The Official US Soccer thread

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
ESPN has a list of potential candidates. Klopp is obviously the dream, but the first couple on the list beyond that are probably the more realistic choices.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN has a list of potential candidates. Klopp is obviously the dream, but the first couple on the list beyond that are probably the more realistic choices.

I'd be happy with a lot of people on that list. Wagner, Pochettino, Tuchel would all be nice choices. Like everyone has said, Klopp is obvious the right choice here.

What would a Brinks truck full of cash even look like 7 or 8M per year for Klopp? That can EASILY be made back up with new sponsorships and new fans.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
lol. Jurgen Klinnsman was twice the coach that Gregg was.
Not disagreeing.

Oddly, I think both of their strengths were away from the actual matches though

I think Klinsmann did a solid job of challenging the US soccer system, looking at youth development and really pushing to get players more international experience.

From player accounts, a lot of them credit Gregg with challenging them in training on certain aspects and techniques within their game. He also did a good job selling the team and program to players with multi-national options.

Hopefully the next candidate, whoever it is, can build on that and continue to progress the off the field stuff - but also really challenge the players in match lead up, make it a competitive environment and develop a style of play that is adjustable to a match specific strategy ...... And then be able to adjust and tweak based on how it's working and the match is playing out

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah, Klopp was always pipe dream stuff - he'd need to have a desire to build a profile in the US and to be here ...... If he did, then you throw a bucket of cash & control his way and let him do his thing

If he doesn't and really just wants to reset, then the money and home WC in a massive market just doesn't resonate

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
My guess is that it will be one of the candidates who are coaching MLS (Cherundolo, Nancy, and Curtin). David Wagner, Hugo Perez, and Javier Aguirre are the options listed in that article that are most intriguing to me.

Pochettino and Tuchel are the two well known names outside of Klopp, but not sure they are all that realistic as fits.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If they go MLS, I'm not watching a game until the WC. Even then, I'll be less than enthusiastic. Some of the foreign names have serious potential. Real bummer about Klopp.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I find Gallardo interesting as well as Renard and Pochettino. Frank also seems to fit the bill. A agree, no MLS guys or guys with ties to US soccer.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I find Gallardo interesting as well as Renard and Pochettino. Frank also seems to fit the bill. A agree, no MLS guys or guys with ties to US soccer.

I didn't make it very far down the list that ESPN put out. I don't know much about Gallardo. I saw some talk about Tuchel, even heard a shout for the chosen one. I'm not a fan of those guys. IDK about Pochettino. I have my doubts about him, but he has managed a long time in the PL. I think Wagner is someone that I would be interested in. He did a fine job at Norwich and he plays a very progressive style.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't take no for an answer. double the offer and throw in a trade to send Alexi Lalas abroad somewhere.
Klopp won't take any job without 6 months sabbatical first. Well he might take it, but not actually work. He truly loved and is loved by Liverpool. He would have stayed without this sabbatical.

Am I the only one that likes Lalas? He calls it how he sees it, and isn't afraid at all to call out US Soccer when needed.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't make it very far down the list that ESPN put out. I don't know much about Gallardo. I saw some talk about Tuchel, even heard a shout for the chosen one. I'm not a fan of those guys. IDK about Pochettino. I have my doubts about him, but he has managed a long time in the PL. I think Wagner is someone that I would be interested in. He did a fine job at Norwich and he plays a very progressive style.
I'd legit want someone from MLS than Jose. Seriously.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
How important is previous international coaching experience? Honest question - I’m not sure. Obviously not a requirement, but getting guys together a couple of times per year is a lot different than managing a club team and I can see the advantage of bringing in someone with that experience (that’s part of the reason Perez and Aguirre were two of the three guys most intriguing to me).

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Klopp won't take any job without 6 months sabbatical first. Well he might take it, but not actually work. He truly loved and is loved by Liverpool. He would have stayed without this sabbatical.

Am I the only one that likes Lalas? He calls it how he sees it, and isn't afraid at all to call out US Soccer when needed.
maybe you are. I respect him and other pundits for being honest about US Soccer. I don't enjoy his commentary a lot of the time, particularly when he's paired with international partners.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I want a manager who is going to expect the absolute best out of each and every player and who is willing to step on any player who doesn't perform up to expectations. One who is willing to drop or bench a fan favorite or big name player if a younger lesser known player is out performing the big name. I want someone who is going to promote an aggressive up tempo style of play.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe you are. I respect him and other pundits for being honest about US Soccer. I don't enjoy his commentary a lot of the time, particularly when he's paired with international partners.
Interesting. I guess I'm in the minority. I'm okay with that.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Interesting. I guess I'm in the minority. I'm okay with that.
for sure. you are a Liverpool fan so I know sometimes being in the minority is not normal. only joking.

Honestly I will admit that I have been impressed with Lalas' recent takes on US Soccer and I think his voice along with the rest of the pundits are a big part of greg being fired.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I want a manager who is going to expect the absolute best out of each and every player and who is willing to step on any player who doesn't perform up to expectations. One who is willing to drop or bench a fan favorite or big name player if a younger lesser known player is out performing the big name. I want someone who is going to promote an aggressive up tempo style of play.
absolutely. this team needs accountability. they need to know that their roster spots and place in the first 15/20 are not a guarantee. and they need someone who will help them mature a lot more than greg did. if you think about recent events with US Soccer we have Weah punching a player, Dest recently had 2 red cards for losing his temper. Pulisic confronting refs on the pitch in a way that he probably should have been suspended. This is behavior that cannot happen. McKennie had issues in the past and Greg actually punished him. It seemed to work with Weston, but Greg seems unwilling to do anything anymore and my guess is that he lost some trust with some of his players after the World Cup.

The manager needs to control his players and then take care of the other stuff so the players can focus on winning. I don't think Greg's standards were ever high enough for this team. he seems like a manager who just wants to get by and hope for something good to happen.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Pretty much expecting we'll end up with another MLS mediocrity like Cherundolo. I expect nothing out of US soccer leadership - they're hopeless.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I like Lalas in that he isn't afraid to speak his mind, no matter what. Agree or disagree with his takes he is not being controlled by USSF or the media. I feel similarly with Carli Lloyd, she speaks her mind and it is refreshing.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I like Lalas in that he isn't afraid to speak his mind, no matter what. Agree or disagree with his takes he is not being controlled by USSF or the media. I feel similarly with Carli Lloyd, she speaks her mind and it is refreshing.
true, that's why for me at times it is refreshing, other times not so much. the thing that bothers me the most is the kick em while their down shots that he takes at other international pundits, especially coming from an American where we have accomplished very little internationally. but that's just me because I would be more humble in those situations. I understand he is a paid entertainer and he has a unique talent to do what he does. Lalas is somewhat of a cult hero in US circles because of the 94 WC and I can respect that.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Pretty much expecting we'll end up with another MLS mediocrity like Cherundolo. I expect nothing out of US soccer leadership - they're hopeless.
I was going to make this post yesterday and restrained myself. damn!

that said I like Cherundolo and I would be ok with him being discussed for the job perhaps after the next WC. now is not the time. If we were going with an American I would much rather Jesse Marcsh since he's at least had success managing abroad, but too late for that.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
It is refreshing to watch the women play today. not only are they playing with a lot of positivity, but they are inspiring. the 99 team getting celebrated today was also inspiring. the women are really playing with a lot of energy and pace.