he has had (against Costa Rica). I've seen him play twice in person (his first cap against Cuba and against T&T) and the thing I came away with was he just never panics on the ball, he is very patient and deliberate, he knows where he wants to go with the ball and can usually hold the ball until that opens up for him.

Torres should have had every touch that Kljestan has had over the past year but Bradley sort of played favorites with Sacha. Ultimately though he couldn't overlook the better player.

Torres may not start against England--because of his lack of size--but I wouldn't be surprised if he started against Slovenia & Algeria.

Last edited:

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
You getting nervous yet?

I bloody am....:( :)

This is one of the reasons for excitement having England in the group with USA. The best scenario for the US to beat England would be to play them the first match when the pressure and nervousness would be at the highest. Every player with three lions on their chest goes in knowing that the expectations and emotions of every fan (world-wide) is so high that anything less than perfection, will be critisized. That kind of extream pressure could cause a slow start, which in turn could possibly turn into panic if things go poorly in the beginning.

Of course, most of us could be too drunk on USMNT kool-aid and end up watching England completely dominate the match with their world class talent at every position.

Either way, playing England the first game of the World Cup was beyond my greatest hope. So many non-fans in the States will tune in to watch this match that converting a number of them to the beautiful game is inevitable.

Prediction: With the return of the USA sash-jersey and the mysterious theft of the England kits, the English side is forced to wear blue replacement shirts. This mirror image of the 1950 match causes the outcome to be preordained: USA 1 - England Nil

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Altidore sprains his ankle. ARGH!!!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Altidore sprains his ankle. ARGH!!!

Diagnosed as a mild sprain. He still could play Saturday against the Aussies(pending a fitness test) but if it were me I wouldn't risk it June 12th is more important than June 5.

Might as well get Gomez & Buddle some valuable time too, they weren't brought along just to watch.

The things I am most interested in Saturday is where does Dempsey start at, who partners with Bradley and how much time Onyewu gets. Gonna be an early match 8:30 AM ET...hope it is not a snoozer.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diagnosed as a mild sprain. He still could play Saturday against the Aussies(pending a fitness test) but if it were me I wouldn't risk it June 12th is more important than June 5.

Might as well get Gomez & Buddle some valuable time too, they weren't brought along just to watch.

The things I am most interested in Saturday is where does Dempsey start at, who partners with Bradley and how much time Onyewu gets. Gonna be an early match 8:30 AM ET...hope it is not a snoozer.

I do hope to see Buddle and Gomez. I'll be sure to record the game on Saturday and watch it a little later.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I want to see more of findley. I thought his pace was a difference maker in the last game, but this is certainly a chance to see if gomez and buddle belong on the pitch. I must say i'm impressed by what gomez did in the liga mexicana.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Ok what is your starting lineup moving forward? Bradley has some things to sort out. You can't really blame him for not putting out the starting lineup before the england game, but that would have been nice. there are still plenty of questions, but most are because of injury.

My wishes:

Forward: Altidore pairing with buddle or gomez.(findley supplies a great sub with his pace, but doesn't seem to have the balls skills and finish that either of the other three have).

MF: Donovan, Bradley, Torres, Dempsey. Leave out clark please and use holden as a sub moving dempsey up. feilhaber is also another option in the center.

D: Cherrundolo, Spector, *****, Bocanegra

G: Howard

Should bradley consider changing his lineup with 5 midfielders...with jozy being the lone striker? I think it would be a late change at this point.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do hope to see Buddle and Gomez. I'll be sure to record the game on Saturday and watch it a little later.

USA wins 3-1 as Buddle scores two goals and Gomez the other. They should of had a couple of more goals but blew the chances. It seemed like Donovan and Dempsey were not playing all out and that is expected. They probably did not want to get hurt.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ok what is your starting lineup moving forward? Bradley has some things to sort out. You can't really blame him for not putting out the starting lineup before the england game, but that would have been nice. there are still plenty of questions, but most are because of injury.

My wishes:

Forward: Altidore pairing with buddle or gomez.(findley supplies a great sub with his pace, but doesn't seem to have the balls skills and finish that either of the other three have).

MF: Donovan, Bradley, Torres, Dempsey. Leave out clark please and use holden as a sub moving dempsey up. feilhaber is also another option in the center.

D: Cherrundolo, Spector, *****, Bocanegra

G: Howard

Should bradley consider changing his lineup with 5 midfielders...with jozy being the lone striker? I think it would be a late change at this point.

Lorenzo, I agree. I really wish Spector would have played the 2nd half, because Demerit was just crap. He just isn't in form at all and I don't want him on the field. Our defense is in trouble right now, save for Cherundalo.

Howard is a given. Cherundalo, ***** if healthy and Bocanegra are givens, and I think Spector should be in there.

As to the midfield, I think you hit it right on. We need Dempsey, Donovan, Torres and Bradley. Clark is worthless and should never see the pitch. Holden needs to be the sub off the bench.

We seem to have a lovely problem at forward suddenly. Buddle is in excellent form and I'd put him in the starting lineup...except that he's almost exactly an Altidore clone. Going in for game one? Maybe Altidore paired with Gomez, who is also in form. At least we won't have to go with one striker, as I thought we might. Man, who is the idiot who didn't want Buddle or Gomez? :D

Overall, I'm equal parts encouraged and scaret out of my wits. When moving forward, our midfield is making opportunities and our forwards have been scoring goals. Australia usually has an excellent defense and their team has been in good form, so that is encouraging. When we don't have possession in midfield, though, our midfielders are pretty much useless. Our defense is in complete disarray right now. Hopefully, with Ferdinand out, we can score enough to take a surprising victory, or manage a draw. Our defensive woes scare the crap out of me, though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Buddle is actually really good with the ball at his feet. Better than Altidore, IMO. However, once he gets dispossessed, he tends to just stop and not try to get the ball back.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Lorenzo, I agree. I really wish Spector would have played the 2nd half, because Demerit was just crap. He just isn't in form at all and I don't want him on the field. Our defense is in trouble right now, save for Cherundalo.

Howard is a given. Cherundalo, ***** if healthy and Bocanegra are givens, and I think Spector should be in there.

As to the midfield, I think you hit it right on. We need Dempsey, Donovan, Torres and Bradley. Clark is worthless and should never see the pitch. Holden needs to be the sub off the bench.

We seem to have a lovely problem at forward suddenly. Buddle is in excellent form and I'd put him in the starting lineup...except that he's almost exactly an Altidore clone. Going in for game one? Maybe Altidore paired with Gomez, who is also in form. At least we won't have to go with one striker, as I thought we might. Man, who is the idiot who didn't want Buddle or Gomez? :D

Overall, I'm equal parts encouraged and scaret out of my wits. When moving forward, our midfield is making opportunities and our forwards have been scoring goals. Australia usually has an excellent defense and their team has been in good form, so that is encouraging. When we don't have possession in midfield, though, our midfielders are pretty much useless. Our defense is in complete disarray right now. Hopefully, with Ferdinand out, we can score enough to take a surprising victory, or manage a draw. Our defensive woes scare the crap out of me, though.
I agree 100% I'm scared too for the defense.

I'm just hoping bob bradley has an idea of what spector can give him. Maybe he didn't want to show his hand to the english either. Or maybe he didn't want spector to get injured because the back line is thin. I just think if you are bradley now is not the time to hide away players so my guess is he plans on playing demerit and goodson. Hopefully demerit and clark played their way off the pitch in this game. I don't know...but spector should be on the field. he is a better player than demerit and I have been told he can play inside. A very important facet of the game that gets over looked for our USA defenders is ball skills. you see that cherrundolo and bocanegra have this trait. i don't see it from demerit. he's all over the place and is very sloppy with the ball at his feet. crazy passes and touches are common with him. I recall one moment in the aust game when demerit had no pressure and airmailed a ball over everyone and the commentation booth were chuckling about it. spector is one of the most skilled defenseman on the ball that the US have. Look at the way Rafael Marquez of mexico (a central defender) provides a quality service to his teammates and sets the attack and possession from the back. We don't have that luxury...

