The Official US Soccer thread

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I like how shzm has side-stepped any valid points made on football. Such as the Mourinho comment or the fact that the way teams are supposed to play is however will get a result. If that means playing a more reserved style then so be it.

That's because he has nothing except for his misguided machismo and hilarious distaste for the country he calls home. And of course his unlimited supply of personal sexy time photos of Mexican players that everyone here is so impressed by.

Most entertainingly, he continues to brag about a Gold Cup victory over the US D squad...you may as well be bragging about preseason games in the NFL. Take a gander back at the lineups for that game. Besides Holden, not one of the other players even got a minute in the World Cup. If that's what you're hanging your hat on, I feel sorry for you.

http://concacaf.globalsportsmedia.com/page.php?sport=soccer&language_id=us&page=tournament&view=match&match_id=778384

Last edited:

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I felt it would be unfair to compare a multiple European champion to a national team who needs a bunkering miracle to get past the powerhouse that is Algeria, but if you insist...

Comparing the US' tactics in the friendly vs Argentina to Mourinhos approach is foolish. Mourinho did adjust his lineups according to teams, and even bunkered to beat Barcelona in last years CL. The difference here, is that the Mourinho was playing for a trip to the finals and the of the outcome in the US' game vs the Argies means absolutely NOTHING and comes off as a pathetic attempt to save face in a nation that's clearly desperate to gain popularity.

Almost as pathetic as avoiding NT games in demographically diverse cities in fear of a larger turnout from the opposition.
Everyday I question your knowledge on the beautiful game even more. I don't see the point in responding to somebody that make such strange claims with such odd reasoning.

As I have said before though, it is a real shame. Many people would like Mexico to do well (when not playing the US) as a fellow CONCACAF team but you are doing a great job of turning us against them.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's because he has nothing except for his misguided machismo and hilarious distaste for the country he calls home. And of course his unlimited supply of personal sexy time photos of Mexican players that everyone here is so impressed by.

Most entertainingly, he continues to brag about a Gold Cup victory over the US D squad...you may as well be bragging about preseason games in the NFL. Take a gander back at the lineups for that game. Besides Holden, not one of the other players even got a minute in the World Cup. If that's what you're hanging your hat on, I feel sorry for you.

http://concacaf.globalsportsmedia.com/page.php?sport=soccer&language_id=us&page=tournament&view=match&match_id=778384

Go ahead and type in "09GCExcuse" next time and save yourself all that typing and "research" Chris ;)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Go ahead and type in "09GCExcuse" next time and save yourself all that typing and "research" Chris ;)

Ha, not surprised you have no interest in getting into any of the particulars. Keep those blinders on!

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like how milgod has side-stepped any valid points made on football. Such as the Mourinho comment or the fact that the US bunkering vs Argentina has about as much strategic value as Toronto FC bunkering vs Real Madrid during their North America tour.

I see what you did there, Milly. ;)

The particulars have already been discussed, Chris. Mexico has a better and deeper team.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
When did Argentina prove that they are one of the best teams in the world?

When Germany dismantled them at the World Cup?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When did Argentina prove that they are one of the best teams in the world?

When Germany dismantled them at the World Cup?

Haha, thanks for your usual elitist response! :D Yes, Germany did this, and since then, Argentina has been on fire and is ranked 4th in the world. Yeah, I'd say that's one of the best teams in the world, and they've been in good form.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
FIFA ranking sadly means nothing.

Argentina has not done anything in the last 20 years that would warrant calling them one of the best teams in the world.

More specifically Argentina is just a wild collection of individualists perennial underachiever.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Argentina certainly don't do as well as they should, but that doesn't mean they aren't one of the best teams in the World. Name me 6 teams better than them.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Argentina certainly don't do as well as they should, but that doesn't mean they aren't one of the best teams in the World. Name me 6 teams better than them.

Germany, Germany, Germany, Germany, Germany and Mexico.

:D

Funny how he doesn't show his face around here for months and now he comes on here in the midst of an anti-American argument. Telling, isn't it?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Germany, Spain, Netherlands

Argentina is a tier below those 3 right now along with Brazil, England, Portugal and then France and Italy.

If we go by the success since 1990 then Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Brazil, Netherlands there you have your 6 and you could probably even make a case for England and Portugal but I am too tired to look it up the other 6 are obvious though.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Germany, Spain, Netherlands

Argentina is a tier below those 3 right now along with Brazil, England, Portugal and then France and Italy.

If we go by the success since 1990 then Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Brazil, Netherlands there you have your 6 and you could probably even make a case for England and Portugal but I am too tired to look it up the other 6 are obvious though.

I was just kidding before, but I've forgotten that you're about as bad as our resident Mexican goofball. Success since 1990? I'm talking about form RIGHT NOW, and RIGHT NOW, Argentina is about as good as any team. No elitist snob can change that.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Criticize the usmnt...get labeled a troll.

I actually like Agudelo, he looks better than any of the US' recent "stars" but to compare him to one of the top 5 EPL goal scorers after two friendly goals? Thats a bit much... But thats US soccer fans for ya

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Criticize the usmnt...get labeled a troll.

I actually like Agudelo, he looks better than any of the US' recent "stars" but to compare him to one of the top 5 EPL goal scorers after two friendly goals? Thats a bit much... But thats US soccer fans for ya

Maybe you need to get a dictionary and find out what the definition of "troll" is. You don't just criticize the national team and you know it. This post is proof of that.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're right, I'm also guilty of making fun of some of the delusional fans.

Stout

Reaction score
Maybe you need to get a dictionary and find out what the definition of "troll" is. You don't just criticize the national team and you know it. This post is proof of that.

Chap, our best approach to the troll is to ignore it. This kid thrives on attention. Just don't give it to him. I mean, don't put him on the ignore list--let the kid know that you see his posts, but you just don't care. That will drive him nuts.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wrong, Stout. What I do get a kick out of, though, is seeing everyones reactions when posed with an opinion that they don't agree with. Particularly with the idea that living in the US should not require you to support the USMNT. I must have missed that section during my naturalization process.

Not all US fans are quite as special as the ones in here, though. Here, I'm able to find a unique collection of individuals who will dish out the banter, and then freely insult foreign countries, leagues, clubs, and players when the banter is returned. I used to support the USMNT whenever they didn't play vs Mexico, but now I gotta admit that I couldn't care any less about their result, as long as their delusional fans continue to provide me with the entertainment I get from their constant over-hyping of their team and players.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wrong, Stout. What I do get a kick out of, though, is seeing everyones reactions when posed with an opinion that they don't agree with. Particularly with the idea that living in the US should not require you to support the USMNT. I must have missed that section during my naturalization process.

How about this part of the Naturalization oath...

" I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen"

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Not all US fans are quite as special as the ones in here, though. Here, I'm able to find a unique collection of individuals who will dish out the banter, and then freely insult foreign countries, leagues, clubs, and players when the banter is returned. I used to support the USMNT whenever they didn't play vs Mexico, but now I gotta admit that I couldn't care any less about their result, as long as their delusional fans continue to provide me with the entertainment I get from their constant over-hyping of their team and players.

I'm not sure just how much of this board you are reading. We've all given credit where credit is due--Mexico and the US are very close in the level of play, which is to say, much lower than the big boys--which, yes, includes ARGENTINA.

What is troll behavior is you not returning and acting with the same respect. It is only after that that we throw down the gloves and start being more harsh in our comments.

It's fine that you don't like the USMNT. Nobody says you have to. But it's only common courtesy to at least show some RESPECT in presenting your opinions, which you rarely, if ever, do. Perhaps we shouldn't respond in kind, but we do.

DiabloPacMan

Reaction score
How about this part of the Naturalization oath...

" I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen"

Pretty sure that entire process has nothing to do with sports. And it is a mistake to mix non-sports related matters with sports. Why even do so? I for example am extremely thankful for what the US has given me, my parents, siblings and what it will give the baby my "American" wife and I have on the way. But to then say because of that I have to root for the US national team? Growing up, when I was a kid, I didn't even know there was soccer outside of Mexico. That was all my family (Mexican born parents) watched. Then I became aware of other leagues/nations as I grew up.

From day 1 of my soccer life however, the only team I knew of is Mexico. I will always root for Mexico over the US. Simply put, I'm able to separate politics and other matters from sports, many aren't able to do that unfortunately.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Pretty sure that entire process has nothing to do with sports. And it is a mistake to mix non-sports related matters with sports. Why even do so? I for example am extremely thankful for what the US has given me, my parents, siblings and what it will give the baby my "American" wife and I have on the way. But to then say because of that I have to root for the US national team? Growing up, when I was a kid, I didn't even know there was soccer outside of Mexico. That was all my family (Mexican born parents) watched. Then I became aware of other leagues/nations as I grew up.

From day 1 of my soccer life however, the only team I knew of is Mexico. I will always root for Mexico over the US. Simply put, I'm able to separate politics and other matters from sports, many aren't able to do that unfortunately.

Unfortunately, in this instance, it's not so black and white.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake