The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
True, but international friendlies and the like, he'll sit along with his opportunities.

Most friendlies are on FIFA dates too...the club can make it difficult but can't outright deny him. I think US Soccer gave him, Dempsey, Cherundolo and Bocanegra a break for the MX friendly for whatever reason.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most friendlies are on FIFA dates too...the club can make it difficult but can't outright deny him.

Of course. Difficult is enough when Gomez and Boyd seem to be getting all of the playing time he used to have.

I think US Soccer gave him, Dempsey, Cherundolo and Bocanegra a break for the MX friendly for whatever reason.

Good. Let's hope it is more of the same. We need to get younger in defense. Dempsey needs to the the CF on this team. Forget Boyd/Altidore/Gomez. Let them all play wide.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I actually think Torres is exactly what this team needs. They just do not use them correctly. The back line seems to just long ball to the strikers completely bypassing the midfield. This team needs to learn possession football in the worst way and Torres is part of the solution there, not the problem.

There was no playing from the back today, everything was long ball and defense. It was frustrating to watch when they have enough creative midfielders in Bradley/Torres/Donovan to keep possession.

As with CHF, I keep hearing about how Torres has these skills, but he certainly has done a good job of hiding them. I'd be very surprised if he gets significant minutes in the next WC.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bradley is out for the WCQ matches against Jamaica with an injury. Roster should be coming out soon.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Onyewu loan to Malaga (La Liga, Champions League)
Bocanegra loan to Racing Santander (Spain 2nd div)
Dempsey transfer to Tottenham
Edu and Cameron got their moves to Stoke City sorted out as well

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am surprised Boca didn't end up back in MLS and shocked that a Champ Lg side wanted Onyewu.

It would be kinda cool if Edu played centerback with Stoke and was partnered with Cameron there, that would be good for the Nats.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roster below for the Jamaica WCQs. No Donovan or Bradley (both injured). Gatt was hurt today so he could be replaced. Otherwise no real surprises except perhaps the omission of Lichaj, but he really needs to establish his place at Aston Villa right now.

GOALKEEPERS (4)*: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (9)*: Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Maurice Edu (Stoke City), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)

MIDFIELDERS (8)*: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Joshua Gatt (Molde), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4*): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Herculez Gomez (Santos)

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the roster is looking soft in the midfield, who knows if Dempsey will be ready to play 90 minutes either. Wouldn't count on it. They may want to replace Gatt with a dependable vet like Beasley.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roster below for the Jamaica WCQs. No Donovan or Bradley (both injured). Gatt was hurt today so he could be replaced. Otherwise no real surprises except perhaps the omission of Lichaj, but he really needs to establish his place at Aston Villa right now.

GOALKEEPERS (4)*: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (9)*: Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Maurice Edu (Stoke City), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)

MIDFIELDERS (8)*: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Joshua Gatt (Molde), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4*): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Herculez Gomez (Santos)

Definitely worried about the Jamaican wingers hurting us with their speed.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told that ESPN3 will be streaming it but I haven't checked for myself yet.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked, and the game isn't listed for tomorrow :(

Yeah I don't see it either. I can't believe the rights to the away qualifiers were picked up by a network owned by Al Jazeera (seriously).

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
As a Cox subscriber, anyone know where you can stream it?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FIFA has to change these distribution rules, this is freaking stupid.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a Cox subscriber, anyone know where you can stream it?

I have been using rojadirecta.me as the site to stream and download games. ESPN3 is getting the game on the 11th, not today's game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A heads up for Comcast subscribers...they just acquired beIN sports yesterday, but do not have the English Channel set up yet...but the Spanish Channel IS available today. They are showing the game there on a tape delay...11:45pm eastern. You do need the sports pack, however...which my parents don't get :(

Edit: It is on channel 581.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Our midfield reminds me of the Cardinals offensive line. Horrible.

We were dominated from minute 5 to minute 90. Klinsman's lineup was crappy also. Beckerman cannot hold up to the athleticism of the reggae boys.

Horrible performance.

Oh.... And Jozy Altidore either sucks.... or is the best trained Ninja on the planet. I cannot figure out which it is.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Really hard to comment on Jozy and Hercules, the mids couldn't get them the ball. Beckerman and Jones are awful, and I don't understand how either still starts. Especially Beckerman, who was almost single handedly responsible for the first goal.

Defense on a whole was decent, like our youth and potential, and I thought Parkhurst played well.

All in all, a very weak effort. We desperately need Donovan and Bradley back in the lineup, and probably still need another mid who can control and distribute.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beckerman is Klinsmann's Bornstein, except that he doesn't have the excuse of playing a position the US is paper thin at.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah, Beckerman's useless. Jones isn't much use--he doesn't have a damn bit of skill on the ball, and doesn't shut down the opponent's midfield. He's tough...and that's about it. Also good for getting a stupid yellow card in every game.

The big problem this team has, even when we have all hands on deck, is what the announcers talked about all night--we haven't had a true #10 for a long time. We don't have a Reyna or a Ramos to take command of the midfield and distribute the ball forward. Jozy is having a killer season at his club, but trust me when I say that a forward that never gets distribution is probably going to be useless. My English team, Newcastle, have two incredible strikers in Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse...and in three games, they have combined for one goal. Why? They haven't gotten the ball.

This was a shameful performance, no matter what. No excuses. We were effectively dominated by Jamaice, and while it was a qualifying match away to a decent side, we CANNOT allow this to happen. A draw was pretty much the least result we could get. Now we are not in control of our own destiny, and that's an awfu and unforgivable thing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a shameful performance, no matter what. No excuses. We were effectively dominated by Jamaice, and while it was a qualifying match away to a decent side, we CANNOT allow this to happen. A draw was pretty much the least result we could get. Now we are not in control of our own destiny, and that's an awfu and unforgivable thing.

If we win the final 3 games, we are in. We still control our own destiny, but we can't afford to drop any more points.