The Official US Soccer thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Valid criticisms, but he's the best option up front still. Agudelo looks to be another option there, but we need two. If we get Davies back, we could have three, and then maybe we can think about making Altidore a reserve striker.

Arguments aside, I think you hit the nail in the head. I'm cautious about Davies, but if he returns to his previous form, I'm definitely in the camp of having Agudelo and Davies be our everyday starting strikers (in a MUST HAVE 4-4-2), with Jozy as a reserve (I guess--I still don't think he's any good).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valid criticisms, but he's the best option up front still. Agudelo looks to be another option there, but we need two. If we get Davies back, we could have three, and then maybe we can think about making Altidore a reserve striker.

A striker who doesn't score is the best option?

I dunno.....

He seems to play more like an attacking midfielder to me.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Who bunkers in a friendly? :biglaugh:

You must be registered for see images

^This guy does.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because if any team knows how to get a result against Argentina, its Mexico.

Seriously if you're that starved for attention, go start your own thread.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Im just here to return the shtick-talking you do for my team :)

Thanks for the suggestion, chf, but I'll hang around here til post GC.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Im just here to return the shtick-talking you do for my team :)

Thanks for the suggestion, chf, but I'll hang around here til post GC.

Ever notice that all that 'talking' about your team is in response to inflammatory posts of yours. Here, I'll make a post analogous to yours:

Mexico really sucks...man, those Mexican players are stupid little stupid heads!

Eh, then again, that might have a slightly higher level of sophistication than yours usually do ;)

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ever notice that all that 'talking' about your team is in response to inflammatory posts of yours. Here, I'll make a post analogous to yours:

Mexico really sucks...man, those Mexican players are stupid little stupid heads!

Eh, then again, that might have a slightly higher level of sophistication than yours usually do ;)

Meh, not your best material, Stout.

This all started when the majority of the board was reluctant to accept that a person living in the US would rather cheer for another team. Just my luck, the team I prefer happened to be a hated rival. I didn't cry about it, I took it as the friendly banter it was, and all of a sudden im hitting nerves left and right when compare the two teams' talent and laugh at the US for bunkering in a friendly like it were the 80th minute and winning the WC depended on them not allowing a goal.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Meh, not your best material, Stout.

This all started when the majority of the board was reluctant to accept that a person living in the US would rather cheer for another team. Just my luck, the team I prefer happened to be a hated rival. I didn't cry about it, I took it as the friendly banter it was, and all of a sudden im hitting nerves left and right when compare the two teams' talent and laugh at the US for bunkering in a friendly like it were the 80th minute and winning the WC depended on them not allowing a goal.

Another in a long line of foolish posts. Funny thing is, this post proves you've never played a competitive game of anything in your entire life. Sure, it's a friendly, but when you get on the pitch you still want to win--it's not like the Mexican excuse of "well, we didn't care" when they lose. The Argentines made 1 substitution in that game and they started an extremely strong side. We made 2 subs, does that mean Argentina is ridiculous for "bunkering down" against an inferior US side?

But hey, continue to insult and demean the very country that gives you the right to do so. Well done.

Last edited:

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Both A teams were out. One bunkered, one manned up and played the way you're supposed to. And yet you wonder why soccer hasn't picked up in the US....maybe because other countries actually have some balls and play teams straight up, both in domestic leagues and in national teams.

Make what you want of it, Chaplin. Read the sig, partner.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Both A teams were out. One bunkered, one manned up and played the way you're supposed to. And yet you wonder why soccer hasn't picked up in the US....maybe because other countries actually have some balls and play teams straight up, both in domestic leagues and in national teams.

Um, is anyone disputing that Argentina is better than the US? Hate to break it to you but Argentina is one of the best teams in the world. They showed that in this game. Since you have very little concept of what style they play, it makes sense that you missed it. Argentina is also much better than your Mexican idols as well. That's a fact. Hell, I will GUARANTEE that if Mexico played Argentina, they would definitely "hunker down" against that type of attack. Since you have no concept of the European game except for games where Chicharito starts, I realize it's hard for you to understand that, since you have no concept of the Barcelona style (which Argentina utilized).

And big NEWS FLASH: Nobody here except you cares about Mexico and your childish ranting against the US just makes you look more and more foolish.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Um, is anyone disputing that Argentina is better than the US? Hate to break it to you but Argentina is one of the best teams in the world. They showed that in this game. Since you have very little concept of what style they play, it makes sense that you missed it. Argentina is also much better than your Mexican idols as well. That's a fact. Hell, I will GUARANTEE that if Mexico played Argentina, they would definitely "hunker down" against that type of attack. Since you have no concept of the European game except for games where Chicharito starts, I realize it's hard for you to understand that, since you have no concept of the Barcelona style (which Argentina utilized).

And big NEWS FLASH: Nobody here except you cares about Mexico and your childish ranting against the US just makes you look more and more foolish.

Moot point, no one is arguing about the potency of Argentina or Mexico. Pay attention to the conversation, man. Im not debating Argentina's style, im saying the US' tactics are cowardly and pathetic.

Shows how much you pay attention to big names and not the actual matches themselves, Chaplin. Mexico played Argentina man-to-man from beginning to end in the World Cup (both 2006 and 2010.) Something the US can't do against anyone but a non-Caribbean concacaf team.

I'm glad i've put a couple more grey hairs in that ol' head of yours.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Moot point, no one is arguing about the potency of Argentina or Mexico. Pay attention to the conversation, man. Im not debating Argentina's style, im saying the US' tactics are cowardly and pathetic.

Shows how much you pay attention to big names and not the actual matches themselves, Chaplin. Mexico played Argentina man-to-man from beginning to end in the World Cup (both 2006 and 2010.) Something the US can't do against anyone but a non-Caribbean concacaf team.

I'm glad i've put a couple more grey hairs in that ol' head of yours.

LOL you've done nothing except prove your man-love for Chicharito and a disturbing obsession with the Mexican national team.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1-zip Paraguay. Holy cow. We controlled possession, had lots of chances, nothing going in. Donovan missed point blank from about 15 feet. Tim Ream started. He needs to stay starting -- awesome player. Chandler had a good game and so did Lichaj. Goal was on Hahnemann but it was DeMerit's missed mark that scored. DeMerit looks old to me. Edu was awful. JJ should be starting over him, IMO. Agudelo looked like an angry rooster out there running around at high speed with no place to go. Altidore disappeared as usual.

Yelldell does NOT look ready for prime time.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Utter tripe. Again.

The way you are supposed to play is the way that will net you a result. The US did that.

Argentina had the superior talent. They don't 'have balls' as you put it. Do you think that all the top teams play the same way every game? No, they adjust depending on who they are playing (unless they are Arsenal and look how far that has got them).

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
1-zip Paraguay. Holy cow. We controlled possession, had lots of chances, nothing going in. Donovan missed point blank from about 15 feet. Tim Ream started. He needs to stay starting -- awesome player. Chandler had a good game and so did Lichaj. Goal was on Hahnemann but it was DeMerit's missed mark that scored. DeMerit looks old to me. Edu was awful. JJ should be starting over him, IMO. Agudelo looked like an angry rooster out there running around at high speed with no place to go. Altidore disappeared as usual.

Yelldell does NOT look ready for prime time.

I wouldn't say Marcus was at fault, both Demerit & Ream fell leaving an uncontested shot and a highway to the back of the net. Agree with you pretty much everywhere else-with the exception of Demerit who I thought was the best defender against Argentina and controlled the back line against Paraguay until he got hurt.

I was at the game, a lot of fun but the worst performance by the US I have witnessed in person. Decent crowd for a Tuesday night in Nashville against Paraguay (29,500).

Play like that isn't going to win the Gold Cup though.

On a positive note US U20's won 4-0 in their opener for U20WC Qualifying. 3 goals were scored by forwards too (Doyle, Wood & Gyau). Next game is Saturday versus Panama.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Does Jose Mourinho lack balls or does he find the ways to get the most favorable results for what he has to work worth versus what he has to work against?

The only people who are happy with losing pretty are those who would lose ugly anyway ..... it gives them at least something to rest on

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now you just sound like an idiot. Tuesday. A lot of the games outside of the Argentina game recently.
All I did was ask a question, you're not mad, are you?

How many recent games against Argentina did you guys win with the 'all balls, no bunkering' attitude?

Tough luck vs the Argies, did net us a Gold Cup and win streak vs the US by a combined score of 7-1 though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can see a replay of the Paraguay game? I thought it was on ESPN3 and I didn't realize until it was too late.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I believe rojadirecta.es has downloadable games. They also have live streams if the atdhe.me ones suck

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like how shzm has side-stepped any valid points made on football. Such as the Mourinho comment or the fact that the way teams are supposed to play is however will get a result. If that means playing a more reserved style then so be it.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like how shzm has side-stepped any valid points made on football. Such as the Mourinho comment or the fact that the way teams are supposed to play is however will get a result. If that means playing a more reserved style then so be it.

I felt it would be unfair to compare a multiple European champion to a national team who needs a bunkering miracle to get past the powerhouse that is Algeria, but if you insist...

Comparing the US' tactics in the friendly vs Argentina to Mourinhos approach is foolish. Mourinho did adjust his lineups according to teams, and even bunkered to beat Barcelona in last years CL. The difference here, is that the Mourinho was playing for a trip to the finals and the of the outcome in the US' game vs the Argies means absolutely NOTHING and comes off as a pathetic attempt to save face in a nation that's clearly desperate to gain popularity.

Almost as pathetic as avoiding NT games in demographically diverse cities in fear of a larger turnout from the opposition.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I felt it would be unfair to compare a multiple European champion to a national team who needs a bunkering miracle to get past the powerhouse that is Algeria, but if you insist...

Comparing the US' tactics in the friendly vs Argentina to Mourinhos approach is foolish. Mourinho did adjust his lineups according to teams, and even bunkered to beat Barcelona in last years CL. The difference here, is that the Mourinho was playing for a trip to the finals and the of the outcome in the US' game vs the Argies means absolutely NOTHING and comes off as a pathetic attempt to save face in a nation that's clearly desperate to gain popularity.

Almost as pathetic as avoiding NT games in demographically diverse cities in fear of a larger turnout from the opposition.

You're ridiculous bias on the topic clouds your judgment, and frankly makes you sound like a fool. Strategy is strategy, no matter what the circumstance. You bring the stereotypical Mexican machismo angle to the discussion, and act all hard about it, yet refuse to acknowledge that the tactics of Mourinho and the US team are the same; recognize the logistics of the matchup, and develop a strategy that gives you the best chance to win. You come up with some lame explanation of a strategy that is very simple, and the exact same strategy of the best coach in the word - TO PUT YOUR TEAM IN THE BEST POSITION TO WIN.

But who really cares about winning or losing? I'd much rather have my team go around acting like a bunch of cheap shot tough guys. Mexican football, ain't it grand?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake