The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
US is supposed to play Egypt in Cairo on the 9th of February. Somehow I don't think that is going to happen...although USSF hasn't officially announced cancelling the match yet.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
US is supposed to play Egypt in Cairo on the 9th of February. Somehow I don't think that is going to happen...although USSF hasn't officially announced cancelling the match yet.

Yeaaaaaaaah, that probably wont happen lol

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It is official now...

“We were excited about the opportunity to play against Egypt, but due to the current situation all parties agreed it was best to cancel the match,” said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. “We appreciate the efforts of the Egyptian Football Association and the U.S. State Department as we worked through this situation.”

Too bad they don't have enough time to find a decent replacement.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Schedule a match with Mexico in the meantime.
The Gold Cup Final is too long of a wait :)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Charlie Davies is on trial with DC United, if he passes his medical exams and holds up in the preseason he will spend 2011 in MLS. This is a gamble but could pay off huge for DC...as a DC United and USMNT fan I am very hopeful. If he can have some MLS success he will likely play his way back on to the Gold Cup roster this summer (even if only as a super-sub type role).

He played 70+ minutes in a preseason match against Canada U20's today and scored and had an assist.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Tim Howard > Petr Cech.

Its always great to see Chelsea lose, but Timmy playing large in net during the FA Cup was an added bonus.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
US U17's qualified for the U17 WC in Mexico. I only saw the El Salvador match but to be honest I wasn't really impressed with their play. They will have to make some significant improvement before the WC in June.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
US U17's qualified for the U17 WC in Mexico. I only saw the El Salvador match but to be honest I wasn't really impressed with their play. They will have to make some significant improvement before the WC in June.

Is the Salgado guy on that team? Last I heard, he was "The next great US star" ...Not sure that's a good thing.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Is the Salgado guy on that team? Last I heard, he was "The next great US star" ...Not sure that's a good thing.

No Salgado is a U20. The U20 team is pretty stacked, it is doubtful Salgado will even start.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't like that kid, still flapping his gums after not being able to cut it in Chivas reserves.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Don't like that kid, still flapping his gums after not being able to cut it in Chivas reserves.

Whatever. He played for Mexico U17's & U20's and decided he wanted to play for his country of birth, you sound bitter.

Says he likes the US coaches & structure better and likes living in the US more.

At 15 he started talking about playing for the US and Chivas having a strict Mexican only policy blacklisted him. What a backward organization, could you imagine if a MLB team had that policy?

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why would I be bitter? Not like we're missing out on the next Pele. He realized he had an easier route to playing time if he went to US rather than in Mexico. Perfectly ok with him doing that, he was born there and he wants the shortcut to being significant.

Chivas has had that policy for over 100 years. If he didn't agree with it, he could've found another club. Guadalajara has, probably the most talented youth system in the entire continent, he didn't ride the bench just because he's American. Crying about the coaches, style of play, living conditions (which are actually pretty good in Guadalajara) are all things that he and daddy should've considered before joining.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Chivas has had that policy for over 100 years. If he didn't agree with it, he could've found another club. Guadalajara has, probably the most talented youth system in the entire continent, he didn't ride the bench just because he's American. Crying about the coaches, style of play, living conditions (which are actually pretty good in Guadalajara) are all things that he and daddy should've considered before joining.

Doesn't make it right. 50 years ago we had segregated schools in the south.

Excluding players because of their nationality is ridiculously xenophobic. If that were a US pro team in any sport the back lash would be HUGE. Once again I thank God I am not Mexican.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mountain out of a mole hill.

As a Club America fan, I never thought i'd find myself defending Chivas, but here it goes.

The exclusivity has more to do with national pride than xenophobia. It came about because of the growing sense of oppression Mexican nationals felt towards non-Mexican nationals during the late 1800s- early 1900s. I suppose, a similar comparison would be a colonial team choosing to include American-born players in a sense of American pride because of red coat oppression. Its simply a team tradition that has been kept alive through years and years and isn't likely to change anytime soon. Is it wrong? Possibly. Could it be sending a bad message to other countries who have had such a nasty history of racism, such as the US? Absolutely.

At the end of the day, its looked at as nothing more than a team tradition, no different than the Yankees tradition of a clean cut appearance.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Good for Salgado and any player who gets out of that mess. Chivas is xenophobic, national pride has nothing to do with it. It is indefensable. Times change, people change and so should their archaic policy. But it's Mexico...so whatever. There may be Euro or South Am clubs that have similar policies...it doesn't make it right but if their countries/supporters tolerate it thats on them.

I am pretty confident in saying no American club in any sport will EVER have such a policy and thats a good thing.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't know why you're making such a big deal about it. If it were about racism, surely FIFA would've gotten involved to some degree. Seems like the only xenophobia here is yours towards Mexico.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
At the end of the day, its looked at as nothing more than a team tradition, no different than the Yankees tradition of a clean cut appearance.

Equating racism to grooming, that's rich.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Don't know why you're making such a big deal about it. If it were about racism, surely FIFA would've gotten involved to some degree. Seems like the only xenophobia here is yours towards Mexico.

Xenophobia...nope. Xenophobia is basically a fear of a foreign country or their culture. I definitely don't fear Mexico.

I'm pretty well travelled have been to around 30 different foreign countries, xenophobia is not something that can be used to describe me. I can say with utmost confidence though I wouldn't trade being a US citizen for anything.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Its a shame you view it that way, Chris.

It's not a point of view question, it's black and white.

All American sports at one point had a "whites only tradition". The fact that it was a tradition doesn't make it any less racist.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Xenophobia...nope. Xenophobia is basically a fear of a foreign country or their culture.
So you're saying Chivas fear other foreign players? :biglaugh:

It's not a point of view question, it's black and white.

All American sports at one point had a "whites only tradition". The fact that it was a tradition doesn't make it any less racist.

Skin color is not a race, Chris.