The Official US Soccer thread

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
In a moral and ethical world, sure, you'd be correct. But you know as well as we all do that we don't live in that kind of world. Hell, just look at the ASU/UA rivalry. There is more bad blood there than what Brian Ching will ever experience as a member of the Dynamo.

This isn't even close to being a surprise.

Oh, I'm not surprised, but just kinda disappointed. As opposed to ASU U of A stuff, we're all Americans, and as such, should support national team efforts. To rip a guy for not making the team seems in poor form.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Maybe you should stick to nice quiet sports like tennis.

Ha, maybe you should keep your advice to yourself. I see a distinction between hating on opponents, and hating on your fellow countrymen who are trying to represent your country. Clearly, you can't appreciate the difference.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ha, maybe you should keep your advice to yourself. I see a distinction between hating on opponents, and hating on your fellow countrymen who are trying to represent your country. Clearly, you can't appreciate the difference.
No I can't. I will support my country through thick and thin when they are representing us but if the players didn't make the team and I wasn't a fan of theirs in the first place then i'm not going to all of a sudden be nice to them. This is football FFS, not curling. The game is about passion and getting in players heads. That is the job of the fans.

Ching didn't make the team (thank god) and he should take what he gets. If he had made the team I would have been upset but would never have booed him.

Also, if we're not allowed to get at American playesr because they are trying to play for their country then we wouldn't be able to have a go at anyone at all! They all want, and try their best, to play for the national team.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
No I can't. I will support my country through thick and thin when they are representing us but if the players didn't make the team and I wasn't a fan of theirs in the first place then i'm not going to all of a sudden be nice to them. This is football FFS, not curling. The game is about passion and getting in players heads. That is the job of the fans.

Ching didn't make the team (thank god) and he should take what he gets. If he had made the team I would have been upset but would never have booed him.

Believe me, I think Ching sucks too, and was glad to see he didn't make the squad. I'm not saying you should cheer for him or anything, just saying I wouldn't rip on him for not making the squad. Either way, it's a complete non issue.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brian Ching is a wuss. I mean get real. He was on the verge of tears after the game, over some razzing by the Angel City Brigade and L.A. Riot Squad.....Wow. I don't want someone that fragile anywhere near the World Cup or anywhere near a I team I cheer for. The best part was when he said "They should look in the mirror. I have made it farther in soccer than those guys." Really Brian? Seriously? You are comparing your soccer career to a supporters group? LMAO.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I love how soccer fans like to give themselves a free pass for being douches under the guise of their "passion" and "loyalty."

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that is harsh. But I don't see too much wrong with it. They paid for their tickets. They should be able to razz the guy. I am actually kind of proud of them, because you know this goes on in Europe. Why that makes me proud, I am not sure.
:)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I love how soccer fans like to give themselves a free pass for being douches under the guise of their "passion" and "loyalty."

Really? Is it as bad as football fans cheering an injury in Philly? or ASU basketball fans chanting PLO when Kerr was at the foul line knowing his father was killed in Lebanon?

Giving a guy a hard time on a rival club for not making the national team isn't even in the same boat...if that is being a "douche" I think you need to get thicker skin

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I agree those are worse. But it seems to me there is a culture of mischief (for lack of a better term) among the fans in soccer that is way more pervasive than other American sport. Additionally, it is almost as if American soccer fans belief that will make them more authentic in the eyes of world soccer fans.

Anyways, Ching is a fellow American that obviously wants to badly represent you and me to the world. Despite his lack of productivity with the national team, I certainly never thought Ching was giving anything less than his full effort in any game I watched. I think the guy deserves a modicum of respect. But maybe I'm wrong in placing country before club.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am absolutely loving watching the US replays. US Mexico '02 reminded me just how full that Mexico team was with dirty players...Borgetti, Hernandez, Blanco, Marquez.

US Portugal match is on right now...US was so outmatched in talent but that fast start made all the difference--the US "unknowns" at the time like Donovan, Beasley & Mastroeni gave the Portugese fits and it is nice to see O'Brien in his prime and injury free.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Oh I agree those are worse. But it seems to me there is a culture of mischief (for lack of a better term) among the fans in soccer that is way more pervasive than other American sport. Additionally, it is almost as if American soccer fans belief that will make them more authentic in the eyes of world soccer fans.

There is a lot less "mischief" at soccer matches in the US than other sports. I've been to every pro league in the US except the NHL and I've seen more fights among fans and more crap chucked at players & refs at NFL games than any other. In fact MLS is quick to identify out of control fans (like the guy yelling racial comments in Columbus last season against New England), they used video and the supporters group to find the guy and he is banned from attending any more games--I've never heard of that happening in any other sport.

The only recent incidents we have had at a soccer game in this country have involved Mexico at the Gold Cup during their game in Dallas.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I am absolutely loving watching the US replays. US Mexico '02 reminded me just how full that Mexico team was with dirty players...Borgetti, Hernandez, Blanco, Marquez.

US Portugal match is on right now...US was so outmatched in talent but that fast start made all the difference--the US "unknowns" at the time like Donovan, Beasley & Mastroeni gave the Portugese fits and it is nice to see O'Brien in his prime and injury free.

How about Tony Sanneh? He came out of nowhere and was arguably our best player in the tourney. Frankie Hedujk played a hell of a tournament as well. What a magical run that team had, I was devastated by the lost to Germany, especially with the obvious handball bs. That was what really got me into US soccer.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
How about Tony Sanneh? He came out of nowhere and was arguably our best player in the tourney. Frankie Hedujk played a hell of a tournament as well. What a magical run that team had, I was devastated by the lost to Germany, especially with the obvious handball bs. That was what really got me into US soccer.

I loved Tony Sanneh, one of the most underappreciated US players ever. Never liked Hejduk, he really made up for his lack of skill with his speed and stamina. Berhalter played well in both the Mexico and Germany matches.

Worst player in the tourney for the US was Agoos, hands down. He wouldn't have made this years roster in his prime let alone start an important match.

What this current team could really use more than anything is a John O'Brien circa 2002.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I loved Tony Sanneh, one of the most underappreciated US players ever. Never liked Hejduk, he really made up for his lack of skill with his speed and stamina. Berhalter played well in both the Mexico and Germany matches.

Worst player in the tourney for the US was Agoos, hands down. He wouldn't have made this years roster in his prime let alone start an important match.

What this current team could really use more than anything is a John O'Brien circa 2002.

It was amazing what Sanneh did in that tourney, shut down one top player after another.

Completely forgot about Agoos (or a goose as we referred to him) He was just pitiful in the tourney, and every time the ball was anywhere near him it was a total adventure. It is unbelievable he saw the field.

Just unfortunate that John OBrien couldn't stay healthy. Read a really interesting column about him on ESPN a little while back.

Almost forgot about Friedel...he was spectacular throughout the tourney, and I was really disappointed that he didn't play in the last world cup. Considering he's still one of the better goalies around, it's really a surprise that he didn't start the last wc over Keller, who was merely average.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Worst player in the tourney for the US was Agoos, hands down. He wouldn't have made this year's roster in his prime let alone start an important match.

Man, I hated Agoos as a player. I'll never understand how he ever got on the national team roster.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Almost forgot about Friedel...he was spectacular throughout the tourney, and I was really disappointed that he didn't play in the last world cup. Considering he's still one of the better goalies around, it's really a surprise that he didn't start the last wc over Keller, who was merely average.

The only reason was that Friedel announced his retirement from Int'l soccer shortly after the 2002 WC. He could still start on the team today if he wanted to as its arguable whether he or Howard are better right now.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Well... crap! This was the best side USA has brought to the World Cup and leaving South Africa after the round of 16 is a disappointment. I've attempted to bite my lip and tried not to jump on the Boob Bradley hater-wagon, but the loss to Ghana falls squarely on his shoulders. Findley may someday improve on just having great pace but to believe he has a spot in the starting XI of a World Cup match is delusional. Bradley's loyalty to Ricardo Clark is unexplainable and unexcusable, it cost the MNT the game. No coach should ever choose his roster based on popular opinion, but when an overwhealming percentage of the fans question Findley and Clark even being on the roster, Bradley's ability to evaluate talent shows he does not have all the tools needed to manage a national squad.

On to Brazil!

Keeper: Timmy will still be in his prime (for net-minders) and is one of the top three shot stoppers in the world. Guzan will be reaching his peak and spending time in the Premership will continue his growth.

Backline: Bornstein improvement gives me hope but our current roster of defenders are too long in the tooth for 2014. Hopefully a new crop of backs will emerge.

Midfield: Landon will be 32 and Deuce will be 31, that is pushing things a bit for a position that demands pace, energy and endurance. However, I believe these two have the competitveness to beat the odds and will actually improve with 4 years of experience. Bradley, Torres, Edu, Holden, McCarthy, Rodgers and Gavin could turn the weak link of this squad into a area of strength by the time we land in San Paulo.

Forwards: Even more than *****, I think this World Cup squad missed a healthly Charlie Davies. The MNT had an aggresiveness, explosiveness and swagger about them when he was on the pitch. Hopefully he recovers and continues with his growth. I like the way Jozy has begun to play. Altidore (IMO) will never be a finese player with exciting ball skills, but more of a bull-in-a-china-closet type of finisher. He is starting to use his frame to push and shield defenders from the ball. This is his game and he should be in top form for the next go round.

Manager: I soooo wanted Bob Bradley to be the home-grown, dad of the star player, strong-quite, all-American-Leave It to Beaver-father-figure... that leads all of us fans towards world respect in this game. I don't have an opinion on who the next coach should be, I just know it ain't you Boob.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
On to Brazil!

Keeper: Timmy will still be in his prime (for net-minders) and is one of the top three shot stoppers in the world. Guzan will be reaching his peak and spending time in the Premership will continue his growth.

Backline: Bornstein improvement gives me hope but our current roster of defenders are too long in the tooth for 2014. Hopefully a new crop of backs will emerge.

Midfield: Landon will be 32 and Deuce will be 31, that is pushing things a bit for a position that demands pace, energy and endurance. However, I believe these two have the competitveness to beat the odds and will actually improve with 4 years of experience. Bradley, Torres, Edu, Holden, McCarthy, Rodgers and Gavin could turn the weak link of this squad into a area of strength by the time we land in San Paulo.

Forwards: Even more than *****, I think this World Cup squad missed a healthly Charlie Davies. The MNT had an aggresiveness, explosiveness and swagger about them when he was on the pitch. Hopefully he recovers and continues with his growth. I like the way Jozy has begun to play. Altidore (IMO) will never be a finese player with exciting ball skills, but more of a bull-in-a-china-closet type of finisher. He is starting to use his frame to push and shield defenders from the ball. This is his game and he should be in top form for the next go round.

Manager: I soooo wanted Bob Bradley to be the home-grown, dad of the star player, strong-quite, all-American-Leave It to Beaver-father-figure... that leads all of us fans towards world respect in this game. I don't have an opinion on who the next coach should be, I just know it ain't you Boob.

I wouldn't count on Gavin getting better, the guy has progressively got worse sine he left the U20's...guys like Adu, Bedoya, Pontius, Gil, Diskerud, Jeffrey and Zizzo(probably Kljestan too) are MFs who are most likely to improve and push for roster spots in 2014.

As for the defense Castillo, Orozco, Whitbread, Lichaj, Gonzalez, Franklin, Alston, DeLaGarza and Ream are guys who could push for a spot in '14

Forwards, it is looking bleak there as usual...Bowen, Grella, McInerney are about it as far as young guys go...we have to hope Davies get's healthy and stays effective and Jozy & Findley both improve.

There will of course be guys who appear out of nowhere (like Demerit & Torres did this cycle)...oh well, time to move on.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know everyone will proclaim me as an LA Galaxy homer, but Omar Gonzalez has the makings of being a great everyday international center back for us. He was invited to camp this year, but will be starting in 2014. Book it.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I know everyone will proclaim me as an LA Galaxy homer, but Omar Gonzalez has the makings of being a great everyday international center back for us. He was invited to camp this year, but will be starting in 2014. Book it.

I think you are absolutely right, Franklin has a good shot at making the roster too...not to mention Bowen as well. Galaxy have some good young US talent and they all have the benefit of Bruce Arena coaching them.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So why can't the US develop any great forwards?

Good question, my theory is that the US coaches the "unselfishness" out of them at an early age, a forward needs to have a single focus on scoring goals and needs to be selfish doing it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Good question, my theory is that the US coaches the "unselfishness" out of them at an early age, a forward needs to have a single focus on scoring goals and needs to be selfish doing it.

I think it's because our midfielders are so great, nobody takes the extra time to develop forwards with a killer scoring instinct. Davies was on his way there, but nobody right now is close to having that. It's something I think Bob Bradley always held hope that Brian Ching would have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake