The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
US roster announced.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (World Cup qualifying Caps/Goals)

GOALKEEPERS (3) : Brad Guzan (Aston Villa - 5/3 SO), Tim Howard (Everton - 22/9 SO), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire - 0/0)

DEFENDERS (9) : Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City - 0/0), Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander - 31/5), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City - 5/0), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana - 0/0), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg - 0/0), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders - 0/0), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy - 0/0), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim - 3/0), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg - 3/0)

MIDFIELDERS (8) : Michael Bradley (Roma - 19/5), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo - 0/0), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor - 9/0), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04 - 5/0), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht - 12/0), Jose Torres (Tigres UANL - 9/0), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim - 4/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City - 3/0)

FORWARDS (4 ): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar - 17/6), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur - 26/10), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna - 6/2), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders - 11/10)

Shocked that both Beckerman and Felihaber aren't on he list.

Glad that Torres is brought back.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hmm, that may be one of the better US rosters minus-Donovan that Klinsmann has come up with. Although still iffy on EJ and Jozy--man, I wish he could show internationally what he does on the club level.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Maybe if Jozy had gotten a real chance under JK, he would.

Granted, the coach does make a difference, but he has had PLENTY of opportunities over the years. Bradley started him every game regardless of whether he played well or not. The good thing about JK is that he doesn't start a guy that plays awful all the time (except for Beckermann, but he's not even on this roster), so it's really all on Jozy to produce. And he simply doesn't at the international level.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Granted, the coach does make a difference, but he has had PLENTY of opportunities over the years. Bradley started him every game regardless of whether he played well or not. The good thing about JK is that he doesn't start a guy that plays awful all the time (except for Beckermann, but he's not even on this roster), so it's really all on Jozy to produce. And he simply doesn't at the international level.

34 games started for the U.S. National Team, and 10 goals scored. Not a bad clip, given that our forwards often get little to no service. The stats say he's done fairly well with his opportunities over the years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
34 games started for the U.S. National Team, and 10 goals scored. Not a bad clip, given that our forwards often get little to no service. The stats say he's done fairly well with his opportunities over the years.

+1. The service he receives is horrendous.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to see Timmy Chandler is in for the long haul. Too bad this thing is on beIN Sport, whatever that is, so five people will be watching. FIFA's licensing rules are insanely stupid.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Please show me when he scored those 10 goals and if they were in games that mattered. When was the last time he scored a goal in a big game that mattered?

Stats mean jack if he's scoring those goals in a friendly against Trinidad and Tobago.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

New kits?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great goal by Dempsey and even better goal by Honduras.

We barely deserve to be tied at this point. They are dominating the game against us right now.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USA loses 2-1. Almost wish Chandler wasn't cap tied. This was by far the worst game I have seen in him and two mistakes by him cost us two goals.

The team played absolutely horribly. There was no creativity at all and it was long ball city. The team couldn't string together 5 passes to save it's life.

Just about everyone had a bad game. They all looked out of shape.

Altidore did well in the few touches he had. Jones had a great assist on the goal.

If the team plays like this, they will not be in the World Cup.

Stout

Reaction score
Wow, way to do all in your power to make sure we lose, JK. Taking your captain central defender out of the lineup for the first WC qualifier--on the road, no less? Brilliant--not. With more than 1/2 an hour to go, starting to make defensive subs (midfielder for forward or midfielder for midfielder) in a clear bid to gain a draw? That's bitch soccer, and deserves a loss. Klestjan (sp)? Really? Why the HELL is he even still on the roster? This was a terribly coached game.

Our defense played like crap. Gonzales--CLOSE DOWN THE GUY WITH THE BALL!!! If you do that, they don't even get the cross in to get the first goal. Instead, he just retreats back to the box to leave a sprinting Johnson to not get anywhere near the ball before it's crossed in. Cameron, WTF are you doing on the first goal? You're going to try to chest a ball at waist height? REALLY? Don't even get me STARTED on the second goal!

Bradley? Can you play like any more of an unmotivated, soft little girl? I can't count the number of balls that I mentally marked down as Bradley's, only to watch him not hustle, pull back, and simply let Honduras have it. He was complete ass in this game.

About the only bright spots were the attacking players. Johnson looked decent and had some energy, in the rare moments he was able to show it. Altidore did well with what he had and helped set up the goal. It was a tough chance, but I would have liked to see him score on that cross. Dempsey had a nice goal.

All in all, you could tell that JK just didn't want to lose the game, and you could tell his team played down to that level. We made Honduras look like Brazil.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a horrible place to play. City is more dangerous than Juarez Mexico/southwest side of Chicago.

Can't blame them for not showing up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, way to do all in your power to make sure we lose, JK. Taking your captain central defender out of the lineup for the first WC qualifier--on the road, no less? Brilliant--not. With more than 1/2 an hour to go, starting to make defensive subs (midfielder for forward or midfielder for midfielder) in a clear bid to gain a draw? That's bitch soccer, and deserves a loss. Klestjan (sp)? Really? Why the HELL is he even still on the roster? This was a terribly coached game.

Our defense played like crap. Gonzales--CLOSE DOWN THE GUY WITH THE BALL!!! If you do that, they don't even get the cross in to get the first goal. Instead, he just retreats back to the box to leave a sprinting Johnson to not get anywhere near the ball before it's crossed in. Cameron, WTF are you doing on the first goal? You're going to try to chest a ball at waist height? REALLY? Don't even get me STARTED on the second goal!

Bradley? Can you play like any more of an unmotivated, soft little girl? I can't count the number of balls that I mentally marked down as Bradley's, only to watch him not hustle, pull back, and simply let Honduras have it. He was complete ass in this game.

About the only bright spots were the attacking players. Johnson looked decent and had some energy, in the rare moments he was able to show it. Altidore did well with what he had and helped set up the goal. It was a tough chance, but I would have liked to see him score on that cross. Dempsey had a nice goal.

All in all, you could tell that JK just didn't want to lose the game, and you could tell his team played down to that level. We made Honduras look like Brazil.

I thought the formation they came out with was very aggressive. I didn't mind the defensive substitution. Williams did nothing out there. (unless you are talking about taking Jones out. I didn't agree with that one and IMO the best player on the pitch today)

I loved the 4-1-3-2 idea, but this team played heartless today. At least they have a while before their next game to try and right the ship.

Stout

Reaction score
I thought the formation they came out with was very aggressive. I didn't mind the defensive substitution. Williams did nothing out there. (unless you are talking about taking Jones out. I didn't agree with that one and IMO the best player on the pitch today)

I loved the 4-1-3-2 idea, but this team played heartless today. At least they have a while before their next game to try and right the ship.

I admittedly had a crappy, foreign-language feed, and didn't get it on until about 10 minutes were gone, so I had no idea what the formation (or even full lineup was) for quite some time. I didn't like him subbing off Johnson at all--right then, I knew JK was just taking the coward's way out and playing for the draw, just like I knew it would backfire. Okay, coward is a bit harsh, but coaching scared is a good way to communicate to your team that you aren't trying to win any more. And this lot was playing like crap already.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Klinsmann has to do something more than just talk a good game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I admittedly had a crappy, foreign-language feed, and didn't get it on until about 10 minutes were gone, so I had no idea what the formation (or even full lineup was) for quite some time. I didn't like him subbing off Johnson at all--right then, I knew JK was just taking the coward's way out and playing for the draw, just like I knew it would backfire. Okay, coward is a bit harsh, but coaching scared is a good way to communicate to your team that you aren't trying to win any more. And this lot was playing like crap already.

I probably watched the same feed as you. It was easily forgettable and thank god we have 9 other matches to redeem ourselves.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That was a crappy crappy game.

Chandler looked horrible.
Klejstan? WTH JK?
How about losing all three subs before 70 minutes?

Utterly stupid. Horribly played. It felt like we bunkered in for the entire 2nd half. Embarrasing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One saving grace is that both of the other games today drew.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...-lose-faith-in-klinsmann's-leadership?cc=5901

So now players are complaining about Klinsmann--looks like an effort to oust him from coaching the national team. My issue about this is where the hell do ANY of our players get the cajones to call out the coach? Right now, most of the young players look like they don't belong on a national team, let alone start complaining that the coaching is making them look bad.

We are just simply terrible. We'll be lucky to make the World Cup at this rate. And we can blame Klinsmann all we want, but a majority of the blame should be placed at the feet of our prima donna sucky players.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't know if I have ever had less confidence in the US National team than I do right now.

From JK's puzzling choices to the lack of team chemistry to the utter lack of effort on the field--the team looks like garbage more often than not...not that I really want it to happen but maybe not qualifying for the WC would be the wake up call our federation needs.