The Official US Soccer thread

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing quite like somebody showing up to a long running thread to tell us we must not watch soccer.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well we had better beat up on Azerbeijan tonight. Funny how their head coach is on the US staff as well...think we have an accurate scouting report?

The starting lineup looks like the most likely starting lineup against Ghana.

I must complain about 10PM kick offs for us east coast fans. It has to kill ratings.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The US is a definite work in progress. They looked good at times but need some fine tuning and maybe to build some chemistry.

I was planning on only watching the first half but now feel I have to watch the whole thing

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm starting to get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Poor mistakes, mental errors, lousy in possession, playing the long ball way too often, little creativity...all against Azerbaijan. And a Dempsey injury. Not a good sign. At all.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Poor mistakes, mental errors, lousy in possession, playing the long ball way too often, little creativity...all against Azerbaijan. And a Dempsey injury. Not a good sign. At all.

+1

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sounds familiar. Amazing how little has changed since the last WC.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Sounds familiar. Amazing how little has changed since the last WC.

Only the strengthens the reason to look towards 18 and really the pointless reason for Landon to be on the team. Its like the Lakers this year no reason for kobe to come back they aren't winning the title mine as well look towards the future and see what you have on the biggest stage in the world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only the strengthens the reason to look towards 18 and really the pointless reason for Landon to be on the team. Its like the Lakers this year no reason for kobe to come back they aren't winning the title mine as well look towards the future and see what you have on the biggest stage in the world.

I just don't see why he would be good enough to play to qualify for yhe WC, thrn leave him off the WC squad.

Like I said after the last WC, don't play the "olds" so much, develop the youngs even if you miss out on the WC.

No one listened. :)

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I just don't see why he would be good enough to play to qualify for yhe WC, thrn leave him off the WC squad.

Like I said after the last WC, don't play the "olds" so much, develop the youngs even if you miss out on the WC.

No one listened. :)

LOL people should have listened. I think he only played in qualifiers to have that name recognition for the casual fans to fill the seats and pull ratings. I do believe if he was in shape and played well he would have played himself on the team but donovan himself gave JK a reason to leave him off.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He was worn out mentally and physically...struggling to get over his divorce and had been playing non stop for years and felt he needed a break.

I see. I haven't followed US soccer as closely as some of you, but I find it hard to fault either side. Landon for needing that time off to get right, and JK for leaving him off after bailing on him and his teammates.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

That is foolish, why try to qualify at all? If you just want to go the way of Poland or Latvia to develop young kids, who cares about the World Cup? It's pretty expensive to send a team there just to lose, and probably horribly. JK made some strides, but now he's of the mind to just write off the 2014 world cup? Is that why we hired him? Stupidity. Tantamount to tanking. And in the World Cup no less!

When we look bad in 2018, are you going to turn around and say, "Wait until 2022!"

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is foolish, why try to qualify at all? If you just want to go the way of Poland or Latvia to develop young kids, who cares about the World Cup? It's pretty expensive to send a team there just to lose, and probably horribly. JK made some strides, but now he's of the mind to just write off the 2014 world cup? Is that why we hired him? Stupidity. Tantamount to tanking. And in the World Cup no less!

When we look bad in 2018, are you going to turn around and say, "Wait until 2022!"

Ya, don't choose to go young weeks prior to the WC. Do it in the days after the last one.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

It is even more foolish when reality says this team is actually OLDER than the 2010 team was in average age. They mentioned it during last nights broadcast.

Lets face it Dempsey 31, Davis 32, Beasley 32, Wondolowski 31, Beckerman 32, Jones 32, Howard 35, Rimando 34 are all on their last WC roster. If we were playing for 2018 none of them would be there this summer.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It is even more foolish when reality says this team is actually OLDER than the 2010 team was in average age. They mentioned it during last nights broadcast.

Lets face it Dempsey 31, Davis 32, Beasley 32, Wondolowski 31, Beckerman 32, Jones 32, Howard 35, Rimando 34 are all on their last WC roster. If we were playing for 2018 none of them would be there this summer.

Bingo!

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

If you really look at it the only reason this team is older starting lineup wise is because howard is 4 years older which doesn't matter because great goalies last forever and altidore was 20 in 2010. In 2010 they had 5 starters 28 or older. This year you are looking at 3 and thats if jones starts.

Nobody not even JK thinks they can win the cup they just dont have the talent. 4 years from now will be the closest chance they will have for the foreseeable future. The US U20 team leaves much to be desired as the future. Why not get the guys together who for the most part will be the same guys in 4 years and get the chemistry there for 18.

The World Cup is a cash cow and they make way more just in merch than they spend going there and qualifying. Plus I believe FIFA pays for a chunk of expenses like the buses for travel.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nobody not even JK thinks they can win the cup they just dont have the talent. 4 years from now will be the closest chance they will have for the foreseeable future. The US U20 team leaves much to be desired as the future. Why not get the guys together who for the most part will be the same guys in 4 years and get the chemistry there for 18.

The World Cup is a cash cow and they make way more just in merch than they spend going there and qualifying. Plus I believe FIFA pays for a chunk of expenses like the buses for travel.

Because this is the World Cup. You don't do that in a tournament that happens every 4 years, one that you spent 2+ years trying to qualify for. I get the argument, and I guess you can argue that it makes sense to suck for a bit to let the young guys gain experience and grow together. But this isn't the tournament you do that in.
As I said before, I don't follow US Soccer as closely as some in this thread, but after reading the responses here, and some of the things I read online, it was a power move. The lesson for everybody else is you're with us all the way or ****. I saw something similar w/ Chile a number of years ago. David Pizarro excluded himself from the national team during a time they needed him. He was starting for AS Roma at the time and the team needed him in the middle. He missed out on the WC last year, and wanted in this time around. You won't be seeing him in Brazil

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The "youth" argument is one of those zombie ideas that just won't freaking die no matter how many times you put your boot on it.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If you really look at it the only reason this team is older starting lineup wise is because howard is 4 years older which doesn't matter because great goalies last forever and altidore was 20 in 2010. In 2010 they had 5 starters 28 or older. This year you are looking at 3 and thats if jones starts.

I got news for you we aren't winning in 2018 either. You have to go in to every WC trying to get as far as you can, to do otherwise is an insult to fans and players.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I got news for you we aren't winning in 2018 either. You have to go in to every WC trying to get as far as you can, to do otherwise is an insult to fans and players.

Do you agree they have a better chance in 18 especially if green develops into the player the USMNT thinks he will? Green has to be the savior he is far and away the best U20 player for the country. US is the 14th ranked team in the world. Some people dont understand that no non European team has ever won the world cup ranked outside the top 3. The lowest ranked team to ever win was France in 98 and I dont think anyone can say this team would beat that one. Just because its the WC does not mean we have to be unrealistic.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The same U20 team that failed to win a game at their last world cup? I don't have the optimism that you have in our youth. Klinsmann didn't even select the best player from the U20 team in Gil.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake