The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very pleased by the back 4. Venezuela had virtually no chances. Happy with the effort from the new players. Nice to see Clark getting the goal He's a good backup, definitely not starter material.

Good showing overall. Had many chances out of set pieces which is what I would like to see.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Another thing that really impressed me, DCR, is the movement of the ball in passing. Our guys didn't just stand around and hesitate over the ball. The movement was really good. No, the accuracy wasn't anywhere near satisfactory, especially early, but this is a B-side that had limited time together, so that can be forgiven.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing that really impressed me, DCR, is the movement of the ball in passing. Our guys didn't just stand around and hesitate over the ball. The movement was really good. No, the accuracy wasn't anywhere near satisfactory, especially early, but this is a B-side that had limited time together, so that can be forgiven.

Absolutely. I was impressed at the way they fought to get possession back after they lost it. There were many sliding tackles out there.

This team is still lacking that creative midfielder to get the ball forward. The Felihaber pass to Brek Shea was the exception.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also was impressed with De La Garza playing RB out of position. His passes were terrible, but his defense was impressive.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good performance by AJ Delagarza. I hope he plays vs Panama. Good performance by Cameron too. I do not like Jones. He is a hot head, gets carded pretty much every game with his club, and seems like a ticking time bomb. More trouble than he is worth IMO and I don't think we need him in MF anyway.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good performance by AJ Delagarza. I hope he plays vs Panama. Good performance by Cameron too. I do not like Jones. He is a hot head, gets carded pretty much every game with his club, and seems like a ticking time bomb. More trouble than he is worth IMO and I don't think we need him in MF anyway.

We definitely need him now. We won't when players like Torres/Holden are back for sure.

He was easily the man of the match for me as well.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We definitely need him now. We won't when players like Torres/Holden are back for sure.

He was easily the man of the match for me as well.

I don't think we ever need him. With him on the pitch you are one red card away from playing down a man. Not worth it IMO. He is suspended 8 weeks from his club! The play where he really lost me was the terrible pass followed by the reckless assassination at midfield which drew a card. Not my style, don't find it necessary. 6 yellows in 10 club games this year. I hope I am wrong but I don't have a good feeling about this guy. I would place Edu and Bradley above him in the pecking order, but my name isn't Klinsmann so it doesn't matter what I think haha.

Stout

Reaction score

He's also 30, they said, so he isn't in our long-term plans anyway.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I got my Olympic Qualifying tickets today, 3 games in Nashville in March (Canada, Cuba, El Salvador). I have high hopes for this U23 team, I hope they don't dissapoint.

Speaking of Olympic Qualifying...how about the US women winning their first 2 games by a combined 27-0!?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my Olympic Qualifying tickets today, 3 games in Nashville in March (Canada, Cuba, El Salvador). I have high hopes for this U23 team, I hope they don't dissapoint.

Speaking of Olympic Qualifying...how about the US women winning their first 2 games by a combined 27-0!?

You can watch a replay of the USA/Mexico match from last night on

http://universalsports.com

you can watch all 3 games there.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
What the hell!?!?!? I went to ESPN 3 and it won't play for me! Do they only allow you to watch selective programs after the play date or what? Why the hell can't we get Men's National Team games on TV???

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the hell!?!?!? I went to ESPN 3 and it won't play for me! Do they only allow you to watch selective programs after the play date or what? Why the hell can't we get Men's National Team games on TV???

What ISP do you have? You have to authenticate with your Cox account to watch games. You can watch anything on the site. It isn't selective.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recap for Stout if he went into blackout.

This game was very disappointing to me. It definitely felt like we stole one here. Panama dominated us in just about every way. As good as our defensive midfield was against Venezuela, they were as bad or worse against Panama. I have never seen those midfield runs so successful over and over again. I'd have a hard time giving the man of the match to anyone, except maybe Rimando, but he was sketchy a couple times back there too.

Stout

Reaction score
What ISP do you have? You have to authenticate with your Cox account to watch games. You can watch anything on the site. It isn't selective.

No, apparently ESPN 3 decided it didn't want to let people watch the game last night after it was over, but it was okay to let people watch it today. Stupid, stupid ESPN!!! Thankfully no one had commented on the game last night, and I didn't check this morning to keep the score blackout in effect :D

As for the game? Yeah, pretty ugly. Our goalies have some skill, but have a TON to learn. Johnson....STOP THE QUICK STARTS, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!! Does he not understand the game situation? Nice goal from Zisu (sp?). Our defense stunk...until we went to 10 men. I don't care what the announcers said about it...we screwed up in defense to give them the chance, then made a stupid foul. That was a deserved red card, no two ways about it. But then our defense became more solid. Yes, they screwed up some chances, and yes, they played awful in the second half.

Hell. We get a 1-0 win in Panama with our B-side, for our 3rd win in a row. I'll frickin' take it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, apparently ESPN 3 decided it didn't want to let people watch the game last night after it was over, but it was okay to let people watch it today. Stupid, stupid ESPN!!! Thankfully no one had commented on the game last night, and I didn't check this morning to keep the score blackout in effect :D

As for the game? Yeah, pretty ugly. Our goalies have some skill, but have a TON to learn. Johnson....STOP THE QUICK STARTS, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!! Does he not understand the game situation? Nice goal from Zisu (sp?). Our defense stunk...until we went to 10 men. I don't care what the announcers said about it...we screwed up in defense to give them the chance, then made a stupid foul. That was a deserved red card, no two ways about it. But then our defense became more solid. Yes, they screwed up some chances, and yes, they played awful in the second half.

Hell. We get a 1-0 win in Panama with our B-side, for our 3rd win in a row. I'll frickin' take it.

Absolutely agree about the red card. I thought it was a clear goal scoring opportunity and should have been a red card. You could argue a yellow card, but IMO it was red.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laundry list of recent USNT news --

US Women play a friendly against New Zealand in Dallas on Saturday. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that one is on TV. They then travel at the end of the month to Portugal for the Algarve Cup.

For the USMNT, it looks like the Spring/Summer friendly schedule is nearly sorted out as follows:

Wed Feb 29 -- vs. Italy (Genoa, Italy)
Sat May 26 -- vs. Scotland (Somewhere in US) **Not official yet
Wed May 30 -- vs. Brazil (FedEx Field, Landover, MD)
Sun June 3 -- vs. Canada (BMO Field, Toronto, Canada)

The US then starts World Cup Qualifying on June 8th against Antigua and Barbuda. The US hasn't announced where any of those games will be held yet, but hopefully one will be played at least in a state that borders Arizona. LA, Salt Lake, and Colorado all hosted a 2010 WCQ game so it's likely there will be one not too far away. There's also a friendly scheduled for August against Mexico in Azteca that I do not believe is official yet.

SBI says that a 16 team joint CONCACAF/Conmebol tournament is being discussed for 2016, which would be awesome if that winds up happening. It's an off year for all of the major tournaments for the two confederations, so it would be great to fill in that hole with a worthwhile event. -- http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...anning-18-team-copa-america-in-2016.html#more

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates. I am really hoping a WCQ will be in RFK Stadium in DC. Man that was an awesome atmosphere for the Gold Cup.

Not so sure I will go to the US v. Brazil matchup. I am going to push hard for the Argentina vs. Brazil friendly in Giants Stadium.

The greatest rivalry of the Western Hemisphere is landing in New Jersey.
Mark your calendar for June 9th folks. That is when Argentina and Brazil will face off at Metlife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. for a friendly that will surely be the highlight of your soccer summer. AFA, the Argentine Football Association, confirmed the date this afternoon.
And who is going to be playing? Your guess is as good as mine, but it does fall on a FIFA calendar date, increasing the possibility that both teams will feature some of their brightest stars for the confrontation, including young phenom Neymar and three time Ballon d’Or winner, Lionel Messi.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laundry list of recent USNT news --

US Women play a friendly against New Zealand in Dallas on Saturday. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that one is on TV. They then travel at the end of the month to Portugal for the Algarve Cup.

For the USMNT, it looks like the Spring/Summer friendly schedule is nearly sorted out as follows:

Wed Feb 29 -- vs. Italy (Genoa, Italy)
Sat May 26 -- vs. Scotland (Somewhere in US) **Not official yet
Wed May 30 -- vs. Brazil (FedEx Field, Landover, MD)
Sun June 3 -- vs. Canada (BMO Field, Toronto, Canada)

The US then starts World Cup Qualifying on June 8th against Antigua and Barbuda. The US hasn't announced where any of those games will be held yet, but hopefully one will be played at least in a state that borders Arizona. LA, Salt Lake, and Colorado all hosted a 2010 WCQ game so it's likely there will be one not too far away. There's also a friendly scheduled for August against Mexico in Azteca that I do not believe is official yet.

SBI says that a 16 team joint CONCACAF/Conmebol tournament is being discussed for 2016, which would be awesome if that winds up happening. It's an off year for all of the major tournaments for the two confederations, so it would be great to fill in that hole with a worthwhile event. -- http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...anning-18-team-copa-america-in-2016.html#more

Good info here. I'm really looking forward to the Italy game, although I fear we lose 2-0. Should be a good test for this team going forward. Might be the first time we see Donovan/Dempsey together under Klinsmann.

I'd also like to see Klinsmann push Dempsey up front with Altidore and run a 4-4-2. I understand that he likes Dempsey the freedom to move around in the midfield, but he's the only one we've got with true finishing ability at the moment.

Not as sold on Brek Shea as Klinsmann seems to be.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How about a 4-2-3-1?

Ream - Bocanegra-Spector-Cherundelo
------Bradley-------Jones-------
Altidore --- Dempsey --- Donovan
-----------Aguedelo-----------

Does this provide more flexibility in the middle? Maybe some of the names should change but it might allow Dempsey the freedom to roam while also providing a very aggressive attack.

Shea for Altidore and Adu for Agedelo seems to work in my very simple mind.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake