The Official US Soccer thread

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Yep, only carriers are Directv, Dish and Comcast. It's run by Al-Jazeera.

Ugh.... I didn't know that.

Thankfully I have DirecTV and subscribe to the package that has the game. Unfortunately.... today is my 10 year anniversary. It will have to wait till tomorrow.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rojadirecta.me is the place I usually go

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Assuming we hold on to win...what an ugly performance against a team we should dominate. Dempsey was practically invisible tonight.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I hate feeling this way, but I almost wish we wouldn't qualify for the WC. We're a joke.

Wow, shocking coming from you Chap. We got a result on a crap field when we were short handed. It wasn't pretty, but qualifying in CONCACAF rarely is.

I'm certainly not thrilled with the performance, but a W is a W. I'll take it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. A W is a W. I hope that it was the pitch, because the first touch was horrible for just about everyone. Gomez was invisible except for the two bad touches he had in the box. Dempsey was completely invisible. Johnson was a great addition to the squad and I can see why Klinsmann added him.

A tie and we are in.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I can't believe our fate in the hexagonal comes down to the last game in this group. Jamaica is almost guaranteed to win against Antigua so we need at least a draw against Honduras. And IMO they have played the best of anyone in this group so far.

We got our work cut out for us on Tuesday.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wow, shocking coming from you Chap. We got a result on a crap field when we were short handed. It wasn't pretty, but qualifying in CONCACAF rarely is.

I'm certainly not thrilled with the performance, but a W is a W. I'll take it.

It's more about JK getting his head out of his a$$ and realizing that the "same old, same old" strategy manifested under Bradley is useless.

15 minutes remaining, tied against a team we should be killing and what do we do? Pass backwards! They simply aren't an intelligent team. Dempsey was playing like a holding midfielder for the last 10 minutes. Ridiculous!

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
I can't believe our fate in the hexagonal comes down to the last game in this group. Jamaica is almost guaranteed to win against Antigua so we need at least a draw against Honduras. And IMO they have played the best of anyone in this group so far.

We got our work cut out for us on Tuesday.

Hunduras??

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if we lose, we have a +3 goal differential against Jamaica. We should advance as long as we keep the goal differential low against Guatemala or Jamaica doesn't score 3 on Antigua.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Fabian Johnson won't be able to play against Guatemala. Both teams only need a draw to advance...I expect it to be an awful...awful...boring defensive stalemate

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
JK has been saying in the past few interviews that its not his strategy to pass backwards and hold once we take the lead. He said its a state of mind that we need to change and he kept telling the guys to go forward, but they didnt do it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JK has been saying in the past few interviews that its not his strategy to pass backwards and hold once we take the lead. He said its a state of mind that we need to change and he kept telling the guys to go forward, but they didnt do it.
So he had lost them? Great. Time to start over again.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Dempsey's header off the corner to Boca for the equalizer!

Now we'll see if JK got through to them. They need to push forward to get another goal.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Best response we have seen by the US after conceding an early goal in a really long time.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Best quote of the night: "Job done."

Dempsey was Man of the Match, easily. EJ on the wings is like a taller, stronger Demarcus Beasley-which is a beautiful thing. Johnson still shows problems with first-touch control, but his assist tonight was abandoning his weakness and going with a one-touch pass. Eddie's willingness to be aggressive and take on defenders is a characteristic sorely needed on this team. Bradley was solid and always seemed to be pressing forward. Zusi did well, providing service that was better than expected. Williams had an uneventful night, which is not altogether bad considering his limited experience. Timmy was surprisingly mediocre and the back four have problems. On the conceded goal, one defender was moving forward to play the offside trap while the other was retreating.

Very, very happy with Jurgen's tactics and how well Gomez played within that system. Let me explain: Tonight the MNT finally played a progressive style of soccer and may have found that missing identity in the "false number 9" tactic. They played more of a 4-6-0 system that Spain utilized in Euro 2012. I know Herculez and Duece are labeled as forwards, but neither is a hold-the-ball Center Forward. Other than set pieces, Dempsey has always been effective coming in late as an Attacking Mid and Gomez just seems more comfortable playing wide.

A number of fans have been pulling out hair at the inability to find someone up top who can be counted on consistently. Add to that, the inability to provide service for the forwards has been hindering the National team for the last decade or more. Credit Klinsmann for finding a style that accentuates the talent the MNT have now and abandon tactics that just show their weakness.

I've always believed a strong defense should be the highest priority with any soccer team, but Jurgen seems to be completely convinced that the opposite is true. His pre-game quotes were all about, "We don't want a tie", "moving the ball forward constantly", and "We want to win." Even his half-time answers to questions were about getting the next goal. JK seems to finally be getting his philosophy through to the players - with this squad, the best defense is a good offense... and it can be done without a traditional tactic or style of forward.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake