The Official US Soccer thread

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I just finished watching the Guatemala vs Antigua game..... And it might go down as the wettest sporting event I have ever witnessed. I was in awe.

It was a deluge. It was EPIC. Puddles atleast 4 inches deep and 20 feet long. The ball would be heading out and just drown before the sideline.

If you get the chance......Watch this one. It was a good game also.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
GREAT first half and up to the goal in the 2nd, but we looked inept after the goal, like watching a different team. Glad to get the 3 points, we deserved it after the first half, but really disgusted by the subs. All 3 were either no-shows (Brek Shae) or gave the ball away every time they touched it (Edu and Jozy).

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Nothing pisses me off more than watching that crap sandwich we laid after getting that goal. Jozy is horrible and has been horrible for a while. Why Klinsman takes out Gomez instead of Clint is beyond me also. Clint for Jozy seems like an even switch whereas removing Gomez seems like putting two identical strikers up top.

Williams, Cameron, Cherundelo, Johnson, Bocanegra, Gomez, & Zusi made me very happy tonight...... Until we played like posers after that goal.

How do you go from having 85% of the possession to having less than 20%? It was pathetic.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Just glad that Beckerman didn't see the light of day, absolutely no reason he should ever start ahead of Williams, who almost had a golazo.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sure hope somebody is making a gif of Dempsey mocking the Jamaicans.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They looked sloppy after the goal, but the definitely appeared to be more defensive orientated. A performance like that in the Gold Cup would have secured the win. I don't mind changing the tactics after a goal.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They looked sloppy after the goal, but the definitely appeared to be more defensive orientated. A performance like that in the Gold Cup would have secured the win. I don't mind changing the tactics after a goal.

I agree with most of the sentiments already stated about the game, but I have to disagree here. There's a huge difference between changing to an organized, defensive game, and haphazardly taking your foot off the gas, just plain sucking, and getting incredibly lucky. We did pretty much what Jamaica did until we scored: prayed that our opponent wouldn't score.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with most of the sentiments already stated about the game, but I have to disagree here. There's a huge difference between changing to an organized, defensive game, and haphazardly taking your foot off the gas, just plain sucking, and getting incredibly lucky. We did pretty much what Jamaica did until we scored: prayed that our opponent wouldn't score.

Except that Jamiaca had exactly one or two viable chances to score the entire game. One was a save from a 25+ yard shot that Howard had covered all the way. The other was from a corner.

Yes, the offense played like crap the last 3rd of the game. Jamaica's offense was non-existent though nearly the entire game.

I don't have the same distaste that most of you share after our goal. IMO, the only chance the Jamaica had was on the counter, and we stopped that very well.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Except that Jamiaca had exactly one or two viable chances to score the entire game. One was a save from a 25+ yard shot that Howard had covered all the way. The other was from a corner.

Yes, the offense played like crap the last 3rd of the game. Jamaica's offense was non-existent though nearly the entire game.

I don't have the same distaste that most of you share after our goal. IMO, the only chance the Jamaica had was on the counter, and we stopped that very well.

I think part of what we are angry about has nothing to do with Jamaica. Why do it when in a REAL World Cup situation, it would be suicide? We would have been pummled had we done that with any top tier team from Europe or South America.

Granted, because of the level of competition, we didn't HAVE to, but it really stinks to see a team trying to gel play that kind of soccer, which is reserved for great teams with wall-like defense and the ability to hold possession indefinitely. The US, sadly is neither of those.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of what we are angry about has nothing to do with Jamaica. Why do it when in a REAL World Cup situation, it would be suicide? We would have been pummled had we done that with any top tier team from Europe or South America.

Granted, because of the level of competition, we didn't HAVE to, but it really stinks to see a team trying to gel play that kind of soccer, which is reserved for great teams with wall-like defense and the ability to hold possession indefinitely. The US, sadly is neither of those.

Of course they aren't as good as a top tier Europe of South America team. I dont think that we could even argue that we are close. The game and situation we were in, we needed to secure the win at all costs. Sure, watching them go straight ahead for 90 minutes would have looked sexy, but a counter attack and a score would have been disastrous.

If we win against Antigua & Barbuda and Jamaica/Guatemala tie, we would be in a much better situation. I would like to see us play better possession football like we did in the first half, for sure.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Of course they aren't as good as a top tier Europe of South America team. I dont think that we could even argue that we are close. The game and situation we were in, we needed to secure the win at all costs. Sure, watching them go straight ahead for 90 minutes would have looked sexy, but a counter attack and a score would have been disastrous.

If we win against Antigua & Barbuda and Jamaica/Guatemala tie, we would be in a much better situation. I would like to see us play better possession football like we did in the first half, for sure.

I don't understand how you can think that what we did was effective. Sure, they didn't score, but that's more because they kept making silly mistakes with their passing and the ball at their feet, but Jamaica clearly was the better team on the field for the final 30 minutes. Even the ESPN commentators were talking about it. If they had scored, would you still be singing this tune? Because it was definitely possible, with the way Edu and Shea played. Luckily Carlos Bocanegra was there.

You can look back and say it was the right thing in hindsight, but that wasn't a cohesive team playing at the end of the game, and that doesn't bode well going forward.

Stout

Reaction score
I don't understand how you can think that what we did was effective. Sure, they didn't score, but that's more because they kept making silly mistakes with their passing and the ball at their feet, but Jamaica clearly was the better team on the field for the final 30 minutes. Even the ESPN commentators were talking about it. If they had scored, would you still be singing this tune? Because it was definitely possible, with the way Edu and Shea played. Luckily Carlos Bocanegra was there.

You can look back and say it was the right thing in hindsight, but that wasn't a cohesive team playing at the end of the game, and that doesn't bode well going forward.

Seriously! You have answered this quite well for me. I mean, it was just an awful, stupid decision, to suddenly try to bunker, and it could easily have cost us the result. We were quite fortunate that they weren't able to capitalize on our poor tactics.

Effin' awesome! :thumbup:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How many times have teams done that only to have it bite them in the arse. They had atleast 3 to 4 corners, one really solid cross to Johnson that was very close to being converted, 2 to 3 free kicks from distance (like the ones they converted last week), and an enormous gap in athleticism down Cherundelo's side.

Jurgen better have learned from this.... It will cost us in a spot that matters down the road.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe you guys forgot last year's Gold Cup. 2-0 up against Mexico and they didn't adjust tactics.

I'm all for adjusting tactics in a game of that magnitude. I already mentioned that I would like to see them play the way that they did in the first half more often, but certain situations call for them. This was clearly one of them IMO.

You guys must hate it when teams run the ball in the 4th quarter as well....

Stout

Reaction score
Maybe you guys forgot last year's Gold Cup. 2-0 up against Mexico and they didn't adjust tactics.

I'm all for adjusting tactics in a game of that magnitude. I already mentioned that I would like to see them play the way that they did in the first half more often, but certain situations call for them. This was clearly one of them IMO.

Wow, is this ever the ultimate representation of an apples to oranges comparison. Up 2-0...NOT 1-0, but 2-0....HUUUUUUUUGE difference. When you're up 1-0, anything can cost you the win. One stumble by a defender, one good individual play, one nice cross, a won corner...anything. Sure, if you're a minnow and you somehow manage to eke out a fluky goal, you bunker...you certainly don't bunker in any other case...it's just plain asking for trouble. Up 2-0? Well, you certainly don't want to just bunker--that's for minnows only, IMO--but you pull back and play a defensive game, with the threat of a counterstrike. You might concede a goal for lack of offensive pressure, but then you still have the lead.

No, I don't hate it when teams run the ball in the 4th quarter...because it is a low-risk proposition. What are the chances a team is going to cause a fumble, pick it up, and run it down the field? It also has other benefits--not stopping the clock, not tempting fate with possible interceptions or sacks. It has absolutely zero comparability to bunkering in soccer.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

This current team is arguably worse than that team that was up 2-0 against Mexico.

This is a team in transition. Up 1-0 against a side that beat you the previous week is all well and dandy, but I don't think you understand what we're saying. The tactic they tried, while lucky to work this time, is grounds for disaster when you're a team that has a suspect defense and cannot hold the ball. Bunkering down is great if a) you can keep possession limiting the other team's chances regardless of the speed of the game and b) keep good shape and actually play solid defense. I don't see how anyone who watches this current team can be comfortable with either of those.

You're talking about a tactic that Spain loves to use late in the game. They do it because they CAN. We looked like the Keystone Cops out there.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, is this ever the ultimate representation of an apples to oranges comparison. Up 2-0...NOT 1-0, but 2-0....HUUUUUUUUGE difference. When you're up 1-0, anything can cost you the win. One stumble by a defender, one good individual play, one nice cross, a won corner...anything. Sure, if you're a minnow and you somehow manage to eke out a fluky goal, you bunker...you certainly don't bunker in any other case...it's just plain asking for trouble. Up 2-0? Well, you certainly don't want to just bunker--that's for minnows only, IMO--but you pull back and play a defensive game, with the threat of a counterstrike. You might concede a goal for lack of offensive pressure, but then you still have the lead.

No, I don't hate it when teams run the ball in the 4th quarter...because it is a low-risk proposition. What are the chances a team is going to cause a fumble, pick it up, and run it down the field? It also has other benefits--not stopping the clock, not tempting fate with possible interceptions or sacks. It has absolutely zero comparability to bunkering in soccer.

You are also acting like this team isn't susceptible to the counter and long balls. This defense has been taken advantage of on long balls through the middle and on free kicks.

The US offense was inept during the final 3rd of the game sure, but their defense was fine. Jamaica had exactly one shot on goal the entire game and that was from about 30 yards away.

Think baby steps people. Think positive. We had 45 minutes of near flawless football for the first under the Klinsmann era. We won a must win game and now on top of our group. From everyone's reaction, I thought you guys were talking about the first game and not this most recent one.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You are also acting like this team isn't susceptible to the counter and long balls. This defense has been taken advantage of on long balls through the middle and on free kicks.

The US offense was inept during the final 3rd of the game sure, but their defense was fine. Jamaica had exactly one shot on goal the entire game and that was from about 30 yards away.

Think baby steps people. Think positive. We had 45 minutes of near flawless football for the first under the Klinsmann era. We won a must win game and now on top of our group. From everyone's reaction, I thought you guys were talking about the first game and not this most recent one.

We're glad that we won, of course. But the difference between before the goal and after the goal was extremely concerning. Why can't we think that? I'm not satisfied with "just good enough against Jamaica."

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're glad that we won, of course. But the difference between before the goal and after the goal was extremely concerning. Why can't we think that? I'm not satisfied with "just good enough against Jamaica."

I am more concerned about getting to the WC and then I'll worry about how we play in the WC in a couple of years.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So do you guys think bunkering against Jamaica is good preparation for a WC?

And how is that developing kids so they are ready for the WC going?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So do you guys think bunkering against Jamaica is good preparation for a WC?

And how is that developing kids so they are ready for the WC going?

Apparently I am the only one that thinks that. It is more important to get there than to not. (see Olympics)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake