The Players Have Quit on the Coaches

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Both Cardinals and Suns players are having issues with effort this season. Perhaps it's something in the water in Arizona :p

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t blame them! When you don’t believe in what you’re taught & with poor results, it’s enevitable!

Michael has to clean house for the sake of 5-6 players that are his core players going forward
To be successful - Gotta clean the right house...use the right broom...& find the right furniture.

Easier said than done.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It makes no sense to fire a coach/position coach in-season. You're not going to replace him with someone better, you can't hire someone. You're basically leaving your team short-handed and creating panic in your office.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Moments after M.Bidwill fires Wilks;

Security Guard: Coach, which exit do you want to use?

Wilks: A Gap Exit

Security Guard: Good Call, It should be unblocked

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Moments after M.Bidwill fires Wilks;

Security Guard: Coach, which exit do you want to use?

Wilks: A Gap Exit

Security Guard: Good Call, It should be unblocked

Here’s how Michael B can offset the cost of firing Wilks: Bet money on Wilks and then immediately fire him. Of course that won’t work, but dreaming is free

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We have different expectations & philosophies of what a captain & leader is & that’s ok.

Yes Fitz, Chandler, Buddha, Peters etc are leaders but I wasn’t going to name names other than #21. Those guys give it their all & best almost all of the time. Can you really say Pat P is doing EVERYTHING he can to improve the Arizona Cardinals? I can’t. Tackling , half assed play returning punts & repeatedly throwing you hands up in frustration & sometimes lackluster effort in chasing receivers have rubbed me the wrong way.

Chopper he threw the towel in, waved the white flag, wanted out & demanded a trade at the sign of adversity. Imo real leaders don’t do that! He basically quite on his teammates & coaches by doing that & said “screw you guys I’m taking care of me”. He committed to this organization a few years back & should have shut his mouth, played out his contract & left. I think if Wilks is here in 2019, Pat P won’t be.

Again it’s ok to disagree but he doesn’t deserve the C on his jersey Imo for the reasons stated. And yes, I’ve heard other media say the same thing. Just my 2 cents

Patrick Peterson threw up his hands and said I want no part of this staff. That is leading. He is still battling with his teammates which is why they voted him as their captain, but he is voicing his displeasure is the way he feels is best. I'm choosing to assume that his trade demand was not the first time he has complained about this staff. My guess is that he was told to give this new regime a shot, which he did, and now feels like it is his responsibility to voice his "I told you so" after the fact.

I completely back Peterson showing young players that if they don't like the direction that the organization is going, they should do what is best for them and get out. I wouldn't want to be part of an organization that ships out the best co-workers, brings in crappy replacements, puts me in a position to fail, demonstrates ineptitude, and could cost me money.

Oh, and Patrick Peterson was voted as a captain by Bene Benwikere, Deone Bucannon, Sam Bradford, Phil Dawson, and Andre Smith. How have the Cardinals coaches and the organization backed those guys? Did the organization shut it's mouth and honor their contracts? It sure didn't so why would I hold Patrick Peterson to any more or less of a standard?

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess I come from the old school of thinking. Give 100% on every play, or get out. I don't want you.

But, I know that money has gotten too big and sports is no longer a team sport, but it's all about ME.

I hate those celebrations. It doesn't teach teamwork or sportsmanship. IMO.

Now off my :soapbox:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It makes no sense to fire a coach/position coach in-season. You're not going to replace him with someone better, you can't hire someone. You're basically leaving your team short-handed and creating panic in your office.
In this case it would be damage control to fire coach.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The whole issue of "quitting" is full of nuance -

Not playing hard physically is quitting.

But what about losing concentration and getting pulled offside? Is that quitting? Or is it merely a mental letdown? Or what about ignoring pregame caution not to throw into triple coverage or, when everyone is covered, to chuck it into the nickek seats?

I don't think many Card players think they're quitting, yet they do so in so many subtle ways. (That's why you have coaches)

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Still think the players and coaches have quit?

I think that the players are playing for each other and the fans. And it says a lot about their character. Except for Brandon Williams and a few others, this is a great group of guys. I admire them for playing hard under poor leadership.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still think the players and coaches have quit?
No.

They didn't give up physically.

Mentally, they had a few lapses, but were pretty on top of things most of the time.

Room for Improvement: Finishing tackles, keeping Rodgers inside contain and winning more one-on-one battles for the ball.

OL wasn't perfect, but showed improvement.

Rosen still has a way to go, but is on the right track along the learning curve.

Temptation is to overreact and forgive-all after a big win. I do think this victory earns Wilks the opportunity to coach out the season. But (win or not) his team will still have to prove it can play at a high level...and actually do so consistently throughout the balance of of the season for the Cards not to make a change.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
No.

They didn't give up physically.

Mentally, they had a few lapses, but were pretty on top of things most of the time.

Room for Improvement: Finishing tackles, keeping Rodgers inside contain and winning more one-on-one battles for the ball.

OL wasn't perfect, but showed improvement.

Rosen still has a way to go, but is on the right track along the learning curve.

Temptation is to overreact and forgive-all after a big win. I do think this victory earns Wilks the opportunity to coach out the season. But (win or not) his team will still have to prove it can play at a high level...and actually do so consistently throughout the balance of of the season for the Cards not to make a change.
Amen Jeff my thoughts exactly.

I still think Wilks & his conservative HC philosophy won’t keep him employed very long in the NFL in this era of offense.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Or the scheme changed. He is the best 1 on 1 man in the league. Why change that and try to stuff a square peg into a round hole?
He did just that with the whole defense! Good riddance & I hope Michael & Keim (if back) learned a hard lesson.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Or the scheme changed. He is the best 1 on 1 man in the league. Why change that and try to stuff a square peg into a round hole?

PP said himself he was excited to play Wilks scheme (zone coverage) then he requests to be traded midseason. It just goes to show that players don't always know best.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
PP said himself he was excited to play Wilks scheme (zone coverage) then he requests to be traded midseason. It just goes to show that players don't always know best.
I think he said it in support of his new coach. But PP knows what he does best. Thus his “I want out of here rant”.