The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I dont think Sunderland would hurt his career. They are void of options up top and he would get the playing time that he needs. I don't know if he would be as good as Benteke has been this season, but I could see him scoring 12-15 goals for Sunderland.

You misunderstood. I'd have to root for him to suck, and if he DID suck, it would hurt his US career :)

As for the game, can Beckerman please never ever be on our roster again? What a difference a half makes. He played like a little girl--and that's an insult to little girls everywhere. He never, ever looked upfield when receiving the ball--just kept knocking it back. Diskeruud (sp?) and Holden were excellent out there today. I can't believe it, but we may have a B side with some teeth.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You guys might be looking at the biggest Mix Diskerud fan in the country. He and Holden were great out there last night.

Stout

Reaction score
How in the flying EFF does JK put BECKERMAN in the starting lineup? How does JK sit Gomez? Just stupid decisions. Gomez/Wond--okay, they both hit the scoreboard, so I could excuse that. Playing Beckerman over Holden after Beckerman played like hot garbage? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Thankfully it's Belize.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they're ready to give Holden 90 minutes yet, but with the quick turn around times and lousy opponents, I think they're going to use a lot of different lineups anyhow. He was mostly excellent again tonight.

And weak opposition or not, I think its safe to say Landon Donovan is back.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
How in the flying EFF does JK put BECKERMAN in the starting lineup? How does JK sit Gomez? Just stupid decisions. Gomez/Wond--okay, they both hit the scoreboard, so I could excuse that. Playing Beckerman over Holden after Beckerman played like hot garbage? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Thankfully it's Belize.

I was thinking the same thing but he said in his press conference that he held out Gomez and Onyewu because of their past knee problems and limited Holden's playing time for the same reason. He didn't want to risk them on that turf. I can understand especially considering the opponent.

Beckerman had one good assist but otherwise was his normal below average self with turnovers and back passes. I am thinking he is this cycles Bornstein...a coach favorite.

BTW did anyone catch who was responsible for marking that free Belize player on the goal? I didn't notice myself.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW did anyone catch who was responsible for marking that free Belize player on the goal? I didn't notice myself.

By the looks of it, no one was responsible. That was a horribly defended free kicks. This team has got to get better at defending free kicks.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
By the looks of it, no one was responsible. That was a horribly defended free kicks. This team has got to get better at defending free kicks.

I just read Parkhurst was responsible for marking the player who scored. It appears he was ball watching and lost his man.

The team needs to deal with all set pieces better, that used to be a strength for the US but it is really lacking now.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird start time for Saturday's game vs. Cuba, noon AZ time on plain old Fox.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This game should be out of reach by now but 2-1 USA at 60 minutes. Offensive killer instinct is lacking.

Castillo was burned and *****'s mark scored. Donovan with a PK and Corona with a great goal.

I am a little concerned that all three subs were used up by the 58th minute.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Wondo is gonna get the golden boot. lol

I will be at their next two games. Hartford will be fun and then Baltimore for the knockout rounds.

Can't wait!

Stout

Reaction score
That game could have been 10-0. Seriously. JK gets the huge kudos for coaching a masterpiece here. They were giving El Salvador conniption fits on the corners. Sure, they got back into it with that penalty--and give them thumbs up for having the balls to go for it in the early second half. We weathered the storm, though, and whereas our stale American coaches would have bunkered, JK attacked. And it was the right call. Eddie Johnson, OMFG!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It was so much fun being in the building yesterday. Sitting in the AO section having dudes chuck beer from all over the stadium at us.

My favorite chant: Estados unidos!

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

This man is ready for Brazil.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Up 2-0 at the break after being robbed of a clear red card penalty kick offense. I'll take it, and forgive the ref for not having the angle. If the game were 0-0, I would be a lot less forgiving ;)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
What a horrible place to play soccer.

Horrible Pitch.
Horrible field width.
Horrible sight lines for the camera. Way too far from the field.
Corners with less than 3 feet of clearance for corner kicks.
GREEN SAND!!!!????!!!

Concacaf should be embarrassed. This game in Phoenix or Houston would have been much better.

Stout

Reaction score
Okay, I changed my mind. That ref was absolute garbage. They maul our players, and since our coach dares to get upset with brutal fouls going uncalled, he gets sent off? I take it back, he wasn't garbage--that insults the word garbage.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Klinsmann suspended for the final. That's a really harsh punishment given the infraction.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake