The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN might make me a big soccer fan with them showing Bundesliga, La Liga, Italian leagues, etc. live on ESPN3 online starting in August.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
ESPN might make me a big soccer fan with them showing Bundesliga, La Liga, Italian leagues, etc. live on ESPN3 online starting in August.

They could make me a big soccer fan if they just eliminated the goaltender.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Tonight was Landon and Edson Buddle's return to the LA Galaxy, with Bob Bradley in the stands. And what happens? 20 minutes in, Landon with a perfect corner kick to, yep, you guessed it, Edson Buddle, who heads it in for the 1st of the Galaxy's 3 goals. Suck it, Bradley! :D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight was Landon and Edson Buddle's return to the LA Galaxy, with Bob Bradley in the stands. And what happens? 20 minutes in, Landon with a perfect corner kick to, yep, you guessed it, Edson Buddle, who heads it in for the 1st of the Galaxy's 3 goals. Suck it, Bradley! :D

Damn you Bradley. Re-watching the game on ESPN3.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
DURBAN, South Africa -- Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas could miss Wednesday's World Cup semifinal match against Germany after getting hurt at practice.

The Spanish football federation says Fabregas had scans on his right leg after hurting it in a closed workout on Monday.

He will rest Tuesday and remain under observation.

Well, there go Spains chances if he's gone.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he was on the bench anyway?

I don't think so, unless they were going to put him on the bench. I thought he started the games I watched for Spain.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't think so, unless they were going to put him on the bench. I thought he started the games I watched for Spain.

I think they said he hadn't started a game yet and, before the last game, had only logged 59 minutes. He certainly didn't start the last game, although he did come off the bench.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Fabregas hasn't started a game yet. He has played about 90 minutes over three games so far.

He is certainly good enough to play and has made an impact when he has come on but Spain are able to play without him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they said he hadn't started a game yet and, before the last game, had only logged 59 minutes. He certainly didn't start the last game, although he did come off the bench.

I must be thinking of someone else.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
UHHHHHH, THe World CUp of UPSETS. Go Netherlands, I would love to be in Amsterdam for the party.

"Hey man, was there a soccer game on today?"
"I think so but I am pretty stoned"
"Screw it, lets get some hookers"

OOPS, wrong thread.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Charlie Davies started a friendly today for Sochaux, sounds like he is firmly on his way back. His club has 6 more friendlies scheduled in July so he should be fit enough to play in the next US game against Brazil on August 10th.

Also I hear the US also has a friendly lined up against Poland in the fall but there hasn't been an announcement on the US Soccer site yet.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The U20 team has a tournament at the end of the month as a build up to qualifying for next years U20 WC, these guys are our future. The US plays China & Denmark...Mexico plays Japan & Northern Ireland. Depending on results of course, but a showdown with Mexico seems really possible.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Looking ahead to 2014...

Nice article from The Washington Post....
The 2014 World Cup roster will by no means start from scratch. An encouraging core will return for the next cycle of qualifying, which begins in 2012.

Midfielders Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey will be 32 and 31, respectively, in four years and will likely remain central figures on the team. Goalkeeper Tim Howard, at 35, will be even more seasoned and likely will remain the starter in net, and defender Oguchi Onyewu might return at age 32.

Young standouts Jozy Altidore, who is only 20 years old, and Michael Bradley, 22, will have another four years of international play in which to grow, and several other players who were part of the South Africa run are 25 or younger -- midfielders Jose Torres, Maurice Edu, Stuart Holden and Benny Feilhaber, defenders Jonathan Spector and Jonathan Bornstein and forward Robbie Findley. Should forward Charlie Davies, 24, return to form after a car accident, he also would likely factor into roster discussions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/08/AR2010070804312.html

It all starts with the coach though...who will it be? A new coach will probably mean less loyalty to veterans--we could see the older guys get phased out earlier as he try's to find the guys that best fit his vision as for what style of play we have.

My bet is we have a the coaching position settled before the Brazil friendly, even though Bradley is under contract until December.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The future...

Sebastian Lletget. West Ham youth academy player, 17 yrs old, US Coach Thomas Rongen calls him one of the core of the U20 team...

"I made this statement to his father last year: If he keeps going like he is, he could play for the full team in a year," says Leigh. "The first thing you notice about Sebastian is that he just has such great ball control. He's a great passer and he's always one play ahead of the game. I think the only thing he needs to do now is shoot more, which he's working on."

Adds Leigh: "I think if an opportunity arises, I think [Lletget] could make a start this year. If not, definitely next year. [West Ham manager] Giancarlo Zola likes him."

According to Leigh, West Ham super scout Jimmy Hampson once told him that Lletget is the best 14-year-old to ever play for the famed club. Keep in mind, West Ham has developed, among others, Frank Lampard and Joe Cole.

"Within 10 minutes of seeing [Lletget], Tony Carr [West Ham's director of youth development] said that the kid is special," Leigh says. "He thought Sebastian was fantastic; he just blew Tony away."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/story?id=4973291

The US also has American born Alex Zahavi of Sporting Lisbon's youth ranks talking about switching from Portugal to the US (Rongen makes it sound like it is a sure thing), Zahavi was the Captain of Portugal's U17 side. His best friend also plays at Sporting Lisbon and is in the US U20 pool (Greg Garza).

Then there is Luis Gil, 16 yrs old, on the roster at Real Salt Lake...
Luis Gil is a technically gifted playmaker with uncommon vision who -- and the scouts are unanimous about this -- "gets it." That he could be the best No. 10 this country has produced is understood but unspoken, and there's a caveat to all this, of course: Nothing is guaranteed.

His development, especially over the next three or four years, is crucial, but the tools are at his disposal, and if you're looking for some kind of comparison, try Landon Donovan. Or Cesc Fabregas.

And Fabregas? That's the link London's great Arsenal FC made when Gil went there on a nearly two-week trial a year ago. The Gunners wanted him, and so did Real Madrid, Sevilla, Manchester City and scads of clubs in Mexico.

Gil was thrown in with Arsenal's older youth teams, with outstanding players from around the world, some of them as old as 19. The pace of the game was quicker, and Gil was forced to think more quickly.

"He just fit into what they do," Gartlan said. "I think a club like Arsenal appreciates that player. The comparison [from Arsenal's staff] was Luis is a similar player to Cesc Fabregas. He's not exceptionally big, he's not super fast, but his effect on the field is just a very fluid motion."
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/worldcup/news/story?id=5187954

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
sounds nice on Lletget .... and if it's good enough for Zola it's good enough for me ...... although I'm not sure who this giancarlo guy they speak of is and gianfranco is no longer manager at West Ham

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice article from The Washington Post....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/08/AR2010070804312.html

It all starts with the coach though...who will it be? A new coach will probably mean less loyalty to veterans--we could see the older guys get phased out earlier as he try's to find the guys that best fit his vision as for what style of play we have.

My bet is we have a the coaching position settled before the Brazil friendly, even though Bradley is under contract until December.

Seems like a good enough core....

Something has to be done about the slow starting in this World Cup. This almost always stems from a lack of focus or preparation, and that starts with the coach. It's the same in pretty much all sports.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Those players sound nice, but you gotta be cautious because this is all starting to sound like the Freddy Adu ridiculousness from a few years ago.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Where the hell were those guys in the U-17 cup in Nigeria? : /

Gil & McInerney were the only 2 US players to play well in that tourney. Gil was very impressive--best US player in the tourney, McInerney was better in qualifying then he was in the tourney but he still played well(11 goals in 15 U17 games--2 in the U17 WC).

The US defense was an abomination though.

The US did make it out of the group stages before losing to Italy. Mexico didn't make it any further.

EDIT: It was the U20 team that had the terrible defense not the U17 team, I had them confused. You probably didn't pay attention to the U20 WC SHZM because Mexico failed to qualify for the tournament. I do wish the U17 WCQ Tourney had finished because the US & Mexico were cruising through qualifying and look destined to face off in the CONCACAF final--we had scored 12 goals through 3 games and Mexico 11.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake