The Official US Soccer thread

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He scored the game winner for Hertha yesterday. I really like this guy and hope he gets a call up for the hex.

Question.....Would he become cap tied if he came on late at Costa Rica? If we were up by 2 or more, I would definitely think about it. Him and Johannson for that matter.
Yes, any WCQ appearance would tie Brooks. Johannsson will be tied once his paperwork goes through.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought his departure was a foregone conclusion and they had moved on to Coentrao. No?

Does anyone here think Dempsey isn't a PL-quality player?

He definitely is PL quality. I don't think he is CL quality. No one is on this team IMO except Michael Bradley and Tim Howard.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roster for the Bosnia game:

GOALKEEPERS: Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS: John Anthony Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Michael Orozco Fiscal (Puebla), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers)

MIDFIELDERS: Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Danny Williams (Reading)

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)

First caps would go to Cropper, Brooks, Johannsson, and Wood.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If our forwards could match the rest of the team, it would look really solid on paper. I guess every soccer team ever says that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
First things first: I hate that Altidore is now with Sunderland :D

Amazing comeback. Altidore's a stud, Howard with some excellent saves, yadda yadda. We had some obvious good performances by some of our solid players.

Brooks had a terrible mistake that led to a Dzecko (sp?) goal, and ball watched to let him get another one late. When the play is still going, you don't frickin' stand around with your hand in the air--you charge back and clear the line after your keeper makes the save. That's your JOB.

That said, he's a kid, so he's going to make a few of those mistakes. In between, for the bulk of the game, he was incredibly solid. I look for good things from this kid moving forward.

Johansson. Wow. This kid looks like the real deal. I understand why Iceland is furious at his defection. he didn't score, but he set himself up with some spectacular plays. He set a few other players up. He even pulled back from a late cross because he knew we needed to keep possession and eat clock.

Excellent comeback. We're streaking!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone's figured things out.

Attachments

• jozy-tread-lightly.jpg
    jozy-tread-lightly.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 70

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First things first: I hate that Altidore is now with Sunderland :D

Amazing comeback. Altidore's a stud, Howard with some excellent saves, yadda yadda. We had some obvious good performances by some of our solid players.

Brooks had a terrible mistake that led to a Dzecko (sp?) goal, and ball watched to let him get another one late. When the play is still going, you don't frickin' stand around with your hand in the air--you charge back and clear the line after your keeper makes the save. That's your JOB.

That said, he's a kid, so he's going to make a few of those mistakes. In between, for the bulk of the game, he was incredibly solid. I look for good things from this kid moving forward.

Johansson. Wow. This kid looks like the real deal. I understand why Iceland is furious at his defection. he didn't score, but he set himself up with some spectacular plays. He set a few other players up. He even pulled back from a late cross because he knew we needed to keep possession and eat clock.

Excellent comeback. We're streaking!

Agreed on Johansson. Also impressed with Fabian Johnson -- again.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone here follows Rog from the Men in Blazers podcast:

roger bennett@rogbennett 2h
I am sitting near a Bosnian commentator. Every time Eddie Johnson touches the ball, he says "Beasley" into his microphone

roger bennett@rogbennett 48m
Jozy Altidore has just single handedly emptied this stadium

roger bennett@rogbennett 2h
"Ne u lice" is apparently how you say "Not in the face" in Bosnian

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Someone's figured things out.

I really hope so .... nice to not only see him scoring goals, but doing so in a way that I'm not accustomed to for the USMNT

He's showing he can put it in on set pieces, he can make a quick and decisive touch on net when receiving the ball and is working his way into space ........ if he can continue to work on getting a quality shot while using his strength and body to move defenders I think he'll be the type of player we were all hoping he could develop into

I hope he can continue to develop and build on this .... definitely a nice streak and a good rebound year for him

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
No Dempsey, no Donovan, no Besler, no Cherundolo...no problem. Although I am starting to think Dolo may be done with age and injuries...still if healthy he is the starting RB.

Also I have now given up on Jermaine Jones, he just doesn't do it, pair someone else with Bradley (the best MF in CONCACAF BTW)...let him come off the bench late in games when his reckless style might make an impact. EJ is frustrating, he was awful in the first half and then turned it up in the second (changing roles/position helped)...he isn't a starter if Donovan or Dempsey are there.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I have now given up on Jermaine Jones, he just doesn't do it, pair someone else with Bradley (the best MF in CONCACAF BTW)...let him come off the bench late in games when his reckless style might make an impact. EJ is frustrating, he was awful in the first half and then turned it up in the second (changing roles/position helped)...he isn't a starter if Donovan or Dempsey are there.

I think EJ is a nice off-the-bench striker, if he can figure out how to get himself going quickly. When he's running with Jozy centered up, they're both so big and strong. It's hard to counter them when they get moving.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nice to see Klinsmann actually say nice things about us--he's looking to get us top 15 in the world.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
No Dempsey, no Donovan, no Besler, no Cherundolo...no problem. Although I am starting to think Dolo may be done with age and injuries...still if healthy he is the starting RB.

Agreed with you on Jones and EJ. Jones has some use as an enforcer type in a very physical game, but when asked to distribute, he's just not good enough. Of all the guys we've moved to defense, maybe Jones would be better as a RB? Perhaps switching him and Fabian Johnson would be worth a shot. Johnson is much better in an attacking/distributing role.

EJ seems like an instant offense sub, not a starter. He has moments of brilliance, but also moments of major frustration. I agree that Donovan and Dempsey are better options up front.

Despite going through a pretty ugly stretch, Klinsman has this team playing beautiful attacking soccer, even against top Euro talent. It's no more bunker in and park the bus, we're actually controlling posession and attacking.

A very exciting day all in all for US soccer, with Johannson and Brooks both looking like legit starting options.

It'll be very interesting to see who is in the starting 11 come WC 2014.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Big difference, Adu was 14 yrs old playing with the U17's.

Brooks is 20 and plays in the Bundesliga and Johannson is 22 plays in the Eredivisie (after already playing in the the Danish Super League--and scoring 23 goals there)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Big difference, Adu was 14 yrs old playing with the U17's.

Brooks is 20 and plays in the Bundesliga and Johannson is 22 plays in the Eredivisie (after already playing in the the Danish Super League--and scoring 23 goals there)

No kidding...talk about apples and oranges. Their competition is what, 2 MLS'ers? Crazy!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ha! Sorry, no no no. Roger Bennett tweeted a post out to American fans, shaming us into not Adu-ing Johannson. I was just running with the joke.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Il Generale won't be going to Sunderland. Roma declined the €7 million offer, saying the minimal winning bid would be at least €12 million.

OTOH, Donovan toying with the idea of a winter move to Europe. MLS contract is up in January. Sounds like Milan is interested. I don't know how much Donovan would want to be a bench player there, but I think he's trying to impress Klinsmann.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donovan is signing a new deal to stay with the Galaxy per SI. Its possible he could go to Europe via a winter loan as Dempsey is expected to.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donovan is signing a new deal to stay with the Galaxy per SI. Its possible he could go to Europe via a winter loan as Dempsey is expected to.

Very cool. Donovan needs to keep his legs, not travel. Though I think, by reputation, MLS is more physical than La Liga. Don't know how true that is. I'd be curious how many people Eddie Johnson intends on hurting this year. Dude's a goon. Also worried the other long tooth, Tim Howard. Guessing it's the last run for those two. I want them to stay healthy!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake