The Positive Kyler Murray News Thread

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thought I’d cut your argument down to the chase.
Can look at the Broncos. Payton has Russ going from washed/bloated contract to solid QB with a passer rating in 100s..

Its possible that we just really need to see the full process play out before we see the tangible results. It jus that Denver has a proven offensive mind in Payton. Do we have the same amount of talent on offense as Denver? Im not quite sure.

Maybe Michael Wilson can be Sutton. Just need him healthy.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What you’ve stated is true. However, he severely under threw both balls to Brown. He severely missed McBride and under threw him last week. I refuse to believe that was by design. He doesn’t seem to be throwing receivers open which might lead some to believe he’s late on his reads and leads to contested catches.

He does have the ability with some Superman efforts to make plays and overcome the team’s deficiencies and that’s the teetering point here.

Also too many times his footwork is terrible. He throws off his back foot way too often even when he has time. Bad habit or shell shocked?

I’m not bagging on him. I’m just seeing things that concern me.
So, in your 1st paragraph, you’re saying that Murray has to be perfect all the time? Yes, he underthrew Brown & it was picked. But, should it have been? Brown is considered our WR1, and yet he got totally outmuscled on that one. A legit WR1 either pulls that down or at least breaks up the play. That was a first down play too. Even if it was incomplete, we keep the drive going. And it was a drive that had already gotten two 1st downs. Murray is still working on a MAJOR shift in footwork that Petzing has made imperative moving forward. The kid deserves more credit than you’re giving him. Murray took responsibility also for the poo pass to McBride also & even said his footwork got messed up. This is a huge change to what his footwork has been all his life. And he’s trying NOT to resort back to how he used to do it. He’s made that commitment to Petzing and the Cardinals.

And throwing off your back foot has become almost routine with the athletic QB’s in the NFL. Petzing is not trying to coach that OUT of him. In fact, it’s now encouraged in most NFL coaching circles. I hear that multiple times each week watching replays of other games, so what Murray is doing, is what he’s being coached to do. We’re old school guys, and I played QB when I was younger. I was definitely taught NOT to do that, but times they are a changing lol.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like ALWAYS, there you go putting words into people’s mouths. Cut the crap!!
That’s what your post amounted to.

Do you really want me to pull up your posts from earlier in the season, when you were saying FINALLY Kyler has coaching, a running game a better offensive line and some weapons to throw to and we can judge him based on that?

And now… Kyler struggles yesterday with a lot of his negative habits from last year and end of 2021 back on display and you STILL say WE CANT JUDGE HIM YET!!!

Sorry… my summation of your long, excuse filled post is spot on, IMO.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yes and no. The team who trades for Murray wouldn't be eating the remaining $46.2MM of his signing bonus, but they will be on the hook for his fully guaranteed salary in 2024 ($37 million) and 2025 ($18 million), plus an $11.9 million roster bonus paid in 2025.

There isn't a lot of precedent for moving a contract that large. The Rams turned over a first-round pick to dump Jared Goff's contract, but Kyler is a better player than 2020 Goff was.

The Houston Texans got a bounty for Deshaun Watson, but the Browns were deranged fools whom everyone in the NFL is mad at.
depends on the trade date... the 2025 salary is not fully guaranteed until March. so if they trade him before then the new team has a chance to renegotiate....which players are usually willing to do if said money becomes a check they cash today instead of next year....and honestly, if a team is trading high draft capital for him they are expecting him to be the franchise...in which case 40mil a year aint poo these days

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s what your post amounted to.

Do you really want me to pull up your posts from earlier in the season, when you were saying FINALLY Kyler has coaching, a running game a better offensive line and some weapons to throw to and we can judge him based on that?

And now… Kyler struggles yesterday with a lot of his negative habits from last year and end of 2021 back on display and you STILL say WE CANT JUDGE HIM YET!!!

Sorry… my summation of your long, excuse filled post is spot on, IMO.
Listen, you can agree to disagree with me, but don’t LITERALLY change my posts moving forward. Don’t do it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, in your 1st paragraph, you’re saying that Murray has to be perfect all the time? Yes, he underthrew Brown & it was picked. But, should it have been? Brown is considered our WR1, and yet he got totally outmuscled on that one. A legit WR1 either pulls that down or at least breaks up the play. That was a first down play too. Even if it was incomplete, we keep the drive going. And it was a drive that had already gotten two 1st downs. Murray is still working on a MAJOR shift in footwork that Petzing has made imperative moving forward. The kid deserves more credit than you’re giving him. Murray took responsibility also for the poo pass to McBride also & even said his footwork got messed up. This is a huge change to what his footwork has been all his life. And he’s trying NOT to resort back to how he used to do it. He’s made that commitment to Petzing and the Cardinals.

And throwing off your back foot has become almost routine with the athletic QB’s in the NFL. Petzing is not trying to coach that OUT of him. In fact, it’s now encouraged in most NFL coaching circles. I hear that multiple times each week watching replays of other games, so what Murray is doing, is what he’s being coached to do. We’re old school guys, and I played QB when I was younger. I was definitely taught NOT to do that, but times they are a changing lol.
Wow. A lot I disagree with you on this. The throw to Brown on both deep passes were grossly underthrown and instead of blaming Brown ( which I do agree on) good throws on both of those attempts would have been touchdowns. His pass to McBride last week was grossly underthrown but McBride made a great play.
Throwing off the back foot, uh uh. There are times when it’s necessary. But most times the Qb is moving forward as he comes through the ball, not falling backwards.
You can continue to color a forgiving picture for Murray. I give him credit for the work he’s put in and his apparent attitude change but I will not just sweep his mistakes or shortcomings under the rug.
If Sunday was Murray’s best, it’s not good enough.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's only been practicing with the team for about 4 weeks now so I expect there to be timing issues with his receivers. Hence throwing short & other misfires.
I’m not throwing dirt on the guy. Merely stating he has to get better.
Funny though when Dobbs came here nobody was pleading for time for him to get up to speed.
In his second week he lit it up in his 3 rd start best the Cowboys.
How much time did he have to learn a new offense and learn the timing of his receivers?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. A lot I disagree with you on this. The throw to Brown on both deep passes were grossly underthrown and instead of blaming Brown ( which I do agree on) good throws on both of those attempts would have been touchdowns. His pass to McBride last week was grossly underthrown but McBride made a great play.
Throwing off the back foot, uh uh. There are times when it’s necessary. But most times the Qb is moving forward as he comes through the ball, not falling backwards.
You can continue to color a forgiving picture for Murray. I give him credit for the work he’s put in and his apparent attitude change but I will not just sweep his mistakes or shortcomings under the rug.
If Sunday was Murray’s best, it’s not good enough.
No one said this was his best. Not even remotely close. But if you’re going to criticize the few bad plays, then you have to commend him for the many more good plays he made. The point that I’m trying to make is that the critics want only to look at a few plays & completely ignore what he’s done very well. You can’t have it both ways. All things being equal, Murray has had a promising return.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one said this was his best. Not even remotely close. But if you’re going to criticize the few bad plays, then you have to commend him for the many more good plays he made. The point that I’m trying to make is that the critics want only to look at a few plays & completely ignore what he’s done very well. You can’t have it both ways. All things being equal, Murray has had a promising return.
I have given him credit. His athleticism seems to provide boom or bust. The point is this can’t be his best. I don’t believe it’s his best.

I’ll even go further by saying this coaching staff needs to adjust to him too. But I don’t want this offense to be successful on Murray having to be Superman. If that’s the case we will probably lose more games than we win because one man cannot sustain success on super plays. Sometimes it’s doing just the simple things and letting other players make plays.

Bottom line, he HAS to get better. We will see.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Murray is our QBOF Stout. There is no universe where this April we draft a replacement QB.

To answer your question, you build around Murray and you win a championship. That's the path forward.
You don't win championships with highly expensive QBs that need highly expensive parts all around them. You win with either cheap young talent QBs that you can then spend around, or expensive QBs that can make it with one or two expensive pieces and are good enough to elevate the team around them and paper over the cracks in the roster.

Stout

Reaction score
Can look at the Broncos. Payton has Russ going from washed/bloated contract to solid QB with a passer rating in 100s..

Its possible that we just really need to see the full process play out before we see the tangible results. It jus that Denver has a proven offensive mind in Payton. Do we have the same amount of talent on offense as Denver? Im not quite sure.

Maybe Michael Wilson can be Sutton. Just need him healthy.
Russ is also a QB that has been there and done that many times before.

Stout

Reaction score
See, the criticism of the critics doesn't hold up at all, though. Last week, most posters--myself included--highly praised Kyler on his first game back. It wasn't perfect, but he showed some positive signs. Yesterday, he showed regression, so naturally he has more critics. It's just cause and effect.

Reaction score
I’m not throwing dirt on the guy. Merely stating he has to get better.
Funny though when Dobbs came here nobody was pleading for time for him to get up to speed.
In his second week he lit it up in his 3 rd start best the Cowboys.
How much time did he have to learn a new offense and learn the timing of his receivers?
We also saw high throws on anything over 15 yards.