Overall this is the problem for the US. They have guys like demerit, clark, goodson, even bradley(At times especially when paired with clark) who are not good with the ball at their feet. they run around chasing and watching.....of corse no matter how good of a defender you are.....at some point if you let your opponent hold the ball that much and surrender possession as often as these guys do...of corse they are going to score goals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robbie Findley: Something of a mixed bag. Created his own chances which is unusual for US forwards not named Altidore. Put himself in a good position for the pass on Buddle's first goal, but of course he wasn't needed. Had a late chance in the game where he for some baffling reason didn't pass to a streaking Donovan. He was probably unlucky that shot hit the post, but he has to have the awareness to get up after that, he had plenty of time to get himself back onside on the disallowed goal. Granted it was an iffy call, but Findley didn't need to be in that position. The way he played makes me wonder why he isn't having a good MLS season, it seems like the tools are there.

Edson Buddle: What more can be said? His first goal has to be one of the best of the last year for the USMNT. Hope to see it continue when paired with Altidore.

Clint Dempsey: Sweet header on the disallowed goal, which arguably should have counted. Otherwise not a particularly productive day, and it was pretty bizarre how nearly every physical foul by the Aussies was inflicted on Dempsey. I wonder what that was all about.

Ricardo Clark: He was mostly invisible, but the passing for the most part was better than usual. Did fine defensively. Still would rather see what Edu or Torres could have done, I was surprised neither got substituted into the game.

Michael Bradley: No stupid fouls, which is the most important thing in Bradley's game. The Aussies didn't have much going through the central midfield, so he did his job.

Landon Donovan: He looks like he's ready to go. Not a dazzling game but had a handful of those dangerous, slicing Donovan passes, like the one Gomez scored on late.

Tim Howard: Didn't have a whole lot to do in his 45 minutes. Thankfully the Aussies didn't get off as many shots on goal as they probably should have given how the defense played.

The defense: Uh.... not good. Demerit in particular had a bad day, things did look better after Onyewu came in for Goodson though. Bocanegra was solid which is important to see considering he's returning from surgery. Cherundolo's cross on the second goal was a thing of beauty. The US was lucky that the Aussies only scored one, going by the defensive play in general.

The subs: Onyewu looked improved over his previous outing, but can he play for a full 90 minutes? We just can't tell yet. Hahnemann made a few nice saves but was all over the place on crosses. Somebody buy him a hat or something. Bornstein looked much better on defense than he typically has, I was pleasantly surprised with his time. Beasley didn't show much but only played a few minutes. Gomez started out pretty rough. I understand that the pitch was in bad shape but surely you have to do better than that on a two man vs. the GK break. He then had that unnecessary foul to give the Aussies a dangerous free kick. Obviously he made up for it with the goal though, which was probably more difficult than he made it look.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
As the Dynamo visited the Los Angeles Galaxy on Saturday night, the home fans made sure Ching was aware of his disappointment over all of this by chanting "U.S. reject" and other insults at him throughout the game.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wo...true-chants-get-to-Brian-Ching?urn=sow,246004

New York was the first team to serenade him in the very next game after the 23 man roster was announced. He'll probably hear it at every visiting stadium he goes to from here on out, especially since he has admitted it bothers him.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It's not like they are going after his family. If fans can get in an opposing player's head, then more power to them.

I agree, they aren't insulting his race or saying anything foul about him. Fans always try to get in players heads.

It's not like they were chanting "PLO" like ASU fans did when Kerr was playing for UofA or mimicking flying a plane in to a building like a Celtic fan did when Reyna was playing for Rangers (the fan BTW was banned for life from attending any Scottish football match).

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's not like they are going after his family. If fans can get in an opposing player's head, then more power to them.

The guy did his best to try and represent our country. Figure that would be worth something to American fans.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The guy did his best to try and represent our country. Figure that would be worth something to American fans.

In a moral and ethical world, sure, you'd be correct. But you know as well as we all do that we don't live in that kind of world. Hell, just look at the ASU/UA rivalry. There is more bad blood there than what Brian Ching will ever experience as a member of the Dynamo.

This isn't even close to being a surprise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake