The Official US Soccer thread

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Awesome news. Hopefully we get some games in DC, NY, & Baltimore. I love going to RFK for soccer games like this also. Hopefully the US guys show up. Landon, Howard, & Clint will be pretty old by then.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently US Soccer is saying it isn't a done deal yet. Strange story.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Hexagonal schedule...
RELATED TOPICS

SoccerCONCACAF World Cup qualifying
Advertisement

The fourth and final round of the CONCACAF World Cup qualifying hexagonal schedule was set Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2012 in Miami. The six final qualifiers know when they will face their opponents as they attempt to reach the Brazil 2014 World Cup.

Mexico, USA, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Panama, and Honduras have qualified for the final hexagonal that begins Feb. 6, 2013. Of the six teams, the top three advance to represent CONCACAF at the World Cup. The fourth team has the opportunity to qualify if they win a home-away playoff with the winner of the Oceania Football Confederation in November 2013.

“After a very exciting third round in the CONCACAF qualifiers we are very much looking forward to the last stage to begin and to successfully continue delivering with the finalists the remainder of this competition,” Gordon Savic, head of World Cup and Olympic qualifying said. “The opening matches in February are just around the corner and we shall immediately start coordinating these matches with the respective host member associations. We wish all the national teams the best of luck under the umbrella of ‘Fair Play’ and sportsmanship.”

Game Day one is scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2013 and has Mexico hosting Jamaica. The United States travels to Honduras and Panama hosts Costa Rica.

The hexagonal schedule:

Mar. 22

Jamaica vs. Panama

Honduras vs. Mexico

USA vs. Costa Rica

Mar. 26

Mexico vs. USA

Panama vs. Honduras

Costa Rica vs. Jamaica

June 7

Jamaica vs. USA

Panama vs. Mexico

Costa Rica vs. Honduras

June 11

Mexico vs. Costa Rica

Honduras vs. Jamaica

USA vs. Panama

June 18*

Jamaica vs. Mexico

USA vs. Honduras

Costa Rica vs. Panama

Sept. 6

Mexico vs. Honduras

Panama vs. Jamaica

Costa Rica vs. USA

Sept. 10

Jamaica vs. Costa Rica

Honduras vs. Panama

USA vs. Mexico

Oct. 11

Mexico vs. Panama

Honduras vs. Costa Rica

USA vs. Jamaica

Oct. 15

Jamaica vs. Honduras

Panama vs. USA

Costa Rica vs. Mexico

*The Mexico vs. Jamaica is scheduled to take place on June 4, 2013 to allow Mexico, the CONCACAF representative to participate in the Brazil 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
US Roster for Russia friendly

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard (Everton, England), Sean Johnson (Chicago), Nick Rimando (Salt Lake)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander, Spain), Geoff Cameron (Stoke, England), Timmy Chandler (Nuremberg, Germany), Maurice Edu (Stoke, England), Clarence Goodson (Brondby, Denmark), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim, Germany)

Midfielders: Michael Bradley (Roma, Italy), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg, Norway), Josh Gatt (Molde, Norway), Joe Gyau (St. Pauli, Germany), Jermaine Jones (Schalke, Germany), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht, Belgium), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim, Germany)

Forwards: Juan Agudelo (Chivas USA), Jozy Altidore (Alkmaar, Netherlands), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna, Austria), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna, Mexico)

Most MLS players were left off because of playoffs and the long season just ending.

Good to see Altidore, Boyd and Chandler return. I am still wondering what Lichaj has to do to get called in.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We got the result, and a few youngsters did well, but this was NOT a good game. Inexcusable mistakes, poor defensive organization (including in the midfield)...ugh. We need to stop playing 3 forward and play 4 in the midfield. We need to stop playing 3 defensive midfielders (although I'd argue Bradley is good going forward, he's defensive) because it is NOT working, and...ugh, list is too long.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Jermaine Jones is crap, especially going forward. Goodson is pretty awful as well. Would love to see a back 4 of Chandler/Fabian/Boca and Cameron.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contrary to what the announcers said, I thought Altidore had a good game. He held the ball up well and was active defensively.

I used to think that our back line was the weak link of this team, and with the stupid mistakes they gave away, it might still be. The inability of the midfielders to get the ball to the wingers or Jozy other than a long ball is baffling. This team is in dire need of someone who can do that.

Bradley is our best player with Howard a close 2nd.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got the result, and a few youngsters did well, but this was NOT a good game. Inexcusable mistakes, poor defensive organization (including in the midfield)...ugh. We need to stop playing 3 forward and play 4 in the midfield. We need to stop playing 3 defensive midfielders (although I'd argue Bradley is good going forward, he's defensive) because it is NOT working, and...ugh, list is too long.

We do not have many offensive midfielders to replace them with. Landon is either hurt or with MLS most of the time. Torres has been blacklisted. Adu can't get a chance anymore. This team is in dire need of offensive midfielders.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We do not have many offensive midfielders to replace them with. Landon is either hurt or with MLS most of the time. Torres has been blacklisted. Adu can't get a chance anymore. This team is in dire need of offensive midfielders.

Just a real shame that Stuart Holden can't stay healthy. He was doing really well in the prem before another bad injury.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. Ugh. The future (near future) is not rosy, it seems.

I wouldn't mind Bradley as the attacking midfield option. It is that our defensive midfielders are so poor passing the ball forward, that Bradley has to play defensive. That was a hell of a volley by him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Bradley as the attacking midfield option. It is that our defensive midfielders are so poor passing the ball forward, that Bradley has to play defensive. That was a hell of a volley by him.

Yeah, but 3 forward is not a good option for us, at all, so we need another one. I agree that Bradley can be good moving forward, and has a hell of a strike. Aside from another starter, we need depth coming off the bench too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but 3 forward is not a good option for us, at all, so we need another one. I agree that Bradley can be good moving forward, and has a hell of a strike. Aside from another starter, we need depth coming off the bench too.

Klinsmann loves the 4-3-3 formation, but we have no wingers on this roster. Nobody on this team and cross the ball accurately. Shame really.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Man.... We should refuse to play anymore friendlies with Canada. All I can remember are slog-fests between the two countries. What an ugly game to watch.

Plus, When at least two of the following, Bradley, Donovan, or Dempsey, don't suit up for us, I am convinced that we are going to have a ton of trouble scoring goals.

I liked a little of what I saw from Gatt. Bull in a China shop speed, but poor everything else. He needs to calm down a bit.

Gonzalez..... Ehh. Ok.

Zusi & Davis were the best two players for me on the field.

De Rosario was the best player on the field IMO. Along with that one Canadian defender. I can't remember his name.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Hearing Twellman at the end say "I thought this would be a 3 or 4 to nothing game tonight" makes me wonder what he has been smoking. We better hope we get some guys back for Honduras. That game is going to be a war.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man.... We should refuse to play anymore friendlies with Canada. All I can remember are slog-fests between the two countries. What an ugly game to watch.

Plus, When at least two of the following, Bradley, Donovan, or Dempsey, don't suit up for us, I am convinced that we are going to have a ton of trouble scoring goals.

I liked a little of what I saw from Gatt. Bull in a China shop speed, but poor everything else. He needs to calm down a bit.

Gonzalez..... Ehh. Ok.

Zusi & Davis were the best two players for me on the field.

De Rosario was the best player on the field IMO. Along with that one Canadian defender. I can't remember his name.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Hearing Twellman at the end say "I thought this would be a 3 or 4 to nothing game tonight" makes me wonder what he has been smoking. We better hope we get some guys back for Honduras. That game is going to be a war.

I thought Beckerman played well, which rarely seems to happen wearing a USA kit. I also liked what I saw from Gatt.

No one seemed all that willing to beat their man off of the dribble. I also saw very little secondary runs to attack this game.

Out of those that played today, I see Agudelo, Beckerman, Gonzales, Felihaber, and Johnson as those that will definitely make the hex. Not sure about the others....

That team is so missing creativity in the midfield.