The Official US Soccer thread

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phew!

Edit: I hope they fired the barber that took the weedwhacker to Shea's head.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holden has a torn ACL, though sounds like its on the opposite leg from the one that was broken. Tough to watch how devastated he looked on the bench on Sunday. You could tell how much he means to his teammates when he led them out to the medal podium.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holden has a torn ACL, though sounds like its on the opposite leg from the one that was broken. Tough to watch how devastated he looked on the bench on Sunday. You could tell how much he means to his teammates when he led them out to the medal podium.

Un freaking believable. It looked like an innocent knock of knees. I feel for him.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we're playing footsie with a few of our Germericans, and Klinsman is winning that tug of war. I wonder if the payoff will be worth it.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we're playing footsie with a few of our Germericans, and Klinsman is winning that tug of war. I wonder if the payoff will be worth it.

I'm not sure if this is referring to something recent?

John Anthony Brooks (now in the Bundesliga) is getting a call up for the Bosnia friendly, but that won't cap tie him. Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkamaar forward, briefly played with Altidore) on the other hand is filing his one time switch to play for the US. Dual US and Icelandic citizenship, he'll also be at the Bosnia game if the paperwork goes through in time.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN says Dempsey is transferring to Seattle. Um... did not see that coming.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is referring to something recent?

John Anthony Brooks (now in the Bundesliga) is getting a call up for the Bosnia friendly, but that won't cap tie him. Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkamaar forward, briefly played with Altidore) on the other hand is filing his one time switch to play for the US. Dual US and Icelandic citizenship, he'll also be at the Bosnia game if the paperwork goes through in time.

Sounds like Anthony Brooks can be a star, very discouraged to hear that Dempsey is going to the MLS, especially considering the run up to the world cup. Even a 2nd tier prem team would have been a much better choice.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is about money for Dempsey. He's getting $8 mil a year. Plus, he'll get loaned to Europe in the winter.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is about money for Dempsey. He's getting $8 mil a year. Plus, he'll get loaned to Europe in the winter.
It is also possible that this was the best opportunity for prestige and playing time. He may not have been good enough to play for a top EPL side regularly, and he may not have wanted to play for an EPL team that wasn't where he wanted to go (and wouldn't have paid him $8).

I agree, he will get loaned to Europe.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He is certainly still good enough (last season proved that), but Spurs have signed Soldado and are going in a different direction.

He has been a brilliant Premier League player for the last few years. A great coup for the MLS to get a player who is still at the top.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is certainly still good enough (last season proved that), but Spurs have signed Soldado and are going in a different direction.

He has been a brilliant Premier League player for the last few years. A great coup for the MLS to get a player who is still at the top.

Last season was a bit of a hiccup for Dempsey due to lack of playing time, but the season before than he was certainly good enough.

It is a double edged sword I suppose. Klinsmann wants him to be getting 90 minutes regularly, but also at the highest competition.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have heard a few people say last season was a hiccup, but he played over 40 times and scored 12 goals. In a team that he was forced to play in a few different positions, which were changed weekly.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard a few people say last season was a hiccup, but he played over 40 times and scored 12 goals. In a team that he was forced to play in a few different positions, which were changed weekly.

He's just a poor fit for T-Ham now. I've wondered when the NBA might start losing international players who are two one- or two-dimensional and don't have a good team fit. I expect, at some point, Ricky Rubio will flee back to Spain. Great player. It's just hard to see how he fits the American game over the course of a season.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Tottenham goes in a different direction, that is some sign to me that they didn't think Demp was good enough to play regularly for them.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Could this be Gareth Bale fallout?

"See, Gareth? We want you to stay so bad, we got rid of one of our good scoring midfielders!"

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Been pretty quiet on the Mexico front as of late...color me shocked!

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Anthony Brooks turned down a call up with the German youth team to play in the US friendly against Bosnia and Herzegovina. That wouldn't tie him to the US though.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
John Anthony Brooks turned down a call up with the German youth team to play in the US friendly against Bosnia and Herzegovina. That wouldn't tie him to the US though.

He scored the game winner for Hertha yesterday. I really like this guy and hope he gets a call up for the hex.

Question.....Would he become cap tied if he came on late at Costa Rica? If we were up by 2 or more, I would definitely think about it. Him and Johannson for that matter.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could this be Gareth Bale fallout?

"See, Gareth? We want you to stay so bad, we got rid of one of our good scoring midfielders!"

I thought his departure was a foregone conclusion and they had moved on to Coentrao. No?

Does anyone here think Dempsey isn't a PL-quality player?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake