The Official US Soccer thread

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How's it work if Mexico is one of those four? They're already qualified for it, since they're the host nation. Do only 3 teams (+Mexico) qualify? Hmmm

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Edson Buddle? Really? Time machine, anyone? I guess it's cool to have someone from a German league, even a second division team. He does have two goals and one assist in 8 games this year.

IMO, Buddle is the best we got. Pathetic? Absolutely. Jozy is so overrated it's unbelievable. We just have to cross our fingers that Aguedelo becomes more than we think he is.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Btw Milgod,

CL brace to eliminate Marseille "big" enough for ya? ;)
Not really, no.

Terrible defending for both tap ins against a team that would be around 6th/7th in the Prem.
I have always thought Hernandez is a good player, and could be very good but he has fallen into a perfect situation. He needs to be consistent over a longer period to warant the praise he gets. Jermaine Beckford has a goals-per-minute ratio not that far off Hernandez and he plays for a worse team and has jumped up from League One football yet people were criticising him earlier in the season.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the website, the Argentina game will also bring the return of a red US kit :thumbup:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
IMO, Buddle is the best we got. Pathetic? Absolutely. Jozy is so overrated it's unbelievable. We just have to cross our fingers that Aguedelo becomes more than we think he is.

Yep.

What makes it worse is that we have a joke of a coach. No way he will inspire anyone to be great.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Davies came on as a sub for United and scored a PK and another good goal, hopefully he can build on it and get his fitness back and be a factor for the Gold Cup.

Agudelo also scored for NYRB...the kid looked pretty strong on the ball.

Dempsey scored his 10th in the EPL this one against Tim Howard. Holden was stretchered off against Man U...so he will likely be replaced on the roster, maybe by Bedoya?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
GOALKEEPERS-Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Tim Howard (Everton), David Yelldell (MSV Duisburg)

DEFENDERS-Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Jonathan Bornstein (UANL Tigres), Timothy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jay DeMerit (Vancouver Whitecaps), Oguchi Onyewu (FC Twente), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United), Zak Whitbread (Norwich City)

MIDFIELDERS-Michael Bradley (Aston Villa), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Mikkel Diskeruud (Stabaek), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton Wanderers), Jermaine Jones (Blackburn Rovers), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht)

FORWARDS-Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (Bursaspor), Edson Buddle (FC Ingolstadt)

Holden, Cherundolo & Whitbread out due to injury...so far the only replacement named is defender Eric Lichaj who is on loan at Leeds United.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edson Buddle? Really? Time machine, anyone? I guess it's cool to have someone from a German league, even a second division team. He does have two goals and one assist in 8 games this year.

Better than Altidore... and Agudelo is an unknown at this point.

Still no Davies either...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Better than Altidore... and Agudelo is an unknown at this point.

Still no Davies either...

Davies is working himself back healthy. He will probably be a regular starter for DC United before the summer and if he is scoring consistently I expect him to be on the Gold Cup roster. Teal Bunbury would probably have been invited as a forward too but he dislocated his elbow a couple of weeks back and was unavailable -- he'll be an option this summer as well (as will Mwanga who is real close to US citizenship).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davies is working himself back healthy. He will probably be a regular starter for DC United before the summer and if he is scoring consistently I expect him to be on the Gold Cup roster. Teal Bunbury would probably have been invited as a forward too but he dislocated his elbow a couple of weeks back and was unavailable -- he'll be an option this summer as well (as will Mwanga who is real close to US citizenship).

He sure looked good Saturday.. :D

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Unfortunately not, Holden is out for 6 months after the hack job he suffered against Man U.

Not a fan of ManU or Jonny Evans, but it was a 50/50 ball. Holden got the worst of it. It either makes me frustrated, or roll my eyes when I see players go to ground, attempting to make a tackle in the midfield or on a 50/50.

One of three things will happen - and two of them are VERY bad.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
US will play Spain June 4th in Foxboro, MA for their final tune up before the Gold Cup.

4 WC participants in a row...Chile, Argentina, Paraguay & Spain, can't say they are only playing lightweights to get ready.

3 days later they play Canada to start the Gold Cup.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love the sash! I am wearing the blue shirt as I type. I would say it is my favourite ever national team shirt.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I love the sash! I am wearing the blue shirt as I type. I would say it is my favourite ever national team shirt.

I'll be wearing the blue to the game in Nashville, hope to be able to buy the red while I am there...it's about time they came up with a nice red kit!

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
The U.S. MNT Lineup vs. Argentina:
Howard
Spector, DeMerit, Onyewu, Bocanegra (c)
Jones, Bradley, Edu; Dempsey, Donovan
Altidore

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looks like Argentina is just playing with the US.

Absolutely getting ridiculed in possession.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake