The Positive Kyler Murray News Thread

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FWIW,

John Middlekauff said even after the Texans game that NFL personnel around the league are monitoring and liking what they see from Kyler 2 games after the ACL.

If he keeps improving there are teams who might offer a 1st round pick for him.
Are you saying that there might be a Kenny Pickett in our future? Can't wait. Or even a Zach Wilson.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let’s be honest here can we. How can we possibly evaluate Murray, when it’s blatantly obvious that we don’t have enough weapons around him to do so. It’s a joke if we really think that’s what MOJG are doing. They already KNOW what Murray can do & know they have to add weapons around him to get the results they so badly need. Like last year, we still need Murray to don a red Superman cape in order to be consistently good. We have but a few legit players on that offense (Murray, Conner when healthy, McBride, and Paris). And Paris has only scratched the surface, so we barely call him legit yet. Wilson didn’t play yesterday, and if he can somehow stay healthy, we might be able to add him to the legit list. We have NO WR1, and not even sure if we have a WR2. When Wilson is out, we don’t have an WR over 5’9” out there. Our LT is washed up. The interior of the OL is still below average. Our RT will be really good, but he’s a rookie. Our RB room has ZERO ability to create a big play, and that’s a HUGE problem for this offense. Bottom line, it’s not Petzing’s fault, it’s not Murray’s fault, it’s not even MOJG’s fault right now. It is what it is. This team purposely is going through a top to bottom rebuild & it’s brutally painful to endure. And I haven’t even discussed the Deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball lol. Hopefully, MO puts together a great upcoming draft & we add some legit talent in FA. So let’s be honest with ourselves. When this team needs a big play on offense, they still have to lean on Murray almost 100% of the time. More times than not, he can do it almost by himself. But, when your only legit threat is your QB, TE or RB, then it makes it so much easier for a defense to win that battle.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
FWIW,

John Middlekauff said even after the Texans game that NFL personnel around the league are monitoring and liking what they see from Kyler 2 games after the ACL.

If he keeps improving there are teams who might offer a 1st round pick for him.
This is crazy talk. Murray gets at least a 1st, if not significantly more.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s be honest here can we. How can we possibly evaluate Murray, when it’s blatantly obvious that we don’t have enough weapons around him to do so. It’s a joke if we really think that’s what MOJG are doing. They already KNOW what Murray can do & know they have to add weapons around him to get the results they so badly need. Like last year, we still need Murray to don a red Superman cape in order to be consistently good. We have but a few legit players on that offense (Murray, Conner when healthy, McBride, and Paris). And Paris has only scratched the surface, so we barely call him legit yet. Wilson didn’t play yesterday, and if he can somehow stay healthy, we might be able to add him to the legit list. We have NO WR1, and not even sure if we have a WR2. When Wilson is out, we don’t have an WR over 5’9” out there. Our LT is washed up. The interior of the OL is still below average. Our RT will be really good, but he’s a rookie. Our RB room has ZERO ability to create a big play, and that’s a HUGE problem for this offense. Bottom line, it’s not Petzing’s fault, it’s not Murray’s fault, it’s not even MOJG’s fault right now. It is what it is. This team purposely is going through a top to bottom rebuild & it’s brutally painful to endure. And I haven’t even discussed the Deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball lol. Hopefully, MO puts together a great upcoming draft & we add some legit talent in FA. So let’s be honest with ourselves. When this team needs a big play on offense, they still have to lean on Murray almost 100% of the time. More times than not, he can do it almost by himself. But, when your only legit threat is your QB, TE or RB, then it makes it so much easier for a defense to win that battle.
What you’ve stated is true. However, he severely under threw both balls to Brown. He severely missed McBride and under threw him last week. I refuse to believe that was by design. He doesn’t seem to be throwing receivers open which might lead some to believe he’s late on his reads and leads to contested catches.

He does have the ability with some Superman efforts to make plays and overcome the team’s deficiencies and that’s the teetering point here.

Also too many times his footwork is terrible. He throws off his back foot way too often even when he has time. Bad habit or shell shocked?

I’m not bagging on him. I’m just seeing things that concern me.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is crazy talk. Murray gets at least a 1st, if not significantly more.

If Murray was traded, the team receiving him wouldn't be paying top money for him since the Cardinals already paid up the signing bonus and such.
Yes and no. The team who trades for Murray wouldn't be eating the remaining $46.2MM of his signing bonus, but they will be on the hook for his fully guaranteed salary in 2024 ($37 million) and 2025 ($18 million), plus an $11.9 million roster bonus paid in 2025.

There isn't a lot of precedent for moving a contract that large. The Rams turned over a first-round pick to dump Jared Goff's contract, but Kyler is a better player than 2020 Goff was.

The Houston Texans got a bounty for Deshaun Watson, but the Browns were deranged fools whom everyone in the NFL is mad at.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Yes and no. The team who trades for Murray wouldn't be eating the remaining $46.2MM of his signing bonus, but they will be on the hook for his fully guaranteed salary in 2024 ($37 million) and 2025 ($18 million), plus an $11.9 million roster bonus paid in 2025.

There isn't a lot of precedent for moving a contract that large. The Rams turned over a first-round pick to dump Jared Goff's contract, but Kyler is a better player than 2020 Goff was.

The Houston Texans got a bounty for Deshaun Watson, but the Browns were deranged fools whom everyone in the NFL is mad at.
Teams are desperate for good QB play. The fact that Jimmy G got another shot and Baker got his third shot demonstrate that.

$37 million isn't too big a number for a QB who has shown he can play pretty well with a good supporting cast.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams are desperate for good QB play. The fact that Jimmy G got another shot and Baker got his third shot demonstrate that.

$37 million isn't too big a number for a QB who has shown he can play pretty well with a good supporting cast.
lol! Is it too soon to start arguing which QB we should take in the draft?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't want to take a QB in the draft. A healthy Murray with a better supporting cast is good enough.
I'm not sold on that yet. Decent first game, a lot of the old bad habits in the 2nd game. Bad habit KM is certainly not good enough. But, then, I'm not sold on any of the QBs in this draft either, so...shrug. Not sure what to do at this point.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sold on that yet. Decent first game, a lot of the old bad habits in the 2nd game. Bad habit KM is certainly not good enough. But, then, I'm not sold on any of the QBs in this draft either, so...shrug. Not sure what to do at this point.
Totally with you on this

Not sold on Maye or Caleb at this point with Caleb having the most red flags

If MHJ is not there when we pick I'm not against trading down or picking Bo Nix just to have some young talent for a backup QB and you never know, he may be the best of the 3 of them

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Murray needs a true #1 receiver. Brown isn't cutting it.

Reaction score
What you’ve stated is true. However, he severely under threw both balls to Brown. He severely missed McBride and under threw him last week. I refuse to believe that was by design. He doesn’t seem to be throwing receivers open which might lead some to believe he’s late on his reads and leads to contested catches.

He does have the ability with some Superman efforts to make plays and overcome the team’s deficiencies and that’s the teetering point here.

Also too many times his footwork is terrible. He throws off his back foot way too often even when he has time. Bad habit or shell shocked?

I’m not bagging on him. I’m just seeing things that concern me.
He's only been practicing with the team for about 4 weeks now so I expect there to be timing issues with his receivers. Hence throwing short & other misfires.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Murray is our QBOF Stout. There is no universe where this April we draft a replacement QB.

To answer your question, you build around Murray and you win a championship. That's the path forward.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray is our QBOF Stout. There is no universe where this April we draft a replacement QB.

To answer your question, you build around Murray and you win a championship. That's the path forward.

This stated with such authority on a day where Kyler put up a meager 16 points… eh… forget it. I keep forgetting we can’t have actual adult discussions in the Kyler Fan Safe Space thread.