The Official US Soccer thread

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently I am the only one that thinks that. It is more important to get there than to not. (see Olympics)
I am thinking that the US has trouble scoring so they should maybe try to score, instead of passing the basketball around in a four corners offense. #notshotclock #sports

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, what?

It is more important to get to the World Cup than to not. The US had opportunities to bunker in the final Olympic qualifier and didn't. (fluke goal yes)

Do what you need to do to get there. If we had 12 points right now instead of 7, this is a different conversation.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking that the US has trouble scoring so they should maybe try to score, instead of passing the basketball around in a four corners offense. #notshotclock #sports

I think the biggest problem is that the US has trouble keeping possession. They did an amazing job in the first half. I just do not think that they are capable of it most of the time with the teams that they have been fielding. They definitely aren't capable of doing it all game or game after game.This team isn't built like that.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is more important to get to the World Cup than to not. The US had opportunities to bunker in the final Olympic qualifier and didn't. (fluke goal yes)

Do what you need to do to get there. If we had 12 points right now instead of 7, this is a different conversation.
Sorry, I was multitasking. NEvermind. :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem is that the US has trouble keeping possession. They did an amazing job in the first half. I just do not think that they are capable of it most of the time with the teams that they have been fielding. They definitely aren't capable of doing it all game or game after game.This team isn't built like that.

So, the better idea is to bunker when we aren't any good at keeping possession? That just leads to turnovers in the defensive third of the field. As someone mentioned already, lack of shots/goals by Jamaica doesn't justify what we did. We were awful and kept turning the ball over to them; thankfully they were just as inept when they got it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the better idea is to bunker when we aren't any good at keeping possession? That just leads to turnovers in the defensive third of the field. As someone mentioned already, lack of shots/goals by Jamaica doesn't justify what we did. We were awful and kept turning the ball over to them; thankfully they were just as inept when they got it.

It is what it is. Look at their substitutes to end the game. Torres out, Shea in is a net negative in terms to possession. Zusi out, Edu in, same thing. You have to do something; neither of these players are 90 minute starters. Who do you replace them with and not lose some of your possession. We don't have anyone on the bench now better than them. Same thing with Gomez out, Altidore in. These guys that they have now (especially ones that were subbed in) aren't good at holding the ball.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

So? The fact that we DON'T have 12 points is the whole point!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So? The fact that we DON'T have 12 points is the whole point!

The fact that he do not have 12 points isn't the point. We were talking about 25-30 minutes of this past game. That's what all of the debate was about.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The fact that he do not have 12 points isn't the point. We were talking about 25-30 minutes of this past game. That's what all of the debate was about.

Yes, but that 25-30 minutes is not the exception, but the rule. The unusual thing is the 50 minutes we appeared unbeatable. That won't happen very much because we obviously don't practice it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So where is this Jozy with the national team? Could really use him.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He hasn't exactly been given starting chances much in the Klinsmann era.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Short on starts and on service under Klinsmann.

The lack of service is killing him and the whole team. He is not an effective lone striker. I'd really like to see him and Boyd play together, they have similar styles but they could also complement each other as they both seem to move well off the ball.

BTW I saw it mentioned on Soccer By Ives the other day, the only US player to score more international goals by his age than Altidore is Donovan. So he does produce he just hasn't produced in a long time....I think they said 10 months now.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I think we will try to make that one as well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was an amazing goal. I have never seem Jozy with that kind of footwork for the US team. You never see him beat one defender off of the dribble. That time he beat 3.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That was an amazing goal. I have never seem Jozy with that kind of footwork for the US team. You never see him beat one defender off of the dribble. That time he beat 3.

I don't think that's correct. I've seen him hold the ball up and beat a defender or two off the dribble. The problem is, when he gets the ball off a long, purely speculative lob (because let's face it, that's about the only service he gets), he has half a team to beat, with no support to pass the ball to. That's the problem--not enough service, and no support when he does get the ball. I don't care who you are, no one will thrive much in that kind of scenario.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Roster for upcoming qualifiers...

GOALKEEPERS (3) : Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8) : Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Maurice Edu (Stoke City), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)

MIDFIELDERS (8) : Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5): Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Alan Gordon (San Jose Earthquakes), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders)

No Altidore, no Boyd...still no Lichaj

Alan Gordon?!? Really? If we had to take a forward from the Quakes why not Wondo?

Donovan is hurt anyways, so I doubt he plays.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, Jozy is off the roster for the upcoming qualifiers, but Landon is on the roster despite a bad knee.

I am totally out. Totally. Out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Altidore, no Boyd...still no Lichaj

Alan Gordon?!? Really? If we had to take a forward from the Quakes why not Wondo?

Donovan is hurt anyways, so I doubt he plays.

I love that out of 8 midfielders, only one (Bradley) knows how to hold the ball up and keep possession. One and a half if you give Zusi the benefit of the doubt.

Jozy probably didnt get permission to leave. INTL dates, blah blah blah. With his team not letting him go freely all the time and his lack of playing time, I'm not surprised to see him not wanting to come back.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that out of 8 midfielders, only one (Bradley) knows how to hold the ball up and keep possession. One and a half if you give Zusi the benefit of the doubt.

Jozy probably didnt get permission to leave. INTL dates, blah blah blah. With his team not letting him go freely all the time and his lack of playing time, I'm not surprised to see him not wanting to come back.
Good points. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